Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: William Gairdner & Steve Paikin Reply with quote

From William Gairdner's website/blog...

Tuesday night, January 10th, I will be interviewed on "The Agenda" by host Steve Paikin, of TVO. This will be an interesting night. I did a number of interviews with Steve many moons ago, when the first edition of The Trouble With Canada came out, and especially after The War Against the Family, which quite rattled him.

Last night, he tried to rattle Graham Fraser, the Chief of our Language Police a little. But he should have hammered him. Fraser was the epitome of the smooth-talking, evasive bureaucrat promoting our coercive language regime as a cultural boon. Chapter 14 of my new book (entitled "French-Fried") exposes our language-police regime for what it really is: a $1.8 billion dollars-per-year tax-funded program for political control of Canada via appeasement of Quebec. There are better solutions that would do honour to a freer people, in my chapter.

Gairdner's background is impressive, once an athlete, a professor, has a doctorate degree, successful businessman and writer.

Frankly, after Political Science Professor Salim Mansur (Univeristy of Western Ontario) and columnist with the Toronto Sun mentioned his book "The Trouble With Canada...Still" I paid attention and purchased his book. After reading and studying it, hi-liting key points, I wil certianly pay more attention. He said he is/was a libertarian conservative, something like that.

Before 9/11 I paid little attention to politics... not anymore.

http://www.williamgairdner.com/welcome/

I look forward to comments or another thread afterwards.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidently, TVO has another date for William Gairdner but he wasn't aware.

Due to a misunderstanding between TVO and Key Porter, the TVO interview with Steve Paikin on "The Agenda," though it was indeed taped yesterday, January 10th, did not show that evening.

When I inquired, Steve said they rarely do author interviews the same day, and has promised to give us notice of the air date, when known.

The interview turned out to be quite lively and effervescent. I hope you will enjoy it when the time comes.

Meanwhile, the book is selling well (as serious books go). Key Porter, which sadly has suspended operations and, I suspect, will soon be sold to another house, has just about run out of the first 5,000 copies, and will be faced soon with a decision to reprint.

The book was #1 in all three categories of "politics" on Amazon.ca again this morning, and has been bouncing around at the top for the past two months. We have done over 26 media shows on the book already, 23 of which have been radio from various parts of Canada.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad he is still around. Gairdner was out there around the time that Reform was starting off in Ontario. He appeared at some Reform functions until Manning passed down some sort of decree that he was not to appear at Reform sponsored events. I guess Gairdner didn't offter Presty a share of the book sales of the day (The Trouble With Canada).
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Tuesday, January 18th Reply with quote

Steve Paikin, Anchor and Senior Editor of TVO wrote yesterday to confirm that our interview on "The Agenda" will be aired Tuesday night, January 18th, at 8 p.m., and again at 11 p.m.

It's not for me to judge the quality of this interview, as my book and I were in the hot seat. However, I do think it may be the first time anyone in Canada has said in public that it is beginning to look like "the modern democracies are incompatible with human freedom." That shocks most people because democracy, even as undefined a concept as it obviously is, at least in the public mind, has served as the culmination and final hope of the Western world's search for a complete political formula for the good life.

The day after I said this when taping The Agenda show, I received a book by the excellent British Writer Kenneth Minogue, the subtitle of which states: "Democracy is undermining the moral life."

So this theme is in the air, as they say.

In retrospect, I think that was the main message of my two former books The War Against the Family (1992) and The Trouble With Democracy (2001).

In The Trouble With Canada ... Still!, the complex and not always intended dynamic of this undermining process and the truth of this statement, is made quite explicit.

Last edited by Edmund Onward James on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night was the first time I saw and heard William Gairdner. He has a quick and intelligent mind. He responded to Steve Paikin's questions, educated him, and focused on his views.

Paikin asked him: "How do we see ourselves?"

Gairdner said: It's a conceit, not particularly true. We exchanged Liberty for Equality.

Gairdner has read the Charter of Rights several times. I haven't even read all of PART I.

Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
PART I OF THE CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/

Now unelected judges make laws or change them.

William Gairdner said: We once were a Maker society now we are a Taker society.

I plaigerize:

1/3 work in the private sector, create wealth
1/3 work for governments, from municipalties upward, as well as services contracted
1/3 receive assistance in some way for some reason

The latter two gang up on the private sector and wealth creators.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video of Paikin & Gairdner
http://www.tvo.org/TVO/WebObje.....6053785001

I listened to the interview again and do not agree with all of Gairdner's points and answers, such as this one. Paikin asked him are there any political leaders that are looking out for the next generation [economically etc]. Gairdner said he couldn't. But he said all modern Western democracies are out of control due to deficit spending and debts.

I thiink Prime Minister Stephen Harper is concerned and wants to bring down the debt, but requires a majority to be judged.

Jump to: