Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Liberals and their mental gymnastics Reply with quote

I am having a debate with an acquaintance over the gun registry that has turned into something of a debate on ideologies. The following is a transcript of the most recent bits.

Arrogant Liberal: david, ron paul type of libertarian thinking doesn't work in real life, people tend to abuse things and his utopian concept of free market will never work unless there are strong/strict regulations. Strict regulation even though they might not work sometimes but in the end they enforce the law and over time are good for the society.

Its time for change david and soon you will see true changes as protests are starting all over canada. People are starting to see the realharper and people made the point through protests during G20 even though harper tried his best to shut down the voices of people.

Teenage Tory: Ron Paul isn't an anarchist. Of course the state should prevent crimes against life, liberty, property etc. But why should the state have any say on a voluntary transaction between individuals?

Please find some examples of your strict regulations and what they would prevent, as well as justification for overriding the will of the people involved in what is being regulated.

The last paragraph is hyperbole at best and propaganda at worst. Besides if people want change they can put their x next to someone else at the ballot box. Lastly, rioting is not the voice of the people, it is mere vandalism and violence.

Arrogant Liberal: yah at the end of the day it all comes down to the ideology you follow, i believe a soceity with strict regulation is better off than a one with no regulations. I mean just look at canada's banking system compare to america's. Ty to liberals, Canada survived the recession due to regulations that were imposed on the banks , while america's so called free market/banks apparently failed them.

And david judging by your comment, i can see that your still an avid harper supporter, but look at reality, he tried his best to shut down the voices of the people during G20. My cousin was in the protests and he told me that they were using batons at the protesters. Wake up and face the reality that Canada is becoming a police state ruled by dictator Harper..

This is typical of the leftists I have to deal with on a daily basis. One minute they argue for regulation of everything, and the next they start talking about the Harper dictatorship. Any ideas on how to talk to people like this?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Liberals and their mental gymnastics Reply with quote

teenagetory wrote:

Arrogant Liberal: yah at the end of the day it all comes down to the ideology you follow, i believe a soceity with strict regulation is better off than a one with no regulations. I mean just look at canada's banking system compare to america's. Ty to liberals, Canada survived the recession due to regulations that were imposed on the banks , while america's so called free market/banks apparently failed them.

This comment pisses me off to NO END.

The Bank Act was passed in 1991, by the great Liberal Party Leader Brian Mulroney...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Bank_Act

You should also look up the tally as to who voted for it and who voted against it....

And the trouble with the United States issue is that Sub prime mortgages became allowed in 1993

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....Background

As I recall as part of this "American Dream for Everyone" movement by the Democrats. Going my memory I seem to remember a series of speeches to the effect that No America should be denied their right to the American Dream...etc etc.

I think the one thing that Liberals need to be credited for is their constant attempt to re-write history.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to explain his thinking a bit:

Strict regulations on business = Reigning in the rich and powerful

Cracking down on violent protesters = Silencing the weak and disenfranchised

I don't agree with that line of thinking, but its internally consistent in the sense that your friend wants to "level the playing field". It basically goes back to strict egalitarianism... at any cost.

What I would bring up to your friend, if I were you, is how the Liberals weren't all that good to protesters either during the Chretien era. IIRC, Chretien even started to choke a protester once. :lol: Furthermore, ask your friend what he thinks of Trudeau's handling of the FLQ Crisis. :wink:

You could also ask him what limits he thinks should be placed on protesters. I mean, ask him "Shouldn't Canada be able to host important international meetings and not have them disrupted by protesters?" These meetings happen for an important legitimate reason, and they'd never get anything done if protesters weren't contained to at least some degree.

Jump to: