Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Nobel winner slams Bible as 'handbook of bad morals' Reply with quote

Mon Oct 19, 11:14 AM

LISBON (AFP) - A row broke out in Portugal on Monday after a Nobel Prize-winning author denounced the Bible as a "handbook of bad morals".

Speaking at the launch of his new book "Cain", Jose Saramago, who won the 1998 Nobel Prize for Literature, said society would probably be better off without the Bible.

Roman Catholic Church leaders accused the 86-year-old of a publicity stunt.

The book is an ironic retelling of the Biblical story of Cain, Adam and Eve's son who killed his younger brother Abel.

At the launch event in the northern Portuguese town of Penafiel on Sunday, Saramago said he did not think the book would offend Catholics "because they do not read the Bible".

"The Bible is a manual of bad morals (which) has a powerful influence on our culture and even our way of life. Without the Bible, we would be different, and probably better people," he was quoted as saying by the news agency Lusa.

Saramago attacked "a cruel, jealous and unbearable God (who) exists only in our heads" and said he did not think his book would cause problems for the Catholic Church "because Catholics do not read the Bible.

"It might offend Jews, but that doesn't really matter to me," he added.

Father Manuel Marujao, the spokesman for the Portuguese conference of bishops, said he thought the remarks were a publicity stunt.

"A writer of Jose Saramago's standing can criticise, (but) insults do no-one any good, particularly a Nobel Prize winner," the priest said.

Rabbi Elieze Martino, spokesman for the Jewish community in Lisbon, said the Jewish world would not be shocked by the writings of Saramago or anyone else.

"Saramago does not know the Bible," the rabbi said, "he has only superficial understanding of it."

The author caused a scandal in Portugal in 1992 with "The Gospel According to Jesus Christ."

The book depicted Jesus losing his virginity to Mary Magdalene and being used by God to control the world.

Saramago quit Portugal at the time and moved to Lanzarote, in the Spanish Canary Islands.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp.....e_religion
Forward

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Roman Catholic Church leaders accused the 86-year-old of a publicity stunt.

Yeah, pretty much. I think he's been studying another handbook; "Cheap Fame For Dummies".

If you are a washed up has been and you need to generate some headlines that your mediocre fame no longer warrants, then simply BASH CHRISTIANITY! You will be sure to cause outrage from Christians. There will be plenty of Christian hating journalists who will fall all over themselves to give you a soapbox to shout from and plenty of bitter, pissed off athiests who will love to provide you with a choir to preach to.

Yeah, nobody has ever pulled THAT TRICK before :roll: .

(Oopsy, but remember don't bash those Muslims. Those crazy bastards actually might DO SOMETHING!)
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward wrote:
(Oopsy, but remember don't bash those Muslims. Those crazy bastards actually might DO SOMETHING!)

Exactly!

-Mac
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elitist left of the Nobel and UN ilk think they are superior. The probelms of the world are the fault of the conservatives, the right. Even the stories of the Bible they, Nobel Prize Winners etc, could do better.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death to those that insult Islam !!

erm ... wrong set of morals ...

Let me check the Bible on the moral thing to do in this case ... oh yeah 'forgiveness'.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... where are the Hitchens and Dawkins crowd? No comments? No substantive debate? I am surprised.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, be careful about what you say about Christianity. You never know when one of those nuns might blow a bus up full of innocent people.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potan wrote:
Guys, be careful about what you say about Christianity. You never know when one of those nuns might blow a bus up full of innocent people.

Exactly. Who knows what they're hiding under those bad habits.... :oops:

-Mac
CPP

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
potan wrote:

Exactly. Who knows what they're hiding under those bad habits.... :oops:

-Mac

...maybe a priest or two. :wink:
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which part of the Bible, the Jesus part with the forgiveness and loving thy neighbor, or the part where a raped virgin would be forced to marry the rapist?

Quote:
So... where are the Hitchens and Dawkins crowd? No comments? No substantive debate? I am surprised.

Only because you've never read Christopher Hitchens, if you did you would note he's been one of the strongest defenders of Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Salman Rushdie, both of whom have been threatened with death by Islamo-fascists.

By the way I'm not for loving thy neighbor, if your neighbor happens to be a Nazi, a commie, or a fundamentalist terrorist, I'm all for the hate.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitchens writes for Vanity Fair, the Hollywood and other leftist locales; however I enjoy reading his comments at times. Whereas Dawkins, or the Dawkins crowd, are elitist chickens and cockroaches. I challenged Richard with an email about George Bush on several issues, one of them was about the subrpime fiasco initated by the Dms, no reply. So I posted it on his forum.

The pariah attacked and I countered, no competiton. Even a hundred to one, like Cyrano de Bergerac, I sliced them to pieces. Subsequently, the moderators, who were out of their league when they tried to counter on behalf of their ilk, banned me because I posted my weblog piece link to a few articles. So be it. Their loss not mine. Several members still check my weblog just in case I and my sources might be right.

Blogging Tories allowed this new, conservative Blue Network (how original) to post. This is civil... but I have no interest in another conservative forum.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hitchens writes for Vanity Fair, the Hollywood and other leftist locales; however I enjoy reading his comments at times.

What the f*ck does that mean? You have never read anything by Hitchens, and if you have you will notice that he has written for Vanity Fair, Slate.com, The Weekly Standard, and the National Post. A fairly broad brush if there ever was one. He'll write for many publications, including Vanity Fair.

Jesus Christ, read what somebody writes instead of automatically throwing up the bullshit "he writes for hollywood locales" argument. I'd take Hitchens over Joe the plumber, and anyone who has read his criticisms of Michael Moore will know that he's not a whore for hollywood.

Quote:
The pariah attacked and I countered, no competiton. Even a hundred to one, like Cyrano de Bergerac, I sliced them to pieces. Subsequently, the moderators, who were out of their league when they tried to counter on behalf of their ilk, banned me because I posted my weblog piece link to a few articles. So be it. Their loss not mine. Several members still check my weblog just in case I and my sources might be right.

Delusions of grandeur are strong with this one. It's good to note that you weren't able to counter my argument, instead you just came up with some bullshit argument blasting writers you have never read to bolster your own ego.

The reason you were banned was because you constantly talked about astrology and astrological signs and spammed for your blog.
BHundo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of hitchens, have you people seen the intelligence squared debate that happened last month in the UK? The topic was "is the catholic church a force for good in the world?" and he (along with stephen fry) convinced >85% of a 2000 person audience that it wasn't. Say what you want about the weakness of his arguments, he can not be beaten in debate. (if your definition of victory is convincing people)

part one

Link

Do you think a similar result could be had with other topics? like "does god exist?"

Jump to: