Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Atheist signs, anti-semitic? Reply with quote

I personally don't think a organization should be able to put up anti religion signs. Unless the atheists want to admit that they are a religion in which case they are only advocating their religion (no god). According to all the atheist's I know though atheism is not a religion, thus making this a anti-semitic organization.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ca/C.....;date=True
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? What is your definition of anti-semitic?

In any event, I find their proposed signs rather amusing and certainly within the boundaries of free speech.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Ontario Tory wrote:
Quote:

In any event, I find their proposed signs rather amusing and certainly within the boundaries of free speech.

Well could a organization put up signs saying "don't worry about Alaha" or "don't worry about the wahayguru he's not real". No, legally that is not allowed.

Personally I don't care about some dumb signs but I do care about equality . If I can't put up a sign saying that Islam is false Atheists should not be able to but up a sign saying christianity is false.

Both signs should be allowed but they aren't and so should not atheists have to obey the law too?
hatrock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A true atheist shouldn't even care to put up such signs. Now they're bordering on anti-theist. Yet at the same time, I'm seeing more and more "Jesus" signs on billboards.

All that aside, they all make one think. As long as these signs aren't, "Your God sucks" or what have you, I could care less.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
Northern Ontario Tory wrote:
Quote:

Well could a organization put up signs saying "don't worry about Alaha" or "don't worry about the wahayguru he's not real". No, legally that is not allowed.

Personally I don't care about some dumb signs but I do care about equality . If I can't put up a sign saying that Islam is false Atheists should not be able to but up a sign saying christianity is false.

Both signs should be allowed but they aren't and so should not atheists have to obey the law too?

In Toronto, there are biblical scriptures on bus, streetcar, subway signs. I am a Christian, but they should be allowed to put up their signs. Let the debates begin!
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting to hear the anti-semitic part.

From the article:
Quote:
"If it helps to foster dialogue in our society, that might actually be a good thing," Rev. Susan Johnson, national bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, said in an interview from Winnipeg.

Is it discussion of Christianity (and other religion) that bothers you Rusty?
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anti-semitic might have been to strong but it should be illegal.

Their are two situations I see here.

One: atheism is a religion that believes in "no god" and so a religion that believes in "no god" should be able to put up signs saying that their is "no god".

Two: Atheism is not a religion (this is what the atheists claim but is untrue) and that they are only a organization. A organization should not be allowed to say that their is "no god" because all that is doing is harping on other religions (anti semitic? maybe). Atheism is not a religion according to them so they should not be saying that their is "no god" as a organization with no religious beliefs toward anything and in specific toward "no god".

I personally think it should be allowed as free speech is what I believe in. What I believe in above free speech though is equality. If I can't make a organization that is non-religious and that claims that buddha does not exist then why should atheists be allowed do what I can't? For me equality trumps free speech.

So one has to decide if Atheism is a religion and are atheists harping on god or advocating for no god. If atheism is a religion than to me they are advocating their religion. If they are merely a organization they are under our laws they are spreading hate (I stress UNDER OUR LAWS).
hatrock

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't this discussion be in the religion forum?
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shouldn't this discussion be in the religion forum?

Personally I feel this is more about rule of law in Canada/equal rights to everyone regardless of religion or non-religion.

This is a perfect example of how some people are treated different tan others because of religion. I, a christian can't denounce Islam but a atheist can denounce Christianity. This is about equality and the fallacy of multiculturalism. .
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let free speech reign!

So long as the words "death to ____" or something of the sort aren't part of the ads I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If people who believe in G-d are allowed missionaries, why not those who don't believe in a higher power?

People often state religion is one of the main problems in society. I disagree, however. It's not religion as much as a lack of acceptance due to religion.

Acceptance should include giving practitioners of a religion the right to denounce the practices of another religion so long as they don't attack people individually. For example, there is nothing wrong with a Jew saying Jesus was a false prophet, a Christian saying the same thing about Mohamed, or a Mandean saying the same thing about Moses. The problem arises when Bob refuses to talk to Jack because he believes in Jesus, or even worse when he calls Jack an infidel and threatens to kill his family.

You let me pray to my deity, I'll let you pray to yours and we all should refrain from proclaiming holy war on each other :).

Problem Solved.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr12387 wrote:
Quote:
Let free speech reign!

So long as the words "death to ____" or something of the sort aren't part of the ads I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If people who believe in G-d are allowed missionaries, why not those who don't believe in a higher power?

People often state religion is one of the main problems in society. I disagree, however. It's not religion as much as a lack of acceptance due to religion.

You let me pray to my deity, I'll let you pray to yours and we all should refrain from proclaiming holy war on each other .

I want to know mr12387 do you value free speech over equality? You have to choose.

If the atheists can say that their is no god, I want to be able to say that their is no Allah (I am not allowed to say that)! If I don't have freedom of speech why should atheists have freedom of speech? I demand equality mr12387 you have to choose, will you give me equality or the atheists freedom of speech? I would like everyone to have free speech but that won't happen so until a miracle happens I want equality!

Everyone should have free speech or nobody! It has to be a two way street.

Last edited by Rusty Bedsprings on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reread the above.

Sorry, I added a paragraph after I submitted.
Capitalist Pig

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great.

I do however see a problem.

Quote:
"There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

They should delete that "probably", but I do know marketing laws forbid that type of free speech.

Quote:
One: atheism is a religion that believes in "no god" and so a religion that believes in "no god" should be able to put up signs saying that their is "no god".

Two: Atheism is not a religion (this is what the atheists claim but is untrue) and that they are only a organization. A organization should not be allowed to say that their is "no god" because all that is doing is harping on other religions (anti semitic? maybe). Atheism is not a religion according to them so they should not be saying that their is "no god" as a organization with no religious beliefs toward anything and in specific toward "no god".

Atheism is a believing reality exists, not in mystic bull crap. I think your rationalization on my free speech rights is disgusting.

Quote:
If the atheists can say that their is no god, I want to be able to say that their is no Allah (I am not allowed to say that)! If I don't have freedom of speech why should atheists have freedom of speech? I demand equality mr12387 you have to choose, will you give me equality or the atheists freedom of speech? I would like everyone to have free speech but that won't happen so until a miracle happens I want equality!

There is no Allah. Look at that. I just pwned free speech. But I'm an atheists, so I suppose that is the only reason it worked.

Last edited by Capitalist Pig on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr12387 wrote:
Quote:
Acceptance should include giving practitioners of a religion the right to denounce the practices of another religion so long as they don't attack people individually. For example, there is nothing wrong with a Jew saying Jesus was a false prophet, a Christian saying the same thing about Mohamed, or a Mandean saying the same thing about Moses. The problem arises when Bob refuses to talk to Jack because he believes in Jesus, or even worse when he calls Jack an infidel and threatens to kill his family.

I agree mr12387 I could not agree more. BUT that is not how it works, I can't do this "Christian saying the same thing about Mohamed". I WOULD BE CHARGED! Give me the right to say the same about mohammed and I ill give the artists the right to say the same about Christianity. I want equality! Nobody gets free speech or everyone, I would like everyone to have it but they don't and never will. My grandchildren won't be able to say anything about Islam, so why should atheists be able to say things about Christians. We have crappy laws but they are laws all the same and i want them upheld!
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C. pig wrote:
Quote:
Atheism is a believing reality exists, not in mystic bull crap. I think your rationalization on my free speech rights is disgusting.

could you re-type this so that it makes sense :)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: