Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerl7011

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Bye Bye Ontario's Catholic School Board... Reply with quote

Check this out...The United Nations has declaired that Ontario's Catholic School Boards are in direct violation with the Covenant of Human Rights...scary, no?...Oh...by the way...they declaired them illegal 8 YEARS AGO!

Here's the 1999 ruling...
www.unhchr.ch/tbs/doc.nsf/(Sym.....endocument

As a product of the Catholic school board, I have determined that it is totally useless...the religion class/movie-watching class we have takes up 75 minutes a day and 1 credit a year...a credit that could be better spent taking a USEFUL class...

Upwards of 50% of the students in my school have no religious affiliation (besides having all the Catholic stuff done to them before they could object), are atheists or are from different religions and are just attending the school because it is close.

It's time to get rid of the Catholic school boards...I'd say keep em if they instilled a few morals into people...but as my Atheist Religion teacher once told me...

"You can't instil morals into teens when you're trying to instil fear into them as well..."

any thoughts?...

erl
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better solution is to organize every Ontario school under geographic boards and make them all meet the same standards. Let schools with religious eduction be a "program of choice" same with French immersion, a military style academy. Look at Edmonton's school system for examples.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check this out...The United Nations has declaired that Ontario's Catholic School Boards are in direct violation with the Covenant of Human Rights...scary, no?...Oh...by the way...they declaired them illegal 8 YEARS AGO!

This is why Harris introduced tax credits for those who went to private schools. That way the government could comply with the UN ruling because public funds would be going to private religious schools besides Catholics.

McGuinty repealed those tax credits yet the press never called him out for disobeying a UN ruling...I wonder why.

I'd like to see the tax credit system reintroduced, or even better a voucher system for schools.

Removing the Catholic system is a bad idea because for those who can't afford private school, it is the only alternative to the public system. This is why as you've pointed out, many students who use the Catholic system aren't Catholic. If your local public school is full of drugs and teachers who don't care, then at least you have the option of trying the Catholic school instead (and vice-versa).

By removing the Catholic system we'll remove choice and competition which will create a monopoly, which is always bad when it comes to efficiency and service.
winchry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People need to discover and find a religion by themselves. Being told "this is what you believe" won't ignite passion but rather it inspires rebellion. Becasue of this I don't believe Catholic public schools are appropriate... but high schools when students have more of a choice are still a good idea.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with a Catholic System in the least,
Throughout high school I would have been stunned if my Catholic High School was more then 35% Catholics, but it provided Academic Choice,

Looking at an area like say, Mississauga.
The Public school for my area was rather dumpy, and not well respected academically for those who wanted to go a post secondary route there was a benefit to go to the Catholic High School,

In some areas the opposite was true,

Eliminating one board really does remove the option from parents and students,
It was amazing the amount of people who attending one school over another because of the course options that were available, The public school had a few auto repair classes while my high school had nearly 12 more business related options,

Unless you can really make an effort to standardize the quality of education as well as the availability of courses I see no need to walk away from the two board system.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
The Public school for my area was rather dumpy, and not well respected academically for those who wanted to go a post secondary route there was a benefit to go to the Catholic High School

Same here...the Catholic school board in Hamilton has way better schools...they're safer, better staffed and have respected academic and extra-cirricular programs...

The Public board needs that...choice is great...but should the other option be exclusively Catholic?...

erl
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Public board needs that...choice is great...but should the other option be exclusively Catholic?...

Catholic schools aren't exclusive; you don't have to be Catholic to go there.
hamiltonguyo

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Catholic Board has St. Thomas More, the drug capital of the Mountain and Cathedral which had the lowest literacy test scores in the city.

Meanwhile the Public system has Westdale and Westmount. I personally think the Public Board is better in Hamilton
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my area the Catholic schools have a better reputation academically, and as far as crime too.

Also, the Catholic boards tend to be much more fiscally responsible than the public ones who spend half their time debating if they should boycott Israel or not.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
The Catholic Board has St. Thomas More, the drug capital of the Mountain and Cathedral which had the lowest literacy test scores in the city.

Meanwhile the Public system has Westdale and Westmount. I personally think the Public Board is better in Hamilton

But the point is that regardless of which board is better in your area it gave you options,
My parents friends who lived in Markham sent their daughter to a public school despite them being Catholic based solely on academics,

In some boards such as the one I grew up in the opposite is true,
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
In my area the Catholic schools have a better reputation academically, and as far as crime too.

Also, the Catholic boards tend to be much more fiscally responsible than the public ones who spend half their time debating if they should boycott Israel or not.

My younger sister is eight years younger then me, and I cannot believe how far high schools in general have gone downhill, I was stunned to learn of a full out drug bust in the school but then to learn the some of the other high schools in the region (Both Public and Catholic) had nearly a dozen gun seizers,

Perhaps for a bigger city this may be commonplace but for the Burb's its quite stunning.
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. When the parents spend more and more time travelling to work they have less time to supervise and look after the kids.

This is a different but equally disturbing problem as the ones that cause crime in the inner city.
cerl7011

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hamiltonguyo wrote:
The Catholic Board has St. Thomas More, the drug capital of the Mountain...

We are not... :P ...MacNab and Westmount are...but for all you non-Hamiltonians out there...

Sure, we have drugs...but what High School doesn't...even the Christian High School has them. It's high school...mix teens with something that is illegal and you've got a bad combo...STM, as we affectionatly call it, has high test scores, constantly wins almost every single game we play and functions well with double it's recommended capacity. I'm sure some of the Hammer's public school board's schools have the same records, but their schools are older and maintained poorly and their test scores are overall lower.

I say if we have one school board, then all people can learn in an equal environment. Hell, they should even offer religion classes for those who wish to take them...

One, in this case, is better then two...

erl
hamiltonguyo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I agree with you about McNab, but Westmount just has buyers, mostly just for Pot.

All the deals now go down at St.Thomas More, thats where the police made the big bust.

Lol but yes, westmount has too many potheads, surprising considering that we have an 80% rate of continuation to post-secondary lol.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I say if we have one school board, then all people can learn in an equal environment.

Ya, an equally mediocre environment.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: