Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Leona Alleslev leaves liberals to join conservative caucus Reply with quote

( an embarrassment for Trudeau , a female liberal mp from the GTA has decided to leave the government caucus and join the opposition . not sure anyone saw that coming )

Liberal MP crosses the floor to join Conservative caucus

Rachel Aiello, Ottawa News Bureau Online Producer

@rachaiello
Published Monday, September 17, 2018 1:41PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, September 17, 2018 2:05PM EDT

OTTAWA – Liberal MP Leona Alleslev surprised many in announcing in the House of Commons on Monday that she was crossing the floor to join the Conservatives.

Before physically walking across the floor where she was met by thunderous applause and handshakes, Alleslev said she was deeply concerned about the future of the country.

"After three years of hope and hard work I find myself asking: 'Am I doing everything I can to serve the citizens of Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill, and my country?'"

Andrew Scheer and Leona Allesley
Leader of the Opposition Andrew Scheer walks with Leona Alleslev, who crossed the floor from the Liberal party to Conservative party before Question Period on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, September 17, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

She said their government needs to be challenged openly and publicly and she didn’t feel it was possible for her to do that while remaining in the Liberal caucus.

"After careful and deliberate consideration I must withdraw from the government benches to take my seat among the ranks of my Conservative colleagues," Alleslev said.

The former Canadian Air Force officer was a rookie MP elected in 2015. As a member of the governing caucus she held the role of parliamentary secretary for public services and procurement between December 2015 and January 2017 before being shuffled out of the parliamentary secretary ranks.

She joined Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer in the House of Commons foyer ahead of question period where Scheer boasted about their new addition, saying he was "extremely proud" to welcome her into the Conservative caucus.

Alleslev has been given a critic role in her new caucus: shadow cabinet secretary for global security.

"Ms. Alleslev is an extraordinary and accomplished member of this House," Scheer said.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberal-mp-crosses-the-floor-to-join-conservative-caucus-1.4097289
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto-area Liberal MP Leona Alleslev crosses the floor to join Conservatives

This is first floor crossing the Liberals have faced since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau assumed leadership

John Paul Tasker · CBC News · Posted: Sep 17, 2018 1:38 PM ET | Last Updated: 4 minutes ago

Liberal MP Leona Alleslev rises in the House of Commons in Ottawa on Friday, June 17, 2016. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

368 comments

Ontario MP Leona Alleslev is crossing the floor from the Liberals to join the Conservative party caucus — the first such loss for the governing party since the last election.

The floor crossing is a coup for the opposition Tories, who are counting on a breakthrough in suburban Toronto-area ridings like the one held by Alleslev to win the next federal election.

This is the first floor crossing the Liberals have faced since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau assumed leadership of the party in 2014.

Alleslev cited her concerns over the government's handling of the economy, foreign affairs and trading relationships, and what she calls inadequate military spending, as the reasons motivating her to jump from the government benches to the Tories.

Alleslev, a graduate of the Royal Military College and a former captain in the Royal Canadian Air Force, held senior positions at the Department of National Defence, IBM and aerospace manufacturer Bombardier before seeking the Liberal nomination for the Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill riding in 2014.

"My attempts to raise my concerns with this government were met with silence," Alleslev said in a speech in the House of Commons announcing her move. "It's my duty to stand and be counted. Our country is at risk. The government must be challenged openly and publicly.

"To my Liberal colleagues, thank you. But my oath is to country, not party and my sacred obligation is to serve my constituents."

Leona Alleslev, the MP for Aurora–Oak Ridges–Richmond Hill announces that she is leaving the government benches to sit in opposition. 2:37

Alleslev previously served as a parliamentary secretary to the minister of Public Services and Procurement between November 2015 and January 2017. She was replaced by Quebec MP Steven MacKinnon, a former national director of the Liberal Party.

Alleslev narrowly defeated former Conservative MP Costas Menegakis — by just by 1,093 votes, or 2.2 percentage points — to secure the riding for the Liberals.

Speaking to reporters in the foyer of Commons, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said he was "extremely proud" to welcome Alleslev into the Conservative fold. He said that, like many Canadians who voted for Trudeau in the last election, Alleslev now realizes Trudeau is not equipped to deal with the "challenges of our time."

"If, like Leona, you supported Justin Trudeau and the Liberals in the last election and you're frustrated or even angry with the ineffective leadership, know this: you are both welcome and needed in the Conservative Party of Canada. We're going to keep adding to our team," he said.

Scheer said Alleslev will be appointed the party's critic for global security.

Trudeau said he wished Alleslev well in her career as a Conservative.

"This is something that [is] allowed for in our system," he told reporters in the foyer of the Commons.

"I'm looking forward to getting back in the House to talk about what we're going to be doing for Canadians, what we've been working hard on all summer and over the past three years."

The Conservatives picked off another Liberal seat earlier this year after winning a Quebec by-election in a riding held by a retiring Liberal MP. However, the Liberals have turned two Tory-held seats red since the last election, in B.C. and Quebec respectively.

While the Liberals consistently have outperformed the opposition Conservatives in national opinion polls, the Tories have a financial edge and are outpacing the Liberals in nominating candidates for the next campaign. (The Liberals maintain their fundraising performance has been roughly equal to that of the Conservatives, who spend more money to collect their donations.)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-floor-crosser-leona-alleslev-1.4826567
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the cpc candidate and former mp Costas Menegakis has withdrawn as the cpc candidate for Aurora Oak Ridges Richmond hill and will instead try and run in Richmond Hill , so it appears Leona Alleslev won't have any trouble securing the cpc nomination for that riding )

Costas Menegakis‏Verified account @CostasMenegakis · 1h1 hour ago

It was an honour to serve as MP for Richmond Hill, and I’m grateful to have been nominated to run in Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill. I’m also pleased to welcome @LeonaAlleslev to @CPC_HQ! She has a wealth of experience and will be a strong asset to our team. 1/3 #cdnpoli

Like our leader @AndrewScheer said, we’re building a team that is ready and able to lead Canada. I look forward to being part of that team, as I withdraw my candidacy for Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill, and instead seek our party’s nomination in Richmond Hill! 2/3 #cdnpoli

As the former MP for Richmond Hill, I’m looking forward to re-earning that trust as we present our positive Conservative vision for Canada! See you on the doorsteps! 3/3 #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick look at MP Leona Alleslev who left the Liberals for the Tories

Regina / 980 CJME

Canadian Press

September 18, 2018 06:51 am
A quick look at MP Leona Alleslev who left the Liberals for the Tories

OTTAWA — Leona Alleslev rose in the House of Commons Monday as a Liberal and spoke. By the time she was done, she had blasted the government, quit the party and joined the Official Opposition. Here are a few quick facts about the newest Conservative MP:

Military experience

Graduated from the Royal Military College of Canada and served as a logistics officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force, retiring as a captain.

Close election victory

Alleslev ran as a Liberal in the 2015 election, narrowly defeating Costas Menegakis, the incumbent Conservative. She won by 1,093 votes in the newly created Toronto-area riding of Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill.

Parliamentary work

As an MP, she has served on the immigration and defence committees and as chair of the Canadian NATO Parliamentary Association. From December 2015 until January 2017, she also served as parliamentary secretary to the minister of public services and procurement.

“My attempts to raise my concerns with the government were met with silence. It is my duty to stand and be counted. Our country is at risk.”

https://www.cjme.com/2018/09/18/a-quick-look-at-mp-leona-alleslev-who-left-the-liberals-for-the-tories/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade, economic concerns come to fore as Ontario MP ditches Liberals for Tories

by Janice Dickson and Jordan Press, The Canadian Press
Posted Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am EDT
Last Updated Sep 17, 2018 at 7:20 pm EDT

National

Leader of the Opposition Andrew Scheer walks with Leona Alleslev, who crossed the floor from the Liberal party to Conservative party before Question Period on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Monday, September 17, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

OTTAWA – The Conservative opposition forced the Liberals onto the defensive Monday as the governing party watched one of their own abruptly cross the floor to join the chorus of Tories declaring that this was the prime minister’s “summer of failures.”

Ontario Liberal MP Leona Alleslev made the stunning announcement — which had apparently been in the works for weeks — just before question period, striding across the House of Commons to roaring applause from the opposite bench.

“At this time in our country’s history we need strong leadership under the Conservatives and Andrew Scheer,” Alleslev told reporters afterward.

Alleslev said the world has changed since she was first elected in 2015, and she felt her questions about the Liberal government’s performance on crucial files such as the economy, trade and defence were “met with silence.”

The MP said she had to leave the Liberals in order to openly criticize the party’s direction.

In the House, as Scheer’s Conservatives branded their Liberal rivals as failures on the economic and trade fronts, Alleslev looked comfortable and at ease, nodding in agreement from her new vantage point.

Alleslev rose during question period to say Canada’s position in the world had been diminished under Justin Trudeau, and that its ability to deliver on defence commitments, such as adequate fighter jets, had been undermined by politics.

“Purchasing used CF-18s from the Australians will not give us capability, will be cost prohibitive, and frankly, humiliating when we should be reassuring our allies in a time of unprecedented global instability.”

Despite the headline-grabbing nature of the move Alleslev had orchestrated for the first day of the fall sitting, no one seemed to see it coming.

Ontario Liberal MP Adam Vaughan said the decision emerged “out of nowhere, literally out of the blue.”

Bill Casey, a Liberal MP from Nova Scotia who was once a Conservative, said Alleslev sat close to him and he never suspected there was an issue.

Alleslev dismissed questions from reporters about political opportunism, given her slim election victory three years ago, saying her decision was about being able to look at herself in the mirror.

“We’re facing some very serious challenges and this is how I can do the job that my constituents sent me here to do,” she said.

“This is something I’ve been considering for a while.”

Scheer ushered Alleslev into the Conservative caucus, making his new MP the critic for global security, and he issued an invitation to any other disenfranchised Liberal supporters to rethink their allegiances ahead of the October 2019 ballot.

“Let me say this to Canadians: If, like Leona, you supported Justin Trudeau and the Liberals in the last election and you are frustrated or even angry with the ineffective leadership, know this — you are both welcome and needed in the Conservative Party of Canada,” Scheer said.

Trudeau said little about Alleslev’s move.

“I wish her well in her decision,” Trudeau said. “I’m looking forward to getting back in the House to talk about what we are going to be doing for Canadians, what we’ve been working hard on all summer and over the past few years.”

The opposition parties took shots early and often at how the Liberals have managed the economy and the ongoing negotiations of a renewed North American Free Trade Agreement — the outcome of which will affect countless jobs on both sides of the border.

Conservative House leader Candice Bergen said her party wouldn’t lecture the U.S. on gender rights and the environment in the midst of trade talks — a jab at the Liberal government’s approach on NAFTA.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh urged the Liberals to preserve Canada’s supply management system for dairy farmers in NAFTA talks and to ensure a renewed deal makes life better for Canadian workers. He suggested neither will be an easy task in negotiations with the mercurial Trump.

An early order of business for the Liberals this fall is passing legislation to enact a trade deal with Pacific Rim countries — the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans Pacific Partnership — designed to open up new markets for exports beyond the U.S.

Alleslev rose in her chair to announce her political change of heart while her colleagues discussed the bill.

She has represented the new Toronto-area riding of Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill since narrowly defeating her Conservative challenger by 1,093 votes in 2015.

Prior to politics, Alleslev served for several years in the Canadian military before joining IBM and Bombardier Aerospace. As an MP, she has sat on the immigration and defence committees and served as chair of the Canadian NATO Parliamentary Association.

Alleslev was not the only MP to change seats Monday. Former Conservative MP Maxime Bernier, who recently created a new party, was sitting far from his former colleagues with Green Party Leader Elizabeth May.

Likewise, former NDP MP Erin Weir, recently ousted from his caucus, was sitting behind the Conservative benches.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/09/17/conservatives-wouldnt-lecture-u-s-in-trade-talks-house-leader/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes Stephenson‏Verified account @MercedesGlobal

Follow Follow @MercedesGlobal

ICYMI: Alleslev crosses the floor. How and why. Sources say she was dissatisfied after being stripped of her PS role which she believed was punishment for speaking out. This was back in Jan. Met with Scheer in August and crossed yesterday
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal riding association president blindsided by MP’s defection

By Canadian Press. Published on Sep 18, 2018 12:14pm

OTTAWA — The president of an Ontario Liberal riding association says he had no prior knowledge of an MP’s decision to leave the government benches for the official Opposition.

Clayton Haluza, who leads the Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill riding association, says in a statement it was “with disappointment” he learned Leona Alleslev felt the need to switch sides.

Alleslev shocked political observers Monday by joining Conservative party ranks on the first day of the fall sitting of Parliament following a summer break.

The MP, elected in 2015, says she made the choice after questions about the Liberal government’s approach on files including the economy, trade and defence were met with silence.

Haluza says Alleslev’s decision is one he struggles to understand, adding it was done without consulting him.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer welcomed Alleslev, making her party critic for global security.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/09/18/liberal-riding-association-president-blindsided-by-mps-defection/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defecting MP says decision ‘personal’ as Liberals left in disbelief

By Canadian Press. Published on Sep 18, 2018 2:56pm

Conservative MP Leona Alleslev . iPolitics/Matthew Usherwood

OTTAWA — A Toronto-area MP who shocked political observers on Monday by ditching the federal Liberals for their Conservatives foes says she isn’t aware of other members of her former party who are ready to join her.

Leona Alleslev said Tuesday her decision to switch parties was entirely personal, suggesting her choice may not reflect greater turbulence within the ranks.

“Of course leaving a party to go to another party, you’re leaving a team to go to another team,” she said in an interview. “That’s a difficult decision and one that everyone really needs to make, I think, on their own.”

Alleslev’s unexpected decision, however, has left her Liberal colleagues in disbelief, including dozens of volunteers who canvassed this spring to ensure she could fly under the Liberal banner again in 2019.

Clayton Haluza said he was sitting at his desk on Bay Street when he learned Alleslev had defected — a choice leaving him, and his party, blindsided a year out from an election.

Haluza, the president of the Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill Liberal riding association, said he spent a good five minutes on Monday staring at the wall thinking, “what the heck has just happened?” when he read an update on his phone about Alleslev’s defection.

“There are no words to describe it,” he said Tuesday, adding he did not receive a heads up.

“We had worked together since before she became a member of Parliament. We had a great working relationship.”

Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said Alleslev “never” came to his door to relay complaints when he was Liberal whip.

Alleslev, elected in 2015, said Monday she made her choice after questions about the Liberal government’s approach on files including the economy, trade and defence were met with silence.

Haluza’s team is still trying to understand that.

“The reaction I’ve gotten from our membership base has been just one of hurt, anger, (and) displeasure,” he said. “And from the community it’s ‘I voted for a Liberal.'”

For her part, Alleslev said she was lucky to have the support of volunteers, adding they are “honourable and committed.”

But she said she hopes they were doing work for her because “they truly believed I was the best person to represent them in Ottawa.”

“I am the same person today as I was then,” she said. “I have the same values.”

Earlier Tuesday, Democratic Institutions Minister Karina Gould maintained a poker face when asked whether it feeds political cynicism when MPs switch parties.

“People have the right to change their opinions,” she said in French, adding citizens will have their say during the election.

Haluza agrees voters will be able to weigh in on Alleslev’s choice, noting his riding association is now focused on finding a replacement candidate to challenge Alleslev.

“A year from now the voters get the decision of whether they want her to still represent the riding,” he said.

“I know that my team and I will be out there knocking on doors, convincing them that our party is still the right decision.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/09/18/defecting-mp-says-decision-personal-as-liberals-left-in-disbelief/
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a good thing she crossed the aisle.

She might be a mole for the Liberals.

I mean how else does one reconcile the fact that a short month or two ago she was praising (in private no less) the Govt of PM JT and Freelands success.

If not a mole, shes as dumb as a brick to think her emails wont surface.
Quote:

July 11th - "You and the PM and Harj (Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan) were truly awesome today. This is not only who we are as Canadians – but also who we are as global citizens – and that was on full display today."

She ended the note by thanking Freeland for "everything you do!"

Quote:

Nine days later, July 20th- Alleslev delivered a similar message when Trudeau headlined a fundraiser in her riding and the then-Liberal MP made a statement.

"The greatest thing about being a member of Parliament in this prime minister's government is that we are each and every one of us valued for the contribution that we bring to the team," Alleslev said, according to a recording of her remarks.

Damn, seems she loved the guy.

But you know, these folks aint too bright .

She will probably whine about private emails and all that.

Suck it up buttercup, youve been shown to be well.... maybe she was promised something or other.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three days later ... and who cares?
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup..no argument.

But perhaps her constituents might recall in a year.
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't going to be more people voting Liberal than there were in 2015. This is a modern woman. She knows how to leverage her position, trust me. Think of her as a shape-shifter.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
There aren't going to be more people voting Liberal than there were in 2015.

Probably not.

And there may well not be any need to.

Mad Max will help them not need more votes.
Quote:
This is a modern woman. She knows how to leverage her position, trust me. Think of her as a shape-shifter.

When anyone says trust me...it mean the opposite. (thats anyone...)

She has proven to be well short of truthful I suppose.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
There aren't going to be more people voting Liberal than there were in 2015. This is a modern woman. She knows how to leverage her position, trust me. Think of her as a shape-shifter.

I'd imagine there was at least a few liberal candidates who ran in 2015 as liberals only cause they felt it was the best way to become MP for there riding , easiest route to advance there political career

and perhaps this lady over time decided she enjoyed being an mp for her riding but didn't care if she sat in the liberal caucus or not

but its unusual to see someone leave the government caucus so suddenly and eagerly join the official opposition , often its been back bench opposition mp's joining the government instead , at least we saw a lot of that when Chretien PM
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Toronto Centre"]
Bugs wrote:

Quote:
This is a modern woman. She knows how to leverage her position, trust me. Think of her as a shape-shifter.

When anyone says trust me...it mean the opposite. (thats anyone...)

That would mean she's NOT a shape-shifter?

Jump to: