Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Former Newfoundland Premier Paul Davis to resign Reply with quote

( not totally unexpected but another member of the Newfoundland legislature is leaving and he says he's not running federally either )

Former Tory premier Paul Davis to step aside, triggering byelection

David Maher (david.maher@thetelegram.com)

Published: 12 hours ago
Updated: 31 minutes ago

Former premier Paul Davis announced Thursday at the Paradise Double Ice Complex that, after 17 years in politics, he is resigning as MHA for Topsail-Paradise.
Former premier Paul Davis announced Thursday at the Paradise Double Ice Complex that, after 17 years in politics, he is resigning as MHA for Topsail-Paradise. - David Maher

Former Tory premier Paul Davis has set the speculation to rest: he’s resigning as MHA for Topsail-Paradise and leaving politics.

Davis made the announcement on Thursday afternoon at the Paradise Double Ice Complex, surrounded by supporters, current and former members of the House of Assembly and family members.

There was speculation the move would allow Davis to become a federal candidate in 2019, but Davis put the rumours to rest.

“I’m not running in the provincial election or federal election in 2019, as I’ve been asked a thousand times,” said Davis.

Davis says there are no health concerns or other jobs lined up to push him out of political life. He says the move is what’s best for himself and his family.

“Politics is really tough. It’s tough on your family, tough on people around you, tough on your friends,” said Davis.

“The time is right. After 17 years in politics, it’s a good time for me to move.”

After joining the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary in 1985, Davis was first elected to office in 2001 as a councillor in Conception Bay South. He became an MHA in 2010, following Elizabeth Marshall’s appointment to the senate.

Davis held a number of cabinet minister portfolios in his time as part of the governing party, culminating in becoming the 12th premier of the province after a dramatic leadership convention in 2014.

Davis says he doesn’t think about his legacy, though he’s very proud of the Paradise Double Ice Complex, which came to be during his time in office.

“I came into politics with my integrity intact and I wanted to leave that way. There will always be people critical of me, I can imagine the tweets, but I’ve tried to do that, to stay true to myself,” he said.

Cheryl Davis, councillor-at-large in Conception Bay South and Davis’s wife, says she’s thrilled that she’ll get to see Davis more.

She expected to be asked whether she’ll consider seeking the Progressive Conservative nomination in the coming byelection to replace Davis, but she doesn’t anticipate putting her name in that race right now.

“I can’t see it, but in this racket, you never say never,” she said.

Davis’s resignation is effective Nov. 2, meaning a byelection will have to be called within 60 days.

Currently, the fixed election date in Newfoundland and Labrador is Oct. 9, 2019. If an MHA resigns less than six months before the fixed election date, no byelection is held. Had Davis resigned effective April 8, 2019, no byelection would be called.

In terms of byelection costs, the Mount Pearl North byelection, for example, cost Elections Newfoundland and Labrador $107,690 in salaries and expenses.

Premier Dwight Ball, Davis’s longtime political nemesis as both premier and leader of the opposition, sent his regards via social media.

“Sending my well wishes to Paul Davis today as he announced he will be moving on from politics. Good luck in the new chapter,” read a tweet from the premier’s account.

New Democratic Party Leader Gerry Rogers also tweeted congratulations to Davis on his career.

“I really, really liked working with you, an honour actually.”

https://www.thewesternstar.com/news/local/former-tory-premier-paul-davis-to-step-aside-triggering-byelection-251508/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former premier Paul Davis quitting politics, triggering byelection for Topsail-Paradise

The former premier PC leader says he's not running federally

CBC News · Posted: Oct 18, 2018 2:00 PM NT | Last Updated: October 18

Paul Davis will be leaving his seat in Topsail-Paradise on Nov. 2. (Ryan Cooke/CBC)

10 comments

Former Newfoundland and Labrador premier Paul Davis, who led the Progressive Conservatives to defeat in the 2015 election, is leaving politics.

Davis announced his departure in Paradise on Thursday, in front of his wife, friends and fellow politicians.

The 57-year-old stepped aside as leader to make way for Ches Crosbie, and will resign his seat in the House of Assembly on Nov. 2.

"I came into politics with my integrity intact, and I wanted to leave that way," Davis told reporters. "There will always be people who will be critical of me. I can imagine the tweets as soon as they hear this and the commentary from social media and so on. But I tried to do that. I tried to stay true to myself."

His resignation triggers a byelection for the provincial district of Topsail-Paradise within 60 days of Nov. 2. When asked why he wouldn't just stay put until the next general election, Davis said the Progressive Conservatives have momentum after winning two byelections in the last 12 months and he wants to see them continue the winning streak.

"After 17 years in politics, it's a good time for me to move," he said.

Davis told reporters he will not be running for a federal seat, even though he hinted just weeks ago he was considering a run in the next election.

While celebrating current Crosbie's byelection win in Windsor Lake, Davis said, "There's a future ahead in politics."

However, on Thursday, Davis said he is ruling out politics, although he also said he is considering other careers.

"I'm too young to stop working," he said. "I still want to do things and I have some interests. So I started to have a look and I saw some things that passed by, that if the timing had been a little different, they may have been opportunities for me."

Davis, who had previously been treated for cancer, said he is in "good health."

He came to public prominence first as a spokesperson for the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary.

First elected to the House of Assembly in 2010, Davis won the Tory leadership at a September 2014 convention, defeating rivals John Ottenheimer and Steve Kent.

His efforts to revitalize the PCs, however, were not successful, as the Tories lost the government to Dwight Ball's Liberals on Nov. 30, 2015.

Of the 40 seats in the House of Assembly, the Liberals currently have 27, the PCs have eight and the New Democrats have two. Three members of the legislature sit as Independents — two thrust from the Liberal caucus after Davis brought forward concerns about harassment within his opposing party.

In a province rife with political turmoil over the last year, Davis said there were often hard times for his family.

His son moved to Nova Scotia to further his career and get out of his father's shadow.

"One of the things that he saw differently when he moved to Nova Scotia [was that] he was himself. He wasn't my son anymore. He was himself. He should be his own individual person."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/paul-davis-steps-down-1.4868384
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many were expecting Davis to announce he'd be moving to federal politics. I'd be surprised if he goes back on his word and actually decides to run, like other politicians have done in the past.

This will be an interesting by-election. Should be a pretty safe seat for the PCs to hold. The district was typically a bit of a bellwether district, but it seems like suburban St. John's has become pretty solid territory for the PCs. I'm most interested to see who Ches Crosbie gets to run for him, I think he really needs to build a strong team if he wants to be competitive next year. Davis' wife Cheryl did say she would not rule out running to succeed him, even though it wasn't her plan. Cheryl was elected last year as a councilor in the town of Conception Bay South (CBS), she won the largest number of votes of any candidate. Davis had been the Deputy Mayor of the town prior to entering provincial politics. I had heard rumours she was interested in running in the last provincial election in CBS, that seat had narrowly been lost the previous year in a by-election. The PCs ended up nominating the former by-election candidate who was close with Davis, he went on to win.

Besides Cheryl Davis potentially running I haven't heard other names. Alison Coffin, who lost the NDP leadership last year, had previously said she would be interested in running in this seat. A strong NDP candidate could make the race a bit more interesting.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrin Bent seeks PC byelection nomination

The Telegram
Published: 12 hours ago

Darrin Bent, Conception Bay South councillor and former journalist, will seek the Progressive Conservative nomination in the upcoming Topsail-Paradise byelection.

Bent made the announcement on Thursday via his Facebook page.
“This will be my first venture into provincial politics. Never having identified with a political party in the past, this is new to me. So, I am calling on all my friends no matter what your party support in the past has been to support me for this nomination,” Bent wrote.

“I would be very proud and honoured to represent the residents of Paradise and the residents I currently represent in C.B.S. Ward 1 in this riding going forward.”

Bent is the first person to come forward to seek any nomination in the byelection.

A date has yet to be set for the byelection.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/darrin-bent-seeks-pc-byelection-nomination-253738/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two names already interested in the PC nomination in Topsail. As mentioned above, Darrin Bent will be seeking the nomination as will Paradise town councilor Paul Dinn. The district takes in part of the town of CBS, which has about 25,000 residents, and part of the town of Paradise which has close to 20,000 residents.

Simply due to name recognition, I'd have to think Darrin Bent will take this nomination. He was a prominent reporter with NTV News for many years, including as a fill in for the evening news. Having served on town councillor for several years I would think he'd have a political organization that could help him.

I'm not familiar with Paul Dinn. If he is well known in his community he could take the nomination. Neither of these men have been involved in the PC Party in the past, so that could also impact the nomination. It's still quite possible that more people come forward, which would be good for the party.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradise councillor Paul Dinn wins PC nod for Topsail-Paradise byelection

Dinn edged out former journalist Darrin Bent by 18 votes

CBC News · Posted: Nov 13, 2018 10:32 PM NT | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

Paul Dinn is a councillor for the Town of Paradise and now the candidate for the Progressive Conservatives in a provincial byelection. (Town of Paradise)

It was a close race, but Paul Dinn came out on top in the fight for the right to run for Progressive Conservatives in an upcoming byelection for the district of Topsail-Paradise.

Dinn, who was elected to Paradise town council in 2013, beat out former NTV journalist Darrin Bent by 18 votes.

According to the Town of Paradise website, Dinn works for the provincial government as a director within the Department of Advanced Skills, Education and Labour.

He may report to a Liberal cabinet minister, but Dinn is now the official candidate for the opposition party.

Paul Davis resigned his seat in Topsail-Paradise effective Nov. 2. (Ryan Cooke/CBC)

The byelection was triggered by the resignation of former premier Paul Davis, when he gave up his seat and announced his retirement.

The district has historically been a Tory stronghold.

Prior to being redrawn in 2015, the bulk of the region existed as the separate district of Topsail, with small parts of the Conception Bay East-Bell Island and Conception Bay South districts.

Topsail was under Tory leadership since 2003, with Davis winning in the redrawn district of Topsail-Paradise in 2015.

The byelection must be called within 60 days of an MHA giving up their seat. Since Davis resigned on Nov. 2, that means the byelection has to happen no later than New Year's Day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/paul-dinn-pc-nomination-1.4904361

Jump to: