Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Dan Rusnak liberal mp Thunder Bay Rainy River to not run Reply with quote

( another surprise retirement of a rookie liberal mp , news just broke today that Dan Rusnak is not running and nobody in Thunder Bay seemed to be expected it)

Rusnak bows out of 2019 federal election

Liberal MP Don Rusnak will no longer be seeking reelection in 2019, citing family commitments as the reason for stepping out of the federal race

about 3 hours ago by: Doug Diaczuk

Don Rusnak
Don Rusnak (File).

THUNDER BAY – The Liberal Party will need to find a new candidate in the Thunder Bay-Rainy River riding for the upcoming federal election that is a little more than seven months away.

Don Rusnak, MP for the Thunder Bay-Rainy River riding, has withdrawn his name as the Liberal Party candidate in the 2019 federal election.

The announcement was made on Sunday in letter released by Rusnak, which cites family commitments, including raising two young sons, as the reason for deciding not to seek re-election.

“Though I try to spend as much time with them as I can when I am home in our riding, I’ve missed close to half of their young lives,” Rusnak said.

“I want to be there more, for my young family. That’s why, after much contemplation, I have decided to withdraw my name as a candidate for Member of Parliament in the upcoming 2019 election. I will no longer be running in this year’s federal election.”

In the 2015 federal election, Rusnak earned 44 per cent of the vote to win his seat, defeating NPD’s John Rafferty, Conservative Moe Comuzzi, and Green Party candidate, Christy Radbourne.

During his time in parliament, Rusnak served on the standing committee on Indigenous and Northern Affairs, as well as being named the chair of the Indigenous Caucus, and director at large Canada-Ukraine Parliamentary Friendship Group. Last September, Rusnak stepped down from his role as Parlimentary Secretary to the minster of Indigenous Services, citing family committments for his departure.

“I am proud of all we have achieved in our region these past few years,” Rusnak said. “We have seen major investments in Confederation College, Seven Generations and Lakehead University, as well as major infrastructure projects like the construction of the Rainy-River Baudette Bridge and the upgrades to Thunder Bay’s transit system.”

In November 2018, Rusnak was acclaimed as the Liberal Party candidate to run in the Thunder Bay-Rainy River riding. At that time, he said his top priorities were improving life for seniors and Indigenous people in the region.

Last month, former Thunder Bay city councilor, Linda Rydholm, was named the Conservative candidate for the Thunder Bay-Rainy River Riding. No other parties have named a candidate yet.

In October 2018, Liberal MP, Patty Hajdu in the Thunder Bay-Superior North riding announced she would be seeking re-election.

The federal election is scheduled to take place on or before Oct. 21.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/rusnak-bows-out-of-2019-federal-election-1326246
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was likely one of the ridings the NDP would be targeting in Ontario anyway;

In 2015 the Federal NDP was able to get Howard Hampton to run in Kenora, if they could convince him to run in his old riding this time around they may be able to swing it.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
This was likely one of the ridings the NDP would be targeting in Ontario anyway;

In 2015 the Federal NDP was able to get Howard Hampton to run in Kenora, if they could convince him to run in his old riding this time around they may be able to swing it.

the riding does include Fort Frances which I believe is or was Howard Hampton's hometown although I have idea if he'd be interested in running federally again . last election he ran in kenora

this riding did have an ndp MP until 2015 , John Rafferty although he might have health issues . seem to recall he planned to run provincially but dropped out for health reasons

the cpc has already nominated a candidate , Linda Rydhold who was a municipal councillor in Thunder Bay .the cpc has a stable and large base of support in the riding , always seem to get 20 % or more but have never really been able to grow there support beyond that level
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder Bay-area MP says he won't run again in upcoming federal election

Don Rusnak was elected in 2015 for the Liberals in Thunder Bay-Rainy River riding

CBC News · Posted: Mar 18, 2019 10:42 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

MP Don Rusnak (Thunder Bay-Rainy River) says he won't run in the 2019 federal election. (FedNor/Twitter)

A Thunder Bay-area MP says spending more time with his young family is behind his decision not to run in this year's federal election.

Don Rusnak confirmed on Sunday that he's withdrawing his name as a candidate to run in the Thunder Bay-Rainy River riding in 2019. Rusnak had secured the nomination back in November.

In a written statement, Rusnak said he and his wife recently started a family and, writing about his two sons, said that "though I try to spend as much time with them as I can when I am home in our riding, I've missed close to half of their young lives."

"I want to be there more, for my young family. That's why, after much contemplation, I have decided to withdraw my name as a candidate for Member of Parliament in the upcoming 2019 election. I will no longer be running in this year's federal election."

Rusnak also cited spending more time with his family as one of the reasons behind stepping down from his former role as parliamentary secretary to then-Indigenous Services Minister Jane Philpott in August 2018.

•Don Rusnak steps down as Indigenous services parliamentary secretary

Rusnak pointed to a number of initiatives he said he's "proud" of over the past four years, including investments in Confederation College, Lakehead University and the Seven Generations Education Institute, as well as infrastructure, accessibility and agricultural projects, First Nations, social housing and business development.

"We have achieved so much since 2015, though there is still so much more to do," he said. "I look forward to seeing future leaders build on this work."

"I look forward to the continuing work as I serve as your Member of Parliament during the rest of my mandate."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/don-rusnak-not-running-1.5060857
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a tbay councillor is now seeking the liberal nomination , former liberal mpp and now tbay Mayor Bill Mauro is undecided )

Councillor will seek Liberal nomination

Northwood's Shelby Ch'ng confirms she'd like to run federally, while Mayor Bill Mauro says it's too soon to decide one way or the other if he'll throw his hat into the ring.

about 2 hours ago by: Leith Dunick

Ch'ng
Coun. Shelby Ch'ng was first elected in Northwood in 2014. (tbnewswatch.com/FILE)

THUNDER BAY – Northwood Coun. Shelby Ch’ng says she plans to seek the federal Liberal nomination in Thunder Bay-Rainy River.

Ch’ng on Monday confirmed her decision, saying it was an unexpected opportunity, but one she felt she had to take after speaking with her husband and close confidants about the possibility of running for higher office.

Meanwhile Mayor Bill Mauro, a 15-year Liberal MPP before losing his Thunder Bay-Atikokan seat in last June's provinicial election, says he's been contacted to gauge his interest, but hasn't made up his mind.

Reached by phone in Chicago while on a business trip for her bridal shop, Ch’ng said until a few days ago her plan was to help Liberal MP Don Rusnak with his re-election efforts.

However, on Sunday Rusnak announced he had decided, for family reasons, to withdraw his nomination and not seek a second term.

“I was asked if I would consider it,” said Ch’ng, first elected to Thunder Bay city council in 2014 and re-elected in a landslide last fall.

“I was a little bit shocked. You think things are going to go a certain way, but it was encouraging. I think I’m the type of person, I feel like I have a calling to serve and this the step I want to take.”

Ch’ng, who plans to file her nominations papers when she returns from the United States, is the lone candidate to publicly state their intentions at this point in the contest.

She added she believes the Liberals will win re-election nationally and wants to give the region a say at the federal level.

“The important thing is that we have good representation for the riding,” Ch’ng said.

Mauro said it's far too early in the process.

"I haven't really given it any consideration one way or the other," he said.

Ch'ng plans to continue with her city council duties for the foreseeable future, but added she has spoken to the city clerk’s office about what her requirements would be should she win the nomination.

“I would more than likely wait until the writ gets dropped and take a leave of absence.”

Councillors are allowed up to three months off, without pay, before the seat can be declared vacant.

Another former councillor, Linda Rydholm, will represent the Conservatives in the election, scheduled for October.

The NDP and Green Party have yet to name a nominee.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/councillor-will-seek-liberal-nomination-1327101

Jump to: