Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Michael Harris pc mpp Kitchener Conestoga not running Reply with quote

( pc mpp Michael Harris has decided not to run for re-election due to health concerns , which is unfortunate as he was seen as a rising star among the pc caucus )

Local MPP Michael Harris stepping down over health concerns

News 09:48 AM by Jeff Outhit Waterloo Region Record|

MPP Michael Harris

Ontario PC party MPP Michael Harris arrives for a meeting to pick an interim leader following Patrick Brown’s resignation, January 26, 2018. Harris stepped down Saturday over health concerns. - Nathan Denette , The Canadian Press

WATERLOO REGION — Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris says he's stepping down over health concerns and won't run in the provincial election June 7.

He made the announcement Saturday in a statement posted on Twitter.

"It has been an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I know for the sake of my health, it is the right call," the statement said. "I know, deep down, I shouldn't wait any longer. I need to put my health first."

Harris said he suffers from keratoconus, a progressive eye disease that's getting worse and could impair his vision or blind him. He's been dealing with it for two decades, putting off eye surgery he now needs.

Elected in 2011, the Progressive Conservative MPP has always served in opposition to Liberal governments.

He said he's been honoured and privileged to serve his constituents and is looking forward to the election of more Conservative politicians in June.

Politicians tweeted their best wishes.

"Serving our community is a big personal and family sacrifice. Thank you for all of your work over many years to make Waterloo region and Ontario a great place for all of us," Kitchener Mayor Berry Vrbanovic tweeted.

"It takes courage and conviction to put your name on a ballot, at any level of government," tweeted Cambridge MPP Kathryn McGarry, Minister of Transportation. "Best of luck, Michael, in the future."

"I know few people who enjoy being an MPP as much as you — this must have been a very difficult decision. I know that postsurgery you will return to politics with the same energy and convictions," Kitchener-Waterloo MPP Catherine Fife tweeted.

Harris has served as his party's transportation critic and its science critic. He's advocated at the Legislature for people who use service dogs and for people with rare diseases. He's also pressed the government for better roundabout rules.

In his riding the Liberals have nominated Joe Gowing, a local banker and former Catholic school trustee. The New Democrats have nominated Kelly Dick, a longtime labour advocate.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8379843-local-mpp-michael-harris-stepping-down-over-health-concerns/
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris stepping down

Ryan Flanagan, Web Journalist, CTV Kitchener

@flanaganryan
Published Saturday, April 7, 2018 2:42PM EDT

With two months to go until the provincial election, the MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga has announced that he will not be a part of it.

Michael Harris announced Saturday that he will not be running in the election.

In a statement posted to Twitter, the Progressive Conservative MPP said his decision was based on a health issue. He said he has been dealing with a worsening form of keratoconus – an eye disease which can result in reduced vision – and has been putting off corneal replacement surgery.

“I know, deep down, I shouldn’t wait any longer. I need to put my health first,” he said.

“It has been an honour and a privilege to serve the people of Kitchener-Conestoga since 2011, and I am looking forward to the election of more Ontario PC MPPs in Waterloo Region this June.”

Harris spent nearly seven years at Queen’s Park. He served as his party’s critic for the environment and transportation, among other files, and pushed the province on issues like funding for treatment for rare diseases not covered by OHIP and fees for Drive Clean tests. He was also behind a bill calling for stiff fines for anyone caught using pill presses to create counterfeit opioids.

Local politicians paid tribute to Harris on Twitter:

The Kitchener-Conestoga riding includes the townships of Wellesley, Wilmot and Woolwich, as well as the western edge of the City of Kitchener.

The Liberals have nominated Joe Gowing, a banker and former Catholic school trustee, to run in the riding in the June election, while the NDP nomination has been secured by labour advocate Kelly Dick.

The election takes place June 7.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-conestoga-mpp-michael-harris-stepping-down-1.3875584
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Harris steps down, another Harris steps up

News 07:30 PM by Jeff Outhit Waterloo Region Record|

Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris announced he’s stepping down, and won’t seek re-election due to health concerns, while his wife Sarah Harris has decided to run in his place. - Ian Stewart,Special to the Waterloo Region Record

KITCHENER — This is not how Sarah Harris expected to get into politics. But a door has opened and she's stepping through it.

Harris, 36, will seek the Progressive Conservative nomination in Kitchener-Conestoga, the riding her husband Michael Harris is vacating due to poor health.

The timing is sudden. The decision she says is not. She's long considered running for public office. Recently she attended a local campaign school for women interested in seeking election.

Michael's decision to not seek re-election as an MPP has been emotional for their family of six.

"It is very difficult. It's hard to talk about still," Sarah said, her eyes welling up. "This was a dream of his and we had to make a tough decision. But I'm totally committed. Don't let the tears overshadow anything."

It's unknown who else might seek to represent the Progressive Conservatives in the June 7 provincial election. Michael Harris announced his decision Saturday. His party will now have to organize a nomination meeting and select its candidate.

Sarah Harris expects a fair fight against whoever competes for the nomination.

Politics often runs in families. Harris says she's worked closely with her husband, campaigning with him while developing her own priorities.

"We've been a team for the last seven years," she said. "I know I have something to give to the community and I want to serve the community on my own."

Sarah works for a union, finding jobs and apprenticeships for tradespeople. Among her priorities is making everyday life more affordable. And improved health care.

"I'm a working mom. I want to make things easier for families," Harris said. She sees the way forward as fiscally responsible government, worried that the government may have to cut services to pay for its escalating debt.

In Kitchener-Conestoga the Liberals have nominated Joe Gowing, a local banker and former Catholic school trustee. The New Democrats have nominated Kelly Dick, a longtime labour advocate.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8380951-one-harris-steps-down-another-harris-steps-up/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( its now being revealed that Harris was in fact kicked out and his health issues may not of been his only reason for not running )

Harris booted from PC caucus after probe into 'sexual' messages

Michael Harris
Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris is seen in his office in this file image taken from video.

Ryan Flanagan, Web Journalist, CTV Kitchener

@flanaganryan
Published Monday, April 9, 2018 12:14PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 9, 2018 12:21PM EDT

Kitchener-Conestoga’s MPP has been removed from the Progressive Conservative caucus due to issues including a series of sexual text messages, party officials say.

Michael Harris announced Saturday that he would not run in the June election. He said the decision was due to keratoconus, an eye disease for which he needed surgery.

Huron-Bruce MPP Lisa Thompson, who chairs the PC caucus at Queen’s Park, announced Monday that Harris had been kicked out of caucus and disqualified from running in the June election following in an internal investigation.

That investigation began Friday afternoon, Thompson said, when an allegation against Harris was brought forward to party officials.

According to Thompson, the allegation included a series of text messages sent between Harris and a female intern in 2013.

“These text messages were of a sexual nature,” Thompson said in a press release.

“They included a discussion of potential part-time employment, as well as a request for her to send him photos, an invitation for her to meet with him late that evening, and reference to something that may have previously taken place in his Legislature office.”

Additionally, Thompson said, party officials were presented with a written complaint from the intern "about how she had been passed over for employment."

Thompson said Harris was asked about the allegations “and only denied that a ‘formal’ complaint was ever made.’”

Harris was first elected as MPP for Kitchener-Conestoga in 2011. He served as the PC critic for a variety of high-profile portfolios, including the environment and transportation.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/harris-booted-from-pc-caucus-after-probe-into-sexual-messages-1.3877396
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MPP Michael Harris removed from PC caucus, complaint of text messages of a "sexual nature" with former intern

Local
News
Politics
Provincial

by Mark Pare
Posted Apr 9, 2018 12:21 pm EDT

A major twist involving Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris, and a decision not to run in this June’s election.

Ontario PC Caucus Chair Lisa Thompson has released a statement, saying Harris has been removed from the caucus because of a complaint brought forward Friday, which included a written complaint from 2013 by a former intern, discussing how she’d been passed over for employment.

“There was also a series of text messages from the same time period, between the young intern and the MPP,” Thompson wrote, “These text messages were of a sexual nature.”

The full statement can be seen below:

On the afternoon of Friday April 6th, an allegation against the MPP from Kitchener-Conestoga was brought forward.

The evidence presented to us included a written complaint from 2013 by a former intern about how she had been passed over for employment. There was also a series of text messages from the same time period, between the young intern and the MPP.

These text messages were of a sexual nature. They included a discussion of potential part-time employment, as well as a request for her to send him photos, an invitation for her to meet with him late that evening, and reference to something that may have previously taken place in his Legislative office.

The MPP was asked about the issue, and only denied that a “formal” complaint was ever made.

We convened an urgent meeting the same day with the Provincial Nominations Committee (PNC). The PNC reviewed the evidence and unanimously decided to disqualify the MPP from being an Ontario PC candidate.

The Party President communicated in a written email to the MPP that he was disqualified from running as a PC candidate in the upcoming campaign.

As a result of this information a decision has been made to remove Michael Harris, MPP, from the Ontario PC caucus effective immediately.

A release came out Saturday afternoon, that Harris would not be running due to health reasons.

Harris’ wife Sarah announced Monday morning that she would seek the nomination in the riding.

http://www.570news.com/2018/04.....er-intern/
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy has balls.

5 hours ago he is saying on radio " I need to get my eyes fixed so I am stepping down"

No no, go fix your eyes since you have been booted for being a boor and cant see the writing on the wall.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
The guy has balls.

5 hours ago he is saying on radio " I need to get my eyes fixed so I am stepping down"

No no, go fix your eyes since you have been booted for being a boor and cant see the writing on the wall.

perhaps this mpp tried to hide his reasons for leaving but he might of been trying to protect his reputation and marriage

its unfortunate we lose a rising star in the pc caucus and a potential cabinet minister if the pc's form government in June

over something that is "alleged " to have occurred 5 years ago , this women should of filed a complaint back in 2013 if she felt she had been treated unfairly when she had applied for a job , there were policies in place back then to deal with this sort of thing

to wait 5 years and go public weeks before an election , leads some to wonder what her real motivation was ? the metoo movement seems to be about ruining the successful careers of prominent men over perceived unfair and inapproiate conduct of yesterday

the liberals and media are also trying to score points against the pc's over this , saying they tried to cover it up

but wynne herself has never revealed the 2 mpp's she herself had to deal with after they were accused of sexual harassment , one was Kim Craitor from Niagara falls and he resigned in 2014 but its never been revealed who the other was . its remained one of queen's parks secrets ever since

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/05/03/two-liberal-mpps-linked-to-sexual-harassment-wynne-admits.html

who is this mpp ? and why has it been kept secret for so long ? is he or she still an mpp ? did they resign years ago ? why such secrecy
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..atta boy !

You go ! Blame the victim... such an awesome response !

( and some wonder what the problem is ...amazing huh?)

'..but he might of been trying to protect his reputation and marriage '

Yea...you mean of course trying to protect the fact he is a slimeball and a cheater.

Woo Hoo... lets attack the victim. <------- seriously stupid dude. Seriously.

And how does one know you didnt even read about this but still spout inanity?....a la....." something that is "alleged " to have occurred 5 years ago "

"The party says they obtained a series of text messages 'of a sexual nature' between an intern and Harris, which included a request for her to send him photos "

I made it huge so you couldnt miss it since .
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying this alleged victim did not have a right to come forward or that her allegation is not credible , my point was she should of done so earlier and filed an official complaint with the Ontario legislature , something she does not appear to have done at this time .

who saves 5 year old text messages to begin with ? I didn't know that was even possible with most phones

and lots of people have been rejected for jobs they applied for and were interviewed for various reasons , its a tough job market out there and those rejected are bound to have hard feelings

people will question her motives when an old complaint is brought forward weeks before the election is to begin , I think that is natural for people to wonder why she decided now was the time to discuss this incident

it has the feel of a political hit job , someone wanted this mpp gone and off the ballot , whoever that was
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the mpp is admitting the conversation happened and apologises for it , he is not denying that , refers to it as a one time mistake that never went any further and says he had already discussed the incident with his wife and is in fact having eye surgery in may )

CTV Kitchener‏Verified account @CTVKitchener · 12m12 minutes ago

EXCLUSIVE: Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris tells @TylerCalver he regrets the ‘embarrassing, inappropriate conversation’ that led to his expulsion from caucus:

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1366796&binId=1.1147261&playlistPageNum=1
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
I'm not saying this alleged victim did not have a right to come forward or that her allegation is not credible

I am having a hard time believing much of what you wrote here .

Too much..." she should have"....."who waits"...."those rejected are bound to have hard feelings " and not enough the other way.

You did the same when PB got his pickle caught in her jar .

FYI... 'of' does not = 'have' .
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:
I'm not saying this alleged victim did not have a right to come forward or that her allegation is not credible

Too much..." she should have"....."who waits"...."those rejected are bound to have hard feelings " and not enough the other way.

I think Michael Harris's statement in the video best explains the situation , he admits the conversation did happen and he knew it was not acceptable behaviour

personally just skeptical as to this woman's motives , we are just weeks away from an election call . this mpp was poised to otherwise get re-elected rather easily , and now this years old incident suddenly comes to light , I'm just saying I'm skeptical as to why now ?
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also question if the punishment fits the crime ? I'm not saying the party made the wrong choice in deciding he couldn't run in the election as they have the right to vet candidates and decide if they are suitable candidates

just it seems like an extremely harsh sentence for what he is admitting to have done , which is an inapproiate conversation on his blackberry , one night 5 years ago

he's losing his job/ income and future career in politics ( which could of been high profile possibly in cabinet ) , his reputation is left seriously damaged

all because of an incident from 5 years ago he seems to admit happened and was not approiate

whatever happened to the days when an apology and I'm sorry for my actions was good enough ? these days those making the accusations want blood and want to see lives ruined literally

and we seem to have set the bar much higher for our politicians than the general public

lets be honest if we had a room full of 30 younger people aged 18-30 and asked them to put up there hand if they had a similar conversation on there phone at some point and had requested a revealing photo or shared one , what % would raise there hands ?

my guess it would be a lot of them , this kind of thing goes on all the time , the youth are doing this sort of thing everyday and think nothing of it

we'd think it was crazy if we told some high school kid he wasn't going to be allowed to have a summer job because he had an inapproiate conversation with a teenage girl and asked for a revealing photo of her
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:

On the other hand, anyone who 'thinks women don't lie is just stoopid. How can TC tell she's the righteous one? Is this the automatic assumption that all men are potential rapists again?

TC said the same thing when PB got mowed down by the casino-owners/money-launders. Same technique. The really stupid ones believed it!
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I have to say I just love when you two go full on xxxxxx. It makes this easy for me.

Lets have a peak at the absurdness of your position(s) shall we?

1)RCO- just it seems like an extremely harsh sentence for what he is admitting to have done , which is an inapproiate conversation on his blackberry , one night 5 years ago
- Take it up with the PC party , not the general public who by the way had nothing to do with this.

2)RCO- all because of an incident from 5 years ago he seems to admit happened and was not approiate

whatever happened to the days when an apology and I'm sorry for my actions was good enough ? these days those making the accusations want blood and want to see lives ruined literally

- Those days sailed, happily. She was his intern....HIS intern, meaning he had a duty to be respectful . Guess what? He wasnt. Next !

3)RCO - and we seem to have set the bar much higher for our politicians than the general public
-We have ? Ask Travis Kalanick , Harvey Weinstein , Roy Price...shall I go on? IN other words, you are completely wrong on this part.

4)RCO- lets be honest if we had a room full of 30 younger people aged 18-30 and asked them to put up there hand if they had a similar conversation on there phone at some point and had requested a revealing photo or shared one , what % would raise there hands ?

my guess it would be a lot of them , this kind of thing goes on all the time , the youth are doing this sort of thing everyday and think nothing of it

- Hmm...maybe 90%? Who knows?
Of course, who cares since this is wholly irrelevant . How many of them are bosses to the disgruntled ? Position of power? Oh.....maybe 0% ?

5)RCO- I'm just saying I'm skeptical as to why now ?
- Again, ask the damn PC party "why now" ?
You do realize that the PC party had this information 3 years ago.

Repeat after me.....Three (3) years ago, 1095 days ago, 36 months ago.....

But dont worry RCO, I left the most silly statement to last , which I will note you didnt post.

6) On the other hand, anyone who 'thinks women don't lie is just stoopid. How can TC tell she's the righteous one? Is this the automatic assumption that all men are potential rapists again?

TC said the same thing when PB got mowed down by the casino-owners/money-launders. Same technique. The really stupid ones believed it!

- LOL...well first of all, Harris confirmed it, as did the PC Party so we know factually that this woman didnt lie. SO there goes your first point, right out the window. LOL!
-and....PB and the PC Party confirmed PB did something wrong and punished him for it. So there goes the second point.

But hey...you are failthful little foot soldiers, naive ones too but thats a good thing to have when all you can see is PC blue.

You guys dont read much do you ?

How embarassing for you both.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: