Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Police chief wants to influence 2018 election Reply with quote

( well the issues he raises are legitimate , I personally don't think the police or police associations should be getting involved with the election campaign , they should be staying neutral and not appearing partisan one way or another . its nice he's interested in politics but he shouldn't be getting involved with the next Ontario election )

WRPS Chief wants to influence the 2018 Ontario election

Provincial

by Mark Douglas
Posted Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm EDT

The top cop in Waterloo Region is looking forward to being able to influence the 2018 Ontario election.

Chief Bryan Larkin is expected to be chosen as the new president of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, and tells 570 NEWS, “We’re very excited about the debate agenda.”

The Association is meeting in Kitchener this week, and while other names could be nominated before the vote on Wednesday, that’s not expected to happen.

Larkin wants to use his upcoming new role in the OACP to bring certain issues to the forefront of next year’s campaigning.

Most importantly: police funding; and tackling what Larkin describes as the ‘tsunami wave’ of the opioid crisis.

As for the legalization of marijuanna, Larkin says while that will be a federal law, the regulatory framework will be a provincial responsibility.

He wants to know, for example, if the province or individual police services will have to pay for roadside screening devices for drug-impaired drivers.

Larkin says public safety has, in a sense, fallen off the public and political agendas.

Larkin is currently the vice-president of the OACP.

Serving as president is a one-year term

http://www.570news.com/2017/06.....-election/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absurd. Police and other civil servants should certainly vote, but their organizations should not be allowed to 'contribute' to the campaign. What happens, my dear flatfoot, when the party you opposed wins?

Canadian police are pretty well outmatched by the so-called opioid crisis. Those are the most controlled drugs of all, and the coppers don't seem to have a grip on the problem. Why should they get more money to waste?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
This is absurd. Police and other civil servants should certainly vote, but their organizations should not be allowed to 'contribute' to the campaign. What happens, my dear flatfoot, when the party you opposed wins?

Canadian police are pretty well outmatched by the so-called opioid crisis. Those are the most controlled drugs of all, and the coppers don't seem to have a grip on the problem. Why should they get more money to waste?

there seemed to be some police involvement in past Ontario elections , remember one of the unions ran a pro liberal ad or something .

I really don't think they should be getting involved at all and should stay neutral , its ok to raise an issue of importance but taking a side one party or another is not right
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When civil servants can sway elections -- as they do in Ontario -- what else can you expect except that the governing party will reward them with ... pay and benefits?

Quote:
Ontario offers public servants contract extensions, 7.5-per-cent raises
By Allison Jones — Jun 12 2017

TORONTO — Ontario is offering public servants a four-year contract extension with 7.5-per-cent raises, which, if ratified, would avoid possibly contentious bargaining before the next provincial election.

The Ontario Public Service Employees Union workers would get 1.5 per cent on July 1, then one per cent on Jan. 1, 2019 and another one per cent every six months for the life of the deal. The approximately 35,500 workers and correctional staff represented by OPSEU are employed across the public sector, from administration and enforcement to social work, IT and laboratory staff.

The possible deal follows the Liberal government's successful offering to teachers and education workers of two-year extensions that came with four-per-cent raises and more than $275 million in additional funding.

OPSEU president Warren (Smokey) Thomas called the scope of the latest contract extension offer "unprecedented" and said he suspects it is related to the June 2018 election.

"I'm kind of shocked the government actually made us any kind of an offer," Thomas said. "It's no secret that my union and myself, my executive board, we're always in a battle with the government...We're at odds with them on a lot of fronts."
[....]
http://www.nationalnewswatch.c.....T_qXGgrLIV

This puts the capper on it. There won't be a balanced budget and if De Souza retains an ounce of credibility, I will be disappointed.

Remember when Hudak lost the election? It was the day he announced his intention to cut tens of thousands of civil servant jobs.

Jump to: