Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Rebel reporter assaulted at Edmonton Rally Reply with quote

( if you haven't already seen , a reporter for Rebel media was assaulted at an Edmonton rally this weekend , and to make it worse it was a female reporter who was assaulted , I'm not sure if charges have been laid yet , but the story was mostly ignored by the main stream media , although global did an article about it , could you imagine the national outrage if a female reporter for the liberal media was punched in the face at a right wing rally ? )

January 22, 2017

(UPDATE: Found!) Rebel reporter assaulted at Women's March — $1,000 reward to find him

Ezra Levant
Rebel Commander

UPDATE: WE CAUGHT HIM! Dion Bews of Edmonton, please turn yourself into the nearest police department, and prepare for a massive civil lawsuit.

BOUNTY: We received several tips, and are checking to see which one came in first. You will be contacted to receive your $1,000 bounty!

Yesterday our Alberta bureau chief, Sheila Gunn Reid, was hit in the face by an NDP thug, right on the steps of the Alberta Legislature. Here's Sheila's report:

Sheila had gone there to report on a left-wing “Women’s March.” It was basically an NDP rally against Donald Trump. So: the usual professional protesters from the left.

Of course, the event was dominated by NDP men. One of them saw Sheila, and recognized her from The Rebel.

He started arguing with her; then swearing at her; then he said he’d hit her — and then he did.

All while Sheila’s camera was rolling. Here is the full unedited video:

CLICK HERE TO HELP KEEP SHEILA SAFE

Even more incredibly, the NDP women standing right there, who saw the whole thing, immediately blocked Sheila, and helped the thug scurry away. They sided with the male criminal, against the female victim.

So much for women’s rights. The NDP doesn’t even believe women should have the benefit of the Criminal Code, if they’re conservative.

Even more incredible, a photographer from the Canadian Press named Jason Franson was right there, taking pictures the whole time. But he didn’t publish any of those pictures; he didn’t support his fellow journalist. He actually pushed Sheila, too — and verbally disparaged her.

Violence against women; blaming the victim; helping the criminal get away — all at an NDP “Women’s March”.

Obviously Sheila went straight to the police, who are investigating. But the criminal is still on the loose.

I need your help to find this NDP thug, and bring him to justice.

I will pay $1,000 to the first person who gives us information leading to the arrest of this violent NDP pig. Ask your friends, send his picture around, go through Facebook pages.

And send me all the info, at tips@therebel.media. First one to catch him gets $1,000.

(Please do not take the law into your own hands, however tempting. Leave the illegal violence to the NDP street thugs — that’s not how we behave.)

I thought Alberta was safe for journalists. But not under Rachel Notley’s NDP.

Remember, Notley herself set the tone last year, by sending an armed sheriff to block Sheila from the Legislature. And she ordered the NDP’s Justice Department to send Sheila a letter, banning her from all government premises.

Yesterday, one of Notley’s thugs simply followed the message from the top: silence Sheila at any cost.

And I’m here to say:

No. We’re going to find you, you violent thug, and you’re going to jail.

Send your information to tips@therebel.media

Yours truly,

Ezra Levant

P.S. There is no way I’m letting Notley’s thugs intimidate Sheila. So from now on, I’m sending her to public events with a professional security guard.

http://www.therebel.media/shoc.....a_ndp_thug
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

January 22, 2017 9:33 pm Updated: January 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Rebel staff member alleges she was assaulted at women’s march in Edmonton

CroppedPhilResized By Phil Heidenreich
Online journalist Global News

About 2,000 people show up at a rally at the Alberta legislature on Jan. 21, 2017. The rally was held in solidarity with the Women's March on Washington.

About 2,000 people show up at a rally at the Alberta legislature on Jan. 21, 2017. The rally was held in solidarity with the Women's March on Washington.

Ted Bauer/ Global News

WARNING: This story contains graphic language.

The Rebel posted video Sunday that appears to show one of its employees being assaulted while covering an Edmonton rally Saturday.

The video shows Rebel Alberta bureau chief, Sheila Gunn Reid, trying to interview a man at the rally, which about 2,000 people attended in solidarity with the Women’s March on Washington.

The man raises his middle finger and says, “Ezra Levant, f*** you.” Levant is a former TV host of the now-defunct Sun News Network and founder of the Rebel, a right-wing news website and activist organization.

Reid can be heard trying to interview the man as he turns his back to the camera. He then turns back and says, “Go away. Get out of my f***ing face.”

The video appears to show the man strike the camera lens and say, “You don’t have the right to film me.”

Watch below: Rebel Media video taken at an Edmonton rally in support of the Women’s March on Washington shows a man striking a camera lens.(CREDIT: Rebel Media/YouTube)

Then, someone appears to get between the man and the camera and Reid is heard saying, “He just hit me in the face.”

Global News requested a copy of the video Saturday and contacted Edmonton police for information about the incident.

In an online post Sunday, the Rebel said Reid filed a complaint with police and that they are now investigating. The post also alleges The Canadian Press, with whom Global News has a contractual relationship, had a reporter at the event who took pictures of the altercation.

Late Sunday afternoon, Global News reached out to The Canadian Press but has not yet heard back.

The Rebel posted videos and photos of the man who appeared to strike the camera and is offering a $1,000 reward to find “this violent NDP pig.” They suggest circulating his photo online but call on readers not to engage in vigilantism, “however tempting.”

READ MORE: Hundreds of Albertans protest carbon tax at second legislature rally

The Rebel made headlines last month when it organized a rally against the provincial carbon tax at the Alberta legislature which attracted hundreds of people.

On Monday, Edmonton police confirmed to Global News they are investigating a reported assault that took place on Saturday.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3198.....-edmonton/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel Media Reporter Sheila Gunn Reid Says She Was Hit At Edmonton Women's March

The Huffington Post Canada | By Maham Abedi

Email

Posted: 01/23/2017 1:28 pm EST Updated: 15 minutes ago

The Rebel Media is claiming that a female reporter was assaulted by a male protester during a women's march in Edmonton this weekend.

Two other protesters, however, have come forward to defend the man identified by the right-wing online publication.

Rebel posted a video of an altercation involving Alberta bureau chief Sheila Gunn Reid, who was covering the protest outside of the provincial legislature Saturday.

Rebel later offered a $1,000 reward, on a website called FindTheThug.ca, for name of the man in the clip. The site now identifies the man as Dion Bews — a name not yet verified by police. It's unclear if a cash prize has been claimed.

In the clip, Reid tries to ask the protester a question, but he doesn't answer.

"Go away," he says. "Get out of my f*cking face. I will break your f*cking camera."

The protester then throws a punch that appears to connect with the camera.

"With all the strength his weak little beta arms can muster up, he winds up and bashes it into my face," Reid says in the video.

the rebel womens march
A man identified as Dion Bews captured in Rebel Media's video. (Rebel Media/YouTube)

The reporter is also shown calling out witnesses, who she says failed to protect a woman from assault. The video shows one unidentified woman speaking to Reid after the incident, asking her to remain calm.

"This little loser, he just struck a woman at a women's rally, was able to escape justice and arrest," Reid says.

The Rebel Media did not return The Huffington Post Canada's request for an interview before publication.

Witnesses dispute claim

Two witnesses, seen in Rebel Media's video, took to Facebook to dispute Reid's version of events on Sunday.

Tiana Barnes and Ezra James say Reid wasn't hit.

"He just hit the camera off the tripod," says Barnes in the Facebook video. "[He] didn't actually assault her in any way."

"Had she been hit, there would have been a reaction," James adds.

Both witnesses are hoping their video stops the spread of "false information," and brings attention back to women's rights.

Ezra Levant on the incident

Rebel Media's Ezra Levant spoke out on the organization's website and Twitter, calling the man a "NDP extremist."

The incident also caught the attention of Jason Kenney, currently running for the leadership of the Alberta PC party.

"Very disturbing to see a woman punched in the face at Edmonton protest yesterday," he tweeted.

And Laureen Harper, wife of former prime minister Stephen Harper, took to Twitter to charge that the "sisters helped the guy slither away."

The media organization is now collecting donations, citing security concerns.

"I’m sending her to public events with a professional security guard," wrote Levant on the site, saying it will cost $40 per hour, plus the cost of travel.

Charges have not yet been laid in the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2.....37912.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from my web searching it appears CBC and CTV have not even published a single article about this story , could you imagine the national outrage if a high profile female reporter from another more liberal friendly network was treated the same way at a right wing rally instead ?
it would be front page news and a national story
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( an assault and uttering threats charge has been laid against the person involved in this event )

January 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Edmonton police charge man with assaulting Rebel media employee at rally

By Phil Heidenreich
Online journalist Global News

Police have laid assault charges against a man caught on video punching the camera of a Rebel media staff member at a women’s rights rally in Edmonton Saturday.

Jason Dion Bews, 34, has been charged with assault and uttering threats.

Police said they received a complaint of an assault at the Alberta legislature grounds on Saturday.

On Sunday, The Rebel, a right-wing online media and activist organization, posted video showing its Alberta bureau chief, Sheila Gunn Reid, trying to interview a man at the rally, which about 2,000 people attended in solidarity with the Women’s March on Washington.

Watch below: Rebel Media video taken at an Edmonton rally in support of the Women’s March on Washington shows a man striking a camera lens. (CREDIT: Rebel Media/YouTube)

The man raises his middle finger and is heard saying, “Ezra Levant, f*** you.” Levant is a former TV host of the now-defunct Sun News Network and founder of The Rebel.

READ MORE: Rebel staff member alleges she was assaulted at women’s march in Edmonton

Reid can be heard trying to interview the man as he turns away from the camera before turning back and saying, “Go away. Get out of my f***ing face.”

The video appears to show the man punch the camera lens and say, “You don’t have the right to film me.”

Then, someone appears to get between the man and the camera and Reid is heard saying, “He just hit me in the face.”

The Rebel posted videos and photos of the man who appeared to strike the camera and offered a $1,000 reward to find the “violent NDP pig.” They suggested circulating his photo online but called on readers not to engage in vigilantism, “however tempting.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/3203.....52567981=1
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( ctv Edmonton appears to have picked up the story although nothing from cbc yet that I can see )

Police investigating alleged assault of female reporter covering Women’s March

Julia Parrish, CTV Edmonton
Published Monday, January 23, 2017 7:17PM MST
Last Updated Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:25AM MST

Police said an investigation was underway into the alleged assault of a female reporter at the Women’s March in Edmonton Saturday.

Sheila Gunn Reid, a contributor to the conservative online media group called The Rebel Media, was at the Women’s March on the Alberta Legislature grounds on Saturday when she said she was assaulted.

The Rebel released video showing the incident, where Reid attempts to interview an individual in the crowd from behind the camera. The video continues with the man lashing out, striking the camera.

Reid is then seen saying: “He just hit me in the face” As the man leaves, disappearing into the crowd.

Reid said she took the video to police, who said they are investigating.

The man in the video was later identified as Dion Bews – and he spoke to CTV News Monday.

Bews said he had spoken to police, and he was told he won’t be facing charges.

He told CTV News Reid had continued trying to interview him, after he had asked her not to – he said he became frustrated. Bews claims he didn’t hit her in the face, but he hit her camera, which he said was on a tripod – he also said he didn’t think the camera hit her.

Bews said in the days since the incident, he hasn’t left his home because he and his wife have received hundreds of threats through texts, phone calls and emails.

Meanwhile, Ezra Levant, also with The Rebel Media, has offered a $1000 reward for information leading to charges, which Bews called a “bounty”.

Reid is standing by her story, saying Monday in a tweet: “Are you okay? Is what a normal person would say to someone who was just assaulted. No Women’s Marcher said that to me.”

With files from Matt Woodman and The Canadian Press

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story attributed an online apology to Dion Bews, CTV News has determined the account was not connected to Bews in any way.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/pol.....-1.3254025
Pissedoff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Edmonton Sun he has been charged.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/201.....mens-rally

Police said Monday they were investigating assault allegations made by a reporter for The Rebel TV, an online outlet devoted to right-wing commentary, activism and reporting.

Jason Dion Bews is charged with uttering threats and one count of assault.

So will they now investigate the other women for lying?
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the ctv article appears to be inaccurate when they said he wasn't going to face charges as clearly he has been charged )

'He just hit me in the face'; Man charged after alleged assault at Edmonton rally

THE CANADIAN PRESS

First posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 09:05 PM EST | Updated: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 09:12 PM EST

Jason Bews
Police have charged Jason Bews, 34, with assault and uttering threats after he allegedly put his hands on a reporter from The Rebel TV. (YouTube screengrab)

EDMONTON — A man faces charges stemming from a political rally in Edmonton on the weekend.

Police have charged Jason Bews, 34, with assault and uttering threats.

The complainant is a reporter for The Rebel TV, an online outlet devoted to right-wing commentary, activism and reporting.

In video released by The Rebel, the reporter Sheila Gunn Reid is seen attempting to interview a man at the rally, which drew more than 2,000 people to support American protesters opposed to the presidency of Donald Trump.

In the video the man asks her several times to “go away,” then threatens to break her camera when she doesn’t.

The video appears to show the man shoving his hand into the camera lens.

“He just hit me in the face!” Reid says on the video, attempting to follow the man.

On the video, a female bystander tries to calm the situation, telling Reid: “You deserve to be angry ... We need to (ensure) nothing more happens.

“I’m pushing (the man) away.”

Reid continues to express her displeasure and addressed the woman, saying “You feminist! That guy just hit me in the face!”

The woman encouraged Reid to contact security.

The Rebel is fundraising for a security detail to accompany their reporter on future assignments.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....nton-rally
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who smacked the camera has been charged. This is as it should be. Just because it is Rebel (We are not)Media means nothing.

So by all means , lets report it and carry on.

But RCO, I would like to ask ....Why are you ramping the hyperbole on this?

Whats the end game? I find you rather thoughtful for the most part, you do a legion job in supplying links and news and assembling them here, so why?

Why does anyone play into the Rebels shtick? No idea why the idiot who pushed the camera to Sheilas face....and it was stupid to play into their game.

RM 's sole game is to incite and agitate. Why go along with it?

To whit...
1) CBC did report on it.
2) Why is it 'worse' that it was a female who was hit?. The guy who has been charged was a little guy. (I would agree w you if she were 90 lbs and he 6ft 8 220...but we know that aint it)
3) I dont for a second think CTV News would make any deal out of a Halifax CBC reporter getting a face full of camera. Why is this different?
4) In light of the big newsmakers, a la Trump, maybe there wasnt 'enough' in this story to bother about? Its not like they have unlimited range to report.

I am more bothered by this idiot (the assaulter) playing into the Rebel game. They are in desparate need of funds and this is how they play to the suckers.
Ezra, who frankly I find a complete and utter POS, is in a wee bit of trouble. He lost another court case and his penalties are more than $200,000 that he must personally fund. Add all the other suits he has lost (has he ever won?) and the bills rack up.

I say look beyond the facade of what they do and ask....why?

I also will say.....dont be like them (if you want to I guess you can), there is no need to ramp the hyperbole, obfuscate any facts, report what appears to be falsehoods. Let them do that, you need not add to the crap that gets spewed. (and that goes for all media)

We have a new sheriff in the south town and the blatant crap being generated already is alarming. Lets not lose the simple fact that we are Canucks and we do things differently.
At least I hope we did and will continue to do so in the future.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe the CBC did eventually report it but I personally never saw any articles from the CBC when I searched thru google

just think it didn't get the kind of attention similar events got , if anyone still remembers the City TV incident from a few years back in Toronto when an attractive female report was targeted by 2 guys who said " sexually suggestive " things to her , they were calling for the one to be fired from his high paying job at hydro one over the comments
it was made into a huge incident that got incredible amounts of press in Canada

anyways I just though it was a worthy incident to add to the media watch category and something people might of found interesting
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
maybe the CBC did eventually report it but I personally never saw any articles from the CBC when I searched thru google

They reported it at a little after 1PM on Monday.

Global
Huff Post
CTV
Globe and Mail....all reported about this incident on Monday.
Quote:

just think it didn't get the kind of attention similar events got ,

I would not put those two incidents on equal footing. One was au currant in the media all over NAm and this one was a minor incident in Edmonton, and one quite frankly that happens daily.

Quote:

anyways I just though it was a worthy incident to add to the media watch category and something people might of found interesting

No argument there. Nothing to suggest that it should not be reported or posted by you, however....the addition of hyperbole in this heated market is a mugs game
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw a CBC article when I searched google , perhaps they used a different headline than what I searched ,
I also never saw it posted to " national newswatch " or if it was posted it wasn't on a prominent part of there site

ctv Edmonton did do an article but its full of half truths and fake news , they try to claim he won't be facing charges , when in fact he is facing 2 serious criminal charges over the incident

these kind of incidents happen daily ? really are female reporters being threatened and possibly assaulted at protests on a daily basis ?
I agree there have been similar incidents before and some have been much worse , at the trump inauguration an alt right activist/ Richard spencer ? was punched in he face when being interviewed on tv

why was the city tv incident more news worthy , it was really just a rather minor thing that went viral and turned into something much bigger , by the news media in Toronto

Jump to: