Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Sault Ste Marie mpp David Orazietti to leave politics Reply with quote

( wynne just lost another cabinet minister and a star northern mpp , this news literally just broke , more to come as we learn more )

BREAKING: David Orazietti to leave politics

The MPP made the announcement at his office this afternoon
19 shares
18 minutes ago by: Darren Taylor

2106-06-30 Orazietti school funding announcement DMH-1
Sault MPP David Orazietti is pictured in this June 30 file photo at Korah Collegiate. Donna Hopper/SooToday

David Orazietti announced this afternoon that he is leaving politics after 13 years as Sault Ste. Marie's member of provincial parliament.

The 48-year-old is leaving Kathleen Wynne's cabinet effective today. He currently serves as Ontario's Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services.

He will be stepping down as the Sault's MPP effective Dec. 31.

He told reporters this afternoon he will spend more time with family.

Orazietti made the announcement moments ago at his Great Northern Road office.

SooToday will have full coverage from today's announcement

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/david-orazietti-to-leave-politics-491385
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario's Corrections minister resigns

Ainslie Cruickshank

Friday, December 16th, 2016

Ontario’s Community Safety and Correctional Services Minister has resigned, CTV is reporting.

David Orazietti, the MPP for Sault Ste. Marie, announced his decision to resign from cabinet Friday afternoon at a press conference in the riding.

He will step down as the MPP for Sault Ste. Marie as of the end of this month, Jairus Patterson, a CTV reporter at the event, tweeted.

More to come …

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/16.....r-resigns/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario Correctional Services Minister David Orazietti quits

SAULT STE MARIE, Ont. — The Canadian Press

Published Friday, Dec. 16, 2016 3:29PM EST

Liberal cabinet minister David Orazietti has announced that he is stepping down.

The Community Safety and Correctional Services minister made the announcement in his Sault Ste. Marie riding today, saying he is leaving his cabinet post immediately and will serve as MPP until the end of the month.

Orazietti was first elected in 2003, and has also served as Government and Consumer Services minister and Natural Resources minister.

A former high school teacher, Orazietti first jumped into politics at the local level, serving as a city councillor for two terms.

Several of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s cabinet ministers stepped down this summer when house prorogued.

Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur left politics altogether, while Seniors Minister Mario Sergio, Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Ted McMeekin and cabinet chair Jim Bradley resigned from cabinet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....e33352034/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orazietti Resigns

By Content Team -
December 16, 2016

Sault MPP and Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services held a news conference today announcing his resignation from provincial politics . Orazietti made the following statement today at his office.

Although this is a very difficult decision, and one I do not make lightly, I am announcing my resignation from provincial politics.

I first and foremost would like to thank the people of Sault Ste. Marie for supporting me through four elections and for giving me the honour and privilege of bringing their voice to the provincial legislature for more than 13 years.

I feel very fortunate to have been able to represent my fellow citizens, in a community such as ours – one that is hardworking, passionate, and has so much potential.
I am proud of what we have accomplished together for Sault Ste. Marie.

A career in politics comes with many sacrifices. For me, that has meant missing many family events and important milestones in my children’s lives. As time goes on, it has become increasingly difficult for me to make these sacrifices and be away from home. My wife Jane, our children and our extended family have been incredibly supportive and understanding of the commitment that political life brings.

After spending over a decade serving our community at Queen’s Park, it is time for me, and my family, to start a new chapter in our lives.

That is why, as of today, I will be stepping down as Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services, and, on December 31, 2016, will be stepping down as MPP for the riding of Sault Ste. Marie.

Thank you to my constituency staff for their tremendous commitment to our community and hard work over the years.

I would like to thank Premier Kathleen Wynne and former Premier Dalton McGuinty for their support throughout my political career, as well as my caucus colleagues for their friendship and support of our community’s priorities.

I would also like to wish the residents of Sault Ste. Marie all the best this holiday season, and in the years to come.

http://saultonline.com/2016/12/orazietti-resigns/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier reacts to David Orazietti stepping down

Both were first elected to the provincial legislature in 2003
4 shares
18 minutes ago by: SooToday Staff

2016 - 08 - 08 - Kathleen Wynn - Klassen-5
David Orazietti and Premier Kathleen Wynne are pictured at Bellevue Park in this file photo. Jeff Klassen for SooToday

Premier Kathleen Wynne's statement on David Orazietti's decision to step down as Sault MPP follows:

Premier’s statement on David Orazietti

Premier Kathleen Wynne issued the following statement today thanking David Orazietti, for his service to the people of Ontario:

“I want to thank David Orazietti for 13 years of dedication and leadership on behalf of the people of Sault Ste. Marie, and people all across Ontario.

David and I were both first elected as MPPs in 2003. I quickly came to appreciate his passionate, activist approach to making a positive difference in people’s lives. As a backbench MPP, David introduced Private Member’s Bills to improve northern highways, protect children from second-hand smoke in vehicles, increase the northern health travel grant, improve access to breast cancer screenings and better protect consumers from unfair business practices.

At the Cabinet table, David was a strong voice for Northern Ontario. As the Minister of Natural Resources, Government and Consumer Services, and most recently, Community Safety and Correctional Services, David’s leadership has helped our team build Ontario up and make government more responsive to people’s everyday challenges.

Throughout all his roles in Cabinet and caucus, David never ceased to be a fantastic and tireless representative for the people of the Soo. Above all else, David was at Queen’s Park to represent his community. The people of Sault Ste. Marie are fortunate to have had 13 years of representation from someone as committed, caring and effective as David.

Public service is a great honour, but it is not without sacrifice. Particularly for members who travel great distances to be at Queen’s Park, the time away from family is hard. While I will personally miss David and his unshakeable focus on meeting the needs and expectations of the people we are honoured to serve, I am happy that his decision to step down as the MPP for Sault Ste. Marie will mean more time to spend with his wife Jane and their two children.

I wish David all the best in his future endeavours.

Earlier this afternoon the LG accepted my recommendation that Minister Flynn be appointed to temporarily assume the Community Safety and Correctional Services portfolio in addition his existing duties.”

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/premier-reacts-to-david-orazietti-stepping-down-491474
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement on the resignation of Minister David Orazietti

December 16, 2016

The following is statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown:

“On behalf of the Ontario PC Party, I thank David for his years of service to our province as a MPP and a Cabinet Minister, and wish him the very best in the next chapter of his life and career.

“Minister Orazietti’s resignation is a reflection of the tired, self-interested government that has held onto power for 13 long years. This is the first in a long line of Liberal MPPs who will jump ship before the 2018 election.

“An experienced lawyer and a City Councillor since 2014, Ontario PC candidate Ross Romano has served the Sault Ste. Marie community for years. We look forward to working tirelessly to spread our positive message of a more prosperous Northern Ontario with the people of Sault Ste. Marie.”

The following is a statement from Ross Romano, Ontario PC Candidate for Sault Ste. Marie:

“I am proud to represent the Ontario PC Party in Sault Ste. Marie and to share our vision for a more prosperous Northern Ontario.

“This upcoming by-election in Sault Ste. Marie will be an opportunity to send Premier Kathleen Wynne a strong message. After 13 years, life’s harder under the Liberals. Skyrocketing hydro bills have driven families into energy poverty and businesses out of the province. Cut after cut to our health care services have meant patients are languishing and waiting for care, and Liberal scandal has meant billions of taxpayer dollars have been wasted.

“The Ontario PC Party will work hard to earn the trust of the people of Sault Ste. Marie and to hold the Wynne Liberals accountable. I look forward to working hard for the opportunity to represent my constituents’ best interests at Queen’s Park.”

http://ontariopc.com/News/Deta.....Orazietti-
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario's Corrections minister resigns

Ainslie Cruickshank

Friday, December 16th, 2016

Ontario’s Community Safety and Correctional Services Minister David Orazietti is leaving provincial politics — and a ministry that’s faced repeated criticism over its use of solitary confinement — to spend more time with his family.

Orazietti, the Liberal MPP for Sault Ste. Marie, announced his decision to resign immediately from cabinet on Friday afternoon. He will step down as MPP at the end of this month.

That leaves Premier Kathleen Wynne until the end of June to call a byelection, roughly one year before the next general election.

“A career in politics comes with many sacrifices. For me, that has meant missing many family events and important milestones in my children’s lives,” said Orazietti, a father of two, in a statement.

“As time goes on, it has become increasingly difficult for me to make these sacrifices and be away from home,” he said.

Orazietti, who previously served as minister of Government and Consumer Services and Natural Resources minister, was appointed minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services in June.

Since then he’s dealt with repeated criticisms over the ministry’s use of solitary confinement — in particular the treatment of Adam Capay, a 24-year old man who has spent four years in solitary confinement awaiting trial, much of that time in a windowless cell under 24-hour artificial light, as the Globe and Mail has reported.

On Thursday, the day before his resignation, Orazietti announced new investments to improve the supports available to inmates, particularly those with mental health challenges, including new segregation managers tasked with reducing the high rates of solitary confinement at certain high priority prisons.

The $33 million investment comes ahead of an independent review led by federal correctional investigator Howard Sapers that will examine the use of segregation in Ontario’s correctional facilities beginning in January.

Until a new minister is appointed, the responsibility for Community Safety and Correctional Services will fall to Kevin Flynn, the minister of Labour, Wynne said Friday.

Following his resignation Wynne thanked Orazietti for “13 years of dedication and leadership.” Both Wynne and Orazietti were elected for the first time in 2003.

“I quickly came to appreciate his passionate, activist approach to making a positive difference in people’s lives,” she said in a statement.

“David’s leadership has helped our team build Ontario up and make government more responsive to people’s everyday challenges.”

While Wynne said public service is an honour, she recognized the sacrifices that come alongside it.

“Particularly for members who travel great distances to be at Queen’s Park, the time away from family is hard,” she said.

“While I will personally miss David and his unshakeable focus on meeting the needs and expectations of the people we are honoured to serve, I am happy that his decision to step down as the MPP for Sault Ste. Marie will mean more time to spend with his wife Jane and their two children.”

While NDP leader Andrea Horwath and PC leader Patrick Brown both released statements wishing Orazietti well and thanking him for his years of service as an MPP, the PCs took the opportunity to do a little early campaigning as well.

“This upcoming by-election in Sault Ste. Marie will be an opportunity to send Premier Kathleen Wynne a strong message,” said Ross Romano, who was nominated as the PC candidate for Sault Ste. Marie in early November.

Romano is a city councillor in Sault Ste. Marie and a lawyer.

“After 13 years, life’s harder under the Liberals,” he said, pointing to “skyrocketing” electricity prices and other issues plaguing the Liberals.

“The Ontario PC Party will work hard to earn the trust of the people of Sault Ste. Marie and to hold the Wynne Liberals accountable. I look forward to working hard for the opportunity to represent my constituents’ best interests at Queen’s Park,” he said.

While Orazietti held the Sault Ste. Marie riding for the Liberals from 2003 onward, the Liberals could have a tough byelection ahead with Wynne polling at 16 per cent approvals.

Before Orazietti was elected in 2003, the riding was an NDP stronghold for 18 years, represented between 1985 and 1990 by Karl Morin-Strom, and then Tony Martin until 2003.

The PCs held it for the three and a half decades before Morin-Strom won in 1985.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/16.....r-resigns/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the by election is the Soo will be especially interesting , I've never actually been to this city before but fairly familiar with the area , my feel is its somewhat isolated from the rest of the province and economically struggling

David Orazietti had done very well here in 2014 and seemed to have some personal appeal , think without him on the ballot the liberals aren't going to do as well here , also find In the soo a lot of the candidates seem to come from city hall so wonder if that will be the case for ndp and liberals ? , pc's already have a city councillor nominated

wouldn't be surprised if the by-election turns into a 3 way race much like the recent federal election in this riding , it was a true 3 way race according to polls until the liberals pulled ahead later in the campaign

the pc's between 2003 and 2014 have only been getting between 7% and 12 % in this riding which is rather pitiful although it did vote cpc federally in 2011 and before orazietti in 1999 the pc's got 28% of the vote so I think there is some room to grow and get back to normal and better Ontario pc levels here

the ndp could also do a lot better , they had actually won the riding in the 90's and when Tony Martin was mp and mpp , and had still managed between 25% and 30% of the vote even when Orazietti was winning by large margins

wynne could also choose to delay the by-election for some time , as late is June ? considering the north is so wintery I'd say Jan and Feb is out of the question , although spring maybe ? so the new mpp's term will be very short either way
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orazietti reflects on success, challenges as MPP; excited to spend more time with family (video)

Premier, Mayor and Sault MP comment after Orazietti's retirement announcement
122 shares
about 18 hours ago by: Darren Taylor

David Orazietti with wife Jane, son Alexander and daughter Olivia after he announced he will soon be retiring from politics, Dec. 16, 2016. Darren Taylor/SooToday

It’s the end of an era in Sault Ste. Marie politics.

David Orazietti announced Friday he is stepping down after 13 years as Sault Ste. Marie's member of provincial parliament.

The 48-year-old is leaving Kathleen Wynne's cabinet effective today. He currently serves as Ontario's Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services.

He will be stepping down as the Sault's MPP effective Dec. 31.

Orazietti told reporters at his Great Northern Road office he is leaving politics to spend more time with his family.

He told reporters he informed Premier Kathleen Wynne of his intentions following Wednesday's cabinet meeting.

A by-election, to elect a new Sault Ste. Marie MPP, must be called within six months.

“It’s been a very difficult decision…but my time away from home has continued to grow with the demands of work and I have missed many events in my childrens’ lives and I need to be in Sault Ste. Marie, and I’m excited about being back in Sault Ste. Marie to be able to spend more time with my family,” Orazietti said, with his wife Jane and two children at his side.

“I want to thank the residents of Sault Ste. Marie from the bottom of my heart for the four elections and the 13 years that they supported me through,” Orazietti said, also thanking his constituency office staff for their work.

Orazietti said he will be discussing his future professional plans with his family over Christmas.

Orazietti said he feels his biggest accomplishments as a member of the governing Liberal party over the past 13 years have been in healthcare and education.

“We had two older hospitals on the waterfront, we didn’t have the radiation therapy here locally (in 2003)…the investment the province has made in healthcare in Sault Ste. Marie has been significant,” Orazietti said, referring to the new Sault Area Hospital, a decreased doctor shortage, a nurse practitioner-led clinic and other initiatives.

“In the education sector there have been some very significant changes…I think of Algoma University, the newest university in Ontario and there’s considerable potential there, there are new schools (for both the ADSB and H-SCDSB),” said Orazietti, a former high school teacher.

The greatest challenge he’s faced as MPP?

“I would say, as a northern MPP, and looking at the 107 ridings, with more ridings being added in the GTA, the ongoing challenge will be for northern members to see resources from the province flow into their communities…that has been my challenge for more than 13 years.”

Orazietti's full statement can be read here

Premier Kathleen Wynne has also issued a statement

“I want to congratulate David Orazietti on being such a successful representative for Sault Ste. Marie,” said Sault MP Terry Sheehan, speaking to SooToday.

“His tenacity, his ability to get the job done, was amazing, and I appreciated his support and endorsement when I ran for MP.”

“A lot of what he does and how he represents, putting the Sault first, fighting for every inch, is something he has done and something I try to emulate,” Sheehan said.

“To David, Jane and the children, I wish them all the best, they deserve the time together they are going to have now…he will be sorely missed, as he and I worked very closely together on a number of items when I was a city councillor and school board trustee.”

“The first thing that comes to mind is his service and for his successes. We thank him for those,” Sault Mayor Christian Provenzano told SooToday.

“Whatever side of the partisan divide you sit on, or whether or not you sit on one side of the partisan divide, I think that anybody who is rational and objective has to recognize David has had some tremendous successes for our community and you can see his mark across the community. You can see his marks in infrastructure, our hospital and our nurse practitioner clinic,” Provenzano said.

To read Provenzano’s statement, click here

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/orazietti-reflects-on-success-challenges-as-mpp-excited-to-spend-more-time-with-family-video-491630
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC leader says Orazietti 'is the first in a long line of Liberal MPPs who will jump ship before 2018 election'

Local PC candidate Ross Romano and Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath also chime in on the resignation
11 shares
about 20 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

2015-07-28%20PC%20Caucus%20Meeting%20KA%2001
FILE PHOTO L-R: MPP Vic Fedeli, city councillor Ross Romano and Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown speak immediately after a photo op for the PC caucus meeting in Sault Ste. Marie. Kenneth Armstrong/SooToday

NEWS RELEASE

PATRICK BROWN
ONTARIO PC LEADER

“On behalf of the Ontario PC Party, I thank David for his years of service to our province as a MPP and a Cabinet Minister, and wish him the very best in the next chapter of his life and career.

“Minister Orazietti’s resignation is a reflection of the tired, self-interested government that has held onto power for 13 long years. This is the first in a long line of Liberal MPPs who will jump ship before the 2018 election.

“An experienced lawyer and a city councillor since 2014, Ontario PC candidate Ross Romano has served the Sault Ste. Marie community for years. We look forward to working tirelessly to spread our positive message of a more prosperous Northern Ontario with the people of Sault Ste. Marie.”

The following is a statement from Ross Romano, Ontario PC Candidate for Sault Ste. Marie:

“I am proud to represent the Ontario PC Party in Sault Ste. Marie and to share our vision for a more prosperous Northern Ontario.

“This upcoming by-election in Sault Ste. Marie will be an opportunity to send Premier Kathleen Wynne a strong message. After 13 years, life’s harder under the Liberals. Skyrocketing hydro bills have driven families into energy poverty and businesses out of the province. Cut after cut to our health care services have meant patients are languishing and waiting for care, and Liberal scandal has meant billions of taxpayer dollars have been wasted.

“The Ontario PC Party will work hard to earn the trust of the people of Sault Ste. Marie and to hold the Wynne Liberals accountable. I look forward to working hard for the opportunity to represent my constituents’ best interests at Queen’s Park.”

The following is a release by Andrea Horwath, Ontario NDP leader:

“On behalf of Ontario’s New Democrats, I want to congratulate David Orazietti for more than a decade of public service as the Member of Provincial Parliament for Sault Ste. Marie. While we didn’t always see eye-to-eye on matters of policy, I respect his commitment to his constituents and to his community. We wish David the very best in his future projects.”

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/pc-leader-says-orazietti-is-the-first-in-a-long-line-of-liberal-mpps-who-will-jump-ship-before-2018-election-491575
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats fleeing Liberal ship?

Andre Marin
By Andre Marin
First posted: Sunday, December 25, 2016 02:23 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, December 25, 2016 02:26 PM EST

Corrections Minister David Orazietti had barely pledged to fix the mess his predecessor Yasir Naqvi left for him when he quit a few weeks ago, citing the usual, cliched and platitudinal reason of rejoining his family.

Orazietti said it is “a very difficult decision, and one I do not make lightly” to spend more time with his wife and two children.

“As time goes on, it has become increasingly difficult for me to make these sacrifices and be away from home. My wife, Jane, our children and our extended family have been incredibly supportive and understanding of the commitment that political life brings,” added Orazietti, who has served four terms over 13 years. “After spending over a decade serving our community at Queen’s Park, it is time for me, and my family, to start a new chapter in our lives.

“I travel about 400 miles to go to work,” he said looking for sympathy. “When we started, our daughter was three years old. She’s now 16. Our son wasn’t around and he’s going to be eight. This is a decision so that I’m able to spend more time with them. I’ve missed many of the milestones in their lives and made a personal sacrifice to do that.”

Get me a violin so I can play a sad song.

The way Orazietti put it, he just discovered that Sault Ste. Marie is 400 miles (640 km) from Queen’s Park. And he has to walk it bare foot in the snow.

Truth told, there’s a 90-minute direct flight between Sault Ste. Marie and Toronto. It’s not unusual for people who live in the GTA to commute an hour and a half between their home and their place of work. So why did Orazietti pull the plug?

Let’s put all of this in perspective. Yes, politics is a thankless job. Having recently ran in a 28-day byelection, I can attest that politics is ruthless, thankless and takes a toll on your life. I can only imagine when you add a ministerial portfolio to the mix.

But by quitting 16 months from a general election, Orazietti’s move smacks of rats fleeing a sinking ship. Depending on when Premier Kathleen Wynne calls the byelection, Sault Ste. Marie could face a byelection, a municipal election and a general provincial election all within 12 months — a slap in the face to taxpayers.

Orazietti’s move is not all that unusual for politicians when their party is tanking at the polls and an election is right around the corner. Former colleague Madeleine Meilleur also quit a few months before citing to spend more time with family. I expect more provincial Liberals to abandon their job, but they won’t tell you it’s got something to do with Wynne hovering at 15% approval rating in the polls. It’ll be because they miss their kids, no doubt.

Peter MacKay ditched the federal conservative party months before the general election where it lost power in 2015. He too stepped down to focus on his “young and growing family.” It all sounded very noble, but in fact it’s pretty selfish, especially since he went straight into practising law full time in Toronto.

Politicians seek a four-year mandate from the electorate. They get elected. They should honour their commitment until the end, short of extreme circumstances such as serious illness.

Aspiring MPPs should be compelled to sign an understanding filed with the integrity commissioner that they have consulted their family, that they are seeking public office, and that the duties are onerous, time consuming and demanding. And absent unique circumstances, they will fulfil their full term.

Such a commitment would be hard to enforce, but at least it would lay out the expectations of our elected representatives and spare taxpayers from forking out millions of dollars running byelections when a politician gets cold feet because their party becomes a lame duck and unpopular in the polls.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....beral-ship
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hard talk of the Liberals losing up to five minister prior to the summer;

Given that the OLP is holding their majority with three seats, I would imagine that we will see these retirements, resignations, or whatever comes slowly and likely two by-elections at a time.

The Liberals at a minimum appear to be in a situation where their caucus may shrink with the next election unless something significant changes and like we saw Federally when the CPC appeared to be in the same situation MPs started seeking other positions.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

Aspiring MPPs should be compelled to sign an understanding filed with the integrity commissioner that they have consulted their family, that they are seeking public office, and that the duties are onerous, time consuming and demanding. And absent unique circumstances, they will fulfil their full term.

While I understand that Marin is attempting to stay relevant, the above is absolutely ridiculous.

David Orazietti has served as an MPP since 2003;
When he was in his early to mid 30s. Life changes and your priories change over the course of time and considering he was an MP for 13 years I don't fault him for leaving with nearly two years till his mandate is up.

A situation like Joe Cimino who was elected in June and had walked away from his seat by November, that is a different story.

Sure, by-elections are expensive the problem is that an MPP/MP/MNA/MLA who was threatened with some sort of consequence for stepping down would simply be in Parliament less where there is no consequence for not attending or in their constituency office less

I would rather have the option have an person who represents me want to be there rather than being there by some nonsensical commitment to the Integrity Office.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:

While I understand that Marin is attempting to stay relevant, the above is absolutely ridiculous.

David Orazietti has served as an MPP since 2003;
When he was in his early to mid 30s. Life changes and your priories change over the course of time and considering he was an MP for 13 years I don't fault him for leaving with nearly two years till his mandate is up.

A situation like Joe Cimino who was elected in June and had walked away from his seat by November, that is a different story.

Sure, by-elections are expensive the problem is that an MPP/MP/MNA/MLA who was threatened with some sort of consequence for stepping down would simply be in Parliament less where there is no consequence for not attending or in their constituency office less

I would rather have the option have an person who represents me want to be there rather than being there by some nonsensical commitment to the Integrity Office.

for this situation I don't see any other options other than to have a by-election and elect a new mpp possibly for a term of only a year or less .

the other option would of been for him to stay on but if he already had a new job lined up or lost interest in the job it mean he might not be doing a good job in the role or less focused

the only alternative to having all these by-elections after someone quit or left would be for an "appointment " to be made instead but that wouldn't be democratic and who would be the one making the appointment ? if the government was it guarantee they'd appoint another member of there own party for the seat

appointments would take the "ballot " out of the voters hands and take away one of the better ways of holding a government accountable that being by-elections
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the pc push has already begun in the Soo )

Sault by-election unofficially starts (2 photos)

PC leader Patrick Brown visits Sault to support local candidate Ross Romano; dumps on Wynne government policies, calls for need to focus on skilled trades jobs
8 shares
about 13 hours ago by: Darren Taylor

Patrick Brown, Ontario Progressive Conservative leader, tries a Soo Greyhound jersey on for size at a meet and greet in Sault Ste. Marie, Jan. 2, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Patrick Brown, Ontario Progressive Conservative leader, and Ross Romano, Sault PC candidate, at a meet and greet in Sault Ste. Marie, Jan. 2, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Patrick Brown, Progressive Conservative Party leader and Ontario’s Leader of the Opposition, visited Sault Ste. Marie Monday.

Briefly donning a Soo Greyhounds jersey before delivering a speech, Brown was in the Sault to support local PC candidate Ross Romano at a public meet and greet held at Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites, but it was clear most of the audience consisted of the party faithful.

On his sixth visit to the Sault, Brown dumped on Premier Kathleen Wynne’s cap and trade policy, high hydro rates and problems in postsecondary education.

Brown said a Progressive Conservative government would put more emphasis on leading young people into pursuing careers in skilled trades, engineering and information technology in Ontario, and put less emphasis on liberal arts education.

The meet and greet came just two days after David Orazietti’s time as Sault MPP officially came to an end, after the long-serving Liberal MPP and cabinet minister announced his withdrawal from politics Dec. 16.

A by-election must be called to elect a new MPP for the Sault riding within six months, but with Monday’s event, Romano wasted no time in unofficially launching his own campaign to take the riding for the PCs.

Romano, a Ward 6 city councillor and lawyer who was selected to be the PC candidate for the Sault riding in November, acknowledged to SooToday he would have big political shoes to fill as Orazietti, the Sault’s MPP who made many key funding announcements over the past 13 years, leaves the political scene.

“I think David did an exceptional job…he did bring a lot of funding to the Sault (but) my perspective is I think I can do as well, and I hope to do a lot better,” Romano said.

“I think bringing money to Sault Ste. Marie is one thing, but we need more than just funds in the Sault, I think we need to really look at creating some new industries, making the Sault a place where people want to do business in.”

“Tourism, to me, is an area we really need to push,” Romano said, adding jobs in skilled trades areas, information technology, a data centre for OLG and development of the Port of Algoma each need to be pursued.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-by-election-unofficially-starts-501607

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: