Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Calgary ndp mla Karen Mcpherson to sit as independent Reply with quote

( the odds of her getting re elected as ndp in suburban Calgary were slim to none so why not give it a try as an independent ? maybe )

Calgary MLA Karen McPherson leaves NDP caucus to sit as Independent

By The Canadian Press — Oct 4 2017

CALGARY — One of Premier Rachel Notley's Calgary NDP members says she is disillusioned with the polarized state of politics in Alberta and has quit the caucus.

"Albertans need political choices that inspire them, not scare them," backbencher Karen McPherson said on social media Wednesday.

"Our world is becoming increasingly polarized with pressures of left and right politics. I don't reflect either of those options."

She said her constituents are concerned about Alberta's high deficit and debt loads. Innovative solutions are needed to deliver the same services at a lower price in health care and education, she said.

McPherson said she needs freedom from caucus constraints to advocate for those changes and to find middle-ground solutions.

"I think that there's an opportunity to ask more pointed, more robust questions sitting as an Independent."

McPherson, a first-term member who represents Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill, said she will meet in the coming days with constituents to discuss how to advocate for them. She said she hasn't approached or been approached by another party and isn't thinking about that right now.

She hasn't ruled out running for re-election in 2019.

Notley's office declined comment and deferred to comments by Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley.

"That's a decision she (McPherson) made of her own volition," Ganley said in Calgary. "I can't speak to what her motivations were.

"I know that we have a fantastic caucus that will continue to work hard for Albertans."

McPherson came to government as a business analyst with more than two decades of experience in IT, mostly in the oil and gas industry.

Two other MLAs are also sitting as Independents after leaving the new United Conservative Party caucus.

Former finance critic Derek Fildebrandt resigned in August after questions arose over his expenses and it was revealed he rented out his taxpayer-subsidized apartment.

Calgary MLA Rick Fraser left in September over what he said was a fractious leadership race that showed the newly merged right-of-centre party will continue down the road of divisive politics.

McPherson said her decision to leave the NDP caucus was inspired, in part, by Fraser.

"I did give him a call after he made his announcement," she said.

"I appreciate how much courage it took to do what he did. I was really heartened ... talking about how Albertans have more in common than more differences."

Angry rhetoric has been an escalating staple of discourse between Notley's NDP and the Opposition.

Both sides maintain that the other side will inflict lasting harm on Albertans — the NDP with debilitating debt costs and short-sighted economic policies and the conservatives by slashing and burning a fragile economy to reward friends and cronies with perks and tax cuts.

— By Dean Bennett in Edmonton

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2017/10/04/calgary-mla-karen-mcpherson-leaves-ndp-caucus-to-sit-as-independent/#.WdWL7Un2Zjp
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calgary MLA Karen McPherson quits NDP caucus to sit as Independent

James Wood, Calgary Herald James Wood, Calgary Herald
More from James Wood, Calgary Herald

Published on: October 4, 2017 | Last Updated: October 4, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

Backbencher Karen McPherson says the province's politics are becoming too polarized. Postmedia Archives

The Alberta politics merry-go-round continued to spin Wednesday as a Calgary MLA announced she would leave the NDP government caucus to sit as an Independent.

Karen McPherson, elected in 2015 under the NDP banner in Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill, said she’s concerned that provincial politics have become too polarized between left and right, and “we are missing the middle.”

“Albertans need political choices that inspire them, not scare them,” she said on Facebook.

In an interview, McPherson said she has great regard for her former NDP colleagues but acknowledged she felt the government was not taking the steps needed to transform the health and education systems for the 21st century.

She said she had raised her concerns in the past but Premier Rachel Notley’s government is focused on fulfilling what it sees as its electoral mandate.

“It wasn’t an issue of personality. It is really me believing I can be a bigger voice for the people of Calgary-Mckay-Nose Hill as an Independent.”

McPherson said she will consult with her constituents about her future path. She said it’s way too early to contemplate moving to another party — both the Liberals and Alberta Party hold a single seat in the legislature — but laughed at the notion of joining the right-wing United Conservative Party, newly formed by the merger of the Wildrose and Progressive Conservatives.

Her concerns about polarization echoed those of Calgary-South East MLA Rick Fraser, a former PC who announced in September he was leaving the UCP to sit as an Independent. McPherson said she was inspired in part by Fraser’s move and had reached out to him last month to show her support.

“I knew that what he did took a great deal of gumption,” she said.

Fraser was the second Tory MLA to remove himself from the UCP since its creation this summer, with Vermilion-Lloydminster’s Richard Starke choosing to continue on under the PC brand.

While the Alberta Party and Liberals remain at odds with each other, the shifts of the various MLAs has fuelled talk about centrists coalescing around a single party.

Both Alberta Party Leader Greg Clark and Liberal Leader David Khan said they had no inkling of McPherson’s departure from the NDP but hoped to talk to the MLA about her plans.

“I do think there is a realignment happening,” said Clark, the MLA for Calgary-Elbow.

“Exactly how it all comes together, how quickly and what form, all that is still up in the air.”

Khan said politics in Alberta “is a bit crazy right now.”

“On the right, I think they’re becoming quite radicalized . . . and with the left there is some deep concerns with the competency of the NDP and their commitment to southern Alberta,” said the Calgary lawyer.

McPherson’s departure drew a muted response from the NDP government, with the offices of both Notley and house leader Brian Mason declining to comment.

A spokesperson for the premier pointed to comments by Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley, who was asked about McPherson’s move at a Calgary news conference.

“That’s a decision she made of her own volition,” said Ganley. “I can’t speak to what her motivations were.”

“I know that we have a fantastic caucus that will continue to work hard for Albertans.”

Strathmore-Brooks MLA Derek Fildebrandt is also sitting as an Independent after resigning from the United Conservative caucus in August after questions arose over his expenses and it was revealed he rented out his taxpayer-subsidized apartment. However, he has expressed his desire to rejoin the UCP.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/.....ndependent
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calgary MLA parts ways with NDP, elects to sit as independent

MLA Karen McPherson
Karen McPherson, MLA for Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill, has quit the NDP and will sit as an independent (file photo)

Ryan White , Reporter/Producer

@CTVRyanWhite
Published Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:50PM MDT

Karen McPherson, the MLA for Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill, has quit the NDP caucus and will sit as an independent MLA.

McPherson announced her decision on Wednesday on her social media accounts. In her statement, McPherson hinted at the role party lines, and the extreme views of the right and the left, play in preventing progress.

“Alberta, in fact the world, is changing quickly and I believe our political processes need to reflect these shifts. Continuing to do politics the way it’s being done will lead to further polarization. We are missing the middle where we have more in common with each other than we are different. Albertans need political choices that inspire them, not scare them.”

Related Links

Karen McPherson - Sitting as an independent

McPherson says she will spend time with residents of Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill to discuss the direction of the electoral district and the province.

“I’ll be taking time to talk with my constituents about the way forward; I have the utmost respect and concern for them and I want to hear their views on the best way forward.”

McPherson was elected as the MLA for Calgary-Mackay-Nose Hill in May 2015 over PC incumbent Neil Brown.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calg.....-1.3619344

Jump to: