Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: liberal mpp's Matthews and Sandals won't seek re election Reply with quote

( nothing but bad news for wynne , 2 high profile female mpp's aren't going to run again )

Liberal MPPs Matthews, Sandals won’t seek re-election

The Canadian Press

First posted: Friday, October 06, 2017 01:48 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, October 06, 2017 02:42 PM EDT

TORONTO - Two Ontario cabinet ministers announced Friday they won’t seek re-election next year, adding to a growing tally of prominent Liberals bowing out at a time when the party struggles in the polls.

Both deputy premier Deb Matthews and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals, however, insisted that is not the reason for their upcoming departures.

Matthews will remain as the Liberals’ campaign co-chair through the election, saying she has enormous respect for Premier Kathleen Wynne.

“I am confident that, on June 7, 2018, the people of Ontario will give her and her team the mandate to continue to serve,” Matthews wrote in a statement Friday.

Various polls would suggest a different outcome, however, with most putting the Liberals behind the Progressive Conservatives, and one survey even placing them third, behind the NDP.

Sandals, 70, stressed that her 30 years of service and her age were behind her decision to retire.

“This was a challenging decision to make because while I’m ready to be a full-time grandmother, I’ve never had more faith in Premier Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberal Party,” she wrote in a statement.

University of Ottawa political science professor Genevieve Tellier said that while it’s normal to have some politicians decide they won’t run again, too many can give the impression of fleeing a sinking ship.

“They may have valid reasons to leave...but of course we cannot forget that the Liberals are unpopular now, so as a perception it could be interpreted that way,” she said. “Probably the opposition parties will try to mention that.”

Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid announced last month that he would not run in next year’s provincial election.

Former environment minister Glen Murray recently left government for the private sector, and Speaker Dave Levac, the Liberal representative for Brant, and Monte Kwinter, Ontario’s oldest MPP, have also announced they won’t seek re-election.

Matthews, who was elected in 2003, will stay as the representative for London North Centre and as advanced education minister until the election. But her announcement serves as an undeniable blow to Wynne, to whom Matthews has been a fiercely loyal deputy premier since Wynne took on her leadership role.

“She shares my vision of a fairer, more progressive, more inclusive Ontario and she knows what it will take to make that happen,” Wynne wrote in a statement. “Because of that, I have relied on Deb as a touchstone time and time again. She is smart and analytical, always thinking things through by focusing on the people who will be most affected.”

Matthews, who was often charged with leading the party’s partisan attack efforts, has also served in cabinet as minister of health, children and youth services, and president of the treasury board. Most recently, as advanced education minister, she championed the government’s plan to give free tuition to low-income students. She frequently came under fire in her time in government for failing to prevent serious problems at the Ornge air ambulance service as health minister.

Sandals, who first got into politics through her local school board and was elected to the legislature in 2003, will stay as the representative for Guelph, Ont., and in cabinet until the election, too.

Wynne said she has often relied on Sandals’ instincts and candour.

“I will miss Liz’s steady hand, wise counsel and friendship,” Wynne wrote in her statement. “Her years of experience and strong set of values have always been a guiding light for me and our whole team.”

Sandals previously served as education minister and ushered in a new sex-ed curriculum that sparked controversy among some parents due to discussions of same-sex marriage, masturbation and gender identities. She stood firm, where a previous attempt under former premier Dalton McGuinty to update the curriculum failed.

Sandals also brought in labour peace with teachers, though the effort was not without controversy.

While under fire for millions of extra dollars the government gave teachers’ unions while negotiating contracts under a new bargaining framework in 2015, Sandals said she didn’t ask them for any receipts or invoices before doling out the money.

“We know how long we’ve been at the hotel. We know what hotel rooms cost. We know what the meeting rooms cost. We know what the food costs. We know what 100 pizzas costs,” she quipped.

Sandals apologized for another off-the-cuff remark earlier this year, when asked how she thought large executive raises in the broader public sector, including at Ontario Power Generation and transit agency Metrolinx, look to people sitting on a delayed GO train.

“When you really stop and think of it, most of the people sitting on the GO train probably don’t have high-level nuclear qualifications or the business qualifications to run a multi-billion-dollar corporation,” she said.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017.....e-election
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario Treasury Board President and Guelph MPP Liz Sandals not seeking re-election

Sandals will continue as MPP for Guelph and in cabinet 'at the premier's pleasure'

CBC News Posted: Oct 06, 2017 1:42 PM ET| Last Updated: Oct 06, 2017 2:37 PM ET

Guelph MPP Liz Sandals announced Friday she is retiring and will not seek reelection next June.

Guelph MPP and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals has announced she will not run in the 2018 provincial election.

Sandals made the announcement Friday in a statement sent to the media. She said she has served in elected office for 30 years and is now 70 years old and it's time to retire.
■Deputy premier Deb Matthews leaving politics

"After a summer of discussion with my husband and children, I have made the difficult decision to retire – and so I will not be running in the next provincial election," Sandals wrote.

"I will continue to serve as the MPP for the riding of Guelph until the end of the term, and at the premier's pleasure, I would be honoured to continue to serve in her cabinet."

Premier Kathleen Wynne issued a statement Friday calling Sandals "one of the most competent, caring people I've ever worked with."

"I will miss Liz's steady hand, wise counsel and friendship. Her years of experience and strong set of values have always been a guiding light for me and our whole team," Wynne wrote, adding the government will rely on Sandals's wisdom and leadership over the coming months.

"Concluding a career of public service is never an easy decision, but after 30 years in elected office, Liz Sandals can retire next year knowing that she has made a positive difference in her community and in people's lives all across our province."

Liberals losing incumbents

The announcement comes the day before a long weekend and the same day deputy premier Deb Matthews, the Liberal MPP for London North Centre, said she is also leaving politics.

"The time has come for me to step aside," Matthews wrote in a statement to the media. "Ontario is a better place today than it was in 2003. I am proud to have been part of that change."

A number of high-ranking Liberals have chosen not to run again in 2018. In September, Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid said he would not seek re-electionn while Speaker Dave Levac, who is the Liberal representative for Brant, and Monte Kwinter, Ontario's oldest MPP, have also announced they will not run.

Ont Election Liberal 20140514
Guelph MPP Liz Sandals, left, with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne in 2014 when Sandals served as education minister. (The Canadian Press/Chris Young)

Faith in Wynne

Sandals was first elected MPP of Guelph in October 2003. She served in cabinet as the minister of education in 2013 and 2014 and most recently as President of the Treasury Board. She has also served as a parliamentary assistant on a number of ministerial portfolios.
■Conservatives launch early attack ads on Kathleen Wynne: Fisher

In her statement, she thanked both Premier Kathleen Wynne and former premier Dalton McGuinty, her caucus colleagues, her family and her constituents and volunteers in Guelph.

"It has been an absolute privilege to represent you for the last 14 years, and I'm so proud to have fought for our community for so many years," she wrote.

Sandals called the decision to not run "challenging."

"While I'm ready to be a full-time grandmother, I've never had more faith in Premier Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberal Party," she wrote. "I believe that the Ontario Liberals will win the next election because Premier Wynne offers bold, progressive leadership."

Wynne was in Kitchener on Friday to tap the keg for the start of Oktoberfest.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4344012
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Ontario cabinet ministers announce they won't seek re-election

Deputy premier Deb Matthews and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals will not run in 2018

CBC News Posted: Oct 06, 2017 1:40 PM ET| Last Updated: Oct 06, 2017 4:42 PM ET

Deb Matthews, left, and Liz Sandals both announced Friday they will not run in Ontario's 2018 election.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne will go into the 2018 election campaign without her deputy premier and another long-serving cabinet minister, after both announced Friday they will not seek re-election.

Deputy premier Deb Matthews and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals issued statements within minutes of each other that they would not run again.
■Guelph MPP Liz Sandals not seeking re-election

Matthews entered politics 15 years ago, winning three consecutive terms, and has held the portfolios of minister of children and youth services, minister of health and minister of advanced education and skills development.

"Ontario is a better place today than it was in 2003. I am proud to have been part of that change," Matthews wrote in a statement to the media.

Matthews said she will stay on as co-chair of the upcoming election campaign.

deb matthews
Deputy premier Deb Matthews says she will serve as co-chair of the upcoming election campaign.

Sandals has been in politics for 30 years, 15 with the Liberal Party, acting as minister of education during difficult labour negotiations with the province's teachers.

Sandals said Friday she plans to retire.

Premier thanks MPPs for service

Wynne thanked Matthews and Sandals for their service and friendship, calling them both caring and compassionate people.

"Very quickly after we met, Deb and I became close friends," Wynne said in a statement.

"She has always, always supported me, which is why I completely understand, appreciate and support her decision to retire as an MPP at this time," Wynne said.

Premier Kathleen Wynne
Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne thanked Matthews and Sandals for their service and friendship. (Geoff Robins/Canadian Press)

The premier said she intends to rely on Sandals' wisdom and leadership over the coming months as the election campaign kicks into high gear.

"I will miss Liz's steady hand, wise counsel and friendship. Her years of experience and strong set of values have always been a guiding light for me and our whole team," Wynne wrote in her statement.

Loss of Liberal veterans

Political observers were quick to comment on the significance of losing two high-ranking Liberals so close to an election.

"You are going to have fatigue on the front bench," said Lydia Miljan, a political science professor at the University of Windsor. She said it will be a challenge for the Wynne Liberals to sell the idea of "stability" to voters.

"[This] is a serious change in how the government will move forward and how they're going to put a face on expertise and knowledge."

Miljan also believes that Wynne will be losing a piece of the party's identity that was built around strong women at the helm.

A number of other high-ranking Liberals have chosen not to run again in 2018.

In September, Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid said he would not seek re-election, while Speaker Dave Levac, the Liberal representative for Brant, as well as Monte Kwinter, Ontario's oldest member of the legislature, also announced they will not run.

Matthews said she will "explore opportunities" for her life after provincial politics.

"As I prepare to leave elected life, I have one message," Matthews said. "Politics matter. Politicians matter. It matters who gets elected."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4344004
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz Sandals won't seek re-election in 2018

Allison Jones, The Canadian Press
Published Friday, October 6, 2017 1:54PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 6, 2017 7:04PM EDT

Two Ontario cabinet ministers announced Friday they won't seek re-election next year, adding to a growing tally of prominent Liberals bowing out at a time when the party struggles in the polls.

Both deputy premier Deb Matthews and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals, however, insisted that is not the reason for their upcoming departures.

Matthews will remain as the Liberals' campaign co-chair through the election, saying she has enormous respect for Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Liz Sandals
Ontario Education Minister Liz Sandals speaks at a press conference in Toronto on Monday, May 25, 2015. (Frank Gunn / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Deb Matthews
Ontario Health Minister Deb Matthews speaks at a news conference in Toronto on Monday, December 10, 2012. (Frank Gunn / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

"I am confident that, on June 7, 2018, the people of Ontario will give her and her team the mandate to continue to serve," Matthews wrote in a statement Friday.

Various polls would suggest a different outcome, however, with most putting the Liberals behind the Progressive Conservatives, and one survey even placing them third, behind the NDP.

Sandals, 70, stressed that her 30 years of service and her age were behind her decision to retire.

"This was a challenging decision to make because while I'm ready to be a full-time grandmother, I've never had more faith in Premier Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberal Party," she wrote in a statement.

University of Ottawa political science professor Genevieve Tellier said that while it's normal to have some politicians decide they won't run again, too many can give the impression of fleeing a sinking ship.

"They may have valid reasons to leave...but of course we cannot forget that the Liberals are unpopular now, so as a perception it could be interpreted that way," she said. "Probably the opposition parties will try to mention that."

Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid announced last month that he would not run in next year's provincial election.

Former environment minister Glen Murray recently left government for the private sector, and Speaker Dave Levac, the Liberal representative for Brant, and Monte Kwinter, Ontario's oldest MPP, have also announced they won't seek re-election.

Matthews, who was elected in 2003, will stay as the representative for London North Centre and as advanced education minister until the election. But her announcement serves as an undeniable blow to Wynne, to whom Matthews has been a fiercely loyal deputy premier since Wynne took on her leadership role.

"She shares my vision of a fairer, more progressive, more inclusive Ontario and she knows what it will take to make that happen," Wynne wrote in a statement. "Because of that, I have relied on Deb as a touchstone time and time again. She is smart and analytical, always thinking things through by focusing on the people who will be most affected."

Matthews, who was often charged with leading the party's partisan attack efforts, has also served in cabinet as minister of health, children and youth services, and president of the treasury board. Most recently, as advanced education minister, she championed the government's plan to give free tuition to low-income students. She frequently came under fire in her time in government for failing to prevent serious problems at the Ornge air ambulance service as health minister.

Sandals, who first got into politics through her local school board and was elected to the legislature in 2003, will stay as the representative for Guelph, Ont., and in cabinet until the election, too.

Wynne said she has often relied on Sandals' instincts and candour.

"I will miss Liz's steady hand, wise counsel and friendship," Wynne wrote in her statement. "Her years of experience and strong set of values have always been a guiding light for me and our whole team."

Sandals previously served as education minister and ushered in a new sex-ed curriculum that sparked controversy among some parents due to discussions of same-sex marriage, masturbation and gender identities. She stood firm, where a previous attempt under former premier Dalton McGuinty to update the curriculum failed.

Sandals also brought in labour peace with teachers, though the effort was not without controversy.

While under fire for millions of extra dollars the government gave teachers' unions while negotiating contracts under a new bargaining framework in 2015, Sandals said she didn't ask them for any receipts or invoices before doling out the money.

"We know how long we've been at the hotel. We know what hotel rooms cost. We know what the meeting rooms cost. We know what the food costs. We know what 100 pizzas costs," she quipped.

Sandals apologized for another off-the-cuff remark earlier this year, when asked how she thought large executive raises in the broader public sector, including at Ontario Power Generation and transit agency Metrolinx, look to people sitting on a delayed GO train.

"When you really stop and think of it, most of the people sitting on the GO train probably don't have high-level nuclear qualifications or the business qualifications to run a multi-billion-dollar corporation," she said.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/gu.....-1.3622604
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guelph MPP Liz Sandals not running for re-election in 2018

News Oct 06, 2017 by Jessica Lovell  Guelph Mercury|

Liz Sandals

Guelph MPP Liz Sandals, seen here in her local contituency office, has announced her plans to retire next year. - Tribune photo by Jessica Lovell

Guelph MPP Liz Sandals is saying goodbye to her political life.

Sandals officially announced she would not be running for reelection in 2018 on Friday, making it clear that she is not resigning, and will continue to serve local constituents in the coming months, as she has since being elected in Guelph in 2003.

“I’m retiring. I’m not resigning,” Sandals told a small group gathered at her Guelph constituency office for the announcement on Friday afternoon. “I will continue to serve as the MPP until election day in June 2018.”

Sandals cited her age and her long years of public service at the top of her reasons for her decision.

In 2018, she will have served a total of 30 years in elected office — having first been elected as a school board trustee in 1988 — and she will have celebrated her 70th birthday.

“If you are 70 years old, and you have been an elected official for 30 years, it’s time to retire,” she said.

Sandals dabbed away tears as she made her announcement, but regained her composure as she emphasized that she is “truly retiring,” not backing out of a race whose odds might be stacked against her.

“I am not avoiding the next election,” she said.

Quite the contrary, Sandals said she likes the Liberal party’s chances in 2018.

“I am actually really, really confident that we will win the next election,” she said.

https://www.guelphmercury.com/news-story/7600912-guelph-mpp-liz-sandals-not-running-for-re-election-in-2018/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

without incumbents and when considering the liberals weak poll numbers in southwestern Ontario , I don't think either seats will be easy to hold onto and could be headed for other parties but the question is who ?

are urban seats like London North Centre and Guelph more likely to go NDP or pc if the liberal vote drops ? before the 2014 election the ndp managed some pick ups in urban ridings in this area , some seats they had never held before . but both these seats had actually been pc in 95 and 99 elections
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

October 10, 2017 1:25 pm Updated: October 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Kathleen Wynne downplays effect of senior Liberals not seeking re-election

By Staff The Canadian Press

BURLINGTON, Ont. – The departure of two key Liberal cabinet ministers won’t impact the party’s chances in the 2018 election, Ontario’s premier said Tuesday, downplaying the exit of two of her closest personal advisers in politics.

Kathleen Wynne was reacting to recent announcements that deputy premier Deb Matthews and Treasury Board President Liz Sandals will not seek re-election. Wynne thanked both women for their commitment to public service, adding that people sacrifice a lot to enter politics.

The premier said she hasn’t given her cabinet a deadline to decide whether to stay or go in advance of the spring vote, and noted that the Liberals will have a number of strong candidates running next year.

READ MORE: Guelph MPP Liz Sandals will not seek re-election

“I have a strong team,” she said. “We have wonderful candidates around the province who are signing on, who are going to put their names on signs and we’re very, very grateful for that.”

Sandals’ and Matthews’ decisions were the latest in a series of prominent Liberals opting not to run next year.

Last month, Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid announced he won’t be seeking re-election. Former environment minister Glen Murray recently left government for the private sector, and Speaker Dave Levac, the Liberal representative for Brant, and Monte Kwinter, Ontario’s oldest MPP, have also announced they won’t seek re-election.

Meanwhile, various polls have put the Liberals behind the Progressive Conservatives and one survey even placed them third behind the NDP. Wynne, however, dismissed the party’s standing in the polls, saying it’s her job to focus on improving life in the province.

“The pollsters and the pundits will do their job and come the election next year the people of Ontario will make a choice based on the work that we’ve done,” she said.

“My job is not to analyze the polls. My job is to make sure that we work to provide opportunities and fairness to everyone across the province.”

Wynne described both Matthews and Sandals as “friends, colleagues and advisers,” but said both are women are also grandmothers and are eager to spend more time with their families.

“I completely, completely understand why Liz and Deb, who have been such, such solid giving people in their communities and in Ontario, that they would need to make a different decision at this point.”

READ MORE: Ontario cabinet minister Brad Duguid not seeking re-election next year

Matthews, who was elected in 2003, will stay as the representative for London North Centre and as advanced education minister until the election. She will also remain the Liberas’ campaign co-chair through the election. But her announcement serves as an undeniable blow to Wynne, for whom Matthews has been a fiercely loyal deputy premier.

Sandals, 70, has stressed that her 30 years of service and her age were behind her decision to retire.

Wynne said Ontarians owe all who serve, regardless of party stripe, the chance to make such decisions with their families in mind.

“People give their time, they do an enormous amount, and then we need to, without rancour or criticism, let them make a decision that’s good for their families and good for themselves,” Wynne said. “I think that we owe that to public servants like Deb and Liz who have made a contribution.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/3794673/kathleen-wynne-liberals-election/

Jump to: