Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds


CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect



Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Cyberspace Pseudonyms compared to Real Names Reply with quote

<< link removed >>

Those who hide behind masques or fancy themselves as true and real conservatives might find themselves starring into an Obsidian mirror which exposes their real self.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cyberspace Pseudonyms compared to Real Names Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
<< link removed >>

Those who hide behind masques or fancy themselves as true and real conservatives might find themselves starring into an Obsidian mirror which exposes their real self.


In the blog , someone signed it " Edmund Onward Sagebrush Titanium James"

I wonder if that name is on a birth certificate?

Also, 'masques' means music singing dancing and acting. I truly doubt those of us who have 'masks' (monikers) are doing all that.

Anyhow, people use a moniker for may reasons, some of those so they can hide behind, but generally because no one wants personal info stored on websites that others can use to defame, attack, or cause problems for.

I have posted comments that would not endear me to my profession should I be found out. I need, like and want my job and will not jeopardize that by having my true name spelled out.

Curious, does a piece of volcanic glass distort or otherwise amend thinsg moreso than a normal made mirror ?
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James is legal. Sagebrush and Titanium are nicknames. Real names given to me by real people, which I could make officually legal. One of my friends Charles Jones goes by the name Spider Jones. Acceptable. As long as the name is not used illegally.

As I stated some people have to protect their identity. But it seems that some would not write the things they do because of work, employees and bosses. They could get fired. Some might be sued. Yet they feel free to be false and phony with a cyberspace moniker.

A few people that were regulars on this forum actually changed their fictious names to their real ones, when I mentioned long ago, but now they either have weblogs, or were fed up with many of the phonies on this forum.

I am fortunate being self-employed, independent, and do not hide behind anything.

And once more you think you know but do not. Such as the word masque. Yes it was a term used for masks in masquerades, where people may have danced or partied. Actors since the ancient Greek theatres used masques. Which means mask.

Perhaps the link might help or you could look it up in the Oxford Dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masque

Try harder, think, check things out before you question my honesty, intelligence and patience. You notice I didn't use your masque of a name in the weblog piece. You are not important enough.

But I give you credit, you keep trying to challenge me.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Edmund Onward James is legal. Sagebrush and Titanium are nicknames. Real names given to me by real people, which I could make officually legal.

Ok, I suspected as much. The answer is no, its a moniker given by a friend. It is fine by me you have one or more, I dont understand why it isnt cool with you others have one?
Quote:

As I stated some people have to protect their identity. But it seems that some would not write the things they do because of work, employees and bosses. They could get fired. Some might be sued. Yet they feel free to be false and phony with a cyberspace moniker.

Welcome to the internet and forum discussions. You will always have false and phonies around.
Doesnt take long to figure them out though. It is quite easy I would think.


Quote:
And once more you think you know but do not. Such as the word masque. Yes it was a term used for masks in masquerades, where people may have danced or partied. Actors since the ancient Greek theatres used masques. Which means mask.

Perhaps the link might help or you could look it up in the Oxford Dictionary:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masque

I already looked it up earlier. I was curious of your use so needed to find out for myself.

I am afraid you shot yourself in the foot on this one. Your link backs me up, and negates your version.
I shall quote from your link...'a short allegorical dramatic entertainment of the 16th and 17th centuries performed by masked actors '

You are aware that 'performed by masked dancers' and not masqued dancers is one clue, and to perform a masque one wears a mask.(or can )
Quote:

Try harder, think, check things out before you question my honesty, intelligence and patience. You notice I didn't use your masque of a name in the weblog piece. You are not important enough.

But I give you credit, you keep trying to challenge me.

Important enough for you to reply , so I would guess important enough.

Wonderful advice my good man.

Only problem is......should have thought, checked before posting.

And please, can we have no more of your drama, ie "honesty, Intelligence,patience'?

I did not call you a liar, didnt say anything about patience. So, it wouold be nice if we could just post thoughts and ideas instead of snarky one offs.

Is daily life a confrontation for you? You seem so upset all the time.
don muntean





Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Posts: 2262
Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9
votes: 8
Location: Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my name IS "don muntean" and I have always posted with that name - my name! I agree with Edmund - most people posting in cyberspace haven't the fortitude to post openly. If one is proper about posting - it doesn't have to be embarrassing to use a real name...
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
Well my name IS "don muntean" and I have always posted with that name - my name! I agree with Edmund - most people posting in cyberspace haven't the fortitude to post openly. If one is proper about posting - it doesn't have to be embarrassing to use a real name...


Bravo Don! You shall go places, because you are an honest and insightful fellow. Many forums are filled by trolls, and phonies.

Of course, they need to write somewhere, because few listen to them or even bother reading their false or limited comments, such as Toronto Centre above, and you know the rest. Like kinds find each other.

Continue the awarness & truth...
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
Well my name IS "don muntean" and I have always posted with that name - my name! I agree with Edmund - most people posting in cyberspace haven't the fortitude to post openly. If one is proper about posting - it doesn't have to be embarrassing to use a real name...


As can be seen looking at all the hundreds and thousands of forums, one using their real name is in such a small percentile to be practically zero.

So then most people , rather almost everyone who posts anywhere, has zero fortitude.

Ok dokes.

I cannot say you are wrong, but I can say almost universally no one agrees with you two.
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don...

Other than this and one other forum I have returned to more reading and research for my third novel attempt, and my weblog. Most forums with cyberspace-geeks or those who obfuscate are a waste of time compared to so many websites of people who actually utilize their real names.

Yesterday, I recieved three replies from journalists, even one who doesn't agree with me nor I with him on Prime Minister Harper. Sometimes they come from the UK, America, Austalia, and so forth, but not China.

Generally, those who hide behind a masque of pseudonyms are often negative about something. In this forum Prime Minister Harper and his administration. Not all, but by now, you know who I mean.

And I am quite pleased that many of that crowd do not attempt to repartee with me on threads. One or two have tried. To no avail other than exposing their limited intelligence and talent. TC should be forgiven because he doesn't have as much grey matter as you; he doesn't even know the meaning of the word of masque and why it's spelled that way.

Check this thread and you will notice over 200 readers.

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/f.....8859#98859

A few ranters think I am concerned that they do not communicate, as if I cared what they think. However, there are several forum members who I enjoy exchanging comments with. Some actually post threads that one can learn soemthing from or are entertaining.

My weblog, at the last count, an actual map of hits and servers around the world indicates that I have quite a few readers in over twelve countries, maybe more.

Many have tried to post something on the comment section... Please... only the select few get through, such as you. The odd time, I let a counter-comment from a critical thinker.

Now I ask you, Don, what has happened to this forum, is it making a comeback after some have gone onto Blue Canada or FreeDominion or have they started their own blogs or forums and found out that it's time consuming to come up with interesting and engaging topics? Perhaps, just few cared about their views?
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Don...

Other than this and one other forum I have returned to more reading and research for my third novel attempt, and my weblog. Most forums with cyberspace-geeks or those who obfuscate are a waste of time compared to so many websites of people who actually utilize their real names.

LOL ! Comedy gold there EOJ. There are virtually zero, nada , none web forums where people use their real names.

But you can believe it if you like . LOL
Quote:

Yesterday, I recieved three replies from journalists, even one who doesn't agree with me nor I with him on Prime Minister Harper. Sometimes they come from the UK, America, Austalia, and so forth, but not China.

You sure it wasnt 20 , and some of them were Presidents and Kings?
Quote:

Generally, those who hide behind a masque of pseudonyms ....

Somebody is singing and dancing with pseudonyms??

I bet you have a good editor. You better because you stupidly use this word, not once not twice but three times incorrectly. Yikes, and youre a writer LOL.
Quote:
TC should be forgiven because he doesn't have as much grey matter as you; he doesn't even know the meaning of the word of masque and why it's spelled that way.

Wow , now you border on stupid! Congrats
Quote:

Check this thread and you will notice over 200 readers.


Geez....thats 200 views sagebrush. As in , one person went in 200 times, or 20 people went in 10 times. You and I account for at least 20 of them. Yikes!
Quote:

My weblog, at the last count, an actual map of hits and servers around the world indicates that I have quite a few readers in over twelve countries, maybe more.


I would think one such superlative writer and all knower such as you would know how many countries one has readers in.

But I have caught on to your style of writing.

You will state with emphasis something....then add, 'maybe' at the end.

I am read by journalists the world over. Maybe

I am read by politicians all the time. Maybe.

I am read in 12 countiries. Maybe.


Maybe is the operative word. As in .....Maybe nobody reads me.

Oh well, I am sure you will mkae me laugh soon enough. I thank you for that. Have a wonderful night.
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don...

A fool will not identify who he is but demands that I count for him. An example of an obtuse forum member. However the limited one is an example of waht you and I have been commenting about.

Even Facebook one has to post a name and picture, I tbink that is a requirement, nbut I;m not sure about photo.

As far as countries... for you Don...

America
United Kingdom
Russia
China
Taiwan
Norway
Gemany
France
Sweden
Spain
Ukraine
Italy

Canada is a give-me.

Perhaps there are a few more that I have forgotten for now. But the map on Feedburner indicates just so many at a time. Not everybody reads everything, or something, at the same time.

But there are people who hide in their hermetically-sealed, masqued lives that want more information and proof that my works are read by so many. Of course, the feeble-minded one would like a count.

His buddy in Blue Canada, who, I think once wrote on Blogging Tories tried to make fun of my novels and ability. He couldn't find my name anywhere to see if they were published. There are pseudonyms. But I use my name.

Many times I have mentioned the historical fiction novels haven't been publishjed as yet. Panmacmillan of UK expressed some interest with one of them, but their list was full and who knows.

A head of a history and literature department at a school wants to be involved in a website and eBook for "Barbarians" A Mongol love and war story (circa 1218 C.E.).

Nonetheless, I can write and compel readers to continue with the story, artcilce, weblog piece or postings on forums.

But, Don, you can't please everybody, especially the unhinged who cannot write as well or make sense.
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Don...

A fool will not identify who he is but demands that I count for him. An example of an obtuse forum member. However the limited one is an example of waht you and I have been commenting about.


I am guessing English is your second language? I never asked you count anything for me.

What I said was, and I will quote for you
Quote:
I would think one such superlative writer and all knower such as you would know how many countries one has readers in


Anyhow, judging by the results of the posts, seems most people do not agree with you.

Have a great night!
Edmund Onward James





Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 1317
Reputation: 55
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and I posted our comments and the other people are you, one person.

The others are much wiser. They read, and probably think is is there any reason to hide behind a pseudonym, or am I following cyberspace-geeks? But they started with avatars and monilkers, when it was cool the rage. Some have responsible reasons, but try to respond maturally.

Those who try to riposte are generally prepared; they are not as discordant as you. Not as whimsical, too. A few are humorous.
don muntean





Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Posts: 2262
Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9
votes: 8
Location: Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Don and I posted our comments and the other people are you, one person.

The others are much wiser. They read, and probably think is is there any reason to hide behind a pseudonym, or am I following cyberspace-geeks? But they started with avatars and monilkers, when it was cool the rage. Some have responsible reasons, but try to respond maturally.

Those who try to riposte are generally prepared; they are not as discordant as you. Not as whimsical, too. A few are humorous.


Posters in the genre of TC might want to consider the simple logic of this old adage:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

In all actuality, we should avoid discussions with those seeking 'vain pseudo-empirical wranglings' - whose postings can tend to be more subjective opinion material - and less objective observation - they generally post false or otherwise skewed observations and such discourses end up - a waste of time - since they consistently digress into circular discussions.

The whole thing reminds me of this analogy...the story is that a frog in a three-foot well wanted to calculate the length and breadth of the Atlantic Ocean - on the basis of his knowledge - of his own well. But it was an impossible task for Dr. Frog.

That 'is' the case with vast numbers of people 'participating' in cyber-land...People can post the words but...they cannot really delve into issues - the abstract underpinnings within these pubic discussions?

Originally, this topic advanced the notion that some participants purposely create pseudonyms so as to hide behind a 'masquerade' of sorts - creating some alter-cyber identity from behind which they gleefully poke at others.

Usually, it's been my experience that these types of participants focus on and find fault with form over substance!

Example: "Is daily life a confrontation for you? You seem so upset all the time."

Myself, I too have been thus targeted time and again! LOL! I know that I'm a high school dropout [fighting an unparalleled human rights abuse case] and I know that I don't command the same 'real world' prestige that perhaps someone like "TC" does - but...since we don't know who TC actually is...

I laugh when people get into some kind of word game thinking 'verbosity' in criticism can somehow engender legitimacy with counter-points. It's amusing to see some people essentially end up sounding like Ricky - on Trailer Park Boys.

Then of course, there is that 'standard' self-motivated rationalization:

TC writes:

"I have posted comments that would not endear me to my profession should I be found out. I need, like and want my job and will not jeopardize that by having my true name spelled out."

This is case in point to our earlier observations...isn't it too predictable to encounter such self-motivated rationalizations! What nature of conflict could there be that would "jeopardize" TC's employment?

TC lives in Canada - why would TC lose employment over [legitimate?] comments made online? What exactly is TC employed at?

Sounds like TC has concern that their online discussion activities cannot be legitimized by - whose standards?

TC writes "no one wants personal info stored on websites that others can use to defame, attack, or cause problems for"

Again I think that is a rather thin excuse motivated by a desire to not take responsibility for one's posting activities, it's become too easy to simply 'hide' and post from within the shadows - where one feels much less inhibition - to censor one's postings - with standards beyond those manufactured excuses!

TC writes: "...Geez....thats 200 views sagebrush...."

I have to say that if we're looking at readership/views on 'this' website - my threads seem to trump all others!

Freedom of Information: 55417 views [top thread!]

Iranian president "Israel will soon disappear": 41121 views [second top thread]

Obama: Israel vs. The World...W/caricature: 2041 views

old photo restorations: 8217 views

Perhaps we're seeing a trend here - most people read and do not post - by contrast - I've posted a modest 2066 postings on this website...since September 2006! So if this were a viewers/readers contest - I think I win?!! [chuckles!]

Funny thing is...I'm the high school dropout with a grade 8 education - labeled a "dummy" by so-called well-educated 'bureaucrats'...! LOL!


Last edited by don muntean on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:07 am; edited 6 times in total
don muntean





Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Posts: 2262
Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9Reputation: 34.9
votes: 8
Location: Saskatchewan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
don muntean wrote:
Well my name IS "don muntean" and I have always posted with that name - my name! I agree with Edmund - most people posting in cyberspace haven't the fortitude to post openly. If one is proper about posting - it doesn't have to be embarrassing to use a real name...


Bravo Don! You shall go places, because you are an honest and insightful fellow. Many forums are filled by trolls, and phonies.

Of course, they need to write somewhere, because few listen to them or even bother reading their false or limited comments, such as Toronto Centre above, and you know the rest. Like kinds find each other.

Continue the awarness & truth...


LOL! Hey thanks! I can only go up from when I currently stand! :-) At least I think that [through my long-standing participation in online discussions] I have been able to negate the false profiles which have been created around me - in my fight for human rights at the hands of Saskatchewan's scourge - the now trounced micromanaging NDP...the duplicitous masters of double speak...
Toronto Centre





Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Posts: 632
Reputation: 93.5Reputation: 93.5
votes: 3
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="don muntean] Posters in the genre of TC might want to consider the simple logic of this old adage:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
[/quote]
Ok, I would welcome to be shown where that would apply.
Quote:

In all actuality, we should avoid discussions with those seeking 'vain pseudo-empirical wranglings' - whose postings can tend to be more subjective opinion material - and less objective observation - they generally post false or otherwise skewed observations and such discourses end up - a waste of time - since they consistently digress into circular discussions.

Is that directed to me or the other guy?

Quote:

Originally, this topic advanced the notion that some participants purposely create pseudonyms so as to hide behind a 'masquerade' of sorts - creating some alter-cyber identity from behind which they gleefully poke at others.

Usually, it's been my experience that these types of participants focus on and find fault with form over substance!

Example: "Is daily life a confrontation for you? You seem so upset all the time."

I understand the reason for the topic, but the OP should have had the sense to look around and come to the realization that almost no one, on any forum, posts under a real name. And in fact most people would assume ones name is fake too!

Poking fun at others is cool , as long as it remains friendly, but sadly not everyone got that memo.

The reason I wrote the'confrontation' thing was due to the fact that constant swipes were being attempted by a poster, and a reply in taste would be ignored and written off as hogwash, or worse. So, I asked the question.
Quote:
Then of course, there is that 'standard' self-motivated rationalization:

TC writes:

"I have posted comments that would not endear me to my profession should I be found out. I need, like and want my job and will not jeopardize that by having my true name spelled out."

This is case in point to our earlier observations...isn't it too predictable to encounter such self-motivated rationalizations! What nature of conflict could there be that would "jeopardize" TC's employment?

TC lives in Canada - why would TC lose employment over [legitimate?] comments made online? What exactly is TC employed at?

Sounds like TC has concern that their online discussion activities cannot be legitimized by - whose standards?

TC writes "no one wants personal info stored on websites that others can use to defame, attack, or cause problems for"

Again I think that is a rather thin excuse motivated by a desire to not take responsibility for one's posting activities, it's become too easy to simply 'hide' and post from within the shadows - where one feels much less inhibition - to censor one's postings - with standards beyond those manufactured excuses!

What I do in my profession may or may not jibe with some of the stuff I write. I do not want my clients reading bringing it back to my business life. If they are supporters of the Great Satan, so am I !
If they communists and into three legged women....so am I !
As long as the keep sending the money, I can be anything they want.

I will not jeopardize that for anything.

But generally Don, one can easily see if someone is a true troll. Its pretty easy.
Quote:

TC writes: "...Geez....thats 200 views sagebrush...."

I have to say that if we're looking at readership/views on 'this' website - my threads seem to trump all others!

Funny thing is...I'm the high school dropout with a grade 8 education - labeled a "dummy" by so-called well-educated 'bureaucrats'...! LOL!

Sagebrush was silly to think, especially since he knows different, that 200 views is not 200 different people.

Anyhow, trolls are not a normal thing on this site, and infact I believe there to be none.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next  


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Cyberspace Pseudonyms compared to Real Names

phpBBCopyright 2001, 2005 phpBB