Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Ghiz calls PEI election called for October 3 Reply with quote

( lots of provincial elections this fall , PEI election added to the increasing list )

Ghiz asks Islanders for second mandate

Guardian photo by Brian McInnis
Premier Robert Ghiz enters Fanningbank Tuesday to ask the lieutenant governor to dissolve the legislature so the vote can be held Oct. 3.
Published on September 6, 2011

Wayne Thibodeau Topics : Prince Edward Island , Cornwall
Premier Robert Ghiz’s visit to Fanningbank, the lieutenant-governor’s official residence, lacked the usual excitement that comes on the eve of a provincial election campaign.

Ghiz met briefly with Lt.-Gov Frank Lewis, a formality given Prince Edward Island residents have known for nearly three years now that election day is Oct. 3.

Immediately following his meeting with the lieutenant-governor, Ghiz returned to the main hall where he touted his government’s accomplishments and provided a hint of what his party plans to announce over the coming 26-day campaign.

“During a renewed mandate, our plan is to enhance our education system, reflecting our belief that our best investments is in Islanders,” said Ghiz.

“Continue to improve the health care system through the recruitment and retention of highly skilled health professionals, maintain our program of tax fairness, which has saved Islanders tens of million of dollars over the past four years.”

Ghiz went from Fanningbank to a rally in Cornwall where Ron MacKinley, the veteran of the P.E.I. legislature, was nominated to run in his ninth election. He was first elected in a byelection in 1985.

The Liberal Party goes into the election campaign holding 24 of the Island’s 27 seats. There are two seats held by the PC Party and one vacancy.

PC Leader Olive Crane described it as an exciting time for her party.

This election will be won or lost on the doorsteps of Islanders, she said.

“There’s many issues from health to job creation,” said Crane, who was going door-to-door in her own riding of Morell-Mermaid Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s amazing just how many reasons there are to vote for the PC team and that’s exciting.”

"It's amazing just how many reasons there are to vote for the PC team and that's exciting," - PC Leader Olive Crane
The PC Party is starting the election campaign well back in the opinion polls but Crane said she doesn’t put much stock in polls.

“What I do pay attention to is those Island voters. The end poll that really counts is on Oct. 3.”

Responding to questions from reporters, Ghiz, who is 37 and Canada’s youngest premier, said the last four years have been difficult because of the global recession.

Despite that, Ghiz said P.E.I.’s economy did exceptionally well.

“For me (the upcoming election) is going to be about stability and continuing down the path that we’ve set forth,” said Ghiz.

The Liberal Party’s final nominating meeting is Wednesday night when Ghiz will be nominated in District 13, Charlottetown-Brighton.

The PC Party’s final nominating meeting is Friday night. That’s when Crane will be nominated in District 7, Morell-Mermaid.

The other three parties — the NDP, Green and Island — are scrambling to find candidates to fill the slate of 27 candidates.

Ghiz said he spoke with the leaders of the other political parties earlier Tuesday. He said he’s confident that the level playing field created by setting an election date in law has permitted the same degree of preparation among all political parties.

“I want to congratulate all those who have put their names forward. There is courage in that decision and that commitment requires depth of community spirit and allegiance to democracy,” said Ghiz.

“For that reason — and many others — I look forward to a healthy, democratic debate

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/D.....-mandate/1
cosmostein

votes: 20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be a slaughter;

The Tories may retain Crane's Morell-Mermaid riding,
However I am not convinced they will hold onto Montague-Kilmuir or Georgetown-St. Peters.

They couldn't even hold Pat Binns Belfast-Murray River riding in a by-election

We could see a 26 Lib 1 PC result
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Leader Olive Crane has pulled out of CBC's televised leaders debate.

Crane said if all five registered parties on the Island aren't included she's not interested.

"This is what democracy is all about," she said.

"People may support a different party but they actually have to be able to have a chance and an opportunity to hear from all leaders. And I'm dead serious. This is about taking a stand for democracy."

Interesting;
Its a brilliant tact considering that Crane is miles behind Ghiz in the polls, however the NDP did see a more then 50% increase in popular vote on the Island from the 2008 to 2011 Federal elections, and the Provincial Party was polling in the teens as recently as June.

Not sure if it will help; but its keeping it interesting.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghiz wins 2nd term as P.E.I. premier

CBC News

Posted: Oct 3, 2011 7:16 PM AT

Last Updated: Oct 3, 2011 10:36 PM AT

Related Links
P.E.I. VotesAccessibility Links

Ghiz victory9:25

Beginning of Story Content

The Liberal party on P.E.I. has won another majority government.

The Liberals won 22 seats while the Progressive Conservatives took the remaining five.

When the election was called, the Liberals had 24 seats, the PCs two, and one seat was vacant.

Robert Ghiz emerged from his Charlottetown home soon after Monday's majority projection was made.

Robert Ghiz said health care would be a key priority for his government.CBC

Ghiz, 37, said he had been nervous before the results came in.

"I guess [there's] a little sense of relief. It's nice to see the results finally starting to come in," he said.

"There are always going to be a lot of close races out there. And, at the end of the day, we knew that 14 was the mark we were going to need to form government and 18 was the mark for a solid majority, so anything on top of that is a bonus."

Progressive Conservative Leader Olive Crane was somewhat buoyed by what appeared to be gains for the party. Crane was the only Tory incumbent running, and at the start of the campaign there was talk of a Liberal sweep.

"Today's about Islanders and they have made their decision," Crane told CBC News.

Crane had to wait a relatively long time for the results in her own district, almost two hours before CBC projected she would win.

Health care 'emotional issue'

An opinion poll near the end of the campaign identified health care as the most important issue of the election.
The Ghiz family celebrates the CBC's majority-government projection.CBC
It played to the Tory message that the Liberals were ignoring rural areas. Hours were cut at the emergency department in Montague, and the government had trouble keeping a full complement of doctors in western P.E.I.

In an interview with CBC News, Ghiz said health care would be a key priority for his new government.

"It's not an exact science. That's why health care is such an emotional issue," he said.

"We have to make we have the best possible health care for the resources we have available."

"Its been good, if not great," he said.

The Liberal win makes P.E.I. one of the few Liberal bastions in the country, and there have been concerns about how that might affect the province's relationship with the Conservative majority in Ottawa.

"We're always going to have issues that we're going to disagree on," said Ghiz, but he denied there is any friction with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

"I've met with the prime minister alone, four or five times, one-on-one meetings over the last four years. And you want to know what? He's given me some advice that has been good. We've had some good discussions."

Few gains for other parties

Three other parties fielding candidates — the NDP, the Green Party, and the Island Party — failed to win a single seat. The Island has only ever elected one MLA who was neither a Tory nor a Liberal: New Democrat Herb Dickieson in 1996.

Ghiz was first elected premier in 2007. From the beginning, it appeared the latest vote was the Liberals' to lose. They started with a comfortable lead in opinion polls, and Islanders have not turfed a government after just one term since 1935.

The campaign did not go as smoothly as Ghiz might have hoped. In the second week, the Provincial Nominee Program reared its head.

Crane had hounded the government since 2008 over conflict of interest regarding questions of where immigrant investor money went, but by the start of the campaign, PNP had petered out as an issue. That changed when three former provincial employees came forward to accuse high government officials of accepting bribes and committing fraud. Federal Immigration Minister Jason Kenney referred the file to the RCMP and the Canada Border Service for investigation.

The Liberals won 23 seats in the 2007 general election, and increased their advantage during the mandate. Former premier Pat Binns resigned his seat soon after the election, and Liberal Charlie McGeoghegan won the ensuing 2008 byelection. This spring, Tory MLA Mike Currie resigned to run federally. He lost that race, but did not return to provincial politics. Progressive Conservative MLA Jim Bagnall chose not to reoffer, leaving the opposition with just one incumbent.

With his second win, Ghiz extends a family dynasty on P.E.I. His father, Joe Ghiz, was premier from 1996 to 1993.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....d-584.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( still a pretty small opposition but they did manage to pick up a few seats )

Five Tories to join 22 Liberals at legislature

PC MLA-elect James Aylward meets with supporters.
Published on October 3, 2011

Wayne Thibodeau Rodd plans to stay on as NDP leader, Labchuk readying for next contest
Topics : Shaw Building , Charlottetown , Prince Edward Island
The decision desk has declared a Liberal majority government for Prince Edward Island. Their leader, Robert Ghiz, has also been elected.

CLICK HERE FOR OUR ELECTION MAP TO VIEW LIVE RESULTS

The real nail-biter was District 1 Souris-Elmira, which had been too close to call all evening.

Liberal incumbent and cabinet minister Allan Campbell has lost by a handful of votes to popular PC candidate Colin LaVie. The district has had some tough financial times lately, with fish plant closures.

Progressive Conservative Leader Olive Crane watched the results from her sister's house where about 30 people gathered. There were a few moans from the crowd as the results kept flipping in Souris-Elmira with the latest showing the Conservatives with a very small lead.

"Oh my God that's awful close," she said. Campbell's loss drew a bigger cheer than Crane's win in her own riding.

Former Fisheries minister Neil LeClair also lost his riding to a Conservative newcomer. Hal Perry takes District 27 Tignish-Palmer Road.

Another close race took place in Kings County, at District 4 Belfast-Murray River, where Liberal incumbent Charlie McGeoghegan edged ahead of PC candidate Darlene Compton by four votes.

PC Steven Myers won District 2 Georgetown-St. Peters over another rookie, Liberal Kevin Gotell. The other riding where there was no incumbent going into the election was next door at District 3, Montague-Kilmuir. Liberal Allen Roach won that seat over PC candidate Greg Farrell.

Ghiz said he accepts Islanders' decisions.

"The priority has been to try to win a second mandate," he said.

"We knew that there was going to be some challenges along the way... You're never going to get them all. I know some people think that you are but I never really thought that it was in the cards."

PC James Aylward was the first Conservative elected. He ran against Liberal incumbent Cynthia Dunsford in District 6, which was profiled by The Guardian earlier in the campaign: CLICK HERE

Aylward describes the feeling as very surreal.

“I’ve got 30 people in my office, which measures 10 feet by 20 feet,’’ Aylward chuckled. “It’s quite a scene.’’

View the gallery
He says his three main priorities going forward will be health care, fiscal responsibility and addressing a number of safety concerns in the town.

Crane was quiet throughout the night, only saying a few words here and there, like when one of the pundits said there must be a lot of smiling Conservatives in Stratford.

"Here too," Crane said.

P.E.I. Green Party Leader Sharon Labchuk was pleased with her party’s performance, coming in third place with 4.4 per cent of the vote.

Labchuk says she and quite a few candidates are keen to run again in the next provincial election.

She plans to field 27 candidates in 2015, “well ahead of the writ drop.’’

None of the New Democrat candidates came close to victory tonight with all finishing a distant third or worse.

Overall, the party only managed about three percent of the total vote.

James Rodd, who says he plans to stay on as NDP leader, finished third in York-Oyster Bed, behind Liberal incumbent Robert Vessey and high-profile PC candidate Martie Murphy.

The Island New Democrats, he said, need to find different ways to get their message out.

"And it's not through the printed media,'' he said.

Peter McKenna, a UPEI political studies professor, says the 2011 campaign will be remembered as one of the most negative campaigns in recent memory. He said it's uncharacteristic for a provincial election campaign on the Island.

"Now it wasn't in your face bare knuckles attack ads," McKenna said in an interview.

"Is this going to become the new normal, where we're going to see a more aggressive, finger pointing, name calling, personalization of politics? I don't think Islanders respond favourable to that kind of language and sentiment.

"I think it's counterproductive for parties to go down that path."

The campaign kicked off Sept. 6.

Going into the first fixed-date election, there were 24 Liberal, two Conservative and one vacant seat in the 27-seat legislature.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/D.....in-LaVie/1
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised the PC's scored so many seats.
I am even more surprised they won nearly 50% of the popular vote in Cardigan

What is interesting, is that yet again we see the PC vote underpolled yet showed up on election day.

Jump to: