Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Feds to Target Public Sector Sick Leave Reply with quote

Quote:
The message to public sector unions was part of the federal budget's plan to return to a balanced budget, which also included plans to examine employee compensation and pensioner benefits and propose "changes to the labour relations regime."

"The government will be examining its human resources management practices and institutions in a number of areas, including disability and sick-leave management, with a view to ensuring that public servants receive appropriate services that support a more timely return to work," the budget document says.

Public servants get 15 days of sick leave a year, which can accumulate and carry over year to year. Before sick employees can qualify for disability, they must exhaust any accumulated sick leave.

Quote:
A report last year from the Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses said public sector employees average 15.2 sick, disability and personal days a year. The public sector average is 12.9 days, while the private sector average is 8.2 days, the report found. The report said the annual cost to taxpayers of these extra days was $3.5 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....efits.html
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes no sense whatsoever! Why doesn't the government feel that public sector employees need 15 days a year sick leave? That's only three work weeks a year, next thing they'll have to use their 5 weeks annual leave, or their family days, or volunteer time...
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
This makes no sense whatsoever! Why doesn't the government feel that public sector employees need 15 days a year sick leave? That's only three work weeks a year, next thing they'll have to use their 5 weeks annual leave, or their family days, or volunteer time...

For a moment I didn't see the sarcasm and almost fell off my chair :)
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really understand why the public service should get better conditions that the average of the private sector, myself. It distorts the economy. You have people doing grunt work for government, working way below their capacity, because the money is so much better in the public sector -- 50% higher than the same occupational category in the private sector, by an actual study.

The public service probably contains the biggest number of premium jobs in the country, if you throw the provincial civil services in with them. And all of them are treated as job ghettos for women and visible minorities, which is really getting offensive because it has gone on far longer than would be required for any real or imagined injustice from the past. How, in fact, can there be any score to settle with immigrants?

It sounds to me like this is just sabre rattling. The unions will only get ready to sabotage their work, in preparation for these 'negotiations'. That's my bet.

The bigger question: how bit is the deficit going to be, a year from now?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

It sounds to me like this is just sabre rattling. The unions will only get ready to sabotage their work, in preparation for these 'negotiations'. That's my bet.

Maybe I am overreaching but I think we have reached a point of conclusion for voter empathy for unions of all kinds.

McGunity's Liberals forced an agreement on the most beloved of public servants (Teachers) using a piece of legislation which stripped the Unions ability to negotiate and when they were done having their way with the Teachers repealed the legislation that allowed them to force the deal on them.

Yet no one seems care.

Harper fired a huge shot across the deck of Unions across Canada with the quiet passing of the Union Transparency Act in December, which appears to at least open the door to a discussion about Right to Work legislation.

I think going after Public Servants and their 15 bankable sick days a year wins you some support from those folks who get none.

Bugs wrote:
The bigger question: how big is the deficit going to be, a year from now?

Going strictly by the numbers;
They are projecting around 9b for 2014, but I feel they are cheating.

Assuming growth holds true (which I know you don't feel is the case) they have IMO vastly under projected tax revenue growth to a point where if they can mop the deck of some bureaucracy to the tune of 4-5b a year we could find ourselves with a surprised balance in 2014 (The Paul Martin Shuffle)
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert at economic modelling. It seems likely, however, that with most of the world slowing down -- China, Germany and the rest of the EU -- that earnings will decline somewhat. It looks to me as if the Keystone Pipeline is in trouble.

The only sign I can see of economic growth in the West is the possibility of war. I think Obama is lying to Israelis, and Israel is more isolated than it has ever been, and knows it. I am not a reflexive Israel supporter, but I have to say -- their window of opportunity is closing. I couldn't really blame them if they attack, but I really wonder if they have the range to do anything more than delay the Iranians anyway.

I mention it because war could mean some economic growth.

I gotta say, I hope you're right. I just wish we were moving towards a market economy faster. Civil servants used to accept that they got a marginally lower salary because they had job security. I would like to see the civil service lose the right to unionize altogether, and face step by step reductions in the future. It doesn't have to be draconian. Employment barriers to white males ought also to be eliminated in principle, and Human Rights Commissions reduced in size and scope, and be required to provide what used to be called 'natural justice'.

Jump to: