Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Canadian Exceptionalism Reply with quote

America Exceptionalism implies that America is dfifferent than other nations how it was formed as a free nation based on democratic ideals and personal liberty.

It's not about superiority.

Like America there is Canadian Exceptionalism. Though we were a colony, Canada established a unique relationship with the French Canadians and First Nations to form a successful nation, reagrdless, and many of us still like the affiliation with Britain. I always preferred the Union Jack rather than our Liberal colour flag. We could have utilized red, white and blue... but look who was in power then.

However, the point of this thread is to explore our exceptionalism through our Citizens, individuals and organizations that are "exceptional" in many ways. I would be pleased to read who the forum members choose and why. Then I'll likely put together something for www.onwardjames.blogspot.com that has spread to several places in the world.

For example Canada set a world record for gold medals in the Winter Olympics. Mediciine and doctors. Farmers. Ranchers. Oil people. Or one might suggest Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Then there is the military and so forth.

We have reason to be proud considering what has transpired in the past decade and two hundred years. Our exceptionalism is our people and we have never been attacked after the Americans tried to take over. We can thank aboriginals for helping us win.

Naturally there is always room for improvement... but what countries are in our position which isn't bad, frankly pretty good.

Last edited by Edmund Onward James on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Forty-three viewers and no one has name or story even a small personal experience.

At least Toronto Centre responded in Blue Canada and will likely post something.

Toronto Centre, on 21 June 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

Just a quick FYI, perhaps it is unknown but the man who designed the flag, Dr George Stanley was a Dean at Royal Military College. Pearson actually liked the two blue borders instead of the red.
The red white red is from the General Service Medal that Queen Victoria issued and King George proclaimed as our national colours.

Anyhow...moving on....

What a wonderful idea .

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of people who make this country exceptional. They represent all political stripes , all colours and all ethnic backgrounds.

Are you looking for the unsung hero type ? The one who does not get the recognition of say a Terry Fox (RIP Mrs Fox) ?

It doesn't matter. The kind of hero that I have experienced is from the incredible Raymond Alan Zebulon Leigh Munro R.A.Z.L. Dazzle Munro to the everyday person. Even a cleaning lady who works hard to keep the messy places clean. At times I would be served by someone at a store and was so impressed I told the person and usuualy asked for the name of the manager or CEO of the company to send a letter. And often the executives were so pleased that someone commented about their staff rather than lodging complaints.

An example of Canadian Exceptionalism happened for me a week ago. I was shopping at a Superstore and when I went to reach for my wallet I realized I forgot it at home but had some bills in my pocket. But short for one item, a coffee creamer for about $4 or 5. The lady behind me paid. No need. Though I looked bedraggled because I was landscaping earlier and I'm not that impecunious. She did it because she felt like doing something natural and nice. She said I didn't have to pay her back. I am sure that kind of thing occurs in many places, however, at that moment I understood why my 84 year old mother cherishes Canada.

She was a forced labourer, taken from her village when she was sixteen by the Nazis, survived and when she came to CANADA she metaphorically kissed the ground. One of her first jobs was a cleaning lady. And today she owns a semi-resort business and still cleans up things when she feels healthy and desires a bit of a work-out.

Jump to: