Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nathaliejcaron

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Airbus plane crashes in Hudson River -- from flock of birds? Reply with quote

Ok, you must have all heard of this story by now...

But the authorities are saying that this was caused by a flock of birds. I wasn't really thinking about it, but my friend brought up the terrorist sabotage conspiracy theory.

We were watching the Bush final address, where he focused on how his presidency's main accomplishment was the post 9-11 war on terror, and the protection of American soil from terrorist.

Does anyone else believe this could have been exactly that. I mean the inauguration of Obama is days away, and all of sudden a commercial airplane crashes in the Hudson River, due to a "flock of birds".

I dunno if I buy it.

The Globe and Mail write this morning on the subject:

Quote:
Although bird strikes are common, they don't typically result in emergencies. Of the 1,283 bird strikes reported at Canadian airports in 2007, only three led to forced landings and 29 to aborted takeoffs.

[...] Nick Stoss, former director of air investigations for the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, said he can't recall another incident where an aircraft of the size and sophistication of an Airbus A320 was brought down by a bird.

[...] "One of the parameters an aircraft engine must meet is tolerance to bird strikes. In other words, the engines are designed to withstand a certain level of bird strike, and that would be based on bird size. Beyond that weight level, the amount of damage might be significant and could result in the loss of thrust from an engine."

I dunno... the seed of doubt has been planted in my mind.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most conspiracy theories, the one your friend suggests depends of the total cooperation of a great number of people, including but not limited to every member of the flight crew, air traffic controllers, and over 150 passengers, most of whom would have had access to cell phones, not to mention first responders to the scene. In this era of ubiquitous, instantaneous information exchange, it's practically impossible to achieve the level of control such a coverup would require. Recall that the reason Flight 93 ended up the way it did, was because passengers on the plane were communicating via cell phone and text message with loved ones who had seen the towers hit.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funniest response to this story I found so far...

-Mac

Quote:
I am frankly shocked and amazed that no one else has seen the events of 1/15 for what they are. People, do you not understand what happened here?

A plane has been brought down by a group of geese. The question we need to ask ourselves is why, and more importantly, why is it our fault? Because it is our fault. I want you all to consider the culpability we have in this: Boneless Goose Breast, Brandied Roast Goose, Roast Goose with Cumberland Sauce and Apricot Stuffing, and then there's the real shame we should all feel: the Christmas Goose.

We ourselves are responsible for the creation of these suicide geese. Yes, it's our fault that the rise of militant Gooslam has spread so far and wide. Why, under the neo-fascism of Cheney/Bush, goose consumption has increased more than 1500%. The popular opinion right now is praise for the pilot who safely brought the plane down into the Hudson River, and worked to ensure that more than 150 lives were saved, but the truth of the situation is that pilots in this country have been tools of the warmongering Cheney/Bush administration in a wrong-headed war against geese.

I say it's high time we establish a dialogue with these elements of radical Gooslam. Have talks... without preconditions. Let's hope and change! C'mon people: give geese a chance!
nathaliejcaron

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, priceless Mac! :lol:
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathaliejcaron wrote:
Wow, priceless Mac! :lol:

The guy who wrote it is a buddy of mine from Colorado with a wicked sense of humour. I'm glad to see he's producing satire again. He wasn't very happy when Obama won the election...

-Mac
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone else believe this could have been exactly that. I mean the inauguration of Obama is days away, and all of sudden a commercial airplane crashes in the Hudson River, due to a "flock of birds".

It was birds. I worked at the Airport for 8 years(Ramp rat at YYZ), geese would destroy the engine.

It is pretty crazy when Birds hit the engine, most of the time the plane can circle and land, then you have to flush the feathers out wich is crazy to see.

But I have seen pictures of American airlines planes with holes in the cock pit b/c of birds. What this Pilot did is nothing short of Amazing, just F'n amazing.

At Pearson(YYZ) they have trained Ravens, to take the risk away from smaller birds hitting engines. If what they are saying(that Geese hit the engine) is true, there is no way the engine could absorb that. Birds hitting planes is is a pretty common occurance.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All due respect (and kudos) to the pilot, there are a lot of people who made this potential tragedy into a triumph. Here's someone who said it better than I:

Matt G wrote:
...As good a job as Sullenberger did (he's probably the most celebrated man in the 5 boroughs tonight), he frankly was doing his job. What's impressive is how well everyone else did to pitch in and save his passengers, crew, and Sullenberger himself. Coast Guard vessels were there, lickety split. FDNY, the traditional heroes of New York, were on scene. And, too, there were commuter ferries that rushed to the scene, and participated effectively in rescue. Almost like they had been training to do that all along. *

Oh. Wait. They do train to do that. NYPD also showed up on scene, and rescued more than one person with their divers...

...Who else? Well, there were some pretty impressive design considerations that had to have come into play. Somewhere, there's a team of aeronautical engineers who are toasting each other, and rightly so. The plane floated long enough to get everyone out. That's amazing. Traditional logic for a long time was that these things sunk. The doors came open immediately upon landing. Design? Good crew training? Both? I don't know. But it saved lives to get people off the plane. Small rafts were deployed. Good job, there.

Those flight attendants are more than just waiters to serve you drinks and show you how to use an O2 mask. They used to be called "stewards," meaning, "one who attends to the needs of another." If they opened the doors, deployed rafts, and helped evacuate the plane, then they did exactly that, and apparently did it pretty well.

While everyone raises a glass to the pilot, remember to toast the other heroes and she-roes who went to work on the Hudson on January 15th, 2009. Damned good work, that.
Better and Better

He goes on to link to a google search for ferry captain Brittany Catanzaro, whom in addition to being the first female ferry captain in NYC, is also the youngest (19), and was one of the first captains to respond to the scene. She and her crew rescued 24 people from the plane.
Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for posting that up, FF_Canuck!!

-Mac

Jump to: