Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:
(
Robyn Urback‏Verified account @RobynUrback · 14m14 minutes ago

The crux of Gerald Butts' explanation about shuffling JWR is that this government needed to find the best person possible to take over Indigenous Services.

The eventual appointment of Seamus O'Regan undermines that completely

Yep.

For me, it's an admission. It's a clear demotion, it is not a lateral transfer. In context, any normal rational person would take it as punishment. Consider the context -- politicians fight for these positions. Politicians deal in influence, and that waxes and wanes with a perceived upward arc in their careers.

The more appropriate path of yore would be to offer JWR some juicy sinecure. She may be a little light on credentials in the first place. (The guy who replaced JWR has a way more credentials.) The showboat PM was demonstrating his commitment to women at the time.

If he wanted to get rid of her, he has to do it through a promotion, not a demotion.

This says to me they are 'gaslighting' -- and I am listening to the committee interrogation. I have to commend the MPs. They have a party angle, but it explores the question from that point of view in valid ways. Some tough questions are being asked. Butts is not producing much evidence. The mood is civil, but Butts is using up time in obvious ways.

I don't think this is very persuasive. He doesn't attack anything JWR says or did. He takes refuge in the idea that everybody has their interpretation of the same experience. It denies the possibility of Truth. It's a very controlled performance so far, although he seems brittle at times.

The point is that his explanation for the demotion is bogus. It means, in ordinary career terms, that it was punishment for something or other. And that means it was the follow-through on the implicit threat.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another expert view of this scandal ... David McLaughlin, joins CPAC's Peter Van Dusen to discuss the SNC-Lavalin Affair and the political fallout from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFRBJGJ-jkE
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( public prosecution service of Canada sent out a tweet which is causing a stir in Ottawa , didn't even know they had a twitter )

Public Prosecution Service of Canada‏Verified account @PPSC_SPPC

Follow Follow @PPSC_SPPC

Prosecutorial independence is key to our mandate. Our prosecutors must be objective, independent and dispassionate, as well as free from improper influence—including political influence. http://ow.ly/hNc450mDBSx

7:30 AM - 7 Mar 2019
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the justice committee has apparently been adjourned and its unclear if Raybould will be allowed to come back , looking more and more like a cover up )

Liberals delay debate on whether to bring Wilson-Raybould back to testify

Rachel Gilmore, CTVNews.ca Writer

@atRachelGilmore
Published Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:07PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, March 13, 2019 2:27PM EDT

Liberal MPs have delayed debate on a motion to bring former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould back before the House of Commons Justice Committee.

The decision means that there are no answers yet as to whether she will be allowed to appear before the committee once again to give additional details about meetings relating to the prosecution of Quebec engineering giant SNC-Lavalin.

The debate will take place behind closed doors on March 19, the day the federal budget is set to be released.

The request to bring Wilson-Raybould back before committee came from opposition MPs, who argued that she must be given the opportunity to speak again because of the inconsistencies between Wilson-Raybould's testimony and the subsequent testimonies from the prime minister’s former principal secretary Gerald Butts and Clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick.

In her Feb. 27 committee appearance, Wilson-Raybould claimed she was subjected to “consistent and sustained” efforts to pressure her into seeking a remediation agreement deal with SNC-Lavalin. The firm has been slapped with corruption charges in response to its dealings with contracts in Libya.

Conservative MPs have previously said a Liberal refusal to allow Wilson-Raybould to appear before the committee would be tantamount to an effort to "cover up" the issue.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-delay-debate-on-whether-to-bring-wilson-raybould-back-to-testify-1.4334320
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, or anything ... but I fear we are coming up to a point where the Liberals will try to (once again) enchant us with freebies. (This time it's Pharmacare, a page out of the Kathleen Wynne playbook.) First, they will just shut down all the inquiries, and ignore the criticism until the story dies. Then watch the goodies come out. After the election, as quietly as possible, SNC Lavalin will get its way. If the Liberals win ... that is.

In this situation, we need people who can craft together a way of keeping this story alive, preferably with humour and bring home the general corruption that seems to lie ahead on the path that the Liberals are taking. If this goes into a cocked hat, how are we going to control the others? It will be public then. There will be a big loss of faith, and of prestige amongst world nations. As bad as letting SNC Lavalin bribe is letting everybody know that Canada will sell exemptions to the law to big corporations. There's likely to be a lineup.

I think that's as important as the actual offense. The Liberals simply must be defeated.

I don't mean to beleaguer Scheer. My views are known. It isn't his forte, but the leader has to foster the effort. The voters are the Letterkenny people. Only that's a cartoon version of them.

Poilivivre is excellent, but he's dry and elevated. Michelle Rempel is another good choice, and female to boot. I would say her humour is more mainstream. Someone who could launch a "Kevin O'Leary shot" or two would be good -- someone who has enough gravitas to be permitted to be nasty, at the Conrad Black or Rex Murphy end of the scale.

Who is going to pay? They should have a contest, seeing who can pin that tail on which donkey. That's a question that deserves some research.

And where is Bernier?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, or anything ... but I fear we are coming up to a point where the Liberals will try to (once again) enchant us with freebies. (This time it's Pharmacare, a page out of the Kathleen Wynne playbook. And they will just ignore the criticism until the story dies, and after the election, SNC will get its way. If the Liberals win ... that is.

The freebies were coming one way or another;
The Liberal support levels having plunged in Western Canada and were strong but not as strong in Atlantic Canada to a point where they would sweep the region challenged their majority math, they were going to have to bribe us with our own money sooner or later.

Now that the polling has flipped and put them in a potential opposition role;
Expect a new declaration of war on business as being the pillagers of the middle class along with freebies.

They will utilize populism as they did in 2015 to claim that its an us vs them election.

Bugs wrote:
In this situation, we need people who can craft together of keeping this story alive, preferably with humour and bring home the general corruption that seems to lie ahead on the path that the Liberals are taking.

While I think SNC is getting the headlines,
The situation with Mark Norman has the potential to be far more damning, its really a matter of if the trial will be pushed beyond the election.

Bugs wrote:

And where is Bernier?

I have been asking myself the same question;
Isn't this situation tailor made for what he is pitching?

I don't understand why he didn't participate in the Justice Committee hearings, if only to get mics in his face to comment after testimony

https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/03/13/maxime-bernier-takes-a-pass-on-house-justice-committee-participation/191961

The website hasn't been updated with news content since early February:
https://www.peoplespartyofcanada.ca/news

Stuff like that and social media should be easy ways to get the vision out, I am of the opinion he needs to utilize these more to get a message out.

I get that he was in Newfoundland last week and that resources for a new party can be limited but I really thought he would be more in front of this.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liberal MPs vote for swift end to special justice committee meeting

By Charlie Pinkerton. Published on Mar 13, 2019 2:59pm

Liberals on the House of Commons Justice committee voted to quickly end a meeting that opposition MPs had demanded in order to recall Jody Wilson-Raybould to fill in the holes of the story about what happened between her and the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) during the highly publicized SNC-Lavalin affair.

Conservative and NDP MPs called for the special meeting last week. Parliament does not sit this week.

Opposition MPs pitched their offer to reinvite Wilson-Raybould to return to the committee and to urge Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to expand the parameters of the order-in-council that originally permitted her to testify at the committee, before Liberal MP Francis Drouin moved to adjourn the meeting less than half an hour after it began.

Liberal MPs ignored shouts of a “cover up” and “shame” from the opposition and voted together to end the meeting. The justice committee is scheduled to meet next on March 19, the same day that the government will table its budget. That meeting will not be open to the public, as is typical for meetings of the sort, when committees discuss how to proceed in a study.

NDP MP Tracey Ramsey, who sat in the place of Murray Rankin, argued at Wednesday’s meeting that the committee should disregard the typical protocol of meeting privately to discuss future witnesses since it is in “uncharted territory” in its investigation of the SNC-Lavalin affair.

“We need to behave appropriately in a way that reflects that,” Ramsey told colleagues.

After the meeting, she told reporters the Liberal MPs’ move was “outrageous.”

Conservative MPs ranted to reporters afterwards as well.

“I’ve never been so disgusted by the conduct of my Liberal colleagues,” Conservative MP Michael Cooper said.

Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said his party would meet privately to discuss what their next course of action is to continue pressuring the government over the controversy. He said they’re willing to use “every tool in the parliamentary tool box.”

When Wilson-Raybould first appeared in front of the committee, the former attorney general gave a near four-hours-long telling of the months that she alleged she was pressured to overrule a decision made by the Director of Public Prosecutions Kathleen Roussel to allow SNC-Lavalin a deferred prosecution agreement, meaning they could dodge a criminal conviction for bribery and fraud charges they face from their dealings with the Gaddafi regime in Libya.

Wilson-Raybould was allowed to talk about cabinet matters involving the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin, as long as the events happened while she was attorney general. She was not permitted to discuss matters covered by confidentiality from after she was no longer attorney general. She was shuffled from the role on Jan. 14 and resigned from her reappointment as minister of Veterans Affairs on Feb. 12. At the justice committee meeting she attended on Feb. 27, Wilson-Raybould said she would like to return to the committee to explain the entirety of her story, if the prime minister extends the waiver.

Following testimonies at the justice committee by Trudeau’s former principal secretary Gerald Butts and a second appearance by Privy Council Clerk Michael Wernick that contradicted hers, Wilson-Raybould repeated her desire to speak to the committee again. In a statement, she said if the government’s order-in-council were to be extended that she would “of course” be available to lend herself to their investigation again. She said her first testimony “was not a complete account but only a detailed summary.”

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/03/13/liberal-mps-vote-for-swift-end-to-special-justice-committee-meeting/
paulalexdij

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: moral hazard Reply with quote

it seems that entitled entourages, both in Quebec and in Canada, mince their words and mix their messages when it comes to morally muddled machinations for the sake of their own team.

here the CBC points four fingers back at itself; and Scheer is collateral damage :(

https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opposition-scheer-1.5055428
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Michael Wernick , famous for his testimony before the justice committee now plans to retire and blames the opposition for having to do so ( even though he had already hinted at retiring anyways )

CTV Power Play‏Verified account @CTV_PowerPlay · 31m31 minutes ago

#BREAKING - PM @JustinTrudeau announces Privy Council Clerk Michael Wernick retirement. Ian Shugart to replace him

Laura Ryckewaert‏ @LRyck · 37m37 minutes ago

Laura Ryckewaert Retweeted GC Newsroom

Michael Wernick announces his retirement, saying “recent events” led him to decision that he can’t serve as PCO clerk during upcoming election. Plans to retire “well before the writ of election is issued.” #cdnpoli

Laura Ryckewaert‏ @LRyck · 35m35 minutes ago

"It is now apparent that there is no path for me to have a relationship of mutual trust and respect with the leaders of the Opposition parties,” he writes in letter to PM. Says it’s “essential” during election for clerk to be seen as “impartial arbiter” re: foreign interference.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're a little rough on our Mr Wernick. He wrote that he recognized that he had forfeited the trust of all parties and, as a result, couldn't continue in his present role.

He isn't quitting the civil service, just the job of Clerk of the Privy Council.

Collateral damage He'll be taken care of. The previous Clerk is now the CEO of SNC Lavelin!
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberal dominated committee is not going to allow Raybould to return )

Don Martin‏Verified account @DonMartinCTV

Follow Follow @DonMartinCTV

The five Liberal MPs in control of the justice committee have served notice they will not be allowing @Puglaas to return to continue her testimony. They say they’ve heard enough.

4:31 PM - 18 Mar 2019
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals are also having Anne Mclellan give them advice , she is a well known former liberal mp and still involved with the party )

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 7h7 hours ago

#CPC bench is literally doubled over in laughter as @JustinTrudeau tells the #HoC he’s asked former #LPC Justice Min Anne McLellan to give him advice on relationship between PMO and Justice. “I guess Sheila Copps wasn’t available!” @AndrewScheer says!
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privy Council Clerk Wernick to resign

By Charlie Pinkerton and Marco Vigliotti. Published on Mar 18, 2019 2:36pm

Clerk of the Privy Council Michael Wernick. iPolitics/Matthew Usherwood

Michael Wernick is resigning as Clerk of the Privy Council, saying he can no longer hold the role because of the lack of “mutual trust and respect” with the leaders of the opposition parties.

He announced his impending retirement from the public service in a letter released Monday, where he blamed unspecified “recent events” for his departure. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau quickly named deputy foreign affairs minister Ian Shugart as the new clerk, saying in a statement he would transition over in the coming weeks.

Wernick has become a polarizing figure for his role in the SNC-Lavalin controversy. Jody Wilson-Raybould has accused him of threatening political consequences if she refused to grant the company a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA) during her tenure as attorney general, though Wernick has refuted this suggestion, insisting he only ever provided her with non-partisan, apolitical advice.

His rousing defence of the government’s actions in urging Wilson-Raybould to reconsider offering a DPA to SNC-Lavalin has drawn accusations from some opposition MPs that he behaved inappropriately partisan. NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus has called for Wernick’s resignation for the past few weeks.

“One of the key roles of the Privy Council Office is to be ready to assist whichever government Canadians elect in October. It has been my privilege to work with the transition teams of three prime ministers,” Wernick wrote in his resignation letter.

“It is now apparent that there is no path for me to have a relationship of mutual trust and respect with the leaders of the Opposition parties.”

Wernick also said that his role on a government task force responsible for alerting the public about serious foreign interference in the upcoming election required him to be seen as an “impartial arbiter” by all political parties.

He said he will resign “well before” the start of the next election campaign and will have “more to say later.”

In his statement, Trudeau thanked Wernick for his 38-year tenure in the public service, while hailing his replacement as “well-placed” to take on the position.

“Ian Shugart will bring with him a wealth of experience to the role of Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet,” Trudeau said.

“Having served as a deputy minister in three different departments, Mr. Shugart is well-placed to lead the federal public service as it continues to implement the Government of Canada’s agenda and deliver high-quality service to Canadians.”

Speaking to reporters, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland praised Shugart as a “fantastic choice” to replace Wernick, calling him a “tremendously effective deputy minister.”

“[He’s] someone who I trust completely and someone who is 100 per cent devoted to the Canadian national interest and someone with excellent judgment,” she said at a press conference in Ottawa, noting that Shugary previously worked as a political staffer for former Progressive Conservative prime minister Joe Clark.

Freeland also voiced her “tremendous respect” for Wernick, calling him a “tremendous Canadian public servant in the best tradition of our public service.”

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, who joined Freeland at the media availability, echoed her praise for Shugart and thanked Wernick for his years of service to Canada.

“I don’t think they could have found a better person to fill the shoes that Michael is leaving and I look forward to working with him,” he said of Shugart.

Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said Wernick’s resignation shows that the SNC-Lavalin controversy is “even bigger than we thought” and that the Liberal government is operating in “crisis mode.”

“The only person left to resign now is Justin Trudeau himself, whose corrupt government no longer has the confidence of Canadians,” he told reporters.

*This story has been updated with comment from Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/03/18/privy-council-clerk-wernick-to-resign/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Justice committee probe is over and opposition will now seek new ways to hear her testimony )

CPAC‏Verified account @CPAC_TV · 26m26 minutes ago

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says party will consider "emergency actions" in House as Liberals end SNC-Lavalin committee probe; says if PM "expects us to quietly accept a cover-up of his interference in a criminal prosecution, he will get a rude awakening this aft." #cdnpoli
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
( the Justice committee probe is over and opposition will now seek new ways to hear her testimony )

CPAC‏Verified account @CPAC_TV · 26m26 minutes ago

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says party will consider "emergency actions" in House as Liberals end SNC-Lavalin committee probe; says if PM "expects us to quietly accept a cover-up of his interference in a criminal prosecution, he will get a rude awakening this aft." #cdnpoli

OK, Andrew ... let's see what you guys can pull together!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: