Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another former BC liberal mla is considering seeking a federal nomination , this one in Kamloops a riding that has not been liberal in decades and would seem like an unlikely top target )

Terry Lake mulling a run for federal Liberal nomination

The former Kamloops mayor and B.C. health minister Lake told KTW he is considering seeking the nomination in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo in the Oct. 21 election, having been encouraged to announce his candidacy by members of the party and other supporters over the past year

Michael Potestio / Kamloops This Week
January 30, 2019 03:37 PM

Terry Lake Justin Trudeau

Terry Lake (left) thanks Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for speaking during the prime minister's visit to Kamloops on Jan. 9.

Photograph By Dave Eagles

Terry Lake, the former Kamloops mayor, B.C. Liberal MLA and health minister, may venture into federal politics.

Lake told KTW he is considering seeking the nomination as the federal Liberal party candidate in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo in the Oct. 21 election, having been encouraged to announce his candidacy by members of the party and other supporters over the past year.

“I was pretty sure I was done politics when I didn’t run again provincially, but enough people have asked me about this that it’s at least started me thinking about it,” Lake said.

A political comeback wasn’t something he had planned on doing and he said there is much for him to consider before making a decision, such as his job as the vice-president of corporate and social responsibility and communications for marijuana producer Hexo Corp.

“I would probably seek a leave of absence because you want to work full time once the campaign gets underway in the fall,” he said.

Lake said he also wants to get a better understanding of the local riding association structure and find out if there would be work he can do regarding the opioid crisis if he ran successfully in October.

“There’s certainly no decision at this point,” Lake said. “I have to make sure that if I do this it’s going to be meaningful.”

His past as a B.C. Liberal is also something Lake is weighing in his decision.

While they share the same name, the federal and B.C. Liberal parties are not affiliated.

The B.C. Liberals consist of a coalition of conservative and liberal politicians, Lake said, noting he considered himself a liberal in that party when he was first elected MLA in 2009.

“One thing that is a challenge for me is that a lot of people that have supported me over the last eight years in provincial politics, a lot of those people were conservatives that supported the B.C. Liberals and many are my friends,” Lake said.

“I know some of those people would be disappointed for me thinking about running for the [federal] Liberals.”

He said he wants to hear from these individuals and get their opinion.

“Ultimately, it’ll be my decision to make with my family, but it’s important for me to know how they feel,” he said.

Lake said he supported the federal Liberal party prior to his provincial career and renewed his membership at about the time he introduced Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at the Liberal Party of Canada’s $300 per plate lunch in Kamloops on Jan. 9.

While he has not put a timeline on making a decision, Lake expects the party will want to have its nomination process underway within the next couple of months. Though unaware of any others who may also be considering the nomination, he hopes many put their names forward — for the Liberals and other parties, as well.

Steve Powrie, the local Liberal candidate in 2015, announced late last year he would not seek the nomination.

The 2015 results in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo saw Conservative Cathy McLeod get re-elected with 24,595 votes, followed by New Democrat Bill Sundhu, with 21,466 votes, and Powrie, with 21,215 votes. Green candidate Matt Greenwood’s received 2,489 votes.

Powrie’s 21,215 votes were the most ever received by a Liberal candidate in the riding.

Voter turnout was 73.4 per cent.

ONLY ONE CANDIDATE CONFIRMED

Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo MP Cathy McLeod will again carry the Conservative flag in the next election, but it remains to be seen who her challengers will be. While Lake mulls a run for the Liberal nomination, there has been no word on possible candidates in the New Democrat, Green or People’s Party ranks.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/terry-lake-mulling-a-run-for-federal-liberal-nomination-1.23617961
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( parliament might be back in session but out PM has an entire day of anti - cpc campaigning planned for southern Ontario instead . with visits to Milton and York Simcoe ridings . The York Simcoe stop is an official campaign stop as that's a by election riding , where is Milton is an un-official campaign visit disquised as a town hall meeting , a town hall meeting with a liberal candidate and not the ridings actual MP

I'm personally convinced the Adam Van Koeverden candicacy originated from the PMO office and it was there idea to target Lisa Raitt as they were upset with her constant questioning of the PM during question period

also don't think a major party leader has been to York Simcoe in some time . pretty sure no one visited the riding in 2011 or 2015 and don't recall anyone dropping by since )

dan nolan‏ @dandundas · 18h18 hours ago

#HamOnt Prime Minister @JustinTrudeau will be in our area Thursday. He will be at a town hall in Milton at the Craig Kielburger Secondary School, 1151 Ferguson Dr. Starts 7 pm. No doubt star Liberal candidate Adam van Koeverden will there. Milton is held by MP @lraitt @TheSpec

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 3h3 hours ago

Later today, @JustinTrudeau will campaign in the riding of York--Simcoe. #elxn42. By end of day, he will have campaigned in 2 of 3 by-election races. Next up: Burnaby South.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is also a werid rumour in Ottawa that Roger Cuzner will retire and Gerald Butts will run in his cape Breton riding as that's where he was originally from . although it would seem to be untrue the Butts part )

Six-term Liberal MP Cuzner ‘disappointed’ he was left out of cabinet, not 100 per cent sure if he will seek re-election

By Abbas Rana Feb. 6, 2019

Liberal MP Rodger Cuzner and PMO deny speculation that Trudeau's principal secretary, Gerald Butts, has any plans to run for the Liberals in the federal Nova Scotia riding of Cape Breton-Canso.

Nova Scotia Liberal MP Rodger Cuzner, left, pictured with NDP MP Nathan Cullen, is still unsure if he will run in the upcoming election. The Hill Times file photograph

PARLIAMENT HILL—After 19 years in federal politics, a veteran Liberal MP from Nova Scotia—who won his riding with the highest percentage of votes in his province, in 2015—is not 100 per cent sure if he will seek re-election in October.

“Well, you know, I’m 99 per cent sure,” said Liberal MP Rodger Cuzner in an interview with The Hill Times, after the weekly national caucus meeting on Wednesday. “I’ve talked with my wife about this over Christmas and we’ve sort of looked at a couple of things.”

In an interview with The Hill Times, Mr. Cuzner (Cape Breton-Canso, N.S.), 63, conceded he was disappointed that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) did not promote him to the cabinet in last month’s cabinet shuffle, but added that it won’t be a factor in his final decision.

“I was disappointed,” said Mr. Cuzner, in an interview after Wednesday’s national caucus meeting in West Block. “Anybody that tells you that they wouldn’t like a chance to sit at the [cabinet] table, I think they’re being somewhat disingenuous. I’ve got confidence in the prime minister, I’ve got confidence in the people around him, that they have a purpose when they make a decision like this, they do it for the right reasons.”

Mr. Trudeau recently promoted rookie MP, Bernadette Jordan (South Shore-St. Margarets, N.S.), to the front bench. She now holds the newly created portfolio of rural economic development. She’s the only cabinet minister from the province.

Despite his disappointment about the shuffle, Mr. Cuzner told The Hill Times he “supports Bernadette Jordan wholeheartedly” as minister.

If Mr. Cuzner chooses not to run, he will be the fourth Liberal MP to do so, out of the 11 from the province. Former Treasury Board president Scott Brison (Kings-Hants, N.S.) recently resigned from cabinet and said he won’t seek re-election. He announced on Wednesday that his last day in office will be Feb. 10.

Liberal MP Bill Casey (Cumberland-Colchester, N.S.) and Liberal MP Colin Fraser (West Nova, N.S.) also previously announced they would not be running in October. In the last election, Liberals made history by winning all 32 seats in the four Atlantic provinces, including 11 in Nova Scotia.

The federal Liberal Party had set some specific conditions for Liberal MPs to meet in terms of fundraising, number of door-knocks, and phone contacts with constituents if they want to avoid a nomination challenge and be acclaimed as candidates. All MPs were required to meet those conditions by October. Mr. Cuzner did not meet those conditions, and therefore is not a nominated candidate in his riding. That means even if he chooses to run in 2019, he could be challenged for the party’s nomination.

Mr. Cuzner is well liked on the Hill, and in his riding. He’s known for his sense of humour and for being down to earth. He was first elected to the House in the 2000 general election, and has been re-elected in five subsequent elections.Between 2008 and 2010, he served as the chief opposition whip, and during the Martin government, he served as the parliamentary secretary to the prime minister. In 2015, he won his riding by a margin of 60 per cent of the vote.

Hill circles have been awash with speculation recently that, if Mr. Cuzner chooses not to seek re-election, Gerald Butts, principal secretary to the prime minister might run for his party in the upcoming election.

Mr. Butts, who was born in the Glace Bay area of the riding, has been serving as principal secretary to Mr. Trudeau since 2015, and is the most influential staffer in the current government. A PMO spokeswoman told The Hill Times that Mr. Butts has no plans to run in the upcoming election.

“Gerry Butts is absolutely not running. [It’s] categorically untrue,” said Eleanore Catenaro, press secretary at the PMO.

Mr. Cuzner said he had also heard the rumour and he reached out to Mr. Butts who “laughed” at the rumour and denied he had any plans to enter elected politics.

“Listen, there’s a better chance of me winning the Boston marathon than Gerry Butts [running in the election],” Mr. Cuzner said. “Gerry’s got zero interest in elected politics.”

https://www.hilltimes.com/2019/02/06/six-term-liberal-mp-cuzner-disappointed-not-included-cabinet-unsure-will-seek-re-election-october/187408
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( perhaps a sign of the crisis within the liberals , a high profile potential candidate from Hamilton has suddenly decided against running )

February 13, 2019 9:45 pm

Councillor Terry Whitehead decides against seeking federal Liberal nomination

900 CHML
Ken Mann By Ken Mann
Reporter 900 CHML

Ward 14 Councillor Terry Whitehead has ruled out a federal election bid on Hamilton Mountain.

Terry Whitehead will not be seeking the Hamilton Mountain federal Liberal nomination.

Whitehead, the city councillor representing Ward 14, announced his decision on his website, saying that “while the opportunity to possibility serve as your MP was humbling, the timing is not right for me. ”

The nomination meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Feb 20.

The party has approved three candidates to seek the nomination: lawyer Bruno Uggenti, party organizer and York University professor Shubha Sandill of Ancaster and teacher Anthony Macaluso.

Whitehead’s statement also thanks “all the dedicated Liberals who put my name forward for your amazing support”, while adding that he looks forward “to continuing to serve the people of Ward 14 as their City Councillor.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4959497/councillor-terry-whitehead-not-seeking-federal-liberal-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retirements don’t signal mass exodus of Liberal MPs, experts say

Andrea Gunn (agunn@herald.ca)

Published: 22 hours ago

News of the retirement of three long-tenured MPs in recent months have led some to wonder if there’s trouble brewing in the ranks of the region’s Liberal stronghold, but experts say that’s not the case.

After 19 years representing the Cape Breton riding of Sydney-Victoria, Mark Eyking announced last week last week that he would not be reoffering in the 2019 election, saying it’s time for him to move on.

The 58-year-old is the latest to announce his plans to retire from politics — in January, Scott Brison, who had served as MP for Kings-Hants for 22 years, said he would not be seeking re-election in 2019 and stepped down as president of the Treasury Board and as minister of digital government.

At the time he told The Chronicle Herald he wanted to spend more time with his young family and seek opportunities outside of politics. Then, earlier this month, Brison announced he was vacating his House of Commons seat effective Feb. 10. A few days later, BMO Capital Markets announced Brison accepted a position as the company’s vice-chair of investment and corporate banking.

The first to declare plans to step away from politics ahead of the 2019 election was Cumberland-Colchester MP Bill Casey back in September. Casey was first elected in 1988.

West Nova MP Colin Fraser is also not running in the upcoming federal election, citing a desire to return to his legal career. Fraser was first elected in 2015.

The succession of exits while the Liberals are clewing up their first term after nearly a decade under the Conservatives led some pundits to wonder if there is something more afoot.

“He’s not exactly a household name, but the decision by class-act [Mark Eyking] to leave as a Liberal MP in Cape Breton is a sign all is not well in the big red Atlantic Canada tent,” CTV Power Play host Don Mills tweeted last week following Eyking’s announcement.

But Tom Urbaniak, professor of political science at Cape Breton University, said he doesn’t necessarily see something larger at play.

“Each of these cases has to be actually looked at based on its own merits,” he said.

Casey, Brison and Eyking each served around two decades, Urbaniak said, which is a long time to serve as an MP.

“There is a moment about a year or 10 months before an anticipated election when, especially long-serving members of parliament, take stock. They think about the rest of their life, they think about what they achieved, they think about where they can accomplish the most good, they give additional thought to their families, and they make a decision,” he said.

The fact that the Liberals enjoyed a historic victory in 2015 in the Atlantic region where they won all 32 seats could factor into that decision-making process — in essence, these MPs are going out on a high note for the party, Urbaniak said.

He added that while some have speculated that Eyking’s decision might have been fuelled by feeling slighted about not getting a cabinet position in the cabinet shuffle triggered by Brison’s departure, he doesn’t agree.

“It’s not been my observation that [Eyking’s] morale depends on landing a cabinet post. . . . He’s a grassroots politician who gets the most satisfaction from resolving local issues working in communities and who just considers it an honour to be a member of Parliament,” Urbaniak said.

Don Mills, founder and former owner and CEO of Halifax-based polling company Corporate Research Associates, shared similar thoughts — he said all the departing MPs cases, there seem to be perfectly good reasons unrelated to any concerns about the electoral fate of the party.

At 73, it’s not really surprising that Bill Casey, a cancer survivor, is stepping away from politics to spend time with his family, and it’s a reasonable time for Brison, 51, with two young daughters, to be looking to change careers and move back into the private sector.

“The only trend I see is that we have three long long-term MPs who are making a life choice,” he said.

Brison has denied his decision to quit politics is related to his role in the high profile suspension and trial of Vice-Admiral Mark Norman, the military’s second-in-command. Norman has been accused of leaking cabinet secrets, and according to reports from The Canadian Press, Norman’s lawyers are expected to make Brison a star witness in the August trial.

St. FX political science professor Jim Bickerton said if there was any political motivation for the MPs’ departures, it wasn’t because they were worried about their own re-election since they all enjoyed popularity at the polls or represent safe Liberal ridings.

“The trouble for the Liberals is that in the case of Brison and Casey, the ridings were formerly Conservative seats, and could easily revert back to form now that these popular incumbents are no longer running,” he said.

While Urbaniak said he doesn’t see the Nova Scotia examples as a sign of some sort of mass exodus or collective resignation, he’s not certain that morale isn’t an issue overall as uncertainties mount about what the tone and major issues of the election will be as we move closer to that date.

“The Liberals will be very hard-pressed to repeat the performance in Atlantic Canada of the 2015 election,” he said.

“There will be, in all likelihood, some seats lost maybe many seats, laws depending on how the campaign unfolds. But it’s not my sense that the sitting Liberal MPs in Atlantic Canada are in a state of panic about their own electoral fate right now.”

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/local/retirements-dont-signal-mass-exodus-of-liberal-mps-experts-say-285236/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since the SNC lavalin scandal broke , news of people seeking liberal nominations has just about dried up . there has been very few if any stories

my guess is a lot of people in unheld ridings who were thinking about running . might be realising 2015 was there chance and that 2019 election is shaping up to be something much different and things in there local riding aren't looking so well

so it be interesting to see where this all goes and how the liberals go about filling up there candidate slate when faced with a massive scandal and lack of momentum
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( liberals seem to have returned to nominating candidates after being distracted by SNC lavalin for the past few weeks )

Liberal Sara Badiei launches election bid for Port Moody-Coquitlam

Badiei will vie for NDP MP Fin Donnelly's seat in the October federal election.

Stefan Labbé / Tri-City News
March 10, 2019 07:04 AM

Badiei at nomination

Badiei said she was inspired by an MP that helped reunite her immigrant family when she was a child.

Photograph By Stefan Labbé

The Liberal Party of Canada officially declared Sara Badiei its candidate for the riding of Port Moody-Coquitlam on Saturday, March 9, kicking off her campaign a full seven months before the federal election on Oct. 21.

Badiei comes from an engineering background, having started her career at BC Hydro working on grid-scale transmission planning.

She then spent a couple of years with a power company in California before jumping into a string of humanitarian positions — in Sub-Saharan Africa and the Philippines with Doctors Without Borders; in Afghanistan working to treat municipal water with the Red Cross; and in Jerusalem as an energy specialist with the World Bank.

Several Liberal MPs were on hand at Port Moody’s Old Orchard Hall to welcome Badiei’s nomination, including Coquitlam-Port Coquitlam MP Ron McKinnon, Burnaby North-Seymour MP Terry Beech, and Harjit Sajjan, Minister of National Defence and MP for Vancouver South.

While the Conservative Party has yet to choose its candidate for the Port Moody-Coquitlam race, on Friday, Coquitlam City Coun. Bonita Zarrillo launched her bid to represent the NDP in this year’s election.

Zarrillo will be competing against Sean Lee, who currently works as communications director of the electoral district’s executive. Both have less than three weeks to prepare for the NDP nomination scheduled on March 31.

The federal riding of Port Moody–Coquitlam was left wide open when NDP MP Fin Donnelly — who has held the seat for nearly a decade — announced in December he would not be running for re-election.

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/liberal-sara-badiei-launches-election-bid-for-port-moody-coquitlam-1.23659177
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamara Taggart to be acclaimed as Liberal candidate

Tamara Taggart
Tamara Taggart announced in December she's seeking the Liberal nomination in Vancouver Kingsway. (Facebook)

CTV Vancouver
Published Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:00AM PDT

Tamara Taggart will be acclaimed at an upcoming nomination meeting as a Liberal candidate in the next federal election.

The announcement comes a few months after Taggart announced she'd be seeking nomination in the riding of Vancouver-Kingsway. NDP health critic Don Davies has held the seat since 2008.

Taggart, who previously co-anchored CTV Vancouver's 6 p.m. newscast, said previously that she feels the riding is reflective of Canada as a whole.

"Everyone lives here," she said in a campaign video posted in December.

"I want to run for the Liberal Party of Canada because they stand for the environment, the middle class, jobs, gender parity. Those are all things that I stand for."

Taggart is also an Order of B.C. recipient, and co-anchored CTV News at Six from January 2011 to April 2018.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/tamara-taggart-to-be-acclaimed-as-liberal-candidate-1.4332614
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( also oddly the liberals have called a rushed nomination meeting in Nanaimo Ladysmith and calling it a by election nomination , a possible sign they actually plan to call one for the riding which was not expected )

UPDATE – Team Trudeau By-Election Nomination Meeting – Nanaimo–Ladysmith

As previously announced on March 10, 2019, the Team Trudeau By-election Nomination Meeting for Nanaimo–Ladysmith has been called.

Team Trudeau By-election Nomination Meeting – Nanaimo–Ladysmith

Saturday, March 16, 2019
Speeches: 1:00 PM | Vote: 1:45 PM – 3:00 PM

Beban Park Social Centre
2300 Bowen Rd,
Nanaimo, BC V9T 2B7

In order to vote, you must have been registered as a Liberal by March 8, 2019.

The Team Trudeau Nominations Process supports unprecedented new engagement with Canadians, the re-election of our dedicated Liberal team in Parliament, and the election of even more talented, diverse, and hardworking community leaders as Liberal MPs in 2019.

Our strong focus on community engagement stems from the Liberal Party’s commitment to building the most open and inclusive movement in Canadian politics. While the other parties still charge Canadians fees to join and participate in party affairs, the Liberal Party of Canada is the only federal political party that is open for Canadians to join at no cost.

Working together in the months ahead, the hope and hard work of Liberals across Canada will ensure our candidates and campaign teams are ready to earn another mandate from Canadians in 2019!

For more information about this meeting, identification requirements to vote, and the Team Trudeau 2019 Nominations Process, please click here.

Sincerely,

Brittney Kerr
National Campaign Committee Co-Chair
Liberal Party of Canada

https://www.liberal.ca/nomination-investiture/team-trudeau-by-election-nomination-meeting-nanaimo-ladysmith/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some liberal mp's refuse to say if there even running again )

Liberal MP Cuzner cagey on whether he will reoffer for Cape Breton-Canso

 Premium content

Nancy King (nancy.king@cbpost.com)

Published: 3 hours ago

Rodger Cuzner, Liberal MP for Cape Breton-Canso, says he is undecided as to whether he will seek re-election in this fall’s federal vote.

SYDNEY, N.S. — Rodger Cuzner says he is undecided as to whether he will seek re-election in this fall’s federal vote.

In an interview with the Cape Breton Post Thursday, the Liberal MP for Cape Breton-Canso, 63, said he is currently discussing his political future with his wife, Lynn. He said he intends to discuss his future in more detail with his family over the Easter weekend.

“If you were to ask me probably six months ago, I think I would have been content,” Cuzner said.

“It’s a demanding job, it requires 100 per cent of your focus and effort, so I just have to decide whether or not I’m willing to do that for another four years or two years, or offer myself for that period of time.

He noted his three sons are now all grown and on their own.

“It changes your own reality when you’re not racing home to drop off a car, get to a hockey game, and it’s pretty much yourself and Lynn,” he said.

Cuzner was passed over in the recent cabinet shuffle prompted by Scott Brison stepping down in favour of fellow Nova Scotia MP Bernadette Jordan who represents South Shore-St. Margarets. Cuzner admitted his disappointment but said he has moved on from it.

“Cabinet selection, there are a lot of things that go into that and I’ve had my conversation with the prime minister about that,” he said. “I ran to be the representative of the people in Cape Breton-Canso and that’s what I offered for in the last six elections and I’ve been fortunate that they’ve placed their trust with me and if I run again that’s what I’d be running for.

“I’m a Leafs fan, so disappointment is something I’ve dealt with quite a bit over the course of my life.”

One thing that Cuzner says is a cause for concern for him is the rise of the yellow vest movement. He added that he would be more than happy to run on the record of the Justin Trudeau Liberal government.

“I’m very proud of the work that we’ve accomplished as a government and I’d be willing to run on that,” he said. “I’m very comfortable bringing that to the people of Cape Breton-Canso.

Cuzner’s colleague, Sydney-Victoria MP Mark Eyking, who entered federal politics along with him in 2000, has already announced that he won’t seek re-election. The ridings of Cuzner and Eyking have in the past been described as being among the safest Liberal seats in Canada.

As far as the government’s handling of the SNC-Lavalin affair, Cuzner said he believes they were slow out of the gate in their response.

“Obviously, the concerns around solicitor-client confidentiality, the concerns around cabinet confidentiality, there wasn’t a whole lot the prime minister could say initially,” Cuzner said. “But she’s (Jody Wilson-Raybould) had an opportunity to share her story, she testified for four hours … I know Gerry (Butts, Trudeau’s former principal secretary) to be an honest, truthful person, a man of great integrity and the fact that two people take the same set of circumstances and view them in different light, that’s not uncommon.”

Cuzner said there were 42 freshmen MPs elected in 2000 and estimated that only about four of them remain.

“The attrition rate is fairly high for MPs anyway … if I decide that yes I’d like to offer myself up to represent the people of Cape Breton-Canso again, the main motivator for me would be that I believe in the prime minister and I’m proud of what he’s done,” he said. “If I decide not to it will be more based on personal reasons.”

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news/local/liberal-mp-cuzner-cagey-on-whether-he-will-reoffer-for-cape-breton-canso-292216/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals just nominated a candidate in Nanaimo Ladysmith although unclear if they plan to call a by election for the vacant riding )

Port Authority chairwoman voted to represent Liberals in Nanaimo-Ladysmith riding

By NanaimoNewsNOW Staff

March 16, 2019 - 4:08pm

Michelle Corfield was victorious in Satuday's Liberal Party nomination for the Nanaimo-Ladysmith riding.

Spencer Sterritt/NanaimoNewsNOW

NANAIMO — The Federal Liberal Party has a new face in the Nanaimo-Ladysmith riding.

Michelle Corfield, the Nanaimo Port Authority chairwoman, won the nomination on Saturday. One hundred and fifteen ballots were cast either for Corfield or her opponent Melissa Hall.

“Twenty-five years of federal legislation and the working to try to push the envelope from the outside, now I hope to be on the inside to be able to shape legislation and move Nanaimo-Ladysmith forward,” Corfield told reporters after a victory speech.

She said her platform will be based on creating legislation to promote good-paying jobs, the environment and supporting those who can't support themselves.

As of her nomination victory, Corfield is on a leave of absence from the Nanaimo Port Authority board.

The federal election is scheduled for the fall. There's been no word if Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will call a byelection for the riding after MP Sheila Malcolmson stepped down for a successful run at the Nanaimo MLA position.

https://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/611091/port-authority-chairwoman-voted-represent-liberals-nanaimo-ladysmith-riding

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  

Jump to: