Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonny Spina hopes to run in the next federal election

Longtime local cop has taken a leave of absence from the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service

a day ago by: SooToday Staff

Longtime local city cop Sonny Spina announced this morning he has entered the race for the Conservative nomination for the upcoming federal election.

Spina, who most recently handled media relations for the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service, is the second to announce their intention to seek the Conservative nomination for the Sault riding.

Winona Hutchinson announced in January she would be seeking the nomination.

The riding's current MP Terry Sheehan has been accliamed as the Liberal candidate for the Sault. No word yet on who is running for the NDP.

The federal election is scheduled to take place on or before Oct. 21.

The following is the full text of the news release Spina issued this morning:
Life-long Sault Ste. Marie resident, Sonny Spina, has joined the race to become the next candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada in the upcoming federal election.

“I know politics can be done differently” said Sonny. “We need elected officials that will lead by example. Sault Ste. Marie deserves strong passionate leadership in Ottawa, and it’s time we do something about it.”

Sonny’s three priorities are; lowering taxes, bringing urgently needed investments to Sault Ste. Marie, and working collaboratively with all levels of government, the business community and community stakeholders to help create a better economy and stable jobs, especially in the steel industry.

Advertisement

“My focus is and always will be on what’s good for Sault Ste Marie. I have a proven history of showing that by working together we can remove barriers and improve the quality of life for everyone.” “The reckless partisan ways of the Trudeau Liberals have let us down. I believe in this community and we all deserve better.”

“I have chosen to take an unpaid leave of absence from work and step forward because I will stand up for the community and people I believe in; the people of Sault Ste. Marie.”

Sonny was born and raised in Sault Ste. Marie and began a career as a police officer in 2002. Over the years he has dedicated his life in service to Sault Ste. Marie by leading many community organizations to incredible levels of success including;
•Chairing the United Way Campaign and raising over 1 million dollars to help local families struggling with poverty,
•Chairing the Algoma Family Services Foundation where he works with a team of dedicated individuals to assist local youth who suffer from mental health issues,
•Being a proud member of the Sault North Rotary Club and 100 Guys Who Care Sault Ste. Marie.
•Being a past volunteer with Big Brothers for over 10 years,
•Helping to plan and execute the Bon Soo Winter Carnival and Passport to Unity events as a director for Bon Soo,
•A director and coach for the Northern Heights Soccer League,
•A director for the Twinkie Foundation,
•A director for the Centre for Social Justice and Good Works
•Creating the Pedals for Possibilities Event where he cycled nearly 300 kilometres in 2 days and raised over $100,000 to help the local United Way Campaign, and;
•Creator of the new DU283 Duathlons that will promote tourism in Sault Ste. Marie while helping local youth at the same time.

“I look forward to meeting the residents of Sault Ste. Marie before this extremely important federal election. My goal is to listen to everyones concerns so that we can find new and innovative ways for us to work together and find solutions for local issues.”

To learn how you can get involved, or to become a party member you can reach Sonny anytime at Sonny4TheSoo@gmail.com.\

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sonny-spina-enters-federal-election-race-1311464
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonny Spina hopes to run in the next federal election

Longtime local cop has taken a leave of absence from the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service

a day ago by: SooToday Staff

Longtime local city cop Sonny Spina announced this morning he has entered the race for the Conservative nomination for the upcoming federal election.

Spina, who most recently handled media relations for the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service, is the second to announce their intention to seek the Conservative nomination for the Sault riding.

Winona Hutchinson announced in January she would be seeking the nomination.

The riding's current MP Terry Sheehan has been accliamed as the Liberal candidate for the Sault. No word yet on who is running for the NDP.

The federal election is scheduled to take place on or before Oct. 21.

The following is the full text of the news release Spina issued this morning:
Life-long Sault Ste. Marie resident, Sonny Spina, has joined the race to become the next candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada in the upcoming federal election.

“I know politics can be done differently” said Sonny. “We need elected officials that will lead by example. Sault Ste. Marie deserves strong passionate leadership in Ottawa, and it’s time we do something about it.”

Sonny’s three priorities are; lowering taxes, bringing urgently needed investments to Sault Ste. Marie, and working collaboratively with all levels of government, the business community and community stakeholders to help create a better economy and stable jobs, especially in the steel industry.

Advertisement

“My focus is and always will be on what’s good for Sault Ste Marie. I have a proven history of showing that by working together we can remove barriers and improve the quality of life for everyone.” “The reckless partisan ways of the Trudeau Liberals have let us down. I believe in this community and we all deserve better.”

“I have chosen to take an unpaid leave of absence from work and step forward because I will stand up for the community and people I believe in; the people of Sault Ste. Marie.”

Sonny was born and raised in Sault Ste. Marie and began a career as a police officer in 2002. Over the years he has dedicated his life in service to Sault Ste. Marie by leading many community organizations to incredible levels of success including;
•Chairing the United Way Campaign and raising over 1 million dollars to help local families struggling with poverty,
•Chairing the Algoma Family Services Foundation where he works with a team of dedicated individuals to assist local youth who suffer from mental health issues,
•Being a proud member of the Sault North Rotary Club and 100 Guys Who Care Sault Ste. Marie.
•Being a past volunteer with Big Brothers for over 10 years,
•Helping to plan and execute the Bon Soo Winter Carnival and Passport to Unity events as a director for Bon Soo,
•A director and coach for the Northern Heights Soccer League,
•A director for the Twinkie Foundation,
•A director for the Centre for Social Justice and Good Works
•Creating the Pedals for Possibilities Event where he cycled nearly 300 kilometres in 2 days and raised over $100,000 to help the local United Way Campaign, and;
•Creator of the new DU283 Duathlons that will promote tourism in Sault Ste. Marie while helping local youth at the same time.

“I look forward to meeting the residents of Sault Ste. Marie before this extremely important federal election. My goal is to listen to everyones concerns so that we can find new and innovative ways for us to work together and find solutions for local issues.”

To learn how you can get involved, or to become a party member you can reach Sonny anytime at Sonny4TheSoo@gmail.com.\

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sonny-spina-enters-federal-election-race-1311464
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Rachel Wilson is the new cpc candidate in York Centre , a riding in the 416 the cpc won in 2011 and lost with 43 % of the vote in 2015 , obviously a top target in Toronto )

Rachel Willson‏ @rachelbwillson · 11h11 hours ago

Victory! Thank you to all of my friends and supporters in York Centre and beyond. It is time to turn York Centre Conservative blue again!! #cdnpoli @CPC_HQ
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Coun. Michael van Holst seeks federal Conservative nomination in London-Fanshawe

980 CFPL
By Jacquelyn LeBel
News Announcer 980 CFPL

Roughly three months into his second term as a city councillor, Michael van Holst has confirmed his intention to jump into federal politics.

Van Holst is seeking the federal Conservative nomination in London-Fanshawe.

New Democrat Irene Mathyssen currently represents the riding, though she announced last year that she would not be seeking re-election.

Speaking Monday morning on the Craig Needles Show, van Holst said the idea was brought to him about a month ago, and after discussing with his wife, he decided to go for it.

“I have no control over the timing of the election. Being a candidate wasn’t really my idea, but it was an opportunity that opened up and I decided to pursue it,” he said.

The nomination period closes March 21, and a Conservative candidate will be decided upon by the end of the month. If chosen, van Holst said he would continue to serve as councillor and take an unpaid leave of absence when the writ drops.

“Other people do this with a full-time job and a family to raise. I’ve got neither of those obligations,” he explained.

“Four and a half years ago, I quit my teaching job just to do this full-time because I wanted to do this all in. I am very committed to what is happening in the ward.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/5043956/michael-van-holst-federal-conservative-nomination-london-fanshawe/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelowna-Lake Country Tory nomination heats up as registration deadline closes

Rob Munro

Renee Wasylyk, left, and Tracy Gray are the two candidates in the running for the federal Conservative nomination for the riding of Kelowna-Lake Country.

March 11, 2019 - 8:00 PM

KELOWNA - Whoever wins the Conservative Party nomination for Kelowna-Lake Country has a great chance to be the Member of Parliament so it makes sense that it's become contentious.

Renee Wasylyk and Tracy Gray are two strong candidates in the final stretch. They had until March 9 to sign up new members and Wasylyk says the drama from Ottawa with SNC-Lavalin and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau hasn't hurt.

“I think people are interested, I think they are activated, they’re engaged with the conversation and what is going on,” Wasylyk said. “With all the media that are focused politically, it is really helpful in having people ask questions and look for answers."

It's only a nomination meeting, but you know it's a big one when dirty tricks are spreading through social media and even draw in real politicial rivals, like Liberal Party members. Wasylyk brushed off rumours on social media that a Liberal faction was invading the nomination and the "Trudeau-supporting friends" were helping Wasylyk defeat Gray.

“I don’t believe that’s the case. I haven’t witnessed that or seen that," she said. “What I do find is people are throwing their weight behind me, which is great. And I’m humbled by how many people have come out to meet and greet, have let me hear their stories and have honoured me with emails and phone calls and Facebook messages, etc.”

The deadline for new voting members for the riding association was March 9 but the vote is April 6.

“I can only imagine the other team is working as hard and doing as well so, I think, it’s going to be absolutely spectacular,” she said.

When interviewed by iNFOnews.ca two weeks ago, Wasylyk said there were about 1,400 party members in this riding. That number was not confirmed by the local riding association, which has not responded to numerous requests for information.

Wasylyk said the number of eligible voters likely won’t be known until about March 14 as some memberships are mailed in.

She expects the riding association to stage a debate between the two candidates but doesn’t have any details yet.

The vote will be held at the Ramada Inn on April 6 with each candidate allowed a five-minute speech starting at 10 a.m. then leaving the building for the duration of the voting, Wasylyk said.

Gray was not available for comment.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/kelowna-lake-country-tory-nomination-heats-up-as-registration-deadline-closes/it60343
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a candidate has emerged in kenora , a riding in need of a new one as Greg Rickford is now the MPP )

Melillo seeks PC party nomination

 Print

 Category: Local News  Published: Wednesday, 13 March 2019 05:00  Written by Ryan Forbes

Just ahead of his 21st birthday, Eric Melillo of Kenora has announced that he is seeking the Conservative Party’s nomination for the upcoming federal election. Photo courtesy of Eric Melillo.

20-year-old Eric Melillo of Kenora has announced that he is seeking the Conservative Party’s nomination for the Kenora riding, ahead of the upcoming 2019 federal election. He says that his goal is to bring a new, strong voice to represent the Kenora riding in Ottawa.

“I’ve been going around the riding and meeting with people. What I’ve been hearing, is that they want some new representation and ideas in Ottawa. That’s what I’m going to bring to the table. I feel that I have a strong understanding of our issues and our unique needs in northwestern Ontario. I want to bring back some strong representation for the riding, and some new ideas to get us moving forward.”

Melillo’s application has been submitted with the party, although, local PC members will have to vote on and approve the eventual candidate if any other PC party members also choose to seek the nomination.

“I think this is an important election. I really believe that we need a new, strong voice in the riding. Someone who will strongly-represent us. That’s what I’m going to bring to the table.”

The soon to be 21-year-old - who is currently finishing his final year at Lakehead University in their Economics program - has long-been involved with the PC party and local politics.

He has experience working in Kenora – Rainy River MPP Greg Rickford’s constituency office for the party, and created and operated Lakehead’s Progressive Conservatives Campus Club during his post-secondary career in an effort to bring more youth into the political world. He later transitioned into the club’s Treasurer, using skills learned through his economics background.

“That was one of the first things that I wanted to do when I got to Lakehead. I realized we didn’t have one and I took it upon myself to start one. It’s a great way to get younger people involved in politics. It was a fun experience.”

Melillo also has experience with the Northern Policy Institute, who partners with municipalities to allow students the experience to learn about public policy debate - leading to the development of sustainable communities in Northern Ontario.

Melillo served in the Kenora riding through the Experience North program. In late 2018, he authored a study into food insecurity, increased travel costs and a lack of infrastructure in the region, and how to better develop northern Ontario’s growing economy.

The 2019 federal election is set for October 21. Locally, Melillo is the first to announce a candidacy bid for any respective party.

At the federal level, Justin Trudeau will seek re-election for the Liberals, Andrew Scheer is representing the PC party, Jagmeet Singh is running for the NDP, Maxime Bernier is leading the People’s Party of Canada, Elizabeth May returns as the leader of the Green Party, and Yves-Francois Blanchet is running for the Bloc Quebecois party.

https://www.drydennow.com/local/melillo-seeks-pc-party-nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives prepare to choose new candidate for Langley-Aldergrove

About a dozen people are considering running for MP Mark Warawa’s job
Matthew Claxton/
Mar. 12, 2019 6:00 a.m./
Local News/
News

The race is on to replace departing Conservative Langley-Aldergrove MP Mark Warawa, with the official selection of a new candidate expected this spring.

“There’s been some interesting people that have put their names forward,” said James Pratt, president of the Conservative’s Langley-Aldergrove electoral district association.

The official nomination process won’t open for a few weeks, but Pratt said already between 10 and 12 people have picked up the lengthy nomination form, and a number have set up websites or Facebook pages to campaign for support from their fellow party members.

Warawa announced last year that he would retire from serving in Parliament after the current term. He has been the MP for the Langley riding, later adjusted and renamed Langley-Aldergrove, since 2004.

His departure has set off a flurry of interest among local Conservatives in running for the nomination.

Pratt said it’s unknown how many of the people picking up forms will fill them out and go through with the process, but at least four have already set up a web presence and announced their intention.

Those already campaigning for the nomination include:

• Teresa Townsley, of the Festina Lente Estate Winery

• Kim Houlind, a staffer for Warawa who started her own home cleaning company

• Natalie Hilder, who has a skin care line and has written articles for online publications

• Benjamin Neff, whose Twitter bio describes him as a policy wonk, historian, and consultant

Getting the nomination doesn’t just mean getting the support of local party members.

Those wanting to run must first get 25 signatures from Conservative members, and then be vetted by a Candidate Nomination Committee. Party headquarters in Ottawa has to sign off as well.

The official nomination period, followed by the vote by local members, will take place sometime in the next few weeks, Pratt said.

The goal is to get all the Conservative candidates in place across the country sometime in late April or early May, Pratt said.

His job is to remain neutral during the candidate selection, but Pratt said he was pleased with the people putting their names forward.

“Langley’s been fortunate that we’ve always had a lot of people who have been really interested in the process,” he said, adding that Warawa had “set the bar quite high.”

Some of those putting their names forward have been longtime members of the riding association and volunteers, while others were new to him, but have excellent resumes, Pratt said.

The Cloverdale-Langley City riding has already selected its Conservative candidate, with Tamara Jansen set to take on Liberal incumbent MP John Aldag in the election scheduled for this October.

https://www.aldergrovestar.com/news/conservatives-prepare-to-choose-new-candidate-for-langley-aldergrove/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominations open for Langley-Aldergrove Conservative race

Longtime MP Mark Warawa is stepping down at the Conservative candidate.
Matthew Claxton/
Mar. 18, 2019 1:30 p.m./
Local News/
News

The nomination race for the next Conservative candidate in the Langley-Aldergrove riding has officially kicked off.

James Pratt, the president of the local electoral district association, announced that nominations will be open until March 28th.

Those wishing to vote for a candidate for the local riding have to be a member of the Conservative Party already, or to purchase a membership by April 4.

Even before the announcement of the official start of the race last week, several candidates had been putting their names forward, and Pratt said between 10 and 12 had picked up nomination packages.

Those who have already tossed their hats into the ring include:

• Teresa Townsley, of the Festina Lente Estate Winery

• Kim Houlind, a staffer for Warawa who started her own home cleaning company

• Natalie Hilder, who has a skin care line and has written articles for online publications

• Benjamin Neff, whose Twitter bio describes him as a policy wonk, historian, and consultant

• Steve Schafer, a TWU grad and local entrepreneur

The race for the nomination was sparked by the upcoming resignation of Mark Warawa, the Conservative MP who has held the Langley-area riding for 15 years.

https://www.aldergrovestar.com/news/nominations-open-for-langley-aldergrove-conservative-race/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( perhaps a major upset an unknown candidate Harzadan Khattra has won the Dufferin Caledon cpc nomination one of the safest seats in the province and often given to party leaders looking for an easy seat into the provincial legislature
he beat 3 better known candidates including a former mayor and councillor to win the nomination . )

HARZADAN KHATTRA WINS DUFFERIN-CALEDON CONSERVATIVE NOMINATION

March 20, 2019 06:38 am

“Let’s go into this election keeping Dufferin-Caledon blue.”

That was the message from Derek Clark, chair of the Dufferin-Caledon Conservative nomination committee, as he announced Harzadan Singh Khattra as the new Conservative candidate for the riding early Wednesday morning (Mar. 20).

Outgoing Conservative MP David Tilson was in attendance to congratulate Khattra on his victory. Tilson is retiring at the end of the term.

Khattra plans to hit the campaign trail right away.

Khattra defeated Kevin Weatherbee, former Orangeville mayor Jeremy Williams and former Caledon councillor Barb Shaughnessy.

https://www.orangevilletoday.ca/rss/harzadan-khattra-wins-dufferin-caledon-conservative-nomination/#
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( perhaps a major upset an unknown candidate Harzadan Khattra has won the Dufferin Caledon cpc nomination one of the safest seats in the province and often given to party leaders looking for an easy seat into the provincial legislature
he beat 3 better known candidates including a former mayor and councillor to win the nomination . )

HARZADAN KHATTRA WINS DUFFERIN-CALEDON CONSERVATIVE NOMINATION

March 20, 2019 06:38 am

“Let’s go into this election keeping Dufferin-Caledon blue.”

That was the message from Derek Clark, chair of the Dufferin-Caledon Conservative nomination committee, as he announced Harzadan Singh Khattra as the new Conservative candidate for the riding early Wednesday morning (Mar. 20).

Outgoing Conservative MP David Tilson was in attendance to congratulate Khattra on his victory. Tilson is retiring at the end of the term.

Khattra plans to hit the campaign trail right away.

Khattra defeated Kevin Weatherbee, former Orangeville mayor Jeremy Williams and former Caledon councillor Barb Shaughnessy.

https://www.orangevilletoday.ca/rss/harzadan-khattra-wins-dufferin-caledon-conservative-nomination/#
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I was personally expecting one of the other 3 candidates to win , especially considering the crowd at the meeting appeared to be a mixture of older white men and women , perhaps the vote split among the 3 better known candidates )

CONSERVATIVES TO ELECT NEW FEDERAL NOMINEE FOR DUFFERIN-CALEDON, FEDERAL BUDGET TO BE INTRODUCED TUESDAY

March 19, 2019 10:51 am

It’s a busy day in federal politics.

Meantime in Dufferin-Caledon, a new Conservative candidate will be selected at a nomination meeting being held at the OAS Event Centre.

Kevin Weatherbee, Barb Shaughnessy, Jeremy Williams, and Harzadan Singh Khattra are vying to succeed longtime Conservative MP David Tilson, who is retiring at the end of this term.

Tonight’s nomination meeting is expected to wrap up at around 9:30 p.m.. myFM News will have the results as soon as they’re released.

https://www.orangevilletoday.ca/rss/conservatives-to-elect-new-federal-nominee-for-dufferin-caledon-federal-budget-to-be-introduced-tuesday/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( also a nomination meeting in Etobicoke Lakeshore , Barry O'Brien is the new cpc nominee )

EtobLakeCPC‏ @EtobLakeCPC · 3h3 hours ago

Congratulations to Barry O'Brien nominated last night in Etobicoke Lakeshore. Well done Barry. On to Ottawa
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egmont Conservatives choose Logan McLellan as candidate

Colin MacLean (colin.maclean@journalpioneer.com)

Published: 20 hours ago
Updated: 15 hours ago

Summerside's Logan McLellan will be the Conservative Party of Canada's candidate in Egmont. - Contributed

SUMMERSIDE, P.E.I. — Logan McLellan will be the Conservative Party of Canada’s candidate for Egmont in the upcoming federal election.

McLellan got the job by acclamation as he was the only candidate to come forward and be vetted by the party. The deadline for other candidates to speak up passed on March 14.

McLellan said in a press release that he is humbled by the opportunity and pledged to do his utmost to represent Egmont and the party that has put its faith in him.

“Over the past six months, I have been to every corner of western P.E.I., and it’s been a great experience to talk with so many people who are passionate about our part of the province”, he said.

“I am not a conventional politician – I am here to be a direct point of contact for Egmont on a national level.

“I approach this role professionally, with no excuses and no fabricated answers. I’m motivated to help create positive change, and with a new mindset we can do great things together for western P.E.I.”

Egmont Conservative Riding president Barry Balsom welcomed McLellan to the team.

“Logan will be a strong voice for Egmont. He is a young man with lots of energy and focus and really wants to serve the people,” said Balsom.

“Voters do not want to be represented by people who have spent a lifetime in politics – they want youth and freshness and a new perspective. Logan brings all that to the table.”

McLellan works in the financial planning industry and has gained a social media following in the past by using outside-the-box social media campaigns.

He noted that he has been canvasing across Egmont for several weeks already and the predominant themes he has been hearing at the doors include housing, the economy, mental health services, support for seniors and opportunities for youth.

A pre-campaign kick-off event where McLellan will officially be declared the Conservative candidate will be held at 7 p.m. at the Mill River Resort on March 26.

The incumbent for Egmont is Liberal MP Bobby Morrissey who entered federal politics in 2015 after a long career in provincial politics.

https://www.journalpioneer.com/news/local/egmont-conservatives-choose-logan-mclellan-as-candidate-293953/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Coun. Michael van Holst to be federal Conservative candidate in October election

Coun. Michael van Holst has clinched the Conservative nomination in London-Fanshawe ahead of the October federal election.

Megan Stacey
Updated: March 22, 2019

Ward 1 councillor Michael van Holst. (Derek Ruttan/The London Free Press)

Coun. Michael van Holst has clinched the Conservative nomination in London-Fanshawe ahead of the October federal election.

The city councillor, re-elected for a second term by a landslide less than six months ago, said Friday he’d take an unpaid leave of absence from his Ward 1 gig once the writ is dropped.

“It’s city council business as usual for the most part, until the writ is dropped. Unlike other councillors, I don’t have a full-time job or a family to raise, so I’m free to campaign and do the part-time councillor job as well,” he told The Free Press.

“BRT (bus rapid transit) is more on my mind these days,” he added.

Van Holst’s acclamation as the Conservative candidate in the riding means he’ll take on NDP nominee Lindsay Mathyssen, vying to become her mother Irene Mathyssen’s successor.

Dave Dillon, southwest regional organizer for the Conservative Party, was not immediately available for comment.

Van Holst knocked off former councillor Bud Polhill in the 2014 election, joining a council of 11 rookie politicians. He beat out Polhill again in October’s race, picking up 2,581 votes compared to Polhil’s 1,179. Van Holst was also challenged in the 2018 municipal election by Melanie O’Brien, the runner-up who works as a constituency assistant for MP Mathyssen.

“It’s been a privilege to work with the community groups at such a grassroots level, and municipal government makes so many things happen that tangibly affect people, so it’s been very gratifying. There would be some mixed emotions about (moving to the federal level),” van Holst said.

But he isn’t concerned about his obligation to constituents being questioned if he doesn’t win in October, he said.

“As someone who quit their teaching job to pursue this part-time position full-time for four years, I don’t think commitment should really be a question. I have been all in for the city of London and my ward and should I get to the federal level I will be all in again.”

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/coun-michael-van-holst-to-be-federal-conservative-candidate-in-october-election
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives drop parachute candidate in Port Moody-Coquitlam, dividing local Tories

Nelly Shin moved to Coquitlam after she was bumped from her riding of Richmond Hill, Ontario, and now local Tories are sounding off that the CPC tried to clear her path to acclamation by pushing out local candidate Matthew Sebastiani.

Stefan Labbé / Tri-City News
March 22, 2019 04:16 PM

Either Matthew Sebastiani (left) or Nelly Shin (right) will take the CPC Port Moody-Coquitlam nomina

Matthew Sebastiani and Nelly Shin are both seeking the CPC nomination for Port Moody-Coquitlam.

Photograph By Facebook campaign pages

The Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) has parachuted an Ontario candidate into Port Moody-Coquitlam, dividing local supporters and adding intrigue to a riding primed for a hotly contested race in October's federal election.

In the fight to replace longtime NDP MP Fin Donnelly, who in December announced he would not seek re-election, local Tories will be voting for one of at least two candidates: Nelly Shin, 46, who was once in line for a Conservative nomination in the Toronto riding of Richmond Hill; and Matthew Sebastiani, 26, a recent MBA grad, former advisor to Conservative Sen. Yonah Martin and first-time candidate who was born and raised in the Port Moody-Coquitlam riding.

In what has been described as a domino effect, the trigger for Shin’s move to Coquitlam came Sept. 17, 2018, when then-Liberal MP Leona Alleslev dramatically crossed the floor of the House of Commons, defecting to the Conservatives.

At the time, Alleslev represented Aurora-Oakridge, the Toronto riding adjacent to Richmond Hill. As Canada lurched closer to the 2019 electoral season, a kind of political musical chairs began, with Alleslev staying put in her riding as a Tory and her one-time competitor — senior CPC candidate Costas Menegakis — bumping Shin from the adjacent riding of Richmond Hill.

“When I saw that, I had to think of next steps immediately,” Shin told The Tri-City News. “One of the things that ran through my mind was, this would be a great way to go back to British Columbia.”

Shin said she first visited British Columbia in 2003 on her summer vacation from her job as an English teacher at a Toronto public school.

“I walked into a recording studio in North Vancouver and recorded a demo with Barney Bentall and the Legendary Hearts,” she said.

In 2008, five years later, Shin quit teaching, sold her condo in Toronto and began a stint of missionary work in places like Los Angeles and New England. It wasn’t until 2012 that she first moved to B.C., spending three years as a singer in Victoria before moving back to Toronto in time for the 2015 federal election.

“Somehow, I got involved helping with the Conservatives,” she said. “Sometimes, [there are] things in life where you can't control the timing but sometimes the timing happens for you.”

By September 2018, Shin had gone from accessory to an election campaign to a candidate for nomination. That’s when she got bumped from Richmond Hill, she said, likening her second move west with a quote from the famous Robert Frost poem “The Road Not Taken.”

When asked what she would do if she lost the nomination or, if she wins that, the election, she said politics only opened the door for her to come back to B.C.

“Looking at the big picture, I'm going to stay,” said Shin, who has been renting part of a house in Coquitlam since November.

Some local Conservatives have welcomed Shin into the riding — she has been officially endorsed by former Coquitlam city councillor Terry O’Neill; Tim Laidler, the CPC's Port Moody-Coquitlam candidate in 2015; and David Bassett, president of the Conservative funding apparatus BCBlue.

But for some local Tories, Shin’s unexpected arrival has raised red flags, suggesting the political domino effect is not over.

In January, two months after Shin arrived in Coquitlam, a CPC representative approached Sebastiani and asked him to bow out of the Port Moody-Coquitlam nomination process, several sources told The Tri-City News.

Phil Chau, president of the Conservative Port Moody-Coquitlam Electoral District Association, said the encounter was brought to his attention by one of the association’s board members.

“People were like, 'Ottawa people are coming in asking Matthew to step aside.' I was like, 'OK, that's a concern. Let's bring it up. Let's talk about it at the board meeting.' Then we discussed it at the board meeting. And that's all I'm going to say,” he told The Tri-City News, adding that he is only concerned with ensuring a free and fair nomination process.

Chau said a date has not been set for the nomination meeting in which party members will choose either Shin or Sebastiani.

In an email to The Tri-City News, Cory Hann, director of communications for the CPC, did not comment on whether the party pressured Sebastiani to step aside, stating that "our nominations are fair and open, and we run them according to our nomination rules and procedures..."

Local interference from Tory operatives in Ottawa worries Conservatives like Maria Javier, who unsuccessfully ran for the PoMo-Coquitlam Tory nomination in 2015.

During the last election cycle, Javier said, the Conservative Party held several events that exposed the candidates to their voter base. “There’s nothing now. Everything is so quiet,” she said.

And while Chau said the relative silence can be attributed to the fact the Tories are no longer in government, Javier openly worries that the nomination process is being manipulated.

“It's given me the fear. They are powerful people [in Ottawa]. And because the nomination has not been called... it's still an open field,” said Javier, who recently penned an open letter to fellow Tories expressing her concerns.

Javier said she's also concerned about the impression parachuting a candidate in from the other side of the country will give local voters.

“Maybe from the standpoint of the party, it's a common thing. But from the standpoint of a voter, that's the very first basic question that you ask: How will you fight for us? You don't even know who we are. You've never lived here. You don't know what's happening here,” she said.

“It's something that the man on the street does not understand.”

For his part, Sebastiani said he has no plans to bow out of the Conservative race for nomination, saying, “I still think I can win.”

https://www.tricitynews.com/news/conservatives-drop-parachute-candidate-in-port-moody-coquitlam-dividing-local-tories-1.23768215

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  

Jump to: