Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: did PMO pressure Wilson Raybould on SNC Lavalin Reply with quote

( there is a story out today from the Globe and Mail which claims former Justice Minister Judy Wilson Raybould had been pressured by the PMO to abandon prosecution of SNC Lavalin a quebec based company and that this might be the real reason she was moved out of Justice )

Trudeau denies report of PMO interference in justice case

Postmedia News

Published:
February 7, 2019

Updated:
February 7, 2019 9:59 AM MST

Filed Under:

Calgary SUN ›
News ›
Canada ›

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau embraces Minister of Justice Jody Wilson-Raybould during a swearing-in ceremony at Rideau Hall, in Ottawa in a November 4, 2015, file photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian WyldAdrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS

The political scene in Ottawa was rocked by a bombshell story released Thursday morning alleging political interference by the Prime Minister’s Office in a major justice matter.

“Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s office attempted to press Jody Wilson-Raybould when she was justice minister to intervene in the corruption and fraud prosecution of Montreal engineering and construction giant SNC-Lavalin Group Inc, sources say, but she refused to ask federal prosecutors to make a deal with the company that could prevent a costly trial,” the Globe & Mail reports in the shocking story.

A couple of months later, Wilson-Raybould was removed from her post in a cabinet shuffle.

A week ago, former SNC-Lavalin CEO Pierre Duhaime pleaded guilty to what the Canadian Press described as “a charge of helping a public servant commit breach of trust for his role in a bribery scandal around the construction of a $1.3-billion Montreal hospital.”

Former SNC-Lavalin CEO Pierre Duhaime leaves a courtroom in Montreal on Friday, February 1, 2019. Duhaime has pleaded guilty to a charge of helping a public servant commit breach of trust for his role in a bribe scandal around the construction of a $1.3-billion Montreal hospital. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson

“Duhaime was the last defendant in a major corruption and fraud case involving the McGill University Health Centre Project. His trial had been schedule to start next week.

Trudeau denied the report during a stop in Vaughan.

“Neither the current nor the previous attorney general was ever directed by me or anyone in my office to take a decision in this matter,” he said. Asked whether he or his office had applied any influence or pressure on the minister, Trudeau repeated that they had never directed Wilson-Raybould or Lametti to intervene.

Experts and political observers were quick to weigh in Thursday morning.

“If this is true, 1. Extremely grave conduct by PMO, showing disregard of critical principle of prosecutorial independence. 2. Minister (Raybould) did exactly the right thing – the Attorney General has obligation to protect this sort of independence,” Craig Forcese, a University of Ottawa law professor, posted to social media.

Liberal strategist and former war room director Warren Kinsella didn’t mince words: “This is corruption at the highest levels of government.”

https://calgarysun.com/news/national/report-of-pmo-interference-in-justice-case-rocks-political-scene/wcm/411fd5bd-15bd-4592-b7e3-482b607b3c6e
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the article would seem to be here but you need to be a Globe and Mail subscriber to read it in full )

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-pmo-pressed-justice-minister-to-abandon-prosecution-of-snc-lavalin/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudeau denies report his office pressured attorney general to help SNC-Lavalin

The Canadian Press

Published: 3 hours ago
Updated: 20 minutes ago

OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is denying that his office told former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to help SNC-Lavalin avoid a criminal prosecution.

The Quebec engineering and construction giant has been facing legal trouble over allegations it paid millions of dollars in bribes to get government business in Libya, which would be a crime under Canadian law.

As attorney general, Wilson-Raybould could have become involved in the case against the company by directing federal prosecutors to negotiate a "remediation agreement," a way of undoing damage without admitting the company itself was at fault for things particular employees did.

The Globe and Mail newspaper reports that SNC-Lavalin repeatedly lobbied Justin Trudeau's aides for a deal and that his office leaned on Wilson-Raybould to make it happen.

No remediation agreement was made and Wilson-Raybould was moved to the veterans affairs post in a January cabinet shuffle. Montrealer David Lametti took over as attorney general and justice minister.

During a visit to Vaughan, Ont., today, Trudeau said the allegations in the newspaper story "are false."

"Neither the current nor the previous attorney general was ever directed by me or anyone in my office to take a decision in this matter," he said. Asked whether he or his office had applied any influence or pressure on the minister, Trudeau repeated that they had never directed Wilson-Raybould or Lametti to intervene.

Neither Wilson-Raybould nor SNC-Lavalin has immediately responded to questions from The Canadian Press about the story.

https://www.capebretonpost.com/news/regional/globe-pmo-pressured-justice-minister-to-help-snc-lavalin-avoid-prosecution-282405/
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Lavalin, I have no doubts they had someones ear in an attempt to mitigate their actions.

Lavalin has a long history of bad things. Dont ask me how I know.

IF any of this is true, then action needs to be swift and severe. One does not mess with the legal system in any way like this.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 2h2 hours ago

The lobbyists registry is crystal clear: PM Trudeau’s senior advisor Mathieu Bouchard was in frequent contact with SNC Lavalin all last year — in communication at least once a month all year long. Morneau, Carr, Champaign, Other PMO/PCO officials also talked to SNCL.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal community raises alarms over allegations PMO interfered in SNC-Lavalin case

By Marieke Walsh. Published on Feb 7, 2019 7:06pm

TORONTO — The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is calling for a police investigation into bombshell allegations that Justin Trudeau’s office interfered in the criminal case against SNC-Lavalin.

“Messing with the administration of justice is not just bad politics. It may be a crime,” CCLA executive director Michael Bryant said in a statement Thursday.

Earlier in the day, the Globe and Mail reported that the Prime Minister’s Office urged then attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to intervene in a corruption case against the Quebec engineering and construction services company. The criminal case centres on allegations the company paid millions in bribes to secure government contracts in Libya.

The Globe reports the prime minister’s office wanted SNC-Lavalin to avoid going to trial and instead get a deal that would allow the company to pay a fine but admit no criminal wrongdoing. The deal is known as a “deferred prosecution agreement,” or a “remediation agreement, and was only made legal in Canada last year.

The Globe story claims that Wilson-Raybould resisted pressure to intervene with the Public Prosecution Service’s decision to proceed with a trial. A few months after that decision was made, she was moved from the justice and attorney general’s office to become the new minister of veterans affairs.

Trudeau denied the report at a Thursday morning press conference in Vaughan.

“The allegations in the Globe story this morning are false,” he said. “Neither the current nor the previous attorney general was ever directed by me or by anyone in my office to take a decision in this matter.”

However, the Globe didn’t report that a direct request was made only that Wilson-Raybould faced “heavy pressure.”

Asked about that distinction, Trudeau repeated his original comment, and didn’t rule out that his office pressured the attorney general. Wilson-Raybould has not commented on the allegations.

In a follow-up interview with iPolitics, Bryant, a former Liberal attorney general for Ontario, said the police either need to investigate the allegations or explain why they aren’t being investigated.

“I’d be surprised if a police investigation was not commenced,” he said. “A lot of police officers have laid a lot of obstruction of justice charges on a lot of ordinary Canadians, with a lot less evidence than this.

“These allegations as they stand in the report right now — while denied by the prime minister — fall within the four corners of obstruction of justice,” Bryant said.

Despite multiple requests for comment, the RCMP has not yet told iPolitics whether it is reviewing the allegations.

Trudeau’s answers on interference allegations making matters worse: professor

The prime minister’s carefully worded denial further damages the government’s position, according to University of Calgary law professor Michael Nesbitt.

“This response actually makes this whole thing worse,” Nesbitt tweeted. “The concern has always been ‘influence’ not ‘direct.’ The difference is between ‘corrupt’ and ‘stupid and corrupt,’ and the former is harder to detect, weed out & correct.”

University of Ottawa law professor Jennifer Quaid told iPolitics she was “astounded” by the allegations.

“If it was true, it just seemed like a very naked attempt to secure a particular outcome in a particular criminal case,” she said. “It is important that those with power not be able to circumvent or bend the rules when it suits them.”

Without restraint from those in power, she said the trust that’s required for the justice system to work wouldn’t be there.

Quaid said the allegations would be concerning no matter who was at the centre of the case, but it’s all the more significant because it involves a major Canadian company in a politically significant province.

“It’s not just some random political interference, it’s political interference on behalf of an already powerful entity and one can wonder what the larger agenda is there,” Quaid said.

These concerns are precisely why Bryant said the Canadian Civil Liberties Association is speaking out.

“The reason why CCLA cares about this is you can’t have two different justice systems, one for everybody else and one for the powerful,” he said.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/02/07/legal-community-raises-alarms-over-allegations-pmo-interfered-in-snc-lavalin-case/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the former Justice Minister refuses to comment on the matter )

Cormac Mac Sweeney‏Verified account @cmaconthehill · 20m20 minutes ago

NEW: Former Justice Minister @Puglaas has released a short statement on the SNC/PMO influence story. “As the former Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, I am bound by solicitor-client privilege in this matter.” #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AG sees no justification for probe of alleged PMO interference in SNC-Lavalin case

Rachel Aiello, Ottawa News Bureau Online Producer

@rachaiello
Published Saturday, February 9, 2019 7:00AM EST

OTTAWA -- Current Justice Minister and Attorney General David Lametti said there has been no evidence to justify a committee investigation into whether or not Prime Minister Justin Trudeau or anyone in his office tried to have former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould abandon the prosecution of a case against SNC-Lavalin.

"All we've heard are allegations in a newspaper," Lametti, who replaced Wilson-Raybould when she was shuffled into the Veterans' Affairs portfolio last month, told CTV's Question Period host Evan Solomon.

"The prime minister has said that these allegations are false. We haven't had any corroborating evidence there. There hasn't been anything to my mind that justifies a committee investigation."

Despite this stated view, Lametti said that "it's up to the committee to do what it wants to do."

The opposition parties are pushing for an emergency meeting of the House Justice Committee to consider a motion that would call on Wilson-Raybould, Lametti, and several other high-profile government officials to testify.

"I'll let the committee decide. The committee is the master of its own docket. But certainly from what I have seen, and what the prime minister has said, I can reassure Canadians that there has been nothing inappropriate that has happened," Lametti said.

The call for this study was prompted by a bombshell Globe and Mail report that the Prime Minister's Office tried to get Wilson-Raybould to ask prosecutors to make a deal in the corruption and fraud case against the Quebec-based engineering and construction company.

According to the Globe, Wilson-Raybould was unwilling to play along and did not follow through despite the high-level pressure. CTV News has not independently verified the story.

The bombshell report prompted intense backlash in the House of Commons, with the Conservatives framing Wilson-Raybould's ministerial move as a demotion for not following the PMO’s orders, while the NDP said the Globe’s report proves that the Liberals offer special treatment to their wealthy friends.

Among the staffers that the Conservatives and NDP want to hear from at the committee: Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister Gerald Butts; Senior Advisors Elder Marques and Mathieu Bouchard; and Wilson-Raybould’s chief of staff Jessica Prince.

"Given the disturbing reports of political interference by the Prime Minister's Office in the functions of the Attorney General of Canada, and given the minister of Veterans Affairs recent comments that ‘It is a pillar of our democracy that our system of justice be free from even the perception of political interference and uphold the highest levels of public confidence, the committee hold no fewer than four meetings," reads the motion.

'Where there's smoke there's fire'

On CTV's Question Period, Conservative Deputy Leader Lisa Raitt said that because these allegations have been made, it's incumbent that the committee hears from those believed to be involved to get a full picture of what happened.

"It's not like nothing was happening where there's smoke, there's fire," Raitt said, adding that the Liberals on the committee better support the motion otherwise "they look like their hands are completely dirty… It's going to come out and if it's not going to be through a parliamentary process and it's not going to be through the ethics Commissioner, it's going to be something else."

NDP MP Nathan Cullen echoed this, calling the committee vote on the motion "the moment of truth."

He said if nothing happened, they should be comfortable coming before the committee and saying so.

"Until we get answers we need to try every tool in the toolbox to try to pull those answers out of government," Cullen said.

David Lametti

No need to recuse, yet

Lametti said he is basing his denial -- and the denial repeated from various Liberals over the last few days -- that there was "no direction and no pressure" on the words of the prime minister.

"The prime minister has said that he did not direct my predecessor, so I'm basing it, I'm basing it on what he has said publicly," Lametti said.

Asked if he thinks he should recuse himself from the matter as the current AG, Lametti said he sees "no reason."

"There hasn't been any reason to recuse myself in any discussions that I have privy to up until now. Obviously, if there is ever a case where I feel that there's some sort of conflict, personal conflict on my part, or situational conflict, I'll recuse myself. But I don't see any now. I certainly haven't seen any yet," Lametti said.

The NDP have asked Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion to investigate this case.

"Obstruction of justice charges have been brought against Canadians with far less evidence than we already have here," Cullen said.

In an email to CTV News, former ethics czar Mary Dawson said that while the time it takes to complete an investigation can vary based on the circumstances, "it usually, but not always, takes more time than six or seven months" for an investigation to be completed.

Hasn't spoken to his predecessor

Cullen said that Wilson-Raybould's silence so far has meant many outstanding questions have remained unanswered.

"Who spoke to Jody Wilson-Raybould about this SNC-Lavalin case? Did they ask her to take this plea option out which would give the opportunity to the company for billions of dollars in contracts? And was it because of that refusal… was she then fired?" Cullen said.

On Friday Wilson-Raybould said as the former AG she is "bound by solicitor-client privilege in this matter."

Asked if he had spoken to his predecessor about whether or not she felt pressured regarding this case, Lametti said he hasn't, and doesn't plan on doing so.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ag-sees-no-justification-for-probe-of-alleged-pmo-interference-in-snc-lavalin-case-1.4289301
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a Toronto Star article reveals the Liberals will not allow a parliamentary committee to probe the matter so its unclear how it will be investigated further )

Eddie Brock‏ @proWesternLocal · 4m4 minutes ago

So it's a coverup. --> "Justin Trudeau’s government will not...permit a parliamentary committee to proceed with its own investigation, the Star has learned."
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen LeDrew: Meddling in the justice system could be Trudeau's end

If the shocking allegations are true that the PMO pressured the former justice minister to cut a deal for the party’s corporate friends, he has no choice but to resign

Special to National Post

Stephen LeDrew

February 8, 2019
1:33 PM EST

Filed under
Full Comment

The Globe and Mail broke the story this week saying that the prime minister’s office pressured the former Justice Minister — Jody Wilson-Raybould — into cutting a special deal for the huge Quebec corporation, SNC Lavalin, which is facing charges for bribing officials in Libya to win juicy government contracts there.

The report is that the attorney general resisted the prime minister’s office’s urging her to order prosecutors to avoid a trial and instead offer what’s called a “remediation agreement.” SNC Lavalin has been lobbying hard for that agreement because it would spare the multinational corporation from facing corruption charges, which halt its ability to do business in a number of countries, including securing lucrative government contracts in Canada.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/stephen-ledrew-meddling-in-the-justice-system-could-be-trudeaus-end
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story goes back to Lavelin's behaviour in Libya, which is in a part of the world where bribes are a fact of life if you want to get government contract. Personally, I don't think this is a crime so much as a business expense.

That's what the were accused of in the first place. And, to me, this is another extra-territorial extension of the law.

That doesn't obviate the probability/possibility that the PMO "pressured" the DoJ in which case the minister ought to be invited into the Conservative Party. She's doing the right thing legally, and for the party (by keeping her mouth shut). Trudeau is gaslighting, a reasonably good indication that he's misleading the public (again).

The problem is ... TC claims our judiciary is independent of government, so the story can't possibly be true. What is Justin going to tell China, after all? Sadly signs of guilt are often enough in the Court of Public Opinion.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUEST COLUMN: Andrew Scheer wonders what Trudeau hiding in SNC-Lavalin affair

Special to Toronto Sun

Published:
February 10, 2019

Updated:
February 10, 2019 8:14 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
Opinion ›
Columnists ›

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer is pictured earlier this year in the House of Commons.THE CANADIAN PRESS

ANDREW SCHEER

“One of the most important things about my approach in politics has been creating a level of accountability, of transparency, of openness, of honesty that means admitting when mistakes were made, taking responsibility for them, and fixing them in an open matter.”

Justin Trudeau spoke those words five years ago — setting the tone for what he pitched to Canadians as a new way of doing politics.

“Openness and transparency will be our constant companions, and we will work to restore Canadians’ trust in their government and in our democracy.”

He said that when he was sworn in as Prime Minister.

Canadians took this Prime Minister at his word. They trusted him to be who he said he would be. And he has betrayed them.

The allegations levelled last week against Justin Trudeau and his office are grievous and strike at the very heart of our rule of law.

For the last three years, SNC-Lavalin has aggressively lobbied key government officials for a special deal that would see it avoid criminal prosecution on bribery charges.

The government responded last year, when it wedged into the budget bill a new legal provision that would give SNC-Lavalin exactly what it wanted.

The use of that provision is at the discretion of the Director of Public Prosecutions and last October, that office informed SNC-Lavalin no special deal was coming.

That should have been the end of it. It was only the beginning.

Unhappy with that result, the Prime Minister’s Office allegedly pressured the Attorney General to overrule due legal process by granting this Liberal-friendly corporate giant the special deal it had long sought after and then firing her when she courageously refused to do so.

(Canadians owe Jody Wilson-Raybould a debt of gratitude for holding true to her principles and protecting the rule of law when her political masters allegedly implored her to abandon it.)

The level of corruption implied is truly staggering.

Since these allegations were published, Parliament has sought answers. For two days, MPs on all sides of the house grilled the government’s front bench in question period (Mr. Trudeau was curiously absent). For two days, we got nothing.

So we took the next step. We have forced an emergency meeting of the Justice Committee to vote on a motion calling on nine key government officials to testify before all Canadians about what happened in this case. That meeting will take place this week, but the government has already indicated it will block this attempt at transparency.

Wilson-Raybould has claimed solicitor-client privilege prevents her from disclosing the advice she gave to the government in the SNC-Lavalin matter. So, I personally wrote to Trudeau demanding he waive that privilege, as prime ministers both Liberal and Conservative have done in the past when Canadians demanded answers on matters of ethics and public confidence.

However, given the stonewall treatment we’ve encountered thus far, his blithe contempt for past pledges of transparency, and the willingness of his new Attorney General to protect him, I’m not optimistic he will do so.

Which naturally begs the question of what Trudeau is trying to hide. In his only public statement on the matter, he repeated a carefully crafted and legally vetted line which, in essence, claimed his innocence in the matter.

If he is innocent, if Trudeau is indeed telling the truth, waiving privilege and having his officials testify at committee would surely absolve him and his office of any wrongdoing.

The longer he and his government avoid accountability, the more it looks like he is covering up the truth.

Trudeau the candidate was a relentless cheerleader for openness and accountability, promising a whole new era of open government to win votes.

On this, Trudeau the prime minister has become a fraud. He is now on the run, trying his best to avoid the very things he once promised to champion.

I will not let him get away with this.

If he shuts down Parliamentarians, as it appears he will, I will use every possible political, legal, and investigative option to get the answers Canadians demand.

One way or another, he will be held to account.

— Andrew Scheer is the leader of Conservative Party of Canada and Member of Parliament for Regina-Qu’Appelle

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/guest-column-andrew-scheer-wonders-what-trudeau-hiding-in-snc-lavalin-affair
Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS-0IcR40Wc

Around the 5 minute mark, it reveals that in 2015, one of the first things the Liberals did was to provide for a bit of law that allowed SNC Lavalin to bid on contracts despite their record. Then, in the 2018 budget, they created the legal means for the company to avoid
criminal prosecution through the DPA, which means that this is a long-term corrupt relationship.

Scheer also has some 'splaining to do. How's he any different. He may be no different.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some internet coverage from a foreign source. It is a nice bit of video because it shows Trudeau essentially responding to every question from journalists with the same crafted answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJ6PFLqFq0

It also explains the law as it applies to this situation.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( NB Saint Jonhs MP Wayne Long appears to have broke ranks with the government and calling for an investigation , although article appears to be under a pay wall )

Adam Huras‏ @adamhuras · 3h3 hours ago

BREAKING: New Brunswick MP calls for investigation into own government’s prime minister’s office amid SNC-Lavalin allegations
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/telegraph-journal/story/100846978/?nopromo=1 … #NB #Cdnpoli

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: