Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Notley also likely doesn't want an election as the polls continue to show a big UCP lead over the ndp )

UCP Lead Over NDP; Notley’s Approval Ratings Improve

January 22, 2019|Mainstreet Research|Alberta Issues, Featured, Public Polling

22 January 2018 (Ottawa, ON) – The United Conservative Party maintain nearly a 25% lead over the governing NDP, while Rachel Notley’s approval ratings have improved since November.

Those are the findings from Mainstreet Research’s latest UltraPoll, a conglomeration of ten provincial polls. The poll surveyed 893 Albertans between January 15th and 16th 2019. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 3.28% and is accurate 19 times out of 20.

“Both the governing NDP and the UCP have lost some support since our last Alberta poll in November,” said Quito Maggi, President and CEO of Mainstreet Research.

Among decided and leaning voters, the UCP with Jason Kenney as leader have 52.3% (-2% from Mainstreet’s November poll), while the governing NDP led by Rachel Notley have 27.8% (-1.3%). The Alberta Party led by Stephen Mandel have 7.7% (+2.2%), and the Alberta Liberal Party with David Khan at the helm have 6.1% (+0.9%).

The Green Party of Alberta led by Cheryle Chagnon-Greyeyes has 3% (+0.3%), while Derek Fildebrandt’s Freedom Conservative Party has 2.4% (-0.1%).

The poll also asked about the favourability ratings of five of the party leaders and found that Notley has a -12.4% net favourability rating while Kenney has a +6.6% rating.

But Maggi notes that these numbers are a big improvement for Notley since November and that this should give the NDP some hope in the next election.

“In November we found a 35% gap between Notley and Kenney in terms of net favourability, but this month the gap between the two has narrowed to 19%”, said Maggi.

The amount of Albertans that have a positive impression of Notley (36.9%) is roughly the same as those who think positively about Kenney (39.7%) with the difference being within the margin of error.

“The UCP is polling higher than Kenney’s favourability numbers again this month, while Notley is polling above the NDP this month,” concluded Maggi. “This shows that Notley is clearly an asset to the NDP, while the same can’t be said for Kenney and the UCP.”

https://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/ucp-lead-over-ndp-notleys-approval-ratings-improve/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the alberta ndp is now removing the name " NDP " from there social media posts and replacing it with a Rachel Notley logo instead )

January 28, 2019 7:52 pm Updated: January 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Alberta NDP doubles down on Notley branding

By Michael King
Digital Journalist Global News

WATCH: The Alberta NDP is replacing the party logo in some social media posts with one featuring the premier’s name, a smart move, according to some political analysts. Michael King reports.

The Alberta NDP is doubling down on Premier Rachel Notley’s popularity by emphasizing the leader over the party.

Since November, the party has been announcing its candidates for the upcoming (but date yet-to-be-announced) election and posting their photos on Twitter.

But instead of an NDP logo in the corner, each photo features Notley’s name.

A recent poll suggests this may be a smart strategy for the NDP.

The lastest Mainstreet research poll showed the United Conservative Party has a 22.9 per cent lead over the NDP (48 per cent for the UCP, 25.1 per cent for the NDP).

But when asked whether they have a favourable or unfavorable opinion of the two leaders, the results are much closer (36.9 per cent favorability for Notley, 39.7 per cent for Kenney).

The poll surveyed 898 Albertans between Jan. 15 and 16, and has a 3.28 margin of error.

Quito Maggi, CEO of Mainstreet Research, said how Albertans perceive potential leaders may play a bigger role than party alliances on election day.

“A predictor of what will happen on election day is the favorability that we saw between Rachel Notley and Jason Kenney,” said Maggi, “not so much what we’re seeing on the party level.”

In a statement to Global News, Roari Richardson, the provincial secretary for Alberta’s NDP, said the logo is not new.

“This is not new branding; in fact, we’ve used the Rachel Notley logo for a number of years,” said Richardson. “Every election campaign is different but it will always reflect who we are and what our party stands for.”

This isn’t the first time a party has focused its branding on the leader.

The former Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta adopted the brand “Ralph’s Team” during the 1993 election.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4899668/alberta-ndp-doubles-down-on-notley-branding/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(the rebel is claiming to have seen slides from a secret ndp meeting which indicate an election call is coming soon )

January 30, 2019

EXCLUSIVE: Secret Alberta NDP cabinet meeting photos suggest early election

Keean Bexte
Rebel Contributor

The Rebel Media has received exclusive information about the possible timing of the Alberta provincial election.

There's been speculation that there could be an early election call, and that there could be a late election call - after all, the legislature has the authority to support Rachel Notley’s government for five years.

From a source in Edmonton, The Rebel received pictures of a presentation being given in the Cabinet Room of the Alberta legislature that seem to indicate that the election call might be days away.

The photos were taken from the street outside of the legislature. Here is what the presentation slide says:

Most responsive tactics (molding tier 1 narrative to tier 2 to narrative) are not schedule here. Neither are most responsive campaigns - which we will decide on, and build on the fly.

This timeline is structured for a compressed, 60-day schedule, assuming a writ drop in mid February and an E day in mid March.

The final two weeks are left more open (from a scheduled content perspective) to dictate best message tactics in real-time, alongside GOTV initiatives.

Frankly, I'm stunned that someone was able to get this photo. I confirmed the veracity of this photo with sources inside the legislature, but just because the photo is real doesn't mean the information in it is real. Maybe NDP Premier Rachel Notley and her cabinet are playing games.

There is a chance the whole thing is an elaborate scheme by the NDP itself to plant disinformation in The Rebel, to discredit us. They truly are obsessed with us, and they’re masters of dirty tricks.

However, if this is genuine, and the election will be called on or around February 15, with election day on March 15, that’s less than 30 days away. That means that as you read this, we could already be in the NDP Cabinet’s “narrative” timeline. Have you noticed an increase in government announcements? I have.

If this is, in fact, the case — if Rachel Notley and her team are really already campaigning, knowing that they are going to call a snap election — they are abusing tax dollars, using them for partisan purposes to inflate their election prospects. If this is true, it is incumbent on Rachel Notley to drop the writ today, and quit wasting Albertans’ money to campaign.

We can’t be certain which scenario is real. Only time will tell, but you heard it here first: you might be seeing lawn signs popping up across Alberta in less than 14 days.

https://www.therebel.media/exclusive-alberta-ndp-election-bexte-rebel-media-notley-politics-news
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me crazy,
But the Federal NDP could do a lot worse than Rachel Notley or Andrea Horwath.

I would imagine if the NDP loses, she will likely resign as leader on election night making her available.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Call me crazy,

I would imagine if the NDP loses, she will likely resign as leader on election night making her available.

the alberta ndp or Rachel Notley party seems to be going full on delusional , they don't seem to get it and somehow think things are going to turn out different than what every single poll for the last 2 or 3 years has been saying

I think she already said she plans to keep her seat as mla regardless of the election outcome

whatever happens the ndp are clearly going to lose seats this year , so many of there mla's aren't even running again and some of the seats they won in 2015 , they won with like 30 % of the vote , that isn't happening this year
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Call me crazy,

the alberta ndp or Rachel Notley party seems to be going full on delusional , they don't seem to get it and somehow think things are going to turn out different than what every single poll for the last 2 or 3 years has been saying

I think she already said she plans to keep her seat as mla regardless of the election outcome

whatever happens the ndp are clearly going to lose seats this year , so many of there mla's aren't even running again and some of the seats they won in 2015 , they won with like 30 % of the vote , that isn't happening this year

I don't think its delusion more so than its simply politicians playing politics;

Kathleen Wynne standing in front of a podium after nearly two years of damning polls in the middle of an election campaign to declare that the Liberals were toast and she wasn't going to get re-elected is one of the most significant political oddities I have seen in the last decade.

What Wynne did was hardly the norm in politics regardless of the political stripe;
You usually smile till the end and then resign on election night.

I cannot imagine the Alberta NDP behind closed doors is having strategy sessions for their next four years in power, they know baring something highly unusual they are likely cooked.

As for Notley saying that win, lose, or draw she will hang around as an MLA;
If Vegas has odds against that, I would slide a few bucks on it.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Call me crazy,

I don't think its delusion more so than its simply politicians playing politics;

Kathleen Wynne standing in front of a podium after nearly two years of damning polls in the middle of an election campaign to declare that the Liberals were toast and she wasn't going to get re-elected is one of the most significant political oddities I have seen in the last decade.

What Wynne did was hardly the norm in politics regardless of the political stripe;
You usually smile till the end and then resign on election night.

I cannot imagine the Alberta NDP behind closed doors is having strategy sessions for their next four years in power, they know baring something highly unusual they are likely cooked.

As for Notley saying that win, lose, or draw she will hang around as an MLA;
If Vegas has odds against that, I would slide a few bucks on it.

true it be highly unusual for a political party to admit publically they were going to lose

although I'm pretty sure I recall reading an article from Alberta where the ndp admitted some time ago they weren't going to get back in and just using the time they had to try and make ndp favourable changes to the province which would be hard to undue

at this point if the ndp was even able to manage an official opposition of 20 or so seats I think they should consider that a good result . when you consider the fact they had between 2 and 4 seats not that long ago in the same legislature
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Stop campaigning with our tax dollars': Kenney urges NDP government to call election now

Window for issuing election writ opened Friday

Dave Dormer · CBC News · Posted: Feb 01, 2019 1:32 PM MT | Last Updated: February 1

UCP Leader Jason Kenney called on the NDP to call a general election now. Under the province's fixed-date election legislation, the next provincial election must be held sometime between March 1 and May 31, 2019. (Audrey Neveu/CBC)

307 comments

On the first day an Alberta election can legally be called, UCP Leader Jason Kenney held a rally in Calgary urging the NDP to call the provincial election now and "stop campaigning with our tax dollars."

"Launch the election today," Kenney said from the Westin Hotel in downtown Calgary, accusing Rachel Notley's NDP of making daily announcements of "unbudgeted" spending commitments.

"Since coming to power, the NDP has wasted tens of millions of tax dollars on ad campaigns designed to promote the NDP, rather than inform the public about critical government services," Kenney said.

"They spent over $9 million, for example, on ads telling Albertans why they should support the NDP's carbon tax, the same carbon tax they hid from Albertans in the last election. But guess what, it didn't work. Two-thirds of Albertans still oppose the job-killing NDP carbon tax.

"Now they're spending millions more on their so-called Made in Alberta ads, which are an unvarnished NDP pre-election campaign with zero value for taxpayers."

Under the province's fixed-date election legislation, the next provincial election must be held sometime between March 1 and May 31, 2019. Once the writ has dropped, the election campaign periods in Alberta last 28 days — which made Feb. 1 the first day that writs could be issued.

'Right now, we are the government'

The NDP shot back in an afternoon press conference.

"The premier will decide when the election gets called," said Deron Bilous, MLA for Edmonton-Beverly-Clareview. "I know Mr. Kenney may think he's already the premier, but Albertans will decide that in the spring election."

Deron Bilous, MLA for Edmonton-Beverly-Clareview, held a news conference Friday. Bilous was responding to UCP Leader Jason Kenney, who urged the NDP to call the election rather than campaign with taxpayer dollars. (CBC )

Legislation limits third-party advertisers to $150,000 in spending during the election advertising period, which runs from Dec. 1 in the year before a general election until polling day.

"We didn't do any announcements during the byelections," Bilous said. "But you know, right now we are the government, and we are continuing to govern until election day.

Kenney said the NDP campaigned in 2015 on getting big money out of Alberta politics but hasn't followed through.

"Instead, their campaign is being run with the biggest money, government money, that belongs to taxpayers, not the NDP."

If elected, Kenney said, he would pass an "End Partisan Government Advertising Act."

"It will empower the auditor general to prohibit, at any time, government advertisements that are deemed to be partisan, and it will ban all non-essential government advertising leading up to an election, starting Dec. 1, before an election year," he said.

Kenney also announced that if elected to power, the UCP would review "all contracts signed by the NDP government from [Feb. 1] to election day."

"A government that is openly campaigning during the legal campaign period should only sign contracts that are strictly necessary," he said. "We will not allow the NDP to get away with signing sweetheart deals with their friends in the dying days of this government."

Bilous took offence at the "sweetheart deals" reference, pointing to big projects like the Green Line LRT and the new cancer centre for Calgary.

"I mean, critical infrastructure that will help save lives is a sweetheart deal, yet giving away a $700-million tax cut to the wealthiest one per cent — think that's a little rich."

Nearly 180,000 Albertans out of work

Since being elected in 2015, the NDP government has done "great damage" to the provincial economy, Kenney said.

"Since they came to office, nearly 180,000 Albertans are out of work," he said.

"We've seen the net loss of 58,00 private sector jobs. Our monthly payrolls province-wide are down by a billion dollars. Tens of billions of dollars of investment have fled Alberta."

Bilous painted a different picture, predicting a greater loss of investment capital if Kenney becomes premier.

Companies that are interested in investing in Alberta's energy sector would disappear, because they've said to us, 'we require the government to level the playing field.' There is a role for government, and simply returning to a flat tax is not going to attract that kind of investment."

He added that Kenney's promise of cancelling the carbon tax would have dire consequences.

"Mr. Kenney is is announcing that, first of all, he would repeal the price on carbon," Bilous said. "Well there goes the Calgary Green Line. There goes the Edmonton LRT."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-election-ucp-ndp-kenney-notley-1.5002540
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Alberta Party leader has now been deemed ineligible to run due to a paperwork mix up )

Alberta Party leader Stephen Mandel deemed ineligible to run until 2023

Alberta Party leader one of several candidates given 5- and 8-year bans by Elections Alberta

CBC News · Posted: Feb 08, 2019 10:29 PM MT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

Stephen Mandel says he will ask an Alberta court to overturn a five-year ban on running imposed by Elections Alberta because of a paperwork issue. (Jason Franson/Canadian Press )

Alberta Party leader Stephen Mandel is one of several candidates declared ineligible to run in the coming provincial election, according to a list released by Elections Alberta.

But Mandel believes there was a deadline mixup from Elections Alberta and plans to continue campaigning and fight the ban in court if necessary.

Mandel is one of seven Alberta Party candidates listed on the Elections Alberta website as being ineligible related to the "2018 nomination contest," a list that includes six candidates endorsed by the party. Another seven Alberta Party members are listed as ineligible to act as a chief financial officer. Eight people from other parties are listed as well — six from the United Conservative Party and two from NDP, though none of those candidates secured their party's nomination.

Those listed serve an ineligibility period of five or eight years.

"Effective Date is the date the financial statement was filed (five-year penalty) or the date the speaker laid the report before the committee (eight-year penalty)," the website states.

Mandel, the Alberta Party leader and candidate for Edmonton-McClung, is listed as having a five-year ineligibility period ending on Sept. 27, 2023, which would make him not able to run in the next two provincial elections in Alberta. The ban was imposed because of late paperwork, though Mandel suggested there was confusion about the deadline for filing.

In a statement sent to media Friday night, Mandel says he respects the decision of Elections Alberta but the party plans to fight the ban.

"While this is concerning, we also believe there is confusion about the actual due dates this paperwork is due to Elections Alberta," reads the statement. "Because the penalties for late filing are so serious, we have also applied to Court of Queen's Bench to review and rule on this matter as soon as possible."

Elections Alberta requires that financial statements be received by 4:30 p.m. four months after the date of conclusion for a nomination contest. Mandel's nomination contest in Edmonton-McClung was held on May 12, 2018. That means the financial statement needed to be filed by Sept. 12, but Mandel's statement is stamped as received on Sept. 27. Both CFO Brian Heidecker and Mandel signed and dated the document on Sept. 24.

However, Elections Alberta sent a letter to Mandel dated July 13, 2018 that states that campaign period ended on July 12, 2018. A letter sent Feb. 3 from Miller Thomson LLP, Mandel's legal counsel, points out the discrepancy.

"There is an obvious inconsistency between the CEO's letters and the Election Alberta standard Return form as to the proper calculation of the nomination contest conclusion date and the corresponding Return filing deadline," the Feb. 3 letter states.

The Miller Thomson LLP also notes a potential discrepancy between the date Elections Alberta states Mandel was endorsed as an official candidate by the Alberta Party — which is May 12, 2018 — and the date that party records say Mandel was selected — which is May 23, 2018.

The statement from the Alberta Party says Mandel's status as party leader is unchanged. Mandel is scheduled to have a media availability at 2 p.m. Saturday in Edmonton.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-election-stephen-mandel-1.5012721
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I don't think that I've ever heard of a major party leader being DQ from running in a general election over minor paper work issues )

Stephen Mandel regrets missing deadline that led to five-year election ban

Clare Clancy
Updated: February 9, 2019

Alberta Party Leader Stephen Mandel at a news conference in Edmonton on Saturday, Feb. 9, 2019. Jason Franson / The Canadian Press

Alberta Party Leader Stephen Mandel says he only recently learned that his paperwork hadn’t been filed on time with Elections Alberta after missing a September deadline that resulted in a five-year ban from running. He plans to take the issue to court.

“My CFO was sick,” Mandel said at a Saturday news conference, adding he learned of the problem on Jan. 30. “He missed some of the dates. That’s part of the reason we’re here today.”

In a July letter sent to Mandel, Elections Alberta spelled out a Sept. 12 deadline for him to file his campaign expenses for his nomination contest in Edmonton-McClung. The paperwork was filed on Sept. 27.

Chief financial officer Brian Heidecker, who has since retired, was tasked with tracking the expenses, which were limited to $10,000 under election rules.

“It was a zero return. There was no money being raised or spent,” Mandel said.

Five other Alberta Party candidates face bans

Five other Alberta Party candidates were also listed as ineligible to run by Elections Alberta. Candidates Ali Haymour, Diana Ly, Amrit Matharu, Moe Rahall and Rachel Timmermans also each face a five-year ban.

The list generally includes candidates who have failed to file their financial statements on time. Though there are UCP and NDP candidates included on the list, none are currently endorsed candidates vying for a party seat in the upcoming election. Some, for example, were nomination candidates who lost their races.

Legislation gives nomination candidates a four-month window to file their campaign returns. If the deadline is missed, Elections Alberta files a report with the Speaker naming the candidates and outlining the penalties.

Not filing automatically results in a $500 fee. But more serious penalties include a five-year ban from running, or an eight-year ban for failing to file at all.

“I regret we’re in this situation, and I appreciate the importance of the rule of law and getting our paperwork in on time,” Mandel said.

The former Edmonton mayor and Progressive Conservative cabinet minister said he has applied to the Court of Queen’s Bench, but admitted the party missed the filing deadline.

“We think that this is a big mistake that was made, and we believe the court will correct it and we’ll move on,” he said.

Mandel said he’s paying his own legal bills.

“We’ll help them go to court,” he said, suggesting that the party will provide financial help to the other candidates if they pursue the matter.

Alberta Party argues legislation unclear

The party has taken issue with the deadlines outlined in legislation, arguing that Mandel’s paperwork was filed within four months of the end of his nomination contest.

“Mr. Mandel’s contest closed two months after he was selected,” said a letter sent from Mandel’s lawyer to Elections Alberta, arguing that it would mean the campaign statement was due in November.

Elections Alberta said the nomination contest was held May 12, 2018, which set out the September deadline.

When reporters asked Mandel what he’ll do if he can’t resolve the issue in court, Mandel said other options will then be considered.

“We will deal with a Plan B at that point in time,” he said. “Right now our plan is to go to court.”

Premier Rachel Notley has yet to call a provincial election, but could have dropped the writ as early as Feb. 1 launching a 28-day campaign period. She is expected to call an election for between March 1 and May 31.

“We all know this is a new piece of legislation, this is the first time it’s being challenged,” Mandel said. “I look forward to getting this resolved as soon as possible.”

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/stephen-mandel-says-big-mistake-in-missing-deadline-that-led-to-five-year-election-ban

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: