Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't give a link for the date of Meng's charges ...
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops....sorry about that.

A timeline of the cases of Meng Wanzhou and the Canadians detained in China
The Canadian Press
The Canadian Press
December 28, 2018
4:49 PM EST

Last Updated
December 28, 2018
4:49 PM EST

OTTAWA — A timeline of the Meng Wanzhou case, and rising tension between Canada and China.

Aug. 22: A New York court issues a warrant for the arrest of Huawei Technologies chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/a-timeline-of-the-cases-of-meng-wanzhou-and-the-canadians-detained-in-china-3
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess you are right on this one point, but I cant find out whether or not the charges were sealed or not. Why would Meng come to Canada if she knew she would face this mess?

But I am not altering my position. I still think the way out of this was to let her go on her own recognizance and if she chose to flee, we say Oopsy-Doopsy.

As I understand the way extradition works is that we extradite people only if what they have done is a crime in Canada. Further, ever since the Peace of Westphalia, it has been the case that states can only prosecute people for acts committed within their territory.

Quote:
General recognition of the exclusive sovereignty of each party over its lands, people, and agents abroad, and responsibility for the warlike acts of any of its citizens or agents. Issuance of unrestricted letters of marque and reprisal to privateers was forbidden.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Westphalia

This treaty was agreed to in 1648. This is the basis of diplomacy in the whole world.

If Canada has no choice but to let Justin's gang off the hook, then we have no "sovereignty". We are, as the Chinese have said, a vassal state. Which do you like better?
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Well, I guess you are right on this one point, but I cant find out whether or not the charges were sealed or not.

We know what the charges are so I presume they weren't.
Quote:
Why would Meng come to Canada if she knew she would face this mess?

I guess she didnt think we would arrest her.

She knew since April of 2017 that the US was criminally investigating her .
Quote:

But I am not altering my position. I still think the way out of this was to let her go on her own recognizance and if she chose to flee, we say Oopsy-Doopsy.

The problem there is that doesn't work for us in the long term. The repercussions would , or could, be severe when the time comes that we need someone to be detained.
Quote:

As I understand the way extradition works is that we extradite people only if what they have done is a crime in Canada.
That is correct .

Fraud is a crime in Canada and so we have little choice than to do what was requested to us.

Quote:

If Canada has no choice but to let Justin's gang off the hook, then we have no "sovereignty". We are, as the Chinese have said, a vassal state. Which do you like better?

Well , first off, JT has virtually nothing to do with this. (SNC Lavalin aside) This is for the legal group our country employs.

We are not a vassal state in any way shape or form .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  

Jump to: