Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Bruce Grey Owen Sound cpc mp Larry Miller retiring Reply with quote

( another long time conservative mp from rural Ontario has decided to retire )

Long-time local Conservative MP calling it a career

Conservative MP Larry Miller
Conservative MP Larry Miller is seen in this file photo.

Scott Miller, CTV London
Published Friday, January 18, 2019 11:52AM EST

One of the federal Conservative Party's longest serving MPs is calling it quits.

Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound MP Larry Miller told a crowd of supporters in Owen Sound Friday morning that he will not be seeking re-election next October.

The 62-year-old was first elected in 2004, and held the riding through the next four federal election campaigns.

Miller is married with three grown children and four grandchildren.

He told the crowd he just felt it was time to retire and spend more time with his family.

There’s already someone seeking to continue the Conservative winning streak in Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound.

Tara-native and retired Colonel Alex Ruff has announced he’ll be seeking the Conservative nomination in the riding.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/long-time-local-conservative-mp-calling-it-a-career-1.4259424
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miller announces farewell from federal politics

Scott Dunn Scott Dunn
More from Scott Dunn

Published on: January 18, 2019 | Last Updated: January 18, 2019 12:15 PM EST

Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound MP Larry Miller in a scrum with reporters after he announced he won't run for re-election in the upcoming federal election. He announced the news at the Julie McArthur Regional Recreation Centre on Friday, January 18, 2019 in Owen Sound, Ont. Scott Dunn/The Owen Sound Sun Times/Postmedia Network

After almost 15 years and five federal election wins, Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound MP Larry Miller announced Friday he’ll retire at the end of this term.

The plain-spoken retired beef farmer spoke emotionally at times about the recent loss of his father and how his job required him to be away during other important family moments too. He’s lost the “fire” in his belly and so it’s time to leave, he said.

Miller made the announcement in the front lobby of the Julie McArthur Regional Recreation Centre, which he obtained infrastructure funding for to build it almost 10 years ago and touted as a project he was proud to support.

Nominations to replace Miller will open likely in a few weeks and a new nominee to carry the Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound Conservative Electoral District Association nominee should take place in March or April, EDA president Rick Byers said afterwards.

Miller told reporters he anticipates at least three will enter the race to succeed him.

The federal election is scheduled to be held Oct. 21.

https://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/news/local-news/miller-announces-farewell-from-federal-politics
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-time Conservative MP Larry Miller will not seek re-election in BGOS

News 12:28 PM by Jonathan Zettel  Walkerton Herald-Times|

BRUCE-GREY-OWEN SOUND—Conservative MP Larry Miller is hanging his hat after nearly 15-years representing the riding of Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound.

Miller made the announcement on January 18 in Owen Sound.

“I’m going to announce to you today, I think a lot of people suspected this at some point, that I won’t be seeking re-election this fall,” he said. “Don’t worry I’m not going anyplace, I’m going to finish out my term and then try to get as much fishing in as possible.”

Retired colonel Alex Duff announced just after Miller’s press conference he would be seeking the nomination of the federal Conservative candidate in Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound.

Miller thanked his family, staff and supporters over the years.

“I played hard and hit hard,” he said. “Some people don’t like that but I don’t make any apologies.”

https://www.southwesternontario.ca/news-story/9132168-long-time-conservative-mp-larry-miller-will-not-seek-re-election-in-bgos/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'I lost the fire in my belly,' Local MP retires after 28 years

Roger Klein
Roger Klein, Reporter/Videographer, Georgian Bay Bureau, CTV News Barrie

@RKleinCTV
Published Friday, January 18, 2019 3:58PM EST
Last Updated Friday, January 18, 2019 5:21PM EST

“I have to admit, I have lost the fire in my belly, and it’s time on a lot of fronts.”

After 28-years in politics, Federal MP Larry Miller is retiring. The Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound conservative made it official in front of a crowd of supporters that he would not seek re-election in 2019.

Miller was first elected as the MP for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound 15 years ago. He became well-known for being outspoken on the Liberal’s long gun registry and most recently on whether wearing a niqab should be allowed during citizenship ceremonies.

MP Larry Miller
Grey-Bruce-Owen Sound MP Larry Miller announces his retirement with his wife (R) and granddaughter (L). (CTV News/Roger Klein)

“What I said is exactly what most people were thinking,” says Miller. “Back to the niqab, one that got blown out of proportion, what I should have said, if you don’t want to show your face at an oath of citizenship, then please don’t apply to come.”

Miller won the last election by more than 4,000 votes, and still enjoys strong support.

“I’m glad for him to be able to retire, but I’m not so happy for Canada, because we are going to miss a great, great MP,” says one supporter.

The search for Miller’s replacement is underway.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/i-lost-the-fire-in-my-belly-local-mp-retires-after-28-years-1.4259856

Jump to: