Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candidates slate set for provincial byelection in Newfoundland and Labrador

The Canadian Press

Published: a day ago
Updated: 17 hours ago

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The official candidates slate is set for a provincial byelection next month in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Office of the Chief Electoral Officer says three candidates will vie for the seat in the riding of Topsail-Paradise on Jan. 24.

Former Paradise town councillor Paul Dinn will try to hold the riding for the Progressive Conservatives, while former MADD national president Patricia Hynes-Coates will carry the Liberal Banner.

Kathleen Burt has been nominated as the NDP candidate.

The byelection was called by Premier Dwight Ball last week after Paul Davis announced his resignation and retirement in October.

Elections Newfoundland and Labrador says advance polls will be open Jan. 17 and Jan. 19 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/regional/candidates-slate-set-for-provincial-byelection-in-newfoundland-and-labrador-271419/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Alison Coffin, who lost the leadership of the NDP earlier this year, said that this was the seat she would be interested in. She came from the opposite wing of the NDP than Gerry Rogers so don’t know if that wing is disgruntled now, as they’ve been in the past, or if timing just wasn’t right for her. The NDP have had some surprising performances in the last two by-elections even though they ran unknown candidates. This candidate is no exception so it’ll be interesting to see their result.

its next to impossible to predict provincial ndp performances these days , in Ontario we saw a crazy ndp surge in the final week and they won some seats no one though would ever go ndp

although for this by election I'd still say more than likely the ndp will stay in 3rd place even if there vote grows somewhat
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( haven't seen much about this by election but its nearing an end , with advance polls open and actual vote on Jan 24 )

Advance Polls Open in Topsail-Paradise Byelection

January 17, 2019 | 7:31 am

Advance polls are open today and again on Saturday in the Topsail- Paradise byelection.

Eligible voters can cast their ballots at Octagon Pond Elementary in Paradise or the Lodge Conception Masonic Hall in Chamberlains from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on both days.

Electors who received yellow Voter Information Cards in the mail are encouraged to bring them to the polls.

Three people are in the running to represent the district, Kathleen Burt for the NDP, Paul Dinn for the PCs and Patricia Hynes-Coates for the Liberals.

The byelection to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of former MHA Paul Davis, is taking place on Thursday, January 24th.

http://vocm.com/news/advance-p.....yelection/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topsail-Paradise byelection campaign in final week

David Maher (david.maher@thetelegram.com)

Published: 13 hours ago
Updated: 4 hours ago

Candidates for the Topsail-Paradise by-election set for Jan. 24 include (from left) Patricia Hynes-Coates for the Liberals, Paul Dinn for the Progressive Conservatives, and the New Democratic Party's Kathleen Burt. - Telegram file photos
Candidates for the Topsail-Paradise by-election set for Jan. 24 include (from left) Patricia Hynes-Coates for the Liberals, Paul Dinn for the Progressive Conservatives, and the New Democratic Party's Kathleen Burt. - Telegram file photos - SaltWire Network

Three different strategies at play among the candidates

After a slow start to campaigning, the final push to connect with voters has begun in the Topsail-Paradise byelection, slated for Jan. 24.

Paul Dinn, the Progressive Conservative candidate, was first to be confirmed as a candidate in the byelection. Dinn is the deputy mayor of Paradise, and formerly held a number of positions in the bureaucracy of the federal and provincial governments.

The party he’s running for is the incumbent in the byelection, after Paul Davis stepped aside in November.

Dinn says taxes and power rates are what’s coming up most on the doorsteps.

“When taxes are too high, people have less to spend, there’s less money in the economy … the spiral leads to layoffs, loan defaults, bankruptcy, and out-migration from our province,” Dinn said.

Dinn blames the Liberal government for the tax increases that came in under the 2016 provincial budget, but does acknowledge the cost of the Muskrat Falls project and the effect it’s set to have on power rates in the province. He says there needs to be outside-the-box thinking on facing power rates in the province.

“Energy costs, that’s part of taxation, in a way. I’m not naïve to say to the public, ‘don’t you worry, you won’t be affected,” he said.

“But it’s a way of looking at that and seeing how we can address it. It could be as simple as what you do with your mortgage when the payments get too high – you extend the payments. Maybe the federal government needs to give more than the loan that we have and call it an investment — take part ownership.”

Dinn says should he not be successful on election day, it’ll depend on PC party strategy as to whether he’ll be on the ballot for the provincial general election.

Passionate opponent

Patricia Hynes-Coates was next out of the gate. The most recent former president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving Canada, her role as an advocate for that organization is front and centre of her election strategy.

“I’ve been in a strong leadership position for a period of a couple of years now, so I have advocated right across this country by listening to victims of impaired driving,” said Coates.

“I’ve been successfully working with a team that has moved legislation federally and provincially that we were told would never happen. I’m bringing my listening skills, my passion, my hard work, my dedication and my determination to the constituents of this area.”

Hynes-Coates says she’s not intimidated by the prospect of entering the House of Assembly and joining 39 other strong voices advocating for their districts — she plans on standing out.

“I have no concern whatsoever of being silenced or quieted in any way. If I know that this is what my constituents want and it’s possible that it’s going to be able to be implemented, I will not be silenced. I am not that type of person. I never have been,” she said.

Hynes-Coates says she will run in the 2019 general election, should she not be successful on Jan. 24.

Engaging with voters

Kathleen Burt was the New Democratic Party candidate in the 2015 provincial election in Harbour Grace-Port de Grave.

The NDP has taken a more distant strategy with the Topsail-Paradise byelection. It is the only party without a headquarters in the district, instead choosing more of an online and satellite campaign.

Burt says the party is testing a few things — like online cup-of-tea question and answer sessions to engage with voters. But, by and large, the NDP is focused on the general election.

That said, Burt is still hitting the doorsteps in Topsail-Paradise. She says people are looking for a new kind of government.

“Of the people that I have actually talked to, there’s a lot of people dissatisfied,” said Burt.

“People don’t have the tools anymore to know what to do when they’re dissatisfied with their governments. That’s why, I think, you see a lot of this bullying and whatnot because they feel frustrated. I’m talking about bullying online. People sometimes say horrible things to politicians online.”

Burt says the all-party committee on mental health, spearheaded by NDP Leader Gerry Rogers, is one example of more ways to engage the people and the experts of the province on the largest issues. She says she hopes the NDP can provide an example that changing the political culture of the province is possible.

“I’m giving them the message from the NDP: there is a better way of doing things. We can be more democratic. We can make decisions in a better way than we have,” she said.

“In order to get true democratic reform, we need to change constitutions and all that, but what the NDP has been saying is we already have possibilities for more democracy in the way we do things, if any government wants to use them.”

The first day of advance polling took place Thursday

https://www.cbncompass.ca/news/local/topsail-paradise-byelection-campaign-in-final-week-276799/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voters heading to the polls in Topsail-Paradise byelection

District residents can mark a ballot between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. today

CBC News · Posted: Jan 24, 2019 6:00 AM NT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

Three candidates are running in Thursday's byelection in the Topsail-Paradise district. (Malone Mullin/CBC)

Three candidates are on the ballot for a byelection that will fill what's expected to be the last remaining seat at the House of Assembly before this year's general election.

The Topsail-Paradise district, which was rejigged in 2015 to include parts of Paradise and Conception Bay South, has been without a representative since Paul Davis stepped down in November.

The candidates stepping up and vying for his spot have run a diverse campaign over the past few weeks.

The NDP's pick, Kathleen Burt, has said she wants to focus on developing a strong education system to keep kids from seeking livelihoods out-of-province, and building better jobs with higher wages in the short-term.

Liberal candidate Patricia Hynes-Coates was tight-lipped about the issues she heard on doorsteps, but vowed to bring her experience as a national responsible-drinking advocate to Confederation Building, with an eye to standing up for people living paycheque to paycheque — a reality she says she knows well.

Paul Dinn, running for the PCs, has a close relationship to the district, having served on Paradise town council for the past seven years. He says he's been hearing concerns over tax burdens on seniors and local infrastructure projects.

You can read more about the candidates in our previous coverage.

Voters will have a chance to mark ballots for one of the three contenders from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday at one of these voting locations.

1,116 votes were cast in two advance polls held last week, according to Elections Newfoundland and Labrador, compared to 886 votes cast during one day of advance voting for the 2015 general election.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/topsail-paradise-byelection-day-1.4990614
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( low key by election ? would seem to be headed for the same outcome previously predicted which was a PC hold . )

Polls Open Today in Topsail-Paradise Byelection

January 24, 2019 | 6:25 am

The campaigning is over and people in Topsail-Paradise are going to the polls in what will likely be the final byelection before the next general election.

Topsail-Paradise was home to the premier for a short time as then-MHA Paul Davis carried the Tories through their final days of government. His resignation from politics paved the way for today’s byelection.

Kathleen Burt represents the NDP, Patricia Hynes-Coates the Liberals and Paul Dinn the PC’s.

It has been a relatively low-key campaign.

The PCs won the last two byelections in Windsor Lake with Ches Crosbie and Mount Pearl North with Jim Lester but the Liberals still have a comfortable majority in the House of Assembly despite having two former members sitting as independents .

Polls will be open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm with four locations: Octagon Pond Elementary, Topsail Elementary, the S.U.F. in Topsail, and the Lodge-Masonic in Chamberlains.

http://vocm.com/news/polls-ope.....yelection/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( liberals must be starting to dislike by elections in Newfoundland , another loss , seems to be over 50 % of the vote went pc

numbers seem to be - 2141 , Paul Dinns pc , 1159 , Patricia Hynes Coates , 183 , Kathleen Burt )

NEW Paul Dinn Wins Topsail-Paradise Byelection

January 24, 2019 | 9:03 pmLast Updated:January 24, 2019 | 9:14 pm

Paradise Town Councillor Paul Dinn has been elected as the new MHA for Topsail-Paradise.

The Tories held on to the seat vacated by former Premier Paul Davis, who stepped down in early December.

Dinn took an early lead as the poll results started coming in and never looked back. The mood at PC Headquarters this evening was jubilant with supporters chanting “Three in a row!” referencing the three byelections they’ve won since the last general election.

The Liberals still have the majority in the House of Assembly with 27 seats compared to the Tories’ 8, but the PCs will be hoping to cash in on that momentum leading into this year’s general election.

http://vocm.com/news/paul-dinn.....yelection/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like PCs have taken over 60% of the vote. That’s slightly up from what Paul Davis received in 2015.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Dinn wins Topsail-Paradise byelection

David Maher (david.maher@thetelegram.com)
Juanita Mercer (juanita.mercer@thetelegram.com)

Published: 12 hours ago
Updated: 1 hour ago

Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie congratulates Tory candidate Paul Dinn on Thursday night for his victory in the Topsail-Paradise by-election.
Progressive Conservative Leader Ches Crosbie congratulates Tory candidate Paul Dinn on Thursday night for his victory in the Topsail-Paradise by-election. - David Maher

Victorious Progressive Conservative candidate becomes 8th member of Tory caucus

Paul Dinn and the Progressive Conservative party have scored a hat trick of byelection victories.

Dinn, who battled an undisclosed illness throughout the Topsail-Paradise byelection campaign, says it was a hard-fought campaign.

“I always talk about family. I always think family is core to this. When we’re going door to door, the issues we hear, even though they might be political like taxes and energy rates, they all come back to family,” Dinn said to a room of Tory supporters on Thursday night.

“I got to say, I’m so blessed to have such a core family here.”

Dinn becomes the eighth member of the Tory caucus in the House of Assembly.

"I always think family is core to this. When we’re going door to door, the issues we hear, even though they might be political like taxes and energy rates, they all come back to family,” — Paul Dinn

According to the unofficial results from Elections NL, Dinn took 61 per cent of the vote, Liberal candidate Patricia Hynes-Coates took 33 per cent of the vote and New Democratic Party candidate Kathleen Burt won five per cent of the vote.

Of 43 total polls counted, Dinn won all but three.

In Topsail-Paradise during the 2015 general election, the PCs took 58 per cent of the vote, the Liberals saw 36 per cent and the NDP took 4.8 per cent.

Of the 10,195 registered voters before election day, 3,603 people voted in Thursday’s byelection, for a roughly 36 per cent voter turnout. In the 2015 general election, 5,799 people voted in Topsail-Paradise. The total population of the district is roughly 14,300 people.

Premier Dwight Ball (centre) congratulates winning Tory candidate Paul Dinn at Dinn’s campaign headquarters while Liberal candidate Patricia Hynes-Coates looks on.

Since the 2015 general election, the Tories have held on to two seats and flipped Windsor Lake from Liberal to PC in September 2018.

“I was confident going door to door that there’s a groundswell of support for the PCs,” said PC Leader Ches Crosbie.

“There’s talk about a spring election. I say bring it on.”

Crosbie says the nomination process for the Tory slate going into the general election will start on Friday.

Premier Dwight Ball has repeatedly stated he intends to hold the general election in the fall.

Despite the loss, Hynes-Coates says she feels energized, looking ahead to the general election.

“It was a great journey, a great learning experience, and I can’t wait to get back out and start the campaign for the election,” she said.

“I think it was just a matter of people finding out who I was and if I was serious about being a politician. Well, I am committed.”

Ball says the almost 2-1 loss did not come as a surprise.

“The surprise tonight would have been a PC loss. They’ve held this district for quite some time,” said Ball.

“We’ve got a great campaign, a committed, strong female voice on behalf of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. Trish will be working this district during the time that we give her now before we get into the general election.”

NDP Topsail-Paradise by-election candidate Kathleen Burt.

NDP candidate Kathleen Burt said she is disappointed with the result, but there are lessons the NDP can learn from the loss.

“The fact of the matter is we have a certain philosophy, which means people are first. If the province don’t want to hear that or don’t resonate with that policy, there isn’t a whole lot we can do about that,” Burt said.

“I’m not sure what you can do, strategy-wise. There’s obvious differences between our party and the Liberal and the PC party. If people are continuing to put their support behind parties that make terrible decisions for the province, I don’t know what we can do about that.”

Earlier story:

The Progressive Conservatives have made it three straight byelection wins as Paul Dinn becomes the 8th member of the Tory caucus.

Dinn, the deputy mayor of Paradise, won the Topsail-Paradise byelection on Thursday evening, defeating Liberal candidate Patricia Hynes-Coates and NDP candidate Kathleen Burt.

If the adage is true, three is a trend for the PC party, making Thursday night’s victory a major statement heading into the 2019 general election.

While rumours are circulating about an early election call, Premier Dwight Ball has been consistent in his statement that the general election will take place in the fall, on either Oct. 8 or Nov. 25.

https://www.thepacket.ca/news/local/paul-dinn-wins-topsail-paradise-byelection-278723/

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: