Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is -- why isn't this recognized as an abuse of power?

It seems to me to be akin an obstruction of justice, only using a judicial decision to thwart a piece of legitimate legislation. Is this not criminal simply because it was done by a judge? Is what he has done even against the law?

You want your courts to be out of politics. If Balababa enters a political dispute in this manner, can I call this a contemptible incompetent in public? Nobody wants all the contemptible incompetents on the benches exposed to language like that.

Can I now, after the decision is overturned, haul this judge before a TV camera to ask for him to account for himself?

You don't want that. The judiciary isn't very good as they are, so you surely don't want to encourage them into an arena where people get to talk back.

I propose they introduce a "Belobaba Clause" into whatever course in how-to-treat-female-testimony they're taking this week. His name should live in judicial infamy in Osgoode Hall -- the judge that provoked the Notwithstanding clause ... wrongly!
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
My question is -- why isn't this recognized as an abuse of power?

Because the media doesn't like Ford.

The ruling was reckless, but what is worse is that it was legally lazy.
Using the charter when interpretation of existing Provincial Law would have easily been enough to make a similar ruling made this entirely about feelings and not about the law.

Making this a charter issues simply dared Ford to use the Notwithstanding clause and make the entire past week about "Ford's lack of respect for the Constitution" rather than a ruling that effectively implied that governments were not allowed to get smaller because it effected my Charter freedom of self expression.

An election was held, Ford won by a fairly wide margin, he has the mandate the govern.
Attempting to manipulate the Constitution to override that mandate shouldn't be cheered by anyone.
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the interesting things in the aftermath ...

The 'notwithstanding clause' has worked as it should. True, the threat had to be brandished, but it all got straightened out in a timely manner.

It has been so marginalized that I had almost forgotten about it. It's like a 3 iron you never use but lug around because you wouldn't want to break up a set.

Harper should have used it. It has become a 'thing' for environmental and indigenous groups to use the procedure to endlessly jam up projects for essentially ideological reasons.

There is fair and responsible environmental review. Ditto with the other concerns. But at some point, you quit cutting bait and start to fish.

What I find surprising is, while the media is stirring the outrage pot, nobody's very outraged. It all seems to have worked out. Nothing bad happened.

There is a question about a check and balance on the Courts. I think the solution for judges who assume the role of philosopher king should involve horsewhips.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in several cases;
Harper had the gift of time.

He could appeal lower court rulings and usually get them heard in a timely manner.

This instance required the potential intervention of the clause;
The ruling was overreach, there was a fear that the appeal wouldn't be heard and ruled on prior to the Toronto Election. Therefore its use was justified given the situation.

I would have been far more outraged had the lower court decision delayed the legislation only to be overturned on appeal after the election.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the new Toronto city council's first act of business was to double there staffing budgets and increase office budgets , well also looking into the possibility of giving themselves a raise in line with what mp's and mpp's make .

only proving what Ford was saying all along , that this council is the most self serving institution and has no regard for the public tax dollars )

Toronto councillors vote to double their budgets

Antonella Artuso
Antonella Artuso

More from Antonella Artuso

Published:
December 5, 2018

Updated:
December 5, 2018 6:47 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
News ›
Toronto & GTA ›

The new Toronto Council voted to double councillor staffing budgets and put in motion a possible pay hike at its first meeting.

Of the three options put before them, council voted 18 to 8 in favour of the most expensive staffing budget — $482,000 per councillor’s office annually, up from $241,000 a year.

Their annual office budgets also got a boost to $50,000 from $34,000.

That’s expected to cut into the $25 million that Premier Doug Ford suggested could be saved when his government dramatically reduced the size of council to 26 members, including the mayor.

Council also asked the city manager to come back with a report with recommendations on councillor compensation.

“Today, my biggest concern was looking after my residents in term of my staffing budget and my office operation budget,” Councillor Paul Ainslie said Wednesday. “I haven’t given a lot of thought to increasing my own salary.”

Ontario Municipal Affairs Minister Steve Clark said the government aligned provincial, federal and municipal electoral boundaries to ensure a smaller, more efficient decision-making body to end political gridlock at city hall.

“The City of Toronto council had a choice to make today — respect the taxpayers in Toronto and invest in priorities like affordable housing and transit,” Clark said in an email. “Instead they decided to increase their own staff and salary budgets to near double what a Member of Provincial Parliament in Ontario and federal Members of Parliament are allocated and serve the same constituency boundaries.. At the end of the day, there is only one taxpayer in this city and province.”

It’s now up to council to determine how best to proceed within their new structure in an efficient and productive way, he said.

However, the majority of councillors agreed with Ainslie that the new larger wards, with roughly double the number of constituents, will require more staff and resources to provide the level of service the public expects.

Councillor Stephen Holyday had proposed a more modest staffing budget of $361,500, and argued for keeping office budgets at $34,000.

Some costs, such as operating a website, will not change just because there are more residents to serve, he said.

“I prefer to live within our means,” Holyday said. “This is a modest and humble approach to moving forward.”
related linksTory calls for new, smaller council to work together
Smaller Toronto council, bigger councillor budgets?

Councillor Shelley Carroll said most of the feedback she heard on this issue was concern in the new portion of her ward that “they’re going to be second best…they all want us to be well resourced to do the job.”

Regarding Holyday’s motion, Carroll said councillors were free to under spend their budgets and “get a gold star in the Toronto Sun.”

Council voted down motions to create a special $5,000 “emergency” fund for each councillor, to increase the office budget to $55,000 and to hire more staff as researchers.

Councillor Jim Karygiannis said he would have preferred if the office budget, which covers the cost of communicating with constituents, had been increased to somewhere between $61,000 to $69,000.

“I’ve got twice the ward and definitely we need that extra budget in order to reach out to our constituents… This is not money we spend on ourselves.”

Karygiannis said the city manager will be looking at the salaries of those doing similar work, such as MPs and MPPs, now that Toronto councillors represent the same number of constitutents.

The basic pay for a provincial MPP is $116,500, plus extra funds for committees and other responsibilities, while federal MPs enjoy a base salary of $172,700 a year.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/toronto-councillors-vote-to-double-their-budgets
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
( the new Toronto city council's first act of business was to double there staffing budgets and increase office budgets , well also looking into the possibility of giving themselves a raise in line with what mp's and mpp's make .

only proving what Ford was saying all along , that this council is the most self serving institution and has no regard for the public tax dollars )

Bingo!
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, the majority of councillors agreed with Ainslie that the new larger wards, with roughly double the number of constituents, will require more staff and resources to provide the level of service the public expects.

Councillor Stephen Holyday had proposed a more modest staffing budget of $361,500, and argued for keeping office budgets at $34,000.

Some costs, such as operating a website, will not change just because there are more residents to serve, he said.

“I prefer to live within our means,” Holyday said. “This is a modest and humble approach to moving forward.”
related linksTory calls for new, smaller council to work together
Smaller Toronto council, bigger councillor budgets?

We all know Ford sucks at math. He proved that at council .

Holyday is right, keep it modest and see how it fairs.
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the councillors are blood-suckers.

If they didn't want the job as the salary on offer, they didn't have to accept their nomination. RCO has it exactly right -- these are pigs at the trough!

It isn't as if the councillors do any more work even if their districts are bigger. They might need an extra hand in the office, but not eating up the other councillors expense accounts -- and personal salary! Where's John Tory on this?
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Or the councillors are blood-suckers.

If they didn't want the job as the salary on offer, they didn't have to accept their nomination. RCO has it exactly right -- these are pigs at the trough!

It isn't as if the councillors do any more work even if their districts are bigger. They might need an extra hand in the office, but not eating up the other councillors expense accounts -- and personal salary! Where's John Tory on this?

I notice in Ontario our municipal councils are becoming increasing self centred and even corrupt .

look at Toronto , what does the average person gain from these changes ? literally nothing . this is all about giving more $ and staff to the city councillors . and eventually raising there pay to the same level as an mp/mpp . can you imagine that a city councillor making as much as an MP ? crazy

there is examples of financial wrong doings across the province which are very disturbing .

this story out of North Bay is one of the most bizarre , it involves the former CAO who remained on the city payroll for 2 years at $200,000 a year for a job which does not seem to even exist . so what exactly was he doing ? and why was this position created ? no one seems to know .

just one story from one city hall in Ontario but unfortuently is likely others out there just waiting to be uncovered . this story was only unearthed because an average citizen read thru the sunshine list and had the nerve to question city hall about the payments , not because an elected city councillor raised the problem

Digging for details at North Bay’s city hall

The City of North Bay ordered to release details about a former CAO’s employment after a concerned citizen’s request. Eric Taschner reports.

Eric Taschner, North Bay videojournalist
Eric Taschner, Videojournalist, North Bay

@EricTaschnerCTV
Published Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:35PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:46PM EST

Ontario's privacy watchdog is telling the City of North Bay that it must release a confidential document it signed with the former Chief Administrative Officer.

All of this coming after a North Bay man began digging for details in the city's Sunshine List.

Kevin Ferris re-reads the city's Sunshine List from 2016 one more time after he stumbled on something that initially confused him: former CAO Jerry Knox with a different job title, corporate advisor. It’s a position that actually does not exist at city hall.

North Bay City Hall
North Bay City Hall

Citizen is questioning payment to former CAO
After seeing a former North Bay CAO still on the Sunshine List, a concerned citizen wants answers.

Knox left the CAO post two years ago, but he remained on the Sunshine List for 2016 and 2017.

Figures show he was paid nearly $204,000 each year.

"It definitely raised some eyebrows and warranted further inquiry." said Ferris.

He questioned North Bay Mayor Al McDonald about the matter.

"He basically said he had no knowledge of this position and had nothing to do with the hiring. So, that's when I filed the Freedom of Information request for any documents and supporting materials surrounding this hiring." said Ferris.

The city fired back at Ferris, telling him it would only provide the employment contract, but not in its entirety.

Ferris appealed the city's move and it moved to mediation.

The province's privacy commissioner then ordered city hall to disclose the full employment agreement it signed with Knox by December 11th.

"We'll comply with whatever the order is. It's being reviewed by our legal services, and we're not part of that process as elected members and we don't comment on legal or personnel matters." said McDonald.

The city also has to produce additional documentation describing the search efforts.

Ferris is pleased with the order, but says there's still not enough transparency at city hall.

"When little guys like us are going up against the big machine, we seem to get shut down all the time." said Ferris.

He says he's looking forward to learning more about the deal the city cut with the former CAO and thinks it's “just the tip of the iceberg.”

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/digging-for-details-at-north-bay-s-city-hall-1.4198345
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

part of the problem is that once these positions are created or as staff levels increase at city and municipal offices . its very hard to ever get rid of these new positions . once there on the payroll , they seem to be there forever . when do you ever read about layoffs at a city hall ? literally never

look at all the fuss Ford went thru to reduce the size of Toronto city council , it was pure hell

it would be the same at any other municipal office in Ontario if you were to try and eliminate some of these high paying positions . they'd say you were cutting jobs and hurting the towns economy . ( even though they've had to increase taxes every year just to keep paying for all the new jobs they were creating at city hall )
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it's important, but all of these new civil service jobs -- amongst the highest paying at any job level, with excellent benefits -- are filled through a system of discrimination on the basis of sex and race.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  

Jump to: