Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Toronto Centre wrote:
RCO wrote:

this is a political hit job , no doubt and for anyone to say otherwise is ignoring the obvious

Umm...you don't actually know what a hitjob is I take it?

She is targetted as she only one by a slim margin. In other words , she is ripe for the taking.

A "hit job" is what the Democrats are doing to Judge Kavanaugh!

this is a bit different than Kavanaugh , its more a form of bullying

does anyone really believe the 2 events are unrelated ? Raitt and Trudeau having an argument in the house and the announcement the next day of a star liberal candidate for her riding , who is obviously a parachute candidate , he doesn't even live in Milton and never once expressed any interest in representing it politically ( federally , provincially or municipally ) before today's announcement

this is about putting the " fear of god " into the opposition , the fear that if they speak up and do there job , which is to hold the government to account . they are going to be personally targeted in the next election by the liberals , with star candidates , money etc

why do you think the ndp basically agree with everything trudeau is doing ? they know they'd do poorly if the liberals put significant effort into winning soft ndp ridings . so there just sitting back and not doing much of anything

isn't this the kind of thing Harper did ? try and bully the opposition .

that's what this is at its core , its about trying to scare opposition mp's so they don't do there job of holding the government to account and speak up in question period when the government has done something dumb
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals have also nominated a candidate in South Okanagan West Kootenay , an ndp riding in BC that would seem like an unlikely liberal target as I personally can't remember it ever being liberal in recent memory )

Denesiuk announced as Liberal nominee for South Okanagan-West Kootenay

Connie Denesiuk ran for the first time in 2015, losing to current MP Cannings
Jordyn Thomson/
Oct. 6, 2018 9:37 a.m./
Local News/
News

The South Okanagan-West Kootenay Federal Liberal Riding Association have announced their candidate for the 2019 election.

Connie Denesiuk will be running again for the party and riding, after running in the 2015 federal election and losing to current MP Richard Cannings with the New Democrat Party.

“I’m thrilled to be back, and this time I know what I’m getting into,” said Densiuk at the Liberal’s nominee party at the Shatford Centre on Oct. 4.

“What’s different from my 2014 nomination is that I know the tremendous amount of work that we’ve got ahead of us,” said Denesiuk. “And I know that our team will need to continue to build and grow. There’s lots of doors that we need to knock and funds that we need to continue to raise.”

In the 2011 election, Liberals in the South Okanagan-West Kootenay riding only saw 6 per cent of the vote. In 2015, Denesiuk and the party received 28 per cent, a significant increase.

“The Liberal values are my values, and I believe they are Canadian values,” said Denesiuk.

Over the past two years, Denesiuk has attended post-secondary at Royal Roads University to obtain her master’s degree in leadership. She and party representatives plan to tour the riding beginning in November to meet with voters, sign up volunteers, and collect donations.

For more information about the South Okanagan-West Kootenay Federal Liberal Riding Association, visit their Facebook page. The federal election will take place Oct. 21, 2019.

https://www.castlegarnews.com/news/denesiuk-announced-as-liberal-nominee-for-south-okanagan-west-kootenay/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( interesting it appears liberal star candidate Adam Van Koeverden will have to win a contested nomination against the 2015 liberal candidate of record in Milton )

Milton realtor once again running for federal Liberal nomination

News 09:00 AM Milton Canadian Champion|

Azim Rizvee is running for the Milton Liberal riding nomination for next year's federal election. - Metroland file photo

Azim Rizvee is taking another crack at federal politics, having announced his intention to seek another run as the Milton Liberal candidate.

The co-founder of Minmaxx Realty — who delivered a strong challenge to Conservative MP Lisa Raitt in 2015 — announced his candidacy on October 21, exactly one year before the 2019 election.

“I live here and understand the needs of Milton,” said Rizvee, during a well-attended campaign kickoff event at his home. “I remain dedicated to giving back to the community that has given me so much.”

Among those on hand at the event — offering Rizvee their endorsement — were lifelong Liberals Anwar Naqvi and Mirza Zulfigar, who spoke about the importance of political engagement.

The Liberal candidate hopeful touched on what he viewed as the achievements of the Trudeau government since 2015, including the Canada Pension Plan, Canada Child Benefit program and the multilateral trade agreements.

Furthermore, he said the significant ground gained locally by the Liberals is cause for optimism.

“Through our collective efforts we closed the vote margin by approximately 21,000 by reducing it from over 23,000 in 2011 (then the Halton riding consisting of Milton and northern parts of Oakville and Burlington) to just over 2000.”

Rizvee called on his supporters to remain committed heading towards next year’s election.

“Let’s remain focused on the end goal and continue to reach out to all members of our community to help them understand that a Liberal victory is the clear choice for our community.”

Rizvee will have some high-profile competition for the local nomination, as decorated Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden recently announced his bid to seek the position.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/8985185-milton-realtor-once-again-running-for-federal-liberal-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( liberals also nominated a candidate early in North Okanagan Shuswap , a riding which would seem to be an unlikely liberal target , a rural riding in BC that has never been liberal federally in recent memory . I'd imagine a lot of the votes they got there in 2015 were only because of marijuana legalization as its a popular area for drug users , they'll have a hard time getting them in a second time )

Salmon Arm’s Cindy Derkaz has been acclaimed as the Liberal candidate for the 2019 federal election and says she and her team are energized and ready to fight for the right to represent area residents. (Photo submitted)

Derkaz acclaimed Liberal candidate in North Okanagan-Shuswap riding

Salmon Arm candidate and team ready to go for 2019 federal elelection
Barb Brouwer/
Oct. 8, 2018 2:50 p.m./
News

Cindy Derkaz has been selected as the Liberal candidate and part of Team Trudeau for the 2019 election.

The North Okanagan-Shuswap Liberal candidate came in a relatively close second in the last election, about 17,000 votes compared to the Conservatives’ 22,000. She has always been interested in politics but had never been a member of any political party – until 2012, “when (Stephen) Harper and the Conservatives decided to take Canada in a direction we didn’t feel represented the Canada we love.”

Derkaz says she and husband, Don Derby, decided that rather than sitting around complaining, they would get involved.

“We both decided to get active and the Liberal Party is really aligned with our views – inclusive, plays on the world scene, is a party that supports small business and business in general, but with a social conscience,” she says, noting she researched all the parties. “We decided to stick with it; we don’t want to see the real change that has happened with the Liberal government turned back.”

Derkaz, a retired lawyer, studied political science at UBC and has been involved in a number of environmental issues on the local front. She was appointed to three appeal tribunals including the Environmental Appeal Board for BC where she served a term as vice-chair.

Nominations for the local Liberal riding opened in late June and by the time they closed in late September, Derkaz was the standalone candidate.

“I have had amazing support; my team never quit working,” she says of her decision to run again, something she pondered following the last election.

“I have been listening to Canadians, what they think of the government, what they think the issues are and keeping a presence by going to a number of events,” she says, noting the big issues she has heard are housing, homelessness and the opioid crisis, both of which she believes can be linked to a lack of affordable housing. “The Liberal government is putting $40 billion into housing in Canada over the next 10 years and I want to be advocating to get some of that money here.”

Derkaz says other issues that people have raised with her are education for children and both sides of the pipeline debate.

“Much of the province isn’t invested in the federal election right now,” she says, noting she has the energy and drive to make a run for Ottawa next year. “The team has stuck around and really does want to go again; we’ve had lots of encouragement and we’ve learned a lot.”

Derkaz has lived almost her entire life in the riding. She is a passionate community supporter that includes over a decade as a founder and president of the Shuswap Community Foundation. She was awarded the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal in recognition of her life-long commitment to volunteerism and service.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/derkaz-acclaimed-liberal-candidate-in-north-okanagan-shuswap-riding/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( article would seem to indicate liberals have many more candidates nominated they first though , most are incumbents though . but a couple incumbents may not run again , Wayne Easter and Celina Caesar Chavannes in Whitby )

More than half of Liberal MPs nominated for 2019; Wayne Easter unsure he’ll run

By Samantha Wright Allen Oct. 31, 2018

The Liberals have more than 100 nominees, just behind the Conservatives' 136, while the NDP has six.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks at the Liberal convention in April. The party has more than 100 nominees set for the 2019 election. The Hill Times photograph by Cynthia Münster

More than 100 Liberal MPs have been nominated for the 2019 election after meeting thresholds the party set for incumbents to go forward uncontested, edging the party closer to the Conservative lead for official candidates.

Of the 182 Grit MPs, “well over a hundred” have received a letter from the party confirming their nomination, said Liberal spokesperson Braeden Caley by email Oct. 25. In early January the party said it would protect incumbent MPs from nomination challenges if they met certain performance or “engagement goals” by Oct. 1.

It’s been busy work since the beginning of September, when the Liberals had only 21 official candidates.

At that time, the Conservatives were well in the lead with 128 official candidates, and they have since added a handful more, making it 136, according to the party’s online tracking page.

Over the last two weeks The Hill Times surveyed all Liberal MPs not already nominated and has confirmed 102 nominations, and 16 others who indicated they were likely to be, either noting they met the goals by deadline or were waiting for final word from the party. Most in cabinet have got the nod or, like Agriculture Minister Lawrence MacAulay (Cardigan, P.E.I.), say they are continuing outreach as part of the engagement goals.

“We will continue that important outreach in the weeks ahead, and I’m closely in touch with the party about the final steps of the nominations process,” he said by email.

Fifty-six MPs did not respond, including six ministers, and two MPs declined to comment: William Amos (Pontiac, Ont.), and Michel Picard (Montarville, Que.). Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale (Regina-Wascana, Sask.) was in the mix of undeclared, but he’s very involved in the 2019 election, having been named co-chair of the national platform committee with MP Mona Fortier (Ottawa-Vanier, Ont.)

The party’s approach toward incumbents has spawned some backlash among some supporters who say Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (Papineau, Que.) promised a different way of doing politics during his leadership campaign when he vowed to hold free, fair, and open nominations across the country.

The goals deal with membership, outreach, and fundraising, like taking part in at least two “voter contact day of action” door-knocking events in the last year, knocking on at least 3,500 doors or making 5,000 phone calls, and raising 50 per cent of the expected election expense limit in the riding. Incumbents had until Oct. 1 to meet these conditions, but the party officials have also told the caucus that they are flexible in terms of the deadline as long as they see MPs making progress to meet these conditions.

Not all nominations have been publicized, with many MPs waiting to make the announcement at local events with supporters over the next few weeks and “that work is being validated and confirmed at a very quick pace,” Mr. Caley said by email.

Mr. Caley said the party doesn’t comment on specific ridings, when asked about how many MPs hadn’t met the goals or had received extensions.

Some MP intentions up in the air

First elected in 1993, eight-time MP Wayne Easter said he’s undecided on his future though he still loves his job and has met the party’s conditions.

“We’re ready to go in that regard, it’s just to firm up my own mind,” Mr. Easter (Malpeque, P.E.I.) said in an interview Oct. 24.

Liberal MP and Finance Committee chair Wayne Easter, pictured with United Conservative Party of Alberta Leader Jason Kenney at a committee meeting in May where Mr. Kenney testified, says he’s not sure if he’ll run in 2019. The Hill Times photograph by Andrew Meade

What would cement that decision for him?

“A lightning bolt or something,” he said with a big laugh. He has an internal deadline he didn’t offer, but it’s sometime this fall, he confirmed.

While he has family support either way, he’s weighing a couple of factors, including the length of time in office, and says he hears from former colleagues on other end of the spectrum: wishing they’d stayed, or others “glad” they left.

“I think I’m reasonably good at it, but is the time right or is it not?” he asked, adding he likes chairing the Finance Committee and co-chairing the Canada-United States Inter-Parliamentary Group and there’s still “a lot of things” he’d like to do for his riding, which he said is in “very good shape” financially and supportive of the party.

After saying in September she was undecided on running, Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes (Whitby, Ont.) said she’s not her party’s candidate in 2019. It wasn’t clear if that was her final decision or a matter of her candidacy not yet being official, as several MPs signalled they’d met their goals but were waiting on the party’s approval. The Hill Times did not receive clarification by deadline.

Liberal MP Celina Caesar-Chavannes says she’s met the Liberal Party’s requirements of incumbents, but is not a candidate. The Hill Times file photograph

In her Oct. 29 response to the survey, she said she met the community engagement goals required to ensure she could be the party’s candidate without the need for a nomination meeting.

After a July cabinet shuffle, The outspoken MP said she turned down the offer to serve another term as a parliamentary secretary and that she’d make a decision about running again after wrapping up the eligibility requirements.

She said her decision, “requires me to talk to people and say: ‘How much of what happened in the last few months has impacted your thinking about my ability to be a voice for you?’” she told The Hill Times, adding she knows it’s possible she could be a one-term MP “based on the stuff that I say, and that’s okay, but I’m going to do right by the people of Whitby and ask them the question and make sure that yes, they do want me to represent them.”

Walking back comments that he would resign, Quebec MP Nicola Di Iorio (Saint Léonard-Saint Michel, Que.) said on Sept. 27 he would give himself a month to reflect and consult with his family and the party “to make the best decision for my community and my fellow citizens and to clarify my intentions.” Mr. Di Iorio did not respond to a query about whether he’d made up his mind a month later.

Three Liberal MPs have said they won’t be running in 2019: Bill Casey (Cumberland-Colchester, N.S.), Colin Fraser (West Nova, N.S.), and Borys Wrzesnewskyj (Etobicoke Centre, Ont.).

First-term MP Wayne Long said he has applied for an extension to meet the party goals but has not yet heard back for a new deadline.

“However, I will seek the Liberal nomination for my riding, regardless of the outcome of that process,” he said by email, and that he intends to be the Liberal candidate in 2019 for Saint John-Rothesay, N.B.

He said he was unable to meet the targets by deadline “as a result of my active involvement in the provincial election campaign in New Brunswick,” and that he couldn’t meet the requirement for voter ID data collection and fundraising due to his commitment to helping his provincial colleagues.

Julie Dzerowicz said she had a piece of information that needed to be submitted after the Oct. 1 deadline but she still expected to run as the Liberal candidate for Davenport, Ont.

Rodger Cuzner (Cape Breton-Canso, N.S.) said by email he has applied for and received an extension to finalize two aspects of his nomination and he “fully expects” to complete them by the new deadline.

Tories lead, NDP trail in named nominees

Like the Liberals, the vast majority of the 136 named Tory nominees are incumbents. But Conservatives are also further ahead than the Grits on candidates named to unheld ridings, with more than 25 announced compared to the Liberals’ three.

At least six NDP MPs have been nominated and the party has 13 more nominations meetings “so far and counting,” said NDP spokesman Guillaume Francoeur by email.

Confirmed candidates include Cheryl Hardcastle (Windsor-Tecumseh, Ont.), Tracey Ramsey (Essex, Ont.), Niki Ashton (Churchill-Keewatinook Aski, Man.), Richard Cannings (South Okanagan-West Kootenay, B.C.), and Sheri Benson (Saskatoon West, Sask.), confirmed Mr. Francoeur. While Scott Duvall (Hamilton Mountain, Ont.) previously said he was on the fence, his office confirmed his nomination is coming up in November.

Eight NDP MPs have decided not to run, including the latest exit by B.C. MP Sheila Malcolmson who will run in a recently vacated provincial seat in her Nanaimo riding.

The NDP didn’t say whether it had a deadline for incumbents to signal their intentions for 2019. The party said “MPs are encouraged to make a decision and schedule their nomination meeting as soon as possible.”

swallen@hilltimes.com

The Hill Times

Liberal 2019 candidates

*Indicates that the MP responded to say they are waiting to hear back from the party or to confirm they had met the community engagement goals. In some cases, they said they expected to be the candidate but didn’t answer directly whether goals had been met.

Alberta
•Amarjeet Sohi
•Kent Hehr
•Randy Boissonnault

British Columbia
•Carla Qualtrough
•Dan Ruimy
•John Aldag
•Jonathan Wilkinson
•Joyce Murray
•Pamela Goldsmith-Jones
•Ron McKinnon*
•Stephen Fuhr
•Sukh Dhaliwal*
•Terry Beech

Manitoba
•Daniel Vandal
•Doug Eyolfson
•James Carr
•Kevin Lamoureux
•Terry Duguid

New Brunswick
•Dominic LeBlanc
•Ginette Petitpas Taylor
•Karen Ludwig*
•René Arseneault

Newfoundland and Labrador
•Churence Rogers
•Gudie Hutchings
•Ken McDonald
•Nick Whalen*
•Seamus O’Regan
•Yvonne Jones

Nova Scotia
•Andy Fillmore
•Darrell Samson
•Darren Fisher
•Scott Brison*
•Sean Fraser*

Ontario
•Adam Vaughan
•Ahmed Hussen
•Andrew Leslie
•Anita Vandenbeld
•Anthony Housefather
•Anthony Rota
•Arif Virani
•Bardish Chagger
•Bill Morneau
•Bryan May
•Carolyn Bennett
•Catherine McKenna
•Chandra Arya
•Chrystia Freeland
•David McGuinty
•Deborah Schulte
•Filomena Tassi
•Francesco Sorbara
•Gagan Sikand
•Iqra Khalid
•James Maloney
•Jane Philpott
•Jean Yip
•Jennifer O’Connell
•John Oliver
•Judy Sgro
•Julie Dabrusin
•Kamal Khera
•Karen McCrimmon
•Karina Gould
•Kate Young
•Kim Rudd
•Kirsty Duncan*
•Lloyd Longfield
•Marc Serré
•Mark Holland
•Marwan Tabbara*
•Mary Ng
•Maryam Monsef
•Michael Levitt*
•Mike Bossio*
•Mona Fortier
•Navdeep Bains
•Neil Ellis*
•Omar Alghabra
•Pam Damoff
•Patricia Hajdu
•Paul Lefebvre
•Peter Fonseca
•Peter Fragiskatos
•Raj Grewal
•Raj Saini
•Ramesh Sangha
•Robert Nault*
•Robert Oliphant
•Salma Zahid
•Shaun Chen
•Sonia Sidhu
•Terry Sheehan
•Vance Badawey
•Yasmin Ratansi

Prince Edward Island
•Lawrence MacAulay*
•Robert Morrissey

Quebec
•Alexandra Mendès
•Angelo Iacono*
•Brenda Shanahan*
•David Graham
•David Lametti
•Denis Paradis
•Emmanuel Dubourg
•Emmanuella Lambropoulos
•Francis Scarpaleggia
•François-Philippe Champagne
•Frank Baylis
•Greg Fergus
•Jean Rioux
•Jean-Yves Duclos
•Joël Lightbound
•Justin Trudeau
•Marc Miller
•Marie-Claude Bibeau*
•Mélanie Joly
•Pablo Rodriguez
•Ramez Ayoub
•Steven MacKinnon

https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/10/31/half-liberal-mps-nominated-2019-easter-caesar-chavannes-unsure-theyll-run/174100
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some liberal associations are already searching for candidates , this one from Ontario is specifically looking for a candidate who is a Woman , Indigenous or a visible minority . even though the riding itself would be a long shot for the liberals even under the best circumstances )

Parry Sound-Muskoka Federal Liberals Seek 2019 Election Candidate

By Muskoka411 Staff -
October 31, 2018 9:46 am

With the 2019 federal election fast approaching, the Parry Sound-Muskoka Federal Liberal Association is putting out the call for the riding’s most talented and hardworking Liberal Party candidate ever. They are particularly interested in hearing from potential candidates who are women, indigenous people and visible minorities.

Contact Riding Association President John Duck at president@parrysoundmuskoka.ca for more information. Find us online at parrysoundmuskoka.liberal.ca. We’re also on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The Parry Sound-Muskoka Federal Liberal Association says the campaign is off to a great start, with more to come in the weeks ahead. To learn more, visit: Liberal.ca/nominations

https://muskoka411.com/start/parry-sound-muskoka-federal-liberals-seek-2019-election-candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( odd the only successful liberal candidate they ever had in this riding was an older white male , now there only interested in someone who is not an older white male )

Local Liberal Party Wants More Diversity in Politics as it looks for next candidate

SHARE ON:    

Nicole Reis, staff Monday, Oct. 29th, 2018

 Parry Sound Muskoka Federal Liberal Association is calling for a more diverse group of people to get involved in politics.

The Parry Sound-Muskoka Federal Liberal Association is putting out the call for the riding’s most talented and hardworking Liberal Party candidate.

The Federal Liberal Party is looking for a progressive-minded individual ready and eager to represent Parry Sound-Muskoka in Ottawa or a recommendation of someone else who fits the bill.
As part of the Liberal Party of Canada’s open and transparent process, they want to hear from people like you.

They said that they are particularly interested in hearing from potential candidates who are women, indigenous people and visible minorities.

“I think there has been very much an effort on behalf of the Liberal Party to encourage women and minorities to participate in politics and get a cross-section of our community, and not just Parry Sound/ Muskoka but also across the nation to be participating. Our particular region has at least five or six indigenous communities in it and quite often, they have not participated in the Federal political process. We’re opening those doors up and making sure that people from around our entire community are aware that there is a need within Federal politics to have a nice balanced parliament. We’re here to try to facilitate that, “ said John Duck, President of the Parry Sound Muskoka Federal Liberal Association.

Whether it’s volunteering, joining the PSM Federal Liberal Riding Association, or playing a key role on the campaign team,The PSM Liberal Riding says it’s important that more under-represented people feel empowered to actively participate. The Liberal Party wants everyone to know they are welcome.

For those interested in becoming a candidate, you may download the nomination package here or by Contact Riding Association President John Duck at president@parrysoundmuskoka.ca.

https://www.myparrysoundnow.com/40783/the-parry-sound-muskoka-liberal-party-wants-more-diversity-in-politics/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( also news of a surprisingly strong liberal candidate in a ndp riding in northern Saskatchewan )

Lac La Ronge Chief Tammy Cook-Searson to seek federal Liberal Party nomination

One political scientist says Tammy Cook-Searson is likely to be a "star candidate" for the part in the 2019 election.

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Updated: November 13, 2018

Lac La Ronge Indian Band Chief Tammy Cook-Searson says she plans to seek the federal Liberal nomination ahead of the 2019 federal election. Kayle Neis/ Saskatoon StarPhoeni

A prominent northern Saskatchewan politician is planning to run in the federal election next year, giving the Liberal Party of Canada what one political scientist described as a legitimate “star candidate” in a winnable seat.

Tammy Cook-Searson, who has been a band councillor and chief of the Lac La Ronge Indian Band for more than two decades, on Tuesday announced her intention to seek the nomination in the Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River constituency.

The seat is currently held by the NDP’s Georgina Jolibois, a former mayor of La Loche, Sask. who defeated Liberal Lawrence Joseph by 82 votes and incumbent Conservative Rob Clarke by 1,214 votes in a tight three-way race during the 2015 federal election.

In an interview on Tuesday, Cook-Searson said she was encouraged to run by people inside and outside the Liberal Party, and wants to build on the party’s success, particularly in health care and education in the north.

“I want to be able to build on my experience. I’ve been in band politics now for 21 years, and I want to be able to build on my experience, to work on the issues of the north, the far north and the rural areas,” she said.

Cook-Searson served as a band councillor from 1997 to 2005, and was elected chief of the northern community 13 years ago — a position she has held since. She also serves as president of Kitsaki Management Ltd. Partnership.

The Liberals have a long history of recruiting prominent people from outside politics, and Cook-Searson’s decision to run in the northern riding is the equivalent of a big-city mayor opting to seek a federal nomination, according to a University of Regina political scientist.

While opposition to the federal carbon pricing plan and the current government’s struggle to deliver on First Nations issue may be impediments, candidates are often more important than their party in large but tight-knit northern ridings, Jim Farney said.

“Here is a very much local notable who’s got a lot of experience as a chief … coming together with a party that’s looking to include Indigenous Canadians in its electoral coalition and that really does care about having a more or less gender-equal caucus and cabinet.”

It’s unclear who will challenge Cook-Searson for the nomination. Liberal spokesman Parker Lund said the party has been approached by “a variety” of people interested in becoming the riding’s candidate. No nomination meeting has been set.

The federal election is set for Oct. 21, 2019. The Liberals have struggled to elect MPs in Saskatchewan in recent years. The party’s only current MP from the province is Ralph Goodale, who has long represented Regina–Wascana.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/lac-la-ronge-chief-tammy-cook-searson-to-seek-federal-liberal-party-nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook-Searson to seek federal Liberal nomination

Tammy Cook-Searson
Chief Tammy Cook-Searson of the Lac La Ronge poses for a photo near Montreal River between La Ronge and Air Ronge on Friday, July 24, 2015. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Liam Richards

CTV Saskatoon
Published Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:43PM CST

The longtime chief of the Lac La Ronge Indian Band is hoping to head to Ottawa.

Tammy Cook-Searson has announced she’s seeking the federal Liberal nomination in the Riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River, which encompasses the northern half of the province.

She has served as a councillor and band chief for more than two decades.

The seat is now held by NDP MP Georgina Jolibois.

Cook-Searson says she hopes to focus on jobs and access to health care and education in the North.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/cook-searson-to-seek-federal-liberal-nomination-1.4177263
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals appear to be aggressively seeking female candidates for unheld western Canada ridings even though there among the most unlikely seats for them to pick up ,)

UBCO professor vying for Central Okanagan federal Liberal nomination

Sean Mott

Dr. Mary Ann Murphy will be seeking the nomination at the Liberal Party's B.C. convention in Kelowna this weekend.

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Mary Ann Murphy

November 16, 2018 - 2:45 PM

KELOWNA - An associate UBC professor is vying for the federal Liberal party nomination in the riding of Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola, which is currently held by the Conservatives.

Dr. Mary Ann Murphy will be seeking the nomination at the Liberal Party's B.C. convention in Kelowna this weekend. The riding is currently represented by Conservative MP Dan Albas.

"I am excited to be in the running for this nomination," Murphy said in a press release. "This riding is ready for progressive change in 2019."

Murphy is an associate professor at the UBC Okanagan campus. The West Kelowna resident has worked in private industries, academia, and governments, including the United Nations as a doctoral student, according to the release.

She plans to advocate for many issues if she's chosen to represent the party, paying particular attention to the environment.

"I am very passionate about protecting the Okanagan environment as linked to the safety, livelihood, and growth of this region," she said.

The Liberal party convention begins today, Nov. 16, at the Delta Grand hotel.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/ubco-professor-vying-for-central-okanagan-federal-liberal-nomination/it57353
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the liberals also intend to open up the nomination in the riding held by Nicola Di Iorio the mp who earlier said he'd quit but then didn't and instead never showed up in the house for work )

Candidate for Liberal nomination in Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel signing up new members

By Abbas Rana Nov. 19, 2018

Hassan Guillet says he does not currently live in the riding, but has 11 close family members who live in Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel, Que.

Liberal MP Nicola Di Iorio, left, has said he'll officially resign on Jan. 22. Quebec Imam Hassan Guillet says he intends to seek the Liberal Party's nomination in the riding, and has already started signing-up members. The Hill Times file photograph and courtesy of Facebook

The Liberal Party will open up nominations in the coveted Quebec riding of Saint-Leonard-Saint-Michel in January after incumbent MP Nicola Di Iorio's announced resignation takes effect, but already a potential candidate says he's started to sign up members ahead of the contest. In an interview with The Hill Times, Hassan Guillet, a retired executive in the aerospace industry and a former spokesman of the Council of Quebec Imams, said he's interested in the nomination and is reaching out

https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/11/19/candidate-liberal-nomination-saint-leonard-saint-michel-signing-new-members/176627
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a reliable source of articulate social justice advocates. But they illustrate the way our institutions are being corrupted.

When we have an election, it is really 308 separate elections. The theory holds that we are picking a representative that will "represent" the mainstream of the riding, regardless of party.

Those people go to Parliament and organize themselves into factions. We are only observers to this, which political scientists call "brokering". In a sense, it is trading support on one issue for support for another.

But it has changed. Now the party essentially appoints those who willl represent it (the party) to the public. The voter is 'wooed' the same way that Cashmere competes with Cottonelle. Once elected, the new member's vote is pre-brokered, so to speak -- which is another way of saying the voters' interests have a lower priority than less local party objectives.

This is the Liberal Party recruiting ambitious professioal women for positions of future power. It is not grassroots organizations cooperating to put a candidate forward. It's corporate, top-down organizational recruiting for the position of deceiving the ham&eggers ...

Andrew Scheer would do the same thing.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( liberals are also searching for a strong candidate for the ndp stronghold of Hamilton Centre , a riding I personally though Singh should of considered running in instead of in BC )

Liberals aggressively searching for candidate for post-Christopherson race in Hamilton Centre

Federal Liberals beating the bushes to find strong candidate for 2019 election

Opinion 06:54 PM by Andrew Dreschel  Hamilton Spectator|

Is the riding of Hamilton Centre a NDP bastion or MP David Christopherson's personal stronghold?

The federal Liberals believe it's the latter. And with Christopherson calling it quits next year, they're going great guns to find the right candidate to pull the riding into Justin Trudeau's orbit.

"We're being quite aggressive on this," says Tyler Banham, president of the Ontario arm of the Liberal Party of Canada.

According to Banham, four potential Liberal candidates have already taken out nomination papers and party insiders are approaching others.

"We're talking constantly about different people. We're meeting with people. Some people hold elected office at other levels, some people used to be in politics."

Banham declines to reveal names but certainly rumours are floating around that Ward 4 Coun. Sam Merulla is being courted.

Whoever the Liberals — not to mention the Conservatives and Greens — land on, they'll probably need to stave off a fiery effort to keep the riding in the NDP fold by Ward 3 Coun. Matthew Green, Christopherson's chosen successor.

Banham doesn't seem overly concerned about Green waiting in the wings. He believes the dynamic in the riding changed dramatically when Christopherson announced this past summer that, after 14 years in office, he won't be seeking re-election in the Oct. 21, 2019, election.

"The reason why is Hamilton Centre really is a David Christopherson riding," he says. "He's a unique Hamiltonian and people love him."

Like many Hamiltonians, Banham has a lot of respect for Christopherson, who over 30 years of public life has come to epitomize Hamilton's scrappy political culture, first as a city councillor, then as a New Democrat MPP and cabinet minister, and since 2004 as a Ottawa parliamentarian

But with Christopherson out of the picture and the New Democratic Party floundering under leader Jagmeet Singh, Banham figures the Liberals have a good shot at capturing the inner city riding, which includes the downtown.

"I know there are lots of people who think they're David Christopherson, such as former city councillors looking to fill his shoes. But his shoes are gigantic. And it's not easy to fill that void."

That's clearly a reference to Green, who decided, with Christopherson's blessing and support, to seek the NDP nomination rather than run for council re-election. Whether or not Green's nomination will be contested remains to be seen. Nonetheless, it's fair to say a question mark now hangs over what was once a safe NDP Seat.

True, provincially the riding is held by NDP leader Andrea Horwath, suggesting that NDP roots run deep. But perhaps there's some truth in Banham's assessment.

Consider: After years of effortlessly winning the riding since it was first fought over in 2004, Christopherson got a bit of a shock in the 2015 election when Trudeaumania-lite came to town. Popular fervour for Trudeau not only helped sweep into power Liberals Bob Bratina in Hamilton East-Stoney Creek and Filomena Tassi in the new riding of Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas; it also made voters in Hamilton Centre waver.

Christopherson defeated his main opponent, Liberal Anne Tennier, by a comfortable 5,000 votes. But his vote share tumbled by almost 15 per cent while the Liberals' surged by 20 per cent.

Trudeau's political glamour has tarnished since then, of course. But polls suggest he's still far and away the favoured choice for prime minister among Canadians who state a preference.

According to the latest Nanos poll, 38.2 per cent of Canadians prefer Trudeau, 21.9 per cent prefer Conservative Andrew Scheer, while only 5.8 per cent favour Singh. Meanwhile, the CBC Poll Tracker suggests the NDP are sitting at 15.8 per cent support, putting it on track, according to CBC polling analyst Eric Grenier, to losing half its 41 seats.

It's true that a lot can happen between now and Election 2019. Yet it's also true that the loss of Christopherson means Hamilton Centre may no longer be a surefire thing for the NDP.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9054765-liberals-aggressively-searching-for-candidate-for-post-christopherson-race-in-hamilton-centre/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The column demonstrates the 'drawing power' of Trudeau -- he could take 15% of the support from a repeat-winner for the NDP like Christopherson. That's impressive.

I doubt if he can do that again. It's a sad story ... he had such a wonderful opportunity and has blown it. It's the trouble with dynasties -- they so often peter out into haemophiliacs and dunces.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
The column demonstrates the 'drawing power' of Trudeau -- he could take 15% of the support from a repeat-winner for the NDP like Christopherson. That's impressive.

I doubt if he can do that again. It's a sad story ... he had such a wonderful opportunity and has blown it. It's the trouble with dynasties -- they so often peter out into haemophiliacs and dunces.

still Hamilton Centre should be a safe ndp seat , its the provincial riding of Andrea Horwath . the fact the liberals are even openly discussing the possibility of taking a serious run there is telling

this is a seat they have not won federally since 2000 and not won provincially since 2003

it should be safe ndp territory and they already have a city councillor who wants to run for them . and it could end up staying ndp in the end but the fact its even being discussed as possibly not speaks to the ndp weakness at the moment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: