Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The shift is hard': An exclusive look at the disquieting new political reality for Kathleen Wynne and Ontario's defeated Liberals
By Fatima Syed in News, Politics | October 9th 2018

On their first day back at Queen’s Park after the June 2018 Ontario election, the seven elected Liberals couldn’t find a place to meet. There were meeting rooms galore for the Liberals in the castle-like legislative building when they were in government, but on this day, the Liberals regrouped in a restaurant in the basement. A seat short of official party status, minimal staff, and no research money, the makeshift meeting place punctuated a new political reality.

“This was a new world in this building,” said former cabinet minister Michael Coteau, a seven-year MPP for Don Valley East, recalling how he grabbed a plastic jug, filled it with water and brought seven paper cups to that first meeting.

A seat short of official party status, minimal staff, and no research money, the makeshift meeting place punctuated a new political reality.

The Ontario Liberal Party expected to lose the June 7, 2018 election. Too much had happened and too much had been said about their decisions and their leader. Former premier Kathleen Wynne knew it when she stepped down as leader a week before the vote in one of the more emotional and historic moments of the heated campaign. The pundits, too, predicted the Liberal fall.

Members hoped to win at least a minority status in the legislature, but voters had other plans. The Ontario Liberals had been in power for 15 years - a long time in the life cycle of modern politics. When the legislature dissolved for the election, they had 55 seats. The 2018 defeat was a natural course for a party few expected to win four years earlier.

The new reality has set in slowly. In the first 100 days of Premier Doug Ford's Progressive Conservative government, the seven Liberals have been quietly adjusting to their offices on the fourth floor of the legislature – a floor Coteau said he had never ventured to until this year.

“Kathleen Wynne says there's no such thing as a bad office in the Ontario legislature because you're here, right?” said a smiling Coteau, seated on a new sofa in his office. “But the legislature today is an entirely different world.”

Now on the outside looking in, the tiny Liberal team has been enduring an onslaught of finger-pointing by Ford’s government, which has set up a special committee of MPPs to investigate what it says is a $15 billion deficit left by the Liberals.

While still in power the Liberals said this year's deficit would be $6.7 billion. Ontario's auditor general said the Liberals had veered away from standard accounting rules and that the deficit was actually $5 billion higher. After an initial review in September, Ford said the deficit was, in fact, much higher and stood at $15 billion. "Kathleen Wynne and her cronies," he said, should be held accountable for "the biggest government scandal in a generation."

In more ways then one, the electoral defeat is defining the next steps the party is taking to regroup and prepare for the political battles ahead. [....]
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2018/10/09/news/shift-hard-exclusive-look-disquieting-new-reality-kathleen-wynne-and-ontarios
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( we haven't heard much about this party , but this article reveals that 2 high profile federal liberal MP's floated as leadership candidates have both turned down the idea , Adam Vaughan and Mark Holland )

Toronto MP Adam Vaughan Rules Out Run For Ontario Liberal Leadership

"I think it’s time for renewal as opposed to somebody of my age coming in."

By Ryan Maloney

TORONTO — A Liberal MP with a history of squaring off against Ontario Premier Doug Ford has closed the door on a bid to become the next leader of the provincial Grits.

But Adam Vaughan, who served with Ford on Toronto city council for four tumultuous years before making the jump to the House of Commons in 2014, says he won't be quiet when it comes to his old rival.

"I will be taking him on as a federal member of Parliament and as a citizen of Toronto in every opportunity," Vaughan said of the premier. "Doug Ford need not worry about me disappearing into the good night. I plan to be around... to make sure I'm still in office when he isn't."

He emerged as a possible contender for the Ontario Liberal crown in June after the then-governing party was reduced to just seven seats in a provincial election. Former premier Kathleen Wynne resigned as leader but has stayed on as MPP for the Toronto riding of Don Valley West.

Vaughan, who represents Toronto's Spadina-Fort York in the House, told HuffPost Canada Wednesday that he completed the nomination process over the holiday break to run again in October's federal election.

The MP said that while he mulled a jump to provincial politics at the urging of some "pretty serious people," a younger leader is needed for what he anticipates will be a 10 to 15 year project of fully rebuilding the party.

"I think it's time for renewal as opposed to somebody of my age coming in," the 57-year-old said, adding he is happy to continue working on the federal housing strategy as parliamentary secretary to the social development ministers.

“At the end of the day, people in Ontario are going to realize that they didn't elect a government, they elected a loudspeaker.
—Liberal MP Adam Vaughan

Despite at least one recent poll suggesting the party has rebounded to second place, Vaughan said it's time for some new leadership "right across the board" in the province.

"The electorate has taken their shot at the Liberal Party of Ontario and now, with buyer's regret, is looking at what's happening at Queen's Park and realizing there is a better way to do things."

As a city councillor, Vaughan's criticism of controversial former mayor Rob Ford also brought him into conflict with his brother Doug, who served one term at city hall between 2010 and 2014. After Rob Ford died of cancer in 2016, however, Vaughan paid tribute to his old foe in the House.

When Premier Ford moved in July to unexpectedly slash Toronto city council almost in half, Vaughan blasted the move as "vindictive and destructive." In September, the MP rose in the House to say local democracy was "under attack" in Canada's largest city.

Federal Liberals and Ontario Tories have also publicly clashed on Ottawa's carbon pricing plan and the costs of caring for asylum seekers.

Vaughan still doesn't think much of the Ford government.

"At the end of the day, people in Ontario are going to realize that they didn't elect a government, they elected a loudspeaker," he said. "If all they want is bumper stickers, they'll get bumper stickers. But if they want good government, they're going to start looking at other political alternatives."

Liberal whip also passing on looming race

Vaughan isn't the only Liberal MP from Ontario to take a pass on running to lead their provincial cousins. Ajax MP Mark Holland, the chief government whip, told The Globe and Mail that he decided against a leadership bid after giving the idea serious consideration. Holland will also re-offer for the federal Liberals in the next general election.

Though a contest to name Wynne's successor hasn't been announced, former cabinet ministers Mitzie Hunter and Michael Coteau are often cited as potential candidates. Both Toronto MPPs are in their mid-40s, according to Toronto Life.

Sandra Pupatello, who served as a senior cabinet minister under former premier Dalton McGuinty and finished second to Wynne in a 2013 leadership contest, is also considered a possible contender.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/01/09/adam-vaughan-doug-ford_a_23638627/
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Party for sale or rent,
We'll support any government,
No principles, no guts, no spine,
No tape recorders when we dine ...

Jack Layton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl0Mk1idNXg
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too bad;
Adam Vaughan was my dream candidate for the OLP, a perfect example of the party that learned nothing from Wynne's defeat and the process leading up to "why" they were defeated in 2018.

Holland on the other hand would have been a strong get;
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... The MP said that while he mulled a jump to provincial politics at the urging of some "pretty serious people," a younger leader is needed for what he anticipates will be a 10 to 15 year project of fully rebuilding the party. (Italics added.)
—Liberal MP Adam Vaughan

The same thing has happened to the federal NDP. An implosion after a major effort. Vaughan is guessing that it will take three elections before the Liberals again become competitive.

My candidate for OLP leadership? George Smitherman.
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
That is too bad;
Adam Vaughan was my dream candidate for the OLP, a perfect example of the party that learned nothing from Wynne's defeat and the process leading up to "why" they were defeated in 2018.

Aint that the truth.

He would be horrible.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
That is too bad;

were now left wondering who the candidates for leadership will be ? with such a small caucus they need at least a couple non mpp's to run or it won't be a very interesting race

and if no MP's from Ottawa enter its starting to look like a small field
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
That is too bad;

were now left wondering who the candidates for leadership will be ? with such a small caucus they need at least a couple non mpp's to run or it won't be a very interesting race

and if no MP's from Ottawa enter its starting to look like a small field

Its not the best gig to be chasing;
You have to take on the personal debt associated with running and then after you come out the other side you are leading a party that is 5 seats shy of the new party status threshold.

Especially if the field ends up being crowded with existing MPPs;
Only one can win and the rest have to deal with their leadership campaign debt before turning their attention to getting re-elected.

The fact that no one has officially come out and we are months removed from the election with no formal date of the convention makes me wonder if they are waiting till after the 2019 Federal Election hoping someone shakes loose from the Federal Party?

If not;
My first thought would have been Sandra Pupatello, however after losing the Kathleen Wynne I am not sure she was done any favors by sitting on the board at Hydro One.

Aside from someone like Dwight Duncan, there are not many folks who could come in and drum up a ton of excitement for this race.

The expectation may be that its unlikely the party will be returning to power in 2022 and are waiting for the next race to hop in rather than being the Stephane Dion of the Ontario Liberals,.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naqvi not running for Ontario Liberal leadership

Yasir Naqvi's new job effectively rules out a run for the leadership of the Ontario Liberal Party.

a day ago by: Jason White

2018-03-16 Yasir Naqvi SK
Ontario Attorney General Yasir Naqvi, March 16, 2018. Saif Kaiser/OttawaMatters

The former MPP for Ottawa Centre and Attorney General for Ontario is ruling out a run for the provincial party leadership, after taking a new job outside of the political arena.

Yasir Naqvi is the new CEO of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship -- an organization which encourages new Canadian citizens to participate fully in the culture and politics of their new home.

The new gig rules out any leadership aspirations.

"I will not be seeking the leadership of the Ontario Liberal Party," Naqvi stated definitively, on a morning radio talk show.

Naqvi says after last June's provincial election, he focused on spending more time with his family.

"I have two very young children and a wife who's sacrificed a lot for the public service that I was doing," Naqvi told Ottawa Today with Mark Sutcliffe on 1310 NEWS.

Naqvi says leaving politics was a difficult decision, but that he looks forward to his new role.

"This is an opportunity...that is very much aligned with my values set and the kind of things that we need to talk about, nationally and internationally."

https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news/naqvi-not-running-for-ontario-liberal-leadership-1210958
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( big names are out but people are asking for a little know mpp from Ottawa area to run , follow politics and barely heard of who Marie France Lalonde is )

Lalonde says people are asking her to consider running for Ontario Liberal leadership

Jon Willing
Updated: January 22, 2019

Marie-France Lalonde. Ottawa Citizen

Orléans Liberal MPP Marie-France Lalonde says people have approached her about the party leadership, but there’s nothing to talk about because “there is no race right now.”

Lalonde said Tuesday she has been talking to people about the future of the party “and some of those people are asking me to at least consider a run for the leadership,” but she’s been concentrating on Orléans.

Still, the Ontario Liberals this year will likely start firming up the process to select their next leader after they were shellacked in last June’s provincial election.

The Liberals won only seven seats and lost official party status in the legislature. Kathleen Wynne stepped down as Liberal leader after the party’s humiliating election loss.

Three of the Liberal MPPs represent Ottawa ridings.

Ottawa South MPP John Fraser is the interim Liberal leader and he has indicated he’s not interested in pursuing the full leadership, a position confirmed by his office Tuesday.

Ottawa-Vanier MPP Nathalie Des Rosiers’ name has been floating around as a potential leadership hopeful, but her office said Tuesday she wasn’t available to comment on the matter.

Then there are the one-time party stars in Ottawa who could come back in an attempt to rescue the party.

Former Liberal MPP Yasir Naqvi, who lost his Ottawa Centre seat to the NDP’s Joel Harden in the provincial election, was in the post-election conversation about who could succeed Wynne as leader. Naqvi couldn’t be reached for comment.

Lalonde said the small Liberal caucus has been reaching out to people across the province to understand why they couldn’t support the party in 2018.

But she doesn’t want to talk about a leadership race.

Now now, anyway.

“We can talk further down the road when this is more formalized as a race, but my focus right now is really to talk to people, make sure we take a firm stand on holding the Ford government to account, and I’m going to continue to serve the people of Ontario in the best way I can,” Lalonde said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/lalonde-says-people-are-asking-her-to-consider-running-for-ontario-liberal-leadership
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I google search for news about this race , most of the time all I find are articles about who is not running

I'm not even sure if there is anyone actually in the race yet or if anyone has confirmed there actually running

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: