Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: David Tilson Conservative mp Dufferin Caledon retiring Reply with quote

( another cpc mp from Ontario is retiring , David Tilson the mp for Dufferin Caledon has finally decided to retire . although not exactly a surprise as he is in his 70's I believe )

‘I’ve reached that point’: Dufferin-Caledon MP David Tilson won’t seek re-election

Riding’s longtime MP handily ousted Liberal incumbents at both provincial and federal levels

News Oct 01, 2018 by Chris Halliday  Orangeville Banner|

Tilson

Seen here after being elected as Dufferin-Caledon's MP for the fifth straight term in 2015, David Tilson has announced he will not be seeking re-election on Monday (Oct. 1). - Chris Halliday/Metroland

For the first time in nearly 15 years, Dufferin-Caledon will be represented in the House of Commons by someone other than David Tilson after the next federal election.

On Monday, Oct. 1, the longtime MP announced he will not be seeking re-election. Tilson has been elected to serve as the riding’s representative in Ottawa for the last five terms.

“I will not be putting my name forward for re-election in the general election in October of 2019,” Tilson stated. “There comes a point when it is time to step back and let others serve our community. I have reached that point and wish to thank all those who have supported me over the years.”

After first starting to practice law in Orangeville in 1970, Tilson served as trustee on the Dufferin County Board of Education for two terms before becoming an Orangeville councillor for six years. During his time as councillor, Tilson was the founding chair of Orangeville's Blue Box program and a director with the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO).

During the 1990 provincial election, Tilson defeated Liberal incumbent Mavis Wilson in the riding of what was known as Dufferin-Peel and spent the next five years at Queen’s Park as a member of the opposition under the NDP government.

Tilson extended his margin of victory after defeating Wilson by nearly 15,000 votes — he won by 572 votes in 1990 — in the 1995 provincial election. With the Tories forming a majority government, Tilson was appointed chair of the government caucus in 1997.

Tilson would secure another landslide victory in the riding of Dufferin-Peel-Wellington-Grey during the 1999 provincial election. However, he would resign his seat in the legislature to allow Premier Ernie Eves to run as a parachute candidate in a byelection.

In his first bid to become MP, Tilson defeated Murray Calder — another Liberal incumbent — in the 2004 federal election. He was elected as the riding’s MP for four more consecutive terms.

“After close to 40 years in elected office, from school board trustee to town councillor to MPP to MP, I can say with confidence that I have always kept the interests of my constituents firmly focused in front of me,” Tilson remarked. “It has been a singular honour and privilege to have had the trust of constituents placed in me for so many years.”

With Tilson’s decision not to seek re-election, the Conservative party’s Dufferin-Caledon riding association will need to select a new candidate for the 2019 election.

So far, nomination hopefuls Kevin Weatherbee and Harzadan Singh Khattra have submitted their papers. The Banner is awaiting further word on how the nomination process will unfold going forward.

“I will continue to serve as the MP for Dufferin-Caledon until election day in October of 2019,” Tilson said. “My offices in Orangeville and Bolton will continue to provide effective and efficient assistance with all federally-related matters.”

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/8937586--i-ve-reached-that-point-dufferin-caledon-mp-david-tilson-won-t-seek-re-election/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orangeville mayor ‘laser focused’ on re-election campaign amid rumours of interest in succeeding MP David Tilson

‘We’ve heard rumours that 5 or 6 people want to get in,’ says chair of Dufferin-Caledon Conservative riding candidate nomination committee

News Oct 02, 2018 by Chris Halliday  Orangeville Banner|

Here’s what is clear. Longtime Dufferin-Caledon MP David Tilson will not seek re-election, meaning the local federal Conservative riding association will need to select his successor.

So far, two individuals, Kevin Weatherbee and Harzadan Singh Khattra, have been approved as candidates but could there be more?

“We’ve heard rumours that five or six people want to get in,” Derek Clark, chair of the Conservative party’s Dufferin-Caledon electoral district candidate nomination committee, told The Banner. “Until people request the application and submit it, I can only work with that.”

Among the names being whispered in recent rumours is Orangeville Mayor Jeremy Williams. Here is how he responded when asked whether he has any aspirations of possibly replacing Tilson.

“I am laser focused on the mayoral election right now. We will have to wait and see who steps forward to fill Tilson’s place. Hopefully, someone with the drive and passion to do great things for Canada,” Williams told The Banner.

“The current direction we are heading under Trudeau is like watching the Titanic heading straight toward an iceberg,” he said. “Someone needs to stop him.”

On Monday, Oct. 1, Tilson announced he will not be seeking re-election. Serving for more than 40 years as a school board trustee, Orangeville councillor, MPP and MP, Tilson has been elected to serve as the riding’s representative in Ottawa for the last five terms.

“There comes a point when it is time to step back and let others serve our community. I have reached that point and wish to thank all those who have supported me over the years,” Tilson announced.

“I can say with confidence that I have always kept the interests of my constituents firmly focused in front of me,” he added. “It has been a singular honour and privilege to have had the trust of constituents placed in me for so many years.”

Prior to Tilson’s decision, the Dufferin-Caledon riding’s candidate nomination period had been closed. With Weatherbee and Khattra approved as candidates, a third position had previously been earmarked for Tilson.

“David’s silence was interpreted as he was going to compete. As a result of that, the period from when Kevin and Harzadan had originally applied until now was deemed closed. We weren’t accepting applications,” Clark said, noting the nomination period has now been reopened to new applicants.

“Now, anyone else can submit who is either a Conservative member or has just recently joined as a Conservative member,” he added. “The priority was to let the riding know we’re open. The message has gone out.”

It is not known when the nomination period will close. A little more than 24 hours after Tilson’s announcement, Clark said the logistics behind timelines and planning a nomination meeting are still being worked out.

“Pending the demand that we see coupled with some other factors both locally and nationally, we’ll make other decisions around timelines and dates,” he said, clarifying his use of the word “locally” should not be inferred to mean municipal election.

Once the nomination “cut-off date” is determined, Clark said approved candidates would be given about a week to submit any new members they’ve managed to sign up. Typically, he said a nomination vote would be held about three weeks later.

“Then, the membership would decide that night who the next candidate would be,” Clark said.

Anybody interested in submitting an application to become the Conservative Party of Canada’s next candidate in Dufferin-Caledon can send it to davedillon@conservative.ca.

https://www.orangeville.com/news-story/8940052-orangeville-mayor-laser-focused-on-re-election-campaign-amid-rumours-of-interest-in-succeeding-mp-david-tilson/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, October 1, 2018

Dufferin Caledon MP Tilson Will Not Run Again
Dufferin-Caledon | by Jill Young

MP David Tilson says he won't be running again as member of parliament in the next federal election.

Dufferin-Caledon MP David Tilson had an important message for his constituents today.

Tilson announced that after much reflection and discussion with his family and close friends, that he will not be putting his name forward for re-election in the next federal election.

He says after close to 40 years in election office, from school board trustee to town councillor to MPP then MP, it's time to step back and let others serve the community.

He says it's been an honour to serve, and he will continue to do so until election day next October.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....sID=104579
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will be 78 next year, not surprising he is calling it a career.
Always a strong member of caucus both Provincially and Federally and will be missed.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
He will be 78 next year, not surprising he is calling it a career.
Always a strong member of caucus both Provincially and Federally and will be missed.

I think his retirement was expected , was also 2 candidates for cpc nomination already working that riding

the riding is mostly rural , although Orangeville is close to 30,000 people now and Caledon is 66,000 now . its grown a lot in the last decade or so

the liberals and green party will likely contest the riding more than normal in 2019 as it will be open . as the greens had a couple elections where they did well there , it was actually one of there better ridings although it will likely stay cpc unless the nominate a really poor candidate

I can't remember an election in recent memory where this riding did not go pc provincially or conservative federally , think 2000 was the last time it didn't vote conservative and that was when the vote was split between pc's and alliance party

Jump to: