Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(there may not be an election but the conservatives are busy nominating candidates , Chris Lewis in Essex ( former provincial candidate ) , Arpan Khanna in Brampton North , Sarah Fischer in Don Valley North , Daniel Lee in Willowdale , Megan Veck in New Westminster Burnaby , Krystina Waler in St catherines )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Sep 2

Welcome Chris Lewis to the Conservative Team! SHARE the good news! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Sep 1

Welcome Arpan Khanna to the Conservative Team! SHARE the good news! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Aug 31

Sarah Fischer is now part of the Conservative Team! SHARE the good news! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Aug 28

Welcome Daniel Lee to the Conservative Team! The momentum is building for our positive Conservative vision - SHARE the good news! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Aug 27

SHARE the good news! Megan Veck is now part of the Conservative Team! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Aug 26

SHARE the good news! Krystina Waler is now part of the Conservative Team! The momentum is building for our positive Conservative vision! #cdnpoli
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am reading the Tea Leaves correctly;
It seems that everyone is bracing for a potential spring snap election.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
If I am reading the Tea Leaves correctly;
It seems that everyone is bracing for a potential spring snap election.

it make you wonder if that is the plan ? although there is nothing wrong with nominating early .

think the conservatives are looking at the riding maps and ridings they need to win . and realising there going to have to beat a lot of liberal and ndp incumbents to gain new seats . so having a candidate work the riding in advance doesn't hurt when your facing a tough race to begin with
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONTESTING THE NOMINATION – Jonas Smith is seeking the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination for the Yukon riding for the 2019 federal election. Above, he announces his intentions today at the Whitehorse Public Library.

Life-long conservative has ambitions for MP

Jonas Smith announced today he’s seeking the nomination to be the Conservative Party of Canada’s Yukon candidate in next year’s federal election.

By Gord Fortin on September 6, 2018

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonas Smith announced today he’s seeking the nomination to be the Conservative Party of Canada’s Yukon candidate in next year’s federal election.

He made his intentions known at the Whitehorse Public Library this morning.

Smith said he is the third generation of his family to call the territory home, adding he is proud to be raising his children here.

His paternal grandfather served in the military. He moved his family to Whitehorse after the Second World War. His dad was born here.

Smith himself was not, but he has spent most of his adult life in the territory. He said he has been pursuing his “Yukon dream” since 1999.

The territory’s culture fuelled his imagination and helped shape his perspective, he said.

“I believe I have the depth of experience to represent the values and priorities of Yukoners in Ottawa,” Smith said.

He added that his point of view was also influenced by his family’s military service, which showed him the value of democracy.

“I feel extremely blessed that I was raised to believe that democracy is precious and not to be taken for granted,” he said.

Smith will bring his knowledge and experience from his position on the Klondike Placer Miner’s Association and the Yukon Producers’ Group to the pursuit of the nomination.

He also volunteers with the Victoria Gold Corp.’s charity, called Every Student, Every Day.

He is a former president of the Yukon Party and has been on the federal Conservative national council for 2 1/2 years.

He was then-Yukon Party premier Darrell Pasloski’s campaign manager in the 2016 election. He had previously served as Pasloski’s executive assistant and as his chief of staff.

He feels this experience has shown him the interworking of the system.

Smith said he believes every Canadian has the right to his or her own personal choices and freedoms, and feels everyone deserves the same rights.

He wants to ensure that individuals can make their own decisions, and not have the government tell them what’s best.

Smith feels that it’s incumbent on all Canadians to find their best way of serving the country.

He said he has determined running for public office is the best way he can fulfill this duty.

“It would be a privilege to do so on Yukoners’ behalf,” he said.

He said he has always been interested in politics, and military service was not an option for him due to his youth.

He felt the time was right to pursue politics.

He added he understands that politics can have negative effects on people and their families, but is willing to make that sacrifice.

Smith chose the Conservatives because he has been a conservative for most of his life.

He explained that the party’s values are consistent with his own. He also feels that Andrew Scheer’s leadership is what Canada needs.

Smith said the Conservatives are a big tent party for all people. The party is looking to concentrate on issues that everyone agrees on rather than what divides it.

He said he finds himself on both the social conservative and libertarian wings of the party.

“I’m on both sides of the party,” he said.

He said he wants to work to overturn the current ratio between the public and private sectors – without costing jobs and quality of life.

He added he wants to respect and uphold First Nations’ self-determination.

When asked where he stood on mining issues and First Nations’ concerns, he said this is an issue for the Yukon government.

That said, he believes the federal government can provide leadership to make sure both parties are on the same page.

He said he does not yet want to speak on what could be major election issues.

His current focus is on getting his party’s nomination, but he did say that the federal carbon tax will most likely be an issue.

The Conservative nomination period officially opened today and runs for 14 days.

If there is more than one candidate, there would be a vote by party members next month.

Smith said he has heard that there are other people interested in the nomination, but no one else has come forward yet.

As the Star reported last Friday, former MP Ryan Leef has said he has no plans to contest the nomination.

Larry Bagnell, the incumbent Liberal MP, has not publicly indicated whether he will seek the nomination again, and could not be reached for comment before press time this afternoon.

No one has publicly emerged for the New Democrats or the Greens.

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/life-long-conservative-has-ambitions-for-mp
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( former leadership candidate and vocal social conservative Pierre Lemieux has quietly re entered federal politics after being named the conservative candidate for his former riding of glengarry Prescott Russell )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 38m38 minutes ago

We're putting our 2019 team together NOW! RETWEET to spread the good news and congratulate Pierre Lemieux! #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Lewis to be Conservative candidate in Essex in next federal election

Former Kingsville councillor Chris Lewis has been acclaimed as the federal Conservative candidate for the riding of Essex.

Sharon Hill, Windsor Star
Updated: September 5, 2018

File photo of Chris Lewis, who will run for the Conservative party nomination in the 2019 federal election. Dan Janisse / Windsor Star

Former Kingsville councillor Chris Lewis has been acclaimed as the federal Conservative candidate for the riding of Essex.

In a press release this week, he said he is looking forward to the future under the leadership of Andrew Scheer, leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, and bringing a positive change to Essex in the 2019 election.

Lewis, 42, is a businessman and a retired Kingsville firefighter.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/chris-lewis-to-be-conservative-candidate-in-essex-in-next-federal-election
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strathroy businessman seeks Tory nomination
By Colin GowdySeptember 14, 2018 4:28pm

A well known Strathroy businessman is seeking the federal Conservative Party nomination in the Lambton-Kent-Middlesex riding.

Peter Cuddy of Cuddy Farms made the official announcement in Strathroy Friday
afternoon.

Bev Shipley, the current Tory MP for the riding, announced in July he won’t be seeking re-election after 12 years in office.

Cuddy said his extensive experience in agriculture will be put to good use in Ottawa.

“Because I’m a farmer, I grew up as a farmer, my parents had a farm family, we obviously grew turkeys and got into the chicken business, we grew beef cattle, I know dairy, and of course cash cropping was always apart of it,” said Cuddy. “So I think I have the fundamental background to be a good representative for Lambton-Kent-Middlesex.”

Cuddy said if elected, he would give pro-life supporters more of a voice on Parliament Hill.

“You know my family’s been here since 1832, so I understand the importance of family and of family values, and I think that’s absolutely critical in any riding, but especially a farm and rural community like Lambton-Kent-Middlesex. It’s critically important and I think I can bring some value to that.”

Cuddy said he also understands trade from his experience with international trade at Cuddy Farms. He said he thinks the Trudeau government is lacking immensely in that area.

Cuddy said he hopes to carry on the legacy of Shipley if elected in the fall of 2019.

https://blackburnnews.com/sarnia/sarnia-news/2018/09/14/prominent-strathroy-businessman-seeks-conservative-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Georgina residents seek federal Tory nomination for York-Simcoe

News 01:25 PM by Heidi Riedner  Georgina Advocate|

Two Georgina residents have their sights set on federal politics with outgoing York-Simcoe MP Peter Van Loan set to retire Sept. 30.

Former Bonnie Boats marina owner Scot Davidson and former Georgina Arts Centre & Gallery executive director Heather Fullerton announced they will be seeking the Conservative party nomination for the federal riding of York-Simcoe.

While speculation abounds whether what is considered to be one of the safest Tory ridings in the province may be prime pickings for a parachute candidate, Davidson says he is “in the race” regardless.

Small business is the main thrust of the platform, says the longtime Sutton resident, who has also lived in Sharon and currently calls Duclos Point home.

“York-Simcoe is built on small business, especially farming, and I’ve been involved with both my whole life,” says Davidson, who has owned numerous companies during the past two decades, including Coffee Way on Dalton Road in Sutton, the Blue Moose Bar & Grill, Fish Crisp and most recently the former Bonnie Boats marina in Jackson’s Point.

“Helping out small business and struggling families are two of my passions.”

Davidson says he wants to simplify things for people, many of whom are “holding on by their fingernails due to high government corporate tax and various red tape issues”.

He also thinks it’s time York-Simcoe gets more competitive.

“Let’s face it, it’s a tough business world out there now and you have to sell yourself.”

While Davidson has sat on numerous town committees and boards — including Georgina’s waterways committee, the Lake Simcoe stakeholders committee and Georgina Health Council — he says the “macro picture” has always interested him.

If successful in his political bid, Davidson says he plans on working hard to build on the foundations laid by Van Loan, including moving forward on the Connecting Link transportation artery linking Hwys. 400 and 404.

“I’ve learned in my life there is no substitute for hard work. I’m the type of guy that no matter what I’ve done, I always roll up my sleeves and work hard. The time is right for me now to give back to my community and I think I can make a difference.”

Fullerton, 56, is most recognized for her 10-year role at the helm of Georgina’s Arts Centre & Gallery.

While the Jackson’s Point resident admits politics is a new arena for her, she says the role at its heart involves the basic tenets she ascribes to in both her professional and personal lives.

“My entire life has been devoted to helping our community and doing whatever I can to help people connect and make things happen,” says the recipient of both Georgina’s Citizen of the Year and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee awards recognizing volunteerism and contribution to community.

“This may be on a bigger scale than I’m used to, but it remains about helping make connections and good things happen.”

She says the health of Lake Simcoe and supporting local infrastructure projects and programs to offset growth-related pressures are two of her biggest priorities.

The Region’s Upper York Sewage Solutions project, the province’s Connecting Link as well as other infrastructure needs are examples of what Fullerton says she will examine as part of ensuring York-Simcoe has the appropriate federal programs and supports in place.

“Whatever can be done at the federal level to help constituents as the area continues to grow is my concern.”

Fullerton, who has run a number of small businesses in her professional career and who is the current director of development for a front-line organization based in Etobicoke fighting poverty and helping those in need, has sat on numerous local boards, committees and organizations.

That includes the Sutton Fair, Georgina Historical Society and Jericho Youth Services boards, both the Jackson’s Point and Sutton business associations, the town’s cultural planning committee, and Sutton District High School advisory council.

With a nod to Van Loan's contributions to the riding during the past 14 years, Fullerton says her hope would be to follow his example.

"He was always very involved in the community and available to constituents."

Both Davidson and Fullerton will update their political websites and Facebook pages with fleshed out campaigns during the next month, with both appealing for public input regarding the issues that matter most to people in the riding.

The main focus for both during the next few weeks, however, will be signing up as many party memberships as possible before the Sept. 27 deadline.

Eligible voters must be party members to cast a ballot for the nomination vote, which most likely will take place about 30 days after the Sept. 27 deadline.

Both Davidson and Fullerton stress the importance of the nomination process and add membership is vital to ensuring as many people as possible have a say in not only who will represent the party as a candidate, but potential MP, as well.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-story/8888999-2-georgina-residents-seek-federal-tory-nomination-for-york-simcoe/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis is not ruling out running for re-election in his own district or running federally. I know that federal politics had been mentioned to him during the CPC leadership race.

'Anything's a possibility,' says Paul Davis on potential federal run

Quote:
Former Tory premier Paul Davis was coy Thursday night about his own political future, leaving the door open for a run at a federal seat in next year's election — while not ruling out another provincial run, either.

Davis, while appearing at Ches Crosbie's campaign headquarters in the Windsor Lake byelection, told CBC's Anthony Germain he is not ruling anything out, and was open to a federal run.

"Anything's a possibility," Davis said about his own political future.

"Yeah, there's a future ahead in politics. I don't know what my role is going to be."

Davis, who led the provincial Tories to defeat in the 2015 general election, stepped down as party leader earlier this year, paving the way for a leadership contest that Crosbie won in April.

Davis acknowledged he has an eye on federal politics.

"I got to know Andrew Scheer when I was leader and he became leader, and worked closely with Rona Ambrose before that," referring to the former interim leader of the Conservative Party and Opposition Leader.

"I think it's very, very important for us to try and tighten and improve on those relationships."

Pitched in on byelection campaign

Davis, when asked again, didn't give a definitive no when asked about the possibility of running next year in the provincial election.

Both the federal election and provincial election are scheduled for the fall of 2019.

"As a provincial politician I've always taken the approach that for me Newfoundland and Labrador, and Newfoundlanders and Labradorians always come first."

Davis said he for the most part stayed away from the byelection campaign, but offered his help each time he was asked, knocking on doors with other caucus members.

"We had a good time, it was a good time for us. I always enjoy campaigns and meeting people, listening to their concerns and talking to them about politics of the day," Davis said.

"We did that as a caucus over the last few weeks and I think it was a good experience for us as well."
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bradford farmer Jason Verkaik running for York-Simcoe MP

Current York-Simcoe MP Peter Van Loan is retiring later this month. Other candidates include Heather Fullerton and Scot Davidson
185 shares
Sep 20, 2018 1:00 PM by: Miriam King

2018-09-19-jason verkaik
Jason Verkaik, owner, operator and president of Carron Farms in the Holland Marsh, is seeking the nomination for Conservative Party of Canada candidate in the riding of York-Simcoe. Submitted photo

The election that is on everyone’s mind is the municipal race, with just over a month until Voting Day.

But there is another race underway in the federal riding of York-Simcoe. Sitting MP Peter Van Loan has announced that he will be retiring from the political arena at the end of this term – leaving a vacancy in the Conservative Party of Canada. The race is now on to nominate a candidate in the riding, for next year’s federal election.

Three candidates have stepped forward to seek the nomination, and the clock is ticking. Each is working to sign up supporters – people willing to join the Conservative Party of Canada and pay the $15 fee, and come out to a future Nomination Meeting to vote. And they only have until September 27 to build that base of support.

Jason Verkaik has been involved in politics for more than a decade – but not from the perspective of a political candidate.

Owner, operator and president of Carron Farms in the Holland Marsh, a fourth generation farmer, past chair of the Ontario Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association, a member of the Canadian Horticultural Council, a director on the Ontario Produce Marketing Board, for years he has been lobbying government on agricultural issues that range from red tape, to international trade.

“I’ve always been involved in that type of leadership role, being on boards and committees,” Verkaik said. “I did a lot of lobbying, and worked on behalf of small business and agriculture.”

Travelling to Ottawa to comment on policies before the Senate committee and agriculture committee, he found himself trying to tell government that “some of the policies are crippling us… They have unintended consequences.”

Verkaik noted: “Over the last eight years I’ve been involved in politics as a leader in farm organizations. I think, watching over time and seeing how you almost had to explain the policy that had already been passed… good intentions don’t always mean good results.”

Now, he said, “rather than lobbying I want to work on the other side, developing policy that’s a lot more practical and efficient.”

That’s why he is seeking the nomination for Conservative Party of Canada candidate in the riding of York-Simcoe. Verkaik has restructured his farm business to allow him to spend more time on his community activities, which include coaching for Bradford Storm minor ball and the Barrie Christian Hockey League, and on politics.

Verkaik has been on the board of the York-Simcoe Conservative Association for years, and he became its president last year. When MP Peter Van Loan announced his retirement from politics at the end of this term, Verkaik said he thought, “Maybe this time.”

With a green light from his wife and two children, he has taken a leave of absence from his role in the association and is throwing his hat into the ring.

“I really do have a passion for this – to be within the community, and make positive change.”

Key issues include protecting Lake Simcoe by reinstating the Lake Simcoe Clean-up Fund, lowering taxes, and improving the environment for business and trade.

“We have to make policies that make Canada open to business. Canada needs to be competitive. If Canada’s not competitive, everything else falls away,” Verkaik said. “Listening, talking with people – we need to rebuild our image as a strong, powerful economic nation.”

In particular, Verkaik is worried that the federal government is handling NAFTA talks “poorly,” and is failing to support both business and agricultural sectors.

Governments have done a good job creating awareness of the need to protect farmland, he said, “but we’ve forgotten about protecting the farmers and the business of farming. We gain nothing from protecting the farmland but not the farmer, and we can extend that out to small business.”

Policies to reduce red tape and eliminate conflicting regulations are on his agenda, as are bringing back the tax credit for parents who put their kids into sports, and the Bradford Bypass (Highway 400-404 Connecting Link).

“A big thing for our riding is the bypass,” said Verkaik. Although it is a provincial project, “if we can fight for some federal dollars, I think it’s time for that to happen. I think the federal government can come into play here with funding.”

Verkaik called for parties to work together, to solve the country’s issues. “Let’s make decisions that go beyond electoral cycles. If we’re thinking four years, nothing gets done to make a proper foundation,” he said. “The people need to shape government, not the government shape people.”

Verkaik is a businessman, family man, and community partner – not only through his coaching, but his contributions to the local food bank, LOFT residence for seniors, and the Teen Challenge program, sharing fresh local produce grown in the Holland Marsh.

“I love where I live. I want the best for this riding because I want the best for my family. This is where I live,” he said. “Our families are the foundation of our community, and that’s the foundation of our country.”

He added, “I believe in my ability to do this. I believe I have the skills." And with his past experience, and provincial and federal contacts, “I’d be able to hit the ground running.”

https://www.bradfordtoday.ca/local-news/bradford-farmer-jason-verkaik-running-for-york-simcoe-mp-1053863
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the conservatives also appear to have a candidate in the Yukon )

Jonas J. Smith‏ @jonasjsmith · Sep 22

I am pleased to announce that as of 5pm Thursday, Sept 20 2018, I was acclaimed as the @CPC_HQ candidate for #Yukon for the next (federal) general election. Now on to the next step: election readiness. Thank you again for your insights and support!
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Former Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis is not ruling out running for re-election in his own district or running federally. I know that federal politics had been mentioned to him during the CPC leadership race.

Quote:
Former Tory premier Paul Davis was coy Thursday night about his own political future, leaving the door open for a run at a federal seat in next year's election — while not ruling out another provincial run, either.

Davis, while appearing at Ches Crosbie's campaign headquarters in the Windsor Lake byelection, told CBC's Anthony Germain he is not ruling anything out, and was open to a federal run.

"Yeah, there's a future ahead in politics. I don't know what my role is going to be."

Davis, who led the provincial Tories to defeat in the 2015 general election, stepped down as party leader earlier this year, paving the way for a leadership contest that Crosbie won in April.

"I got to know Andrew Scheer when I was leader and he became leader, and worked closely with Rona Ambrose before that," referring to the former interim leader of the Conservative Party and Opposition Leader.

"I think it's very, very important for us to try and tighten and improve on those relationships."

Davis, when asked again, didn't give a definitive no when asked about the possibility of running next year in the provincial election.

Both the federal election and provincial election are scheduled for the fall of 2019.

"As a provincial politician I've always taken the approach that for me Newfoundland and Labrador, and Newfoundlanders and Labradorians always come first."

Davis said he for the most part stayed away from the byelection campaign, but offered his help each time he was asked, knocking on doors with other caucus members.

"We had a good time, it was a good time for us. I always enjoy campaigns and meeting people, listening to their concerns and talking to them about politics of the day," Davis said.

"We did that as a caucus over the last few weeks and I think it was a good experience for us as well."

Excuse my ignorance on how the ridings line up to Federal Ridings,
But would the Federal riding for Topsail-Paradise (Davis' old riding) be Avalon or St. John's South—Mount Pearl? Or something entirely different?

Thanks!
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:

Quote:

the 7 Newfoundland ridings are a unique challenge for the conservatives , at this point to my knowledge only former by election Candidate Mike Windsor has been nominated in Bonavista Burin Trinity , so the other 6 are wide open and no real contenders have come forward

I'd imagine Paul davis would make a good candidate if he did in fact run , the 3 St John's area ridings would likely be there best chance at regaining seats there . as there the most historically conservative

although they did somehow win Labrador in 2011 , but that might of been a fluke unlike to repeat
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( former mp John Williamson has been nominated In New Brunswick Southwest , clearly when looking at the provincial results . that riding should be very much in play . all the provincial ridings within it are now pc .

based on the provincial results I'd also say Fredericton , Fundy Royal , Saint John Rothesay and Tobique Mactaquac would be other likely cpc targets )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 14h14 hours ago

We're putting our 2019 team together NOW! SHARE to spread the good news and congratulate John Williamson! #cdnpoli

( the cpc also has been nominating some new candidates in liberal held ridings in Montreal ( Honore Mercier , Lasalle Emard Verdun , Pierrefonds Dollard ) , all of which realistically are long shots , which is why its a surprise there nominating so early )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 17h17 hours ago

Welcome Guy Croteau to the Conservative Team! The momentum is building for our positive Conservative vision - SHARE the good news! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Sep 14

We're putting our 2019 team together NOW! SHARE to spread the good news and congratulate Mariam Ishak! #cdnpoli

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Sep 11

Welcome Claudio Rocchi to the Conservative Team! The momentum is building for our positive Conservative vision - RETWEET the good news! #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local radio personality to seek Conservative nomination

Wallaceburg businessman and radio personality Greg Hetherington plans seek the nomination for the Conservative candidacy in Lambton-Kent-Middlesex riding.

David Gough David Gough
More from David Gough

Published on: September 25, 2018 | Last Updated: September 25, 2018 7:34 PM EDT

Wallaceburg businessman and radio personality Greg Hetherington plans seek the nomination for the Conservative candidacy in Lambton-Kent-Middlesex riding.

Hetherington, the owner of Five Amigos Broadcasting’s 99.1 CKXS FM, is banking on name recognition and community service experience to help him make the jump from behind the microphone to a seat in the House of Commons.

He is expected to make it official Tuesday.

“I’m a community person, I love the community that I live in and I always want to help wherever I can with community events or people in my community,” he said. “I think this is the biggest thing I can do to help my community – is to represent them at another level.”

Hetherington has spent almost 30 years in the radio broadcasting business but has no political experience.

As a member of the news media, said he’s up-to-date on what’s happening politically locally and nationally.

“I think I have a pretty good grasp of the country, and what’s right and what’s wrong, and what’s right in the community and what can be helped in the community,” Hetherington said. “I have a great grasp of what the community wants (but) zero political experience.”

Hetherington is a Conservative party member, but said he hasn’t been a member for a long time.

He admits to voting Liberal in the past.

“I don’t necessarily call myself a staunch Conservative,” he said. “I have a liberal heart and a conservative mind.

“So I think there’s a good way you can balance the two of them, but the key component of me wanting to run for the Conservative party is their concern of the debt of the country,” he added.

If he wins the Conservative nomination, Hetherington said he plans to go off the air.

Lambton-Kent-Middlesex is considered among one of the safest Conservative seats in Canada. MP Bev Shipley has been the local MP since 2006. Shipley announced his retirement earlier this year, saying he was not planning to run in the next federal election, scheduled for October 2019.

Also seeking the nomination for the Conservative candidacy in Lambton-Kent-Middlesex are Bruce Lamb and Peter Aarssen.

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/news/local-news/local-radio-personality-to-seek-conservative-nomination

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: