Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I notice that the PCs in Ontario are going to issue their own news. which has (of course) enraged those posing as journalists.

I doubt that this is the universal answer, but it responds to the problem -- which is that the media, everywhere, has taken the other side. Harper responded to the problem but it was hardly a satisfactory answer.

If we like it or not, Governments at all levels and all political stripes spend taxpayer dollars essentially "advertising" what Government does.

Be it a TV, YouTube, or radio ad, press release, or some unnecessary cheque presentation oozing of pomp.

While Fords approach to release this information to the public is unorthodox, the methodology behind it is not.

Conventional media screaming this is some sort of affront to the paper and ink gods is nonsense but generally speaking most of the anti-Ford rhetoric thus far has been.
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my take.

Not truly a bad idea.

A horrible way to go about it. The reasoning is specious.

Mainly appears to be done because Doug is butt hurt over his horrible showing at City Hall. He revels in the payback game.

Add in the Muni's are due in November and this allows little time for the re-jigging. Fine people have spent money already and they perhaps may not have any avenue to run in.

He could have easily put together a report that showed the savings, showed the benefits, showed the re-jigs lines for wards or whatever.He could have mentioned it anywhere in the lead up to his elections, hell, he couldve buried it on the last page in fine print for all I care.

But he didnt. He wanted to gloat over the unnecessary ruckus caused.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the acid test will be if Toronto City Council becomes more coherent and starts to get things done, then we'll all know it was a good thing. If it stays like it is, we'll know that at least it doesn't cost as much.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
Heres my take.

Not truly a bad idea.

A horrible way to go about it. The reasoning is specious.

Mainly appears to be done because Doug is butt hurt over his horrible showing at City Hall. He revels in the payback game.

Sometimes there are perks to your job;
Ford getting to stick it to city council is one of those perks;

However, I wouldn't chalk it up to the primary reason for it, just a bonus.
Doug Ford can be a vindictive prick while deploying an effective and smart idea, doesn't make it any less of a effective idea.

I would imagine the primary reasoning is timing, the election is pending, he has a majority mandate right now, and if it wasn't done now it would have had to wait till beyond the next Provincial Election.

The ruckus and the potential sadistic pleasure he will get from watching former city hall allies rip each other to bits during nomination battles simply becomes a by-product of the timing.

Toronto Centre wrote:
Add in the Muni's are due in November and this allows little time for the re-jigging. Fine people have spent money already and they perhaps may not have any avenue to run in.

In that regard,
It really does suck for anyone who has put the time, energy, and effort into a campaign thus far to find you are now running in a new ward.

The issue is that Ford's argument on the surface is sound;
25 MPs, 25MPPs, 25 Councillors,
Its not all that dissimilar from the former Premiers reasoning for increasing the amount of Provincial seats to match Federal boundaries.

The counter argument from those opposed is almost entirely emotional;
I could be sold on the idea as to why 47 is needed, but no one within council has really attempted to justify why that many are needed.

They have simply resorted to targeting Ford personally and that isn't a sound counterargument.

I have empathy for the chaos this will cause for those folks on the ground;
But not enough for me to feel this is anything short of a good idea.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: