Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: California, Quebec squeeze Ontario on pollution permits Reply with quote

Quote:
California, Quebec close carbon market to Ontario
SHAWN MCCARTHY GLOBAL ENERGY REPORTER
OTTAWA
PUBLISHED JUNE 17, 2018
UPDATED 13 HOURS AGO

California and Quebec have closed the joint carbon market to Ontario, preventing companies from dumping some $2.8-billion in emissions allowances after premier-designate Doug Ford announced an end to the provincial cap-and-trade system.

While Mr. Ford’s decision could provoke lawsuits from companies that purchased allowance, the province is also set to join Saskatchewan’s legal fight over the federal government’s right to impose its carbon tax where provinces have not levied their own carbon price, whether by direct tax or cap-and-trade system.

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe welcomed Mr. Ford as an ally in the fight over carbon taxes that his province has been waging for the past two years.

In announcing the decision Friday, Mr. Ford played down the potential for lawsuits. Mr. Ford said companies that are holding emission allowances will benefit from the removal of the regulatory burden going forward.

“They’re going to be quite happy that they won’t pay in the future; it’s putting money back into businesses’ pockets and families’ pockets, [and] I think people will be pleased,” he said. Asked whether the province is facing lawsuits, he said: “I don’t believe so; we’ve looked into that and we don’t see a problem with that.”

The move by Ontario’s partners in the Western Climate Initiative comes as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s principle secretary, Gerry Butts, suggested Mr. Ford’s action has left the province open to lawsuits.

“That didn’t take long,” Mr. Butts tweeted on the weekend in reference to the move by Quebec and California. “Lawyers, start your billable hours. Ontario is now open for business. Business = pointless litigation.”
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-premier-designate-doug-ford-does-not-expect-any-lawsuits-from/

This is something that I find shocking. First, that Ontario companies have already paid $2 billion+ for these "pollution permits", assuming a market to exist in these paper assets. And now, it turns out, they cannot sell them!

The legislation was, no doubt, written in such a way as to have this effect. Butts is virtually issuing an invitation.

This is how the state -- in whatever western country you might choose -- operates, increasingly. It's one of the ways the modern state wields power, 'through administrative tricks rather than legislatively authorized uses of discretion. In this case, economic structures in the private economy are being tagged as a way of striking at Ford's determination to take Ontario out of the carbon scheme.

It's how modern-day activists work -- they infiltrate governments, and use their offices, as much as possible, to promote 'causes'. And they don't hesitate to use 'shake-downs' ... because the their cause is so-oo important.

I find it very disturbing, though I wish I knew more of the details. But I don't expect Conservatives to be concerned. Leadership is not on offer. Scheer will stand on the sidelines testing the wind, not knowing what to do ... he won't 'spearhead' anything.

I think his real political model is not Stephen Harper but John Tory ... another wind-tester and a consistent loser.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of the opinion that the only thing that prevented the outrage associated with Ontario money largely leaving the province as part of this carbon market is the majority of the electorate had no idea that money was leaving the Province as part of this carbon trading or certainly no where near as much.

Jump to: