Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Vis (front, second from right) talks with supporters and continues to check election results after giving his concession speech in 2015. Vis hopes to run again in next year’s federal election. File photo

Brad Vis hoping to be Conservative candidate in Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon

In 2015, Vis narrowly lost to Jati Sidhu in riding stretching from Abbotsford to Lillooet
Tyler Olsen/
May. 7, 2018 9:30 a.m./
Local News/
News

Brad Vis wants to take another swing at federal politics.

Vis ran as the Conservative Party candidate in the newly created riding of Mission-Matsqui-Fraser Canyon in 2015, losing out to Liberal Jati Sidhu.

Now, Vis says he will again seek the Conservative nomination for the riding, which includes all of Mission, a large chunk of north Abbotsford, and territory reaching to Lillooet in the north.

In a press release sent out Thursday, Vis – who has been working for Abbotsford MP Ed Fast since the 2015 vote – said he’s confident that the Conservatives can claim the riding in 2019.

“What I’ve heard loud and clear is that the Liberals are taking for granted our small business owners, that many people in the riding feel threatened because Justin Trudeau is attacking our freedom of religion (summer jobs program), and that the Government is recklessly spending our nation into generational deficits our children and grandchildren will be left to pay,” Vis said in the release.

Next year’s election is set for Oct. 21, 2019, but the Conservatives are expected to nominate a candidate by the end of June.

In 2015, Vis claimed 35 per cent of the vote, to Sidhu’s 37 per cent. The two candidates were separated by a little more than 1,000 votes, but the riding was among the last in the country to be decided.

https://www.missioncityrecord.com/news/brad-vis-hoping-to-be-conservative-candidate-in-mission-matsqui-fraser-canyon/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news the cpc is courting 2 high profile mayor's in quebec to run as candidates in ndp held ridings ( Trois Rivieres and Abitibi Temiscaming )

The Mayor of Trois

Christopher Nardi

Friday, May 11, 2018 16:35

Update Friday, May 11, 2018 16:35

OTTAWA | Mayor of Trois

"I have deep enough intentions [to run in federal elections]. I have the taste to make the jump and to bring my voice to the federal [...] But it is absolutely necessary that I have the approval of my wife. It will still be my ninth election campaign and it is quite demanding, "says Mr. Levesque lightly in an interview with Le Journal.

Mr. Lévesque was first elected to the Trois Since 2001, he is mayor of the new city of Trois

His interest in federal politics is not a secret. In fact, it was reported a few days ago that he met Conservative leader Andrew Scheer one-on-one during his tour of Quebec.

"I really enjoyed my meeting with the chef and his openness. He greatly appreciates the idea of ​​respecting each province and wants to make sure that Quebec has a strong voice and that Quebec MPs are listened to, "said Lévesque, 60, who was also courted by the Liberals. by Justin Trudeau for the 2015 elections.

Indeed, Mr. Lévesque has been approached recurrently since 2004 to make the jump at the federal level. He had always declined the offer so far.

The Conservative Party of Canada, in full operation of charm in Quebec, holds for the first time a conference this weekend in Sainte-Hyacinthe where are expected 400 activists.

Moreover, a reliable source told the Journal that the party is strongly courting the former mayor of Rouyn-Noranda, Mario Provencher, hoping to win the seat of NDP MP Christine Moore in 2019. It should to be present at the congress.

This weekend, Quebec members of the party will consider resolutions on sales taxes on digital content, migrants at the border and a single tax return.

They will adopt resolutions that will be submitted at the party's national convention in Halifax in August.

http://www.journaldemontreal.c.....le-en-2019
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( if you've ever seen a canuck game on tv , think this is the guy who sings the anthem )

White Rock tenor announces bid for Conservative nomination

Well-known for singing O Canada, Mark Donnelly announces quest for South Surrey-White Rock seat
Tracy Holmes/
May. 10, 2018 7:30 a.m./
Local News/
News

A White Rock tenor known for his renditions of O Canada at Canucks games and sundry other events is getting political.

Mark Donnelly announced via Facebook Wednesday that he is seeking the Conservative nomination for the South Surrey-White Rock riding for the 2019 federal election.

“I believe our federal government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, is running Canada off a cliff,” he elaborates on his ‘Nominate Mark Donnelly’ webpage.

According to his post, an event is planned for 10-11:30 a.m. Saturday at Ethical Addiction Apparel (1558 128 St.) – “I might even sing a song or two.”

Others who have announced nomination bids so far include Kerry-Lynne Findlay – who ran in December’s byelection – and former Prince George mayor Shari Green.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/white-rock-tenor-announces-bid-for-conservative-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Tory MP Devinder Shory to seek nomination in Skyview

More from James Wood

Published on: May 17, 2018 | Last Updated: May 17, 2018 5:55 PM MDT

Former Conservative MP Devinder Shory has announced he is seeking the party's nomination in Calgary Skyview. Postmedia Archives

Former Conservative MP Devinder Shory is trying for a political comeback in northeast Calgary.

Shory is one of two candidates seeking the Conservative nomination in Calgary Skyview, the riding where he lost in the 2015 federal election, said party spokesman Cory Hann.

Lawyer Jagdeep Kaur Sahota, who ran unsuccessfully for the Progressive Conservatives in Calgary-McCall provincially in 2015, has also filed with the Conservative party to run for the federal nomination.

Hann said both candidates are currently being vetted and no nomination date has yet been set.

Shory was the MP for Calgary Northeast from 2008 to 2015 before losing to Liberal Darshan Kang in the new Skyview riding in the last federal vote.

Kang was one of two Liberal MPs elected in Calgary in the last election, breaking a four-decade-long drought for the Grits in the city.

However, Kang left the Liberal caucus to sit as an Independent last year as he faced allegations of sexual harassment by a constituency office staffer. A House of Commons investigation in March found the charges partially substantiated.

Liberal party spokesman Braeden Caley said in an email the party has not opened nominations in Calgary Skyview, or any other riding, for the 2019 federal election.

Kent Hehr, the MP for Calgary Centre, remains in the Liberal caucus but resigned from cabinet earlier this year over sexual harassment allegations dating to his time as an Alberta MLA. An investigation is ongoing.

A number of candidates are lining up to seek the Conservative nod in Calgary Centre, while in Calgary Forest Lawn, incumbent MP Deepak Obhrai faces a challenge for the Tory nomination from former MLA Moe Amery.

No nomination opponents to the city’s remaining seven Conservative MPs emerged ahead of the party’s December deadline for ridings with incumbents.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/.....a-comeback
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Deepak Obhrai posted to twitter that he is now the cpc candidate in his riding , either he won the nomination or other person running against him dropped out or was DQ , not sure yet )

Hon Deepak Obhrai PC‏Verified account @deepakobhrai · 1h1 hour ago

I am pleased to state that I am the official candidate for the electoral district of Calgary Forest Lawn for the @CPC_HQ in the #elxn2019 #yyc #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obhrai survives ‘conspiracy’ nomination challenge

By Rachel Gilmore. Published on May 23, 2018 11:10am

Deepak Obhrai. iPolitics/Matthew Usherwood

The Conservative caucus’ longest serving MP, Deepak Obhrai, has secured himself the nomination in the riding he’s held since 1997.

That means the failed Conservative leadership candidate will be running again in 2019.

“This whole process was very good for me, because it allowed me to engage with my community, with my people,” Obhrai said.

“The people spoke and that’s the best thing that can happen.”

Obhrai’s current riding, Calgary Forest Lawn, was created in 2015 out of parts of Calgary Northeast and Calgary East. Obhrai had held the Calgary East riding from 1997-2015 until he shimmied over to the newly created riding in the 2015 election.

When the challenge to Obhrai’s long-held nomination was mounted, the veteran MP took to Facebook to decry the move.

“This conspiracy was crafted while I was helping the Conservative Party across Canada, during our outreach effort in the by-election,” Obhrai said in the Dec. 18 Facebook post. “This challenge came as a complete shock to the party, especially since I have been strong in promoting the party nationally.”

Obhrai added that the party had given him permission to fight the nomination challenge, which he referred to in the post as a “ground battle.”

Now that he’s defeated the conspiracy,” Obhrai says he’s feeling great.

“There were individuals who…thought that they had the support when they didn’t, and it manifested by itself,” Obhrai said.

The east Calgary MP isn’t the only failed conservative leadership candidate to have his nomination challenged. Brad Trost, who opposed the Conservative Party’s acceptance of gay marriage at its October convention, and Kellie Leitch, who famously suggested new Canadians should be subject to a values test, both faced nomination challenges. Trost lost his nomination and Leitch opted not to run.

Obhrai, however, has survived to face his opponents the 2019 election.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/23/obhrai-survives-conspiracy-nomination-challenge/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Conservative MLA calls it quits at provincial level

Brian Macdonald won't run again for legislature seat, but might try federal politics

CBC News · Posted: May 28, 2018 6:07 PM AT | Last Updated: May 28

Brian Macdonald, a Progressive Conservative MLA, has announced he won't run in the Sept. 24 provincial election. (CBC)

New Brunswick's Progressive Conservative party is losing one of its highest-profile MLAs just months before the next provincial election.

Brian Macdonald says he won't be a candidate this fall and may instead jump into federal politics.

Calling the last year "my best year in politics," the two-term MLA said his decision has nothing to do with PC Leader Blaine Higgs, who beat Macdonald for the party leadership in 2016.

"It's been a really good year," Macdonald said. "I've had a strong voice in the legislature on issues that are really important to my heart.

"I also think it can be a challenge being in provincial politics. It's very small, it's very close, it's very tight, and on a personal basis, I want to move on."

Macdonald says he’s considering running for the federal Conservative nomination in New Brunswick Southwest, which includes part of the riding of Fredericton West-Hanwell, where he has been the MLA. (CBC)

Macdonald said he's considering running for the federal Conservative nomination in New Brunswick Southwest, a constituency that includes part of Macdonald's provincial riding of Fredericton West-Hanwell.

That decision would pit him against former Conservative MP John Williamson, who announced May 21 he'll also seek the nomination in the riding he represented from 2011 to 2015. Party members in the riding will nominate their candidate June 28.

Macdonald said he'll also consider running federally in Fredericton. The former soldier said he's also looking at job opportunities with national organizations that advocate for veterans.

"I'm looking for opportunities and considering a lot of options," he said.

Macdonald is the fifth candidate from the 2016 provincial PC leadership race to opt against running in this year's election under Higgs.

Macdonald said he is confident he would have won his riding again and the Tories will win the election Sept. 24, meaning he'd have a shot of becoming a minister.

But he said being a provincial politician "does wear on you and it does make you think about what the other options are. … If I go another four years in provincial politics, it concerns me that my options would be limited after that."

The 47-year-old also said the recent death of some friends made him realize he should pursue other opportunities when he can.

Macdonald's interest in federal politics has been well-known for years. He was a political assistant to former federal Defence Minister Peter MacKay and sought the federal Conservative nomination for Fredericton for the 2008 election.

After failing to win that nomination, he ran provincially in Fredericton-Silverwood in 2010 and was elected. He was re-elected in the newly created riding of Fredericton West-Hanwell in 2014, when he defeated then-NDP leader Dominic Cardy.

Macdonald ran for the leadership of the New Brunswick Progressive Conservative Party but lost to Blaine Higgs. (Jacques Poitras/CBC)

In 2016, Macdonald ran for the PC leadership, placing sixth on the first ballot out of seven candidates.

Macdonald said he doesn't think his departure will hurt the provincial party's chances of holding on to Fredericton West-Hanwell.

"It's going to be very attractive to a number of high-calibre candidates who are now beginning to come forward," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4681380
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University professor seeking Conservative nomination in Pontiac riding

June 06, 2018 09:10 am

Dave Blackburn wants to represent the Pontiac as a member of the Federal Conservatives. Blackburn says he’s worked in public service for most of his career, as a Canadian Armed Forces officer for nearly 10 years and currently as a Professor at the Universite du Quebec. Blackburn, who likes to be heaviliy involved with the community, says the Pontiac is a great region and helping it grow is something he sees as a priority.

Currently he’s uncontested for the Conservative nomination locally and hopes he can run in the 2019 election. It’s unknown when he’ll find out if he’s successful in his bid for candidacy, as the date for the nomination announcement has not yet been set.

http://www.renfrewtoday.ca/rss.....ac-riding/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a query ... do we want so-called public servants as MPs, sitting in the pool of talent from which all the cabinet ministers are selected?

This was Kathleen Wynne's road to power. Assistant, then Deputy to the Minister of Education ... to Educaton Minister ... to Premier. And she has made the needs of education paramount, even as she has expanded its role in the remaking of social relationships inside the schools, for transplanting out in the general society.

In the end, the first openly lesbian premier of Ontario implemented the homosexual agenda as the compulsory sexual education curriculum in Ontario schools.

Do we want more of this? Just a thought ... the object of the legislature is to control the civil service, not to service it, after all.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown's nephew seeks MP role

Wayne Lowrie

By Wayne Lowrie, Postmedia Network

Monday, June 11, 2018 8:36:37 EDT PM

Colin Brown, the late MP Gord Brown's nephew, announces his run for the Tory nomination in Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes. (SUBMITTED PHOTO)

The nephew of the late Gord Brown wants to step into his uncle’s shoes as local member of Parliament.

Colin Brown, 25, announced on Monday that he intends to seek the Conservative nomination for the riding of Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes, which became vacant with the untimely death of Gord Brown on May 2.

In a video filmed in his late uncle’s office, Colin Brown said he wants to continue the work started by his uncle who was MP for 14 years.
“I want to build on the legacy left by my uncle, who served this community for over 20 years,” said Brown. “I will be a strong voice for ourcommunity and work hard to earn your support.”

Brown, who stressed the family ties in announcing his candidacy, said it was fitting that he used his uncle’s office for his announcement.

"Gord and I spent so much time in here talking about the riding, politics, business and family,” Brown said. “I miss him every day.”

Saying he wants to continue “my family’s political legacy,” Brown promised a hands-on approach “like my Uncle Gord did for so many years.”

Brown, a livelong Gananoque resident, works in the family hospitality business, which is run by his father Jeff, who was partners with Gord. Colin is a graduate of Algonquin College with a business degree and he has taken political science courses at Concordia University.

Recently, he worked on the Progressive Conservative provincial election campaign, on leader Doug Ford’s tour bus, and he says that Ford supports his candidacy.

In a news release, Brown quotes Ford as saying: “Colin has always demonstrated very strong leadership skills and an excellent work ethic. I am confident that he will be an effective voice for this community.”

Brown’s announcement comes as a bit of a surprise to Conservative Party brass, who were working on a plan to have retired senator and longtime MPP Bob Runciman run in the byelection as a party “unity candidate,” to give Conservatives the time to select a permanent candidate for the general election in October of 2019.

Runciman, who was interested in the idea, said that Brown’s announcement was “unfortunate.”

“I think people who are advising him don’t have his best interests at heart,” Runciman said.

Runciman added he was approached by the party leadership and several potential candidates for the nomination, who encouraged him to stand for the byelection to give the party some “breathing room” to select a candidate after Brown’s death.

In light of Colin Brown’s announcement, Runciman said he will talk to those people again in the next few days before deciding what to do.

Runciman said the party officials viewed him as a calming figure, who could step into Parliament and hit the ground running during the months until the general election. And they wanted to avoid a divisive nomination battle so soon after the provincial election. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau can call a byelection at any time and he must make the call before the end of October.

Runciman said the idea also appealed to his sense of history. Only twice before have former senators been elected to the House of Commons, he said.

Colin Brown said he has the utmost respect for Runciman, whom he described as a “political legend in this riding.”

Brown said that Gord Brown supported Runciman and that Runciman supported his uncle.

“I would hope that Bob could support me to become the next MP in this riding,” Brown added.

Brown said the general election in 2019 will be an important one, and that the party should have a permanent MP in place to fight it.

http://www.recorder.ca/2018/06.....ks-mp-role
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford backs Colin Brown bid

Wayne Lowrie

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:29:45 EDT PM

Premier-designate Doug Ford has intervened in a local Conservative federal nomination race to support Colin Brown, who wants to succeed his late uncle as member of Parliament.

Only hours after Brown announced on Monday that he would seek the Conservative nomination for the byelection, voters in Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes started receiving robocalls from Ford, who urged them to support Colin Brown.

In the recorded calls, Ford calls Brown a hard worker whom he knows personally. He said that Brown would do a good job as an MP.

Brown, who wants to fill the shoes of his late uncle Gord, got to know Ford as a campaign worker during the recent provincial election.

Brown worked on the Ford tour, riding in advance of the leader’s bus. He said he got to talk with Ford daily and that the two are friends.

“I was honoured that he was willing to do that for me,” said Brown, in reference to Ford’s willingness to do the robocalls. Brown said that Ford emphasized a team approach on the campaign trail and the workers became quite close.

“When I told the team that I was thinking about running for the nomination for my uncle’s seat, I had nothing but great support from them and they encouraged me to do it,” Brown said.

Brown said when Ford heard of his plans, he offered “to help out in any way he could.” They settled on the robocalls.

The decision by Brown, 25, to seek the Conservative nomination for the byelection came as a surprise to some of the local party brass, who were touting retired senator Bob Runciman as a “unity candidate” to carry the Conservative banner in the byelection. The 75-year-old Runciman would serve out the remainder of Gord Brown’s term and then step aside, allowing the party the time to select a candidate for the October 2019 general election in the traditionally safe Tory seat.

The plan would have required all would-be candidates to stand down and let Runciman take the byelection nomination unopposed – meaning that Brown’s announcement has thrown a wrench into those plans.

Asked about Ford’s robocalls, Runciman called them perplexing and curious, adding that it is unusual for a provincial party leader to campaign in favour of a candidate in a federal race.

Runciman said he has been bombarded with calls from supporters urging him to run for the nomination. One of those supporters found it curious that a current provincial party leader would intervene to thwart a former party leader, he said. (Runciman, who spent 29 years at Queen’s Park as Leeds-Grenville MPP, served a stint as interim party leader.)

Runciman said he doesn’t know Ford well, although he was good friends with Doug’s father, a former MPP, and their two families vacationed at Ford’s condo in Florida.

Runciman said he likes to think that Ford didn’t know that he was interested in running before he endorsed Brown.

“But if he did, then ‘perplexed’ would be the word I’d use,” Runciman said.

Runciman supported Caroline Mulroney during the Tory leadership campaign, but he didn’t think it had an influence on Ford’s decision to back Brown.

Cory Hann, director of communications for the federal Conservative Party, said the party would never anoint a candidate if qualified Conservatives were interested in running.

If two or more candidates want the job, then the party would allow the riding members make the choice in a “free and open” contest, he said.

Even if only one candidate wanted the nomination, that person would be acclaimed by the party, Hann said.

Runciman said he will decide in the next few days whether to run or not. He said he has been swamped by calls from party members urging him to run.

Several others have indicated that they are interested in running if he doesn’t, Runciman said. He said he will make his decision soon so as not to keep the other candidates on the hook.

The Conservatives have yet to set a date for the byelection nomination. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has yet to call the byelection. Trudeau has until Oct. 31 to set the date.

http://www.recorder.ca/2018/06.....-brown-bid
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-senator Runciman won't seek Tory nomination in Leeds-Grenville

Wayne Lowrie
Updated: June 14, 2018

Bob Runciman will not seek the Conservative nomination to run in the byelection to succeed the late Gord Brown as member of Parliament.

In a statement Wednesday, the former senator and longtime MPP said it would have been an “honour and a privilege” to serve out the rest of the parliamentary term of Brown, whom he described as a friend and political partner, but that he wasn’t prepared to engage in a “potentially divisive” nomination battle.

“After 45 years in public service I don’t have the enthusiasm for that kind of battle. My wife and I have been pretty much housebound for the past two months as she recovers from surgery and the idea of spending the next six summer weeks on the road selling memberships is less than appealing,” he said.

Runciman had been approached by Conservative Party brass and potential candidates in Leeds-Grenville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes with the idea that he become the party’s pick to serve out the remainder of Brown’s term as a “unity candidate,” to give the local Tories time to select a person to run in the October 2019 general election.

But Colin Brown, the 25-year-old nephew of Gord, upended that plan when he announced Monday that he would seek the nomination.

“I was prepared to help the party and the riding by stepping in and, for the next year, try to fill the void left by Gord’s passing, but Colin Brown and his advisers obviously see things differently,” Runciman said.

The former senator served 29 years as MPP for Leeds-Grenville and he is regarded as the political godfather for the riding. But despite his deep roots in the party and the riding, Runciman said that he would not have taken his nomination chances for granted.

Brown, 26, said he hopes Runciman will see fit to endorse him.

“Bob is somebody that I’ve always looked up to as a politician in the riding and my uncle looked up to him as well,” Brown said. “Bob supported my uncle and my uncle supported Bob, so I would hope that Bob could support me in the nomination race.”

Brown said that the next general election will be an important one, and that the Conservative candidate elected in the byelection should be the person to carry the party banner in the general vote.

The Conservative Party has yet to set a date for its nomination convention. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has until Oct. 31 to call the byelection.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....-grenville
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call it a comeback: Shory drops out of Conservative nomination in Calgary Skyview

James Wood
Updated: June 19, 2018

Former Conservative MP Devinder Shory has announced he is not seeking the party's nomination in Calgary Skyview. Postmedia Archives

Former MP Devinder Shory has dropped out of the Conservative nomination contest in Calgary Skyview, leaving Jagdeep Kaur Sahota as the Tory candidate.

Shory had been attempting a political comeback in the riding where he lost in the 2015 federal election but pulled out about a week ago, said Conservative party spokesman Cory Hann.

“That left Ms. Sahota there as the only candidate with paperwork in, so she was acclaimed,” Hann said Tuesday.

Sahota ran unsuccessfully for the Progressive Conservatives in Calgary-McCall provincially in 2015.

Hann said he did not know why Shory dropped out of the running, but “he’s going to be part of our team regardless.”

Shory was the MP for Calgary Northeast from 2008 to 2015 before losing to Liberal Darshan Kang in the new Skyview riding in the last federal vote.

Kang has since left the Liberal caucus over allegations of sexual harassment that were found to be partially substantiated by a House of Commons investigation.

Calgary Skyview is the second city riding where a potential Conservative nomination fight fizzled out.

Last month, incumbent MP Deepak Obhrai was acclaimed in Calgary Forest Lawn when former PC MLA Moe Amery, who had challenged him, pulled out of the race.

Hann said the Conservatives now have candidates in place in all city ridings except for Calgary Centre, where a number of candidates are seeking to carry the Conservative banner against Liberal MP Kent Hehr in the 2019 federal election.

Hann said the nomination in the inner-city riding will likely be held in the fall.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/.....ry-skyview
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tory nomination now a race

Wayne Lowrie

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:27:09 EDT PM

Member of Parliament Gord Brown's hockey stick and jersey on stage at his funeral in Gananoque last month. (FILE PHOTO)

The race for the Conservative nomination in the federal byelection to succeed late MP Gord Brown has suddenly become crowded.

Two candidates – Michael Barrett and Stephanie Mitton – announced Wednesday that they want the party’s nod in the traditionally safe Tory riding of Leeds-Greville-Thousand Islands and Rideau Lakes. They join Colin Brown, nephew of the late Gord Brown, who announced his candidacy two weeks ago.

And party sources say a fourth candidate, Anne Johnston of the Brockville area, will announce next week that she is entering the nomination battle. Johnston was out of town attending her daughter’s graduation and wasn’t available for comment.

All three can claim deep roots in the Conservative Party.

Barrett, a councillor in the Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal, is the federal riding association president, who had been backing former senator Bob Runciman as a Conservative “unity” candidate to carry the party’s banner in the byelection.

When the plan to have Runciman acclaimed as the candidate was foiled by Brown seeking the nomination, Barrett said he decided to step forward himself.

Mitton, a native of Lombardy, volunteered and worked for Conservative MPs on Parliament Hill for four years while obtaining a degree in public affairs and public policy from Carleton University. She has worked for a decade as a government-relations specialist with World Vision Canada, National Public Relations and Universities Canada.

Johnston is a former aide to Leeds-Grenville MPP Steve Clark and has been a stalwart volunteer for federal and provincial Conservative campaigns for the last 20 years.

Michael Barrett

Barrett, who served in the Canadian Armed Forces from 2000 to 2014 in the signal corps and is now human resources manager at Tim Hortons, is the leading township council opponent to the opening of the ED-19 landfill.

As a township councillor, Barrett said he has advocated against tax increases and “has proven, results-oriented, leadership experience.”

“I share the values of the Conservative Party of Canada which stands with families, seniors, farmers, and law-abiding gun owners,” Barrett said in his announcement.

As riding president and councillor, Barrett said he worked closely with Gord Brown on political and local issues and that “I would be honoured to continue his work.”

Before the death of Brown on May 2, Barrett had filed his nomination papers to run for mayor of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal. Barrett said he will put his mayoralty aspirations aside to run for the Conservative nomination.

Stephanie Mitton

Mitton was raised in Lombardy in a family of small business owners before her career in Ottawa. Her mother is a hairdresser while her father was a partner in the family-owned Radio Shack franchise.

She said she supports Canadian agriculture, wants less government intervention, lower taxes and she is concerned about the spread of Lyme disease in the region.

“I have always enjoyed solving problems and advocating on other people’s behalf,” she said in an interview. In her job at World Vision, Mitton said, she liked being the Canadian voice for people in developing countries who didn’t have a voice.

“I want to use that experience in the riding,” she said.

Although Mitton and her family live in Ottawa, she said they have put their house on the market and intend to move back to the riding. In the meantime, Mitton has resigned her job at Universities Canada and moved temporarily to the riding to fight for the nomination full-time.

Both Barrett and Mitton said they have the support of prominent Tories.

Barrett quotes MPP Clark as saying: “I’ve seen personally how Michael is a tireless advocate for those he represents as a municipal councillor and this experience fighting to give his constituents a voice is an invaluable asset. Michael has also put in the work to support and help elect Conservatives like myself in our riding. He holds conservative values close to his heart and his ability to effectively communicate them makes him a strong candidate for the nomination.”

Mitton cites support from three current and former Conservative members of Parliament. John Nater of Perth-Wellington calls her an “excellent candidate” with “exceptional knowledge of government,” Harold Albrecht of Kitchener-Conestoga says Millon is “the kind of person that we need in Ottawa,” and Gary Schellenberger, former MP for Perth-Wellington, says she would be a “real asset” to the party.

Both Barrett and Mitton are married with young families. Barrett has three children with a fourth on the way in October; Mitton has two daughters.

The Conservatives have yet to announce a date for the nomination convention, although it is expected later this summer. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has until the end of October to announce the byelection date

http://www.recorder.ca/2018/06.....now-a-race
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalton seeking Conservative nomination in Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows

Former MLA looks to make jump to federal politics
Neil Corbett/
Jun. 21, 2018 4:00 p.m./
News

Former MLA Marc Dalton is hoping to make the jump from provincial to federal politics, announcing Thursday that he is seeking the nomination to be the Conservative Party of Canada candidate for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge.

The riding was lost to his party in the 2015 election, when Liberal MP Dan Ruimy won a close race with Conservative Mike Murray.

Ruimy won with 17,673 votes to Murray’s 16,373. The NDP’s Bob D’Eith, who has since been elected as a provincial candidate, was a third with 15,450 votes.

Dalton was elected for two terms and serving for eight years as a provincial MLA. He lost the Maple Ridge-Mission riding to the B.C. NDP’s D’Eith in 2017, as the two were separated by 120 votes on election day.

Dalton sought the Conservative nomination 2015, losing to Murray. Dalton also ran unsuccessfully for the Conservatives in the 2006 federal election in Burnaby-New Westminster, losing to the NDP.

Dalton said the next federal election will be an important one for Canadians, and that he “stands firm with Andrew Scheer’s vision to provide Canadians with a strong, principled Conservative government.”

Dalton said Canadians are disturbed with Justin Trudeau’s “divisive left-wing policies,” and that people are frustrated as Ottawa waste billions of dollars running up massive deficits.

“I have broad support, and I am confident that not only Conservatives, but many centrist voters from other parties will also support me federally as they did provincially,” he said.

Davis Friesen, who worked as a campaign manager for Mike Murray in 2015, is also seeking the Conservative nomination for the riding.

In late August, Dalton will be a delegate at the Conservative national policy convention in Halifax, where many of the platform policies for the next election will be developed.

Dalton said during his time as MLA, he worked to secure a new school for the Albion area, funding for a new MRI machine at Ridge Meadows Hospital, four-laning of Highway 7 between Maple Ridge and Mission, funding for seniors housing and low income earners in conjunction with Maple Ridge Community Services, improved ambulance services and restoration of school busing.

If nominated and elected to Parliament, Dalton wants to help reduce the financial pressure on families through heavy taxation, “much of it hidden.”

Transit is just one example. There are thousands of local residents who take the West Coast Express to work every day. With the Liberals removing the transit tax credit, the extra cost to Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows riders is up to $440 a year.

Dalton is a long-time teacher in Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge, having taught at both the secondary and elementary school levels. He has a Bachelor’s degree in French and History and a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership, both from SFU.

He served in the Canadian Armed Forces as a communications reservist. He went on to work in a non-denominational faith organization that reached out to the needy in Central America, and did inner city work in Canada. He was a pastor in the Vancouver area, and today continues to volunteer with organizations, such as the Friends in Need Food Bank, the Salvation Army, and his local community church.

Dalton resides in Maple Ridge and is married to Marlene, his wife of 33 years. They have three adult children.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/dalton-seeking-conservative-nomination-in-maple-ridge-pitt-meadows/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: