Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
RCO wrote:
whats interesting is Elliott and Mulroney still appear to have an active role , were both in Burlington to open a campaign office , well ford opened another one in Mississauga

This is the mark of a better politician. He has his rivals supporting him!

the liberal strategy is incredibly desperate , these kinds of ad campaigns can be effective but they can also not work , it depends how popular the incumbent government is , wynne is really unpopular and people say there ready for change , so the ads may not change much

and by doing this , there setting the bar low for Ford , and it won't be hard for him to exceed such low standards

you also have to wonder who the liberals plan to run against Ford in etobicoke north ? they currently have no candidate and mpp has not confirmed he's running again . liberals seem to have this sick obsession against the fords , clearly they want to find someone who causes him trouble , or a no name liberal will run there simply to build a profile among the party
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if your a liberal candidate you have to be left disappointed with the new election strategy

as if your in a riding with a strong ndp presence like Windsor or Hamilton , if your creating a stop Ford election your essentially giving people in those ridings no reason to vote liberal as its obvious the ndp has a better chance to win than the liberals in those ridings

I also highly doubt anyone at the door would say abortion access for there high school aged daughter was there top concern , I honestly would doubt the issue would even come up

are you really going to knock on someone's door and start off by telling them how you think Doug Ford is racist and list off these comments he made years ago ?

they seem to be leaving there candidates with nothing to sell , perhaps behind closed doors the liberals themselves admitted there was no reason to vote for wynne this year ? I'm really left wondering

and all that's left is an extremely desperate and dirty campaign to try and prevent ford from winning big
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make the point that this Liberal campaign gives the public nothing positive to vote for, just a fear of the Doug the Menace.

Think about it -- they shot the wad in the election budget! If that got Ford a bounce in the polls, the brainiacs back at Liberal HQ are scratching their heads. What to do? Think about that problem? If that budget lost them ground, what will work?

Nothing. That's because, while this looks like an election, it's really an execution. (Symbolically speaking, of course.)
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
You make the point that this Liberal campaign gives the public nothing positive to vote for, just a fear of the Doug the Menace.

Think about it -- they shot the wad in the election budget! If that got Ford a bounce in the polls, the brainiacs back at Liberal HQ are scratching their heads. What to do? Think about that problem? If that budget lost them ground, what will work?

Nothing. That's because, while this looks like an election, it's really an execution. (Symbolically speaking, of course.)

( ford just unveiled his campaign slogan " for the people " wynne's slogan at this point seems to be i'll give you anything just charge it to Ontario's credit card or doug ford is evil ? , either way not a lot of reasons to vote for her . I seriously wonder where the liberal campaign is headed , the election hasn't even been called yet and it already seems to be off focus and troubled , it also appears they may be planning to run one of the most mean spirited and negative campaigns we've seen in Ontario )

Doug Ford‏Verified account @fordnation · 2h2 hours ago

Doug Ford - For the People. Today, we unveiled our new campaign bus and slogan. #onpoli #pcpo
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there seems to be conflicting reports as to if ford actually made the comments the liberals are now quoting and overall they aren't especially relevant to this campaign , things said when he was a city councillor not of great importance to the issues Ontario is now facing
either way it appears ford was only doing as job as city councillor and addressing the concerns area residents had about this group home ( as these types of homes are often unpopular with local residents ) , the comments are being taken out of context and have little if nothing to do with this election )

Ford accuses Liberals of ‘lying’ about comments he previously defended

By Marieke Walsh. Published on Apr 15, 2018 2:16pm

Progressive Conservative Leader Doug Ford gives a brief speech as he unveils his campaign bus and slogan in Toronto on April 15, 2018. IPOLITICS/Marieke Walsh

Doug Ford says the Ontario Liberals are “lying” about comments he made in 2014 that were widely reported and then defended by Ford.

“You’re going to hear a lot of lies, desperate lies from Kathleen Wynne,” he told reporters at his campaign bus launch in Toronto on Sunday.

On Friday the Liberals launched a $1 million ad blitz that zeroes in on his past comments and policies. One ad called “Doug said” repeats comments that he made about a home for teens with autism when he was a Toronto councillor. News stories from that time quote him saying the home “ruined the community.”

The Liberals said they believe voters don’t know about the comments from years ago and that the ads will make people think twice about voting for the front runner. Two months ahead of the June 7 election all polls have the Progressive Conservatives polling well ahead of the governing Liberals.

Asked whether he thought his the comments would sway people Ford rejected the comments out right.

“I’ll make Kathleen Wynne a deal today, if Kathleen Wynne stops telling lies about me I will stop telling the truth about Kathleen Wynne,” he said.

The comments were first reported by the Etobicoke Guardian on May 16, 2014. They were then picked up by other outlets on May 17, 2014. The next day the Canadian Press reported that Ford stood by the comments.

“My heart goes out to kids with autism. But no one told me they’d be leaving the house,” he was reported saying.

Amid freezing rain and rainfall warnings Ford’s campaign bus rolled up at the Toronto Coach Terminal Sunday morning with his family in tow.

He said his campaign slogan shows that he and the policies he puts forward are “for the people.”

READ MORE: Ford tosses promise of a costed platform

In a nod to reports that he would focus his campaign on a few key policies, Ford told the small crowd of supporters he would campaign on “straightforward commitments.” Pledging:
•“An affordable and a practical plan to put money back into your pocket instead of the government’s pocket;”
•“To clean up the hydro mess;”
•“To create good paying jobs;”
•“Restore accountability and respect;”
•“And to make sure we cut hospital line waiting times.”

“You can always count on me to give you straight talk,” he said in his brief speech. “I will only make promises I can keep and I will always keep the promises I make.”

Ford has already walked back a previous commitment, however. Although he promised to put forward a “fully costed” platform, he tossed that pledge a week later. Ford told reporters more details on his policies would come in the “next few weeks.”

He took four questions from reporters at the bus launch before ending the news conference.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/04/15/ford-accuses-liberals-of-lying-about-comments-he-previously-defended/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This polling shows just how tough it will be for Kathleen Wynne's Liberals to get re-elected

Doug Ford attracting 'economically unhappy' voters with message that government is the problem, says pollster

Mike Crawley · CBC News · Posted: Apr 16, 2018 5:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

In a recent poll by Innovative Research Group, 52 per cent of people agreed with the statement, "Doug Ford has a history of poor choices and bad behaviour that make him unsuitable to be premier," while only 24 per cent disagreed. (John Rieti/CBC)

Fresh polling provided to CBC News shows the depth of opposition to Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and her party, but suggests her government's big budget promises could swing some NDP voters into the Liberal camp.

The polling conducted in early April by Innovative Research Group shows Doug Ford and the Ontario PC party with 37 per cent support, followed by the Liberals at 26 per cent, the NDP at 18 and the Green party at six per cent. Ten per cent of voters said they were undecided.

Ford is tapping into "a sense of anger that governments are governing in the interest of special interests and not in the interest of real folks," said the polling firm's owner Greg Lyle, in an interview with CBC News.

The polling gives a snapshot of the province's mood at a crucial stage in the pre-election period: immediately after the budget, which will form the bulk of the Liberal platform. It is being released Monday, the same day the Liberals launch their first attack ads targeting Ford and the NDP releases its campaign platform. Election day, June 7, is little more than seven weeks away.

A PC victory is not inevitable, said Lyle, but the chances of a Liberal win are looking rather slim.

"The odds of them coming anywhere close to what they did in the last election are really narrow right now," Lyle said. "There would have to be a really dramatic falling off in the Tory vote."

Only 24 per cent of those polled this month said the budget left them feeling more favourable toward the Liberals, while 54 per cent said they felt less favourable. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press)

While mostly grim for the governing party, the polling offers the Liberals one glimmer of hope: the budget might help them woo voters who identify most closely with the NDP. Among those surveyed who consider themselves NDP-aligned:
•60 per cent are satisfied with the budget
•43 per cent say it leaves them feeling more favourable toward the Liberal government
•43 per cent believe the budget will have a positive impact on the economy

​But a stumbling block for Wynne's party is the size of the pool of voters who identify closely with the NDP or Liberals.

At a similar stage before the 2014 election, 31 per cent of those polled said they personally identify as a Liberal, 21 per cent said a Progressive Conservative and 11 per cent said New Democrat. The new polling says 31 per cent of voters identify as PC, 27 per cent as Liberal and 12 per cent NDP.

Lyle describes that shift toward the PCs as dramatic. "They're growing both from taking votes from the Liberals and from pulling voters in who were previously uncommitted or undecided," he said.

The research suggests Ford and the PCs are gaining much of their support from people who feel they are struggling economically.

"He voices their anger, he voices their frustration." said Lyle.

The NDP, under leader Andrea Horwath, is sitting in third place in the poll by Innovative Research Group, with the support of 18 per cent of voters. (Frank Gunn/Canadian Press)

Ford is appealing to "people that believe you can be anything you want, but are having a very hard time getting by. They believe in the promise of the Canadian dream, but they think it's being denied to them." He said Ford is telling these voters: "It's government getting between you and your dreams, and I'm going to stop that."

Wynne and the Liberals are also clearly trying to win over those same voters who feel they are struggling to get by. Their approach differs from the PCs, by framing the problem as unfairness. Their solutions are the range of new initiatives announced over the past year, including the $15 minimum wage, to expanded rent control, free daycare from age two and a half, and free prescription drugs for under 25s and over 65s.
•Wynne, Ford, Horwath invited to televised debate on May 27
•Horwath wants more information before acting on allegations against NDP MPPs

The promises in last month's budget did not immediately swing many voters into the Liberal camp, according to Lyle's analysis of the polling. "All it did was stop the bleeding among the people they'd got, and maybe opened the door to some New Democrats to come around," he said. "That's not bad for a survival strategy, but that's nowhere near enough to be able to win."

Lyle sees one path to victory for either the Liberals or the NDP: create a desire for an alternative to Ford, and position themselves as the only real alternative.

The Green Party, led by Mike Schreiner, has the support of six per cent of voters, according to a new poll. (Markus Schwabe/CBC)

The polling suggests there could be some room for fostering anti-Ford sentiment.
•52 per cent of those polled agreed with the statement, "Doug Ford has a history of poor choices and bad behaviour that make him unsuitable to be premier."
•48 per cent agreed with the statement "Doug Ford scares me."
•42 per cent agreed with "I am afraid of what Doug Ford and the PCs might do if they form government"

The Liberals and NDP will want to try to capitalize on that fear and drive it higher. "The history says scaring people about Tory cuts works," said Lyle. "The question is, will it stick?"

Compared with a similar time ahead of the last election in 2014, several measures do not look good for the Liberals. The number of people willing to consider voting for the Liberals is down 19 percentage points. The pool of people who agree with the statement "I am so angry at the provincial Liberals, I will never vote for them again" is up six percentage points, to 41 per cent. This part of the polling was conducted in mid-March, just after Ford's leadership win.

Other highlights of the polling:
•50 per cent said they strongly agree it's time for a change in government, and 19 per cent said they somewhat agree
•92 per cent said they were aware of the allegations against former PC leader Patrick Brown, a record high awareness level for any issue the firm has polled about since 2000
•only 33 per cent said they have heard all they need to decide how to vote, while 62 per cent want to hear more before they make up their mind

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4618392
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'll make her a deal ... if she'll stop lying about me, I'll stop telling the truth about her." Doug Ford.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
"I'll make her a deal ... if she'll stop lying about me, I'll stop telling the truth about her." Doug Ford.

evidence of just how out to lunch the liberal campaign is already , they actually sent out a tweet accusing ford of being a drug dealer and with marijuana related names for his bus . seriously this coming from the party that is legalising the stuff and opening a chain of government run pot shops ?

Ontario Liberal Party‏Verified account @OntLiberal

Follow Follow @OntLiberal

LEAKED: Rejected Nicknames for Conservative Campaign Buses
- The Canni-bus
- Weed the People
- The Dop-ed Moped
- The Gray Roach
- Bus-ted
#onpoli #pcpo
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although a concern for the pc's should be the slow pace of ndp nominations , so far they only have 16 candidates nominated in the 905 region an area of 44 ridings , have no candidates yet in Halton and only 1 nominated in all of York region, only 2 in Brampton a city they did well in last election , a possible sign there not taking those ridings seriously , where is the liberals have only a few vacancies in the 905 remaining

when the pc's won the scarborough rouge river by election, a big factor was the much higher than normal ndp vote

although province wide the ndp have nominated 16 candidates 905 , 16 in Toronto , 9 in eastern Ontario , 17 south western ont , 9 in northern Ontario , for a total of 67 but still a long way from a full slate , with some more nominations scheduled for coming weeks

another interesting riding is Don Valley West , currently does not have an ndp candidate and unsure if the ndp have even been active in the riding , unlike the pc's which have been knocking on doors for months there , here is a post from the pc candidate

Jon W. Kieran‏ @jonwkieran · 36m36 minutes ago

Jon W. Kieran Retweeted Anne Ayotte

Thanks Anne,
It doesn't work that way. ;)
@Kathleen_Wynne is desperate in DVW! Victory ONLY happens if I find MORE volunteers to help us turf Kathleen IN HER OWN RIDING.
Join us! Canvass, phone, donate. Email Alex at:
JonKieranVolunteering@gmail.com. THIS is how we win!
#ONPoli

one of the reasons wynne has been able to be so successful in what was once one of the most pc friendly ridings in Toronto is the extremely weak ndp in that riding , only get maybe 5% to maybe 10% in a really good year , one of there poorest Toronto ridings

it seems odd the ndp would not want to target wynne or at least try to , the liberals have already nominated a candidate in Horwath's riding
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NDP showing is strange and almost requires an explanation. Given all the ugly publicity associated with the Ford brand, it seems odd that the NDP isn't gaining more of the votes that Wynne is losing. They could have a reasonable shot at becoming the official opposition -- which wouldn't be a bad outcome, in my book.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Based on the approach we are seeing from the OLP it reminds me of the Liberals attacks on Harper in 2004 & 2006.

"Men...In the Streets....With Guns...."

The Liberals are seemingly running on their record, I think if they lose that will prove to have been the biggest mistake.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
The NDP showing is strange and almost requires an explanation. Given all the ugly publicity associated with the Ford brand, it seems odd that the NDP isn't gaining more of the votes that Wynne is losing. They could have a reasonable shot at becoming the official opposition -- which wouldn't be a bad outcome, in my book.

its difficult to explain the slow pace of the ndp nominations , and this isn't a snap election . they've known since 2014 there was going to be an election in 2018 yet they seem unable to find candidates and moving oddly slowly in nominating them

although I suspect they have nominated candidates in many of there target ridings , the ones left aren't target ridings and for whatever reason they've decided to let the liberals and pc's fight for them and ndp on the sidelines

in my riding I have not heard one thing about an ndp candidate or a nomination meeting , I don't even know if we have an active provincial ndp association here , if we do they certainly don't do much and won't attract a high profile candidate this year
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NDP is usually slow to select Candidates in ridings within regions they won't win.
That isn't just a Provincial issue, its the same situation Federally as well.

Peel region in particular hasn't been kind to the NDP historically, even during their win in 1990. It was part of the reason why Jagmeet Singh's victory in Bramalea—Gore—Malton was as historic as it was.

They will likely have folks in place before the writ drops.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
The NDP is usually slow to select Candidates in ridings within regions they won't win.
That isn't just a Provincial issue, its the same situation Federally as well.

Peel region in particular hasn't been kind to the NDP historically, even during their win in 1990. It was part of the reason why Jagmeet Singh's victory in Bramalea—Gore—Malton was as historic as it was.

They will likely have folks in place before the writ drops.

well true but the fixed date was suppose to allow the parties time to prepare in advance of the election , the question is why have some ndp riding associations seemingly done nothing with the time they had to get ready ?

they claim to want to defeat wynne but in some ridings they appear to be doing virtually nothing, no candidate , no canvassing , not attending public events

there are some ndp nominations scheduled for april that aren't on the Wikipedia page for some reason that I saw when searching the web ( Scarborough Centre , Niagara west , Newmarket aurora , Leeds Grenville ) but there still a long way from a full slate

(noticed online there is an active ndp association in my riding but by active all they seem to have is a facebook page with 100 or so followers , nothing on events and no posts about potential candidates or a nomination meeting )

the green party also plans to run a full slate of candidate but is also way behind and Wikipedia page shows many open ridings without a green candidate , not sure how many they have ready but its not anywhere close to every riding
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking if the NDP were to form an opposition to the PCs in theory it would likely be on the back of an NDP breakthrough in areas they historically do better than their Provincial overall number;

Traditional "Old" Toronto, Northern Ontario, and Southwestern Ontario;
And in those regions aside from Kiiwetinoong and St. Paul they have candidates in place in ridings they have a chance.

If you are a potential NDP candidate in lets say Oakville (for the sake of argument) you aren't going to want to spend six months of your life on the campaign trail to secure less than 10% of the vote.

Kudos to the PCs for going hard and nominating candidates early and in ridings they won't win but its not the really the norm for the NDP to do the same.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  

Jump to: