Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, March 2, 2018
Simcoe-Grey Conservative Nomination Meeting
Regional | by Mariane McLeod

will be March 24 in Stayner

Kellie Leitch's replacement as the federal Conservative candidate in Simcoe Grey will be decided March 24th in Stayner.

The nomination meeting will be held on a Saturday at the high school in Stayner. The candidates are slated to speak starting at 10 am.

Four candidates are vying to replace Leitch: Marc Biss a township councillor from the Alliston area, Tim Bulmer of Collingwood, Essa's Mayor Terry Dowdall and Gillian Yeates, a doctor from Collingwood.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....sID=100014
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federal Conservatives seek Peterborough candidate nominees by mid-March

News 01:24 PM by Lois Tuffin  Peterborough This Week|

There are only three months to go before voters go to the provincial polls. - Metroland file photo

In the midst of an election year at the provincial and municipal level, the federal Conservatives are looking for candidates for Peterborough-Kawarthas.

In a message to members, the party's executive director, Dustin van Vugt, announced that nominations for this riding close on Thursday, March 15. Nomination contestants must submit their applications to Conservative Party Headquarters in Ottawa by 5 p.m. that day.

Anybody who wishes to be eligible to vote at the nomination meeting — for which the date, time and location will be announced later — must be a member of the Conservative Party of Canada and residing in the riding as of March 22.

New memberships must be received by party headquarters by 5 p.m. the same day.

In 2015, Liberal candidate Maryam Monsef had 29,159 votes or 43.8 per cent of votes, compared to 23,335 or 35 per cent by Conservative Michael Skinner.

The next federal election is October 2019.

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/8294699-federal-conservatives-seek-peterborough-candidate-nominees-by-mid-march/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saskparty MLA Warren Steinley to seek Conservative nomination in Regina-Lewvan

Regina, SK, Canada / 620 CKRM The Source | Country Music, News, Sports in Sask

News Room

March 01, 2018 02:53 pm

Another Saskatchewan Party MLA is going to seek a nomination with the federal Conservatives.

Earlier this year, Corey Tochor announced he was going to seek the nomination for the Conservatives in the Saskatoon-University riding, and on Thursday, Regina Walsh Acres MLA Warren Steinley said he would seek the Conservative nomination in the federal riding of Regina-Lewvan.

Like Tochor, he will remain an MLA while seeking the nomination.

That riding was a very close one in the 2015 federal election with the NDP’s Erin Weir defeating the Conservatives Trent Fraser by just 143 votes.

If Steinley is not successful, he will continue to run for the Saskatchewan Party with his intent to once again serve the people of Walsh Acres in the next provincial election,

http://www.620ckrm.com/2018/03.....na-lewvan/
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( in some other big political news , Brad Trost has lost the cpc nomination in Saskatoon )

Brad Trost loses Tory nomination race in his Saskatoon riding

Brad Trost
Brad Trost speaks during the Conservative leadership debate in Saskatoon, Wednesday, November 9, 2016. (THE CANADIAN PRESS / Liam Richards)

The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, March 10, 2018 11:01PM EST

SASKATOON - A former candidate in last year's leadership contest for the federal Conservatives has lost the nomination for his Saskatoon riding.

Brad Trost was defeated at a Conservative nomination meeting for Saskatoon-University on Saturday by Corey Tochor, a former Speaker of the Saskatchewan legislature.

Trost has been an MP since 2004 and won his riding by about 4,400 votes in 2015.

He finished fourth in the federal Conservative leadership race, which was won by Andrew Sheer, who is also a Saskatchewan MP.

Tochor had resigned as Speaker in early January to seek the federal nomination, saying he wanted to help Scheer become prime minister in the next federal election.

Trost says on Facebook that the loss was close, but that he won't be representing the Conservative party in 2019.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/brad-trost-loses-tory-nomination-race-in-his-saskatoon-riding-1.3837931
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Tochor wins Conservative Party Saskatoon-University nomination

Conservative's nominate Corey Tocher

The Conservative Party has chosen Corey Tocher as the nominee for the Saskatoon-University riding.

Published Saturday, March 10, 2018 4:10PM CST
Last Updated Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:15PM CST

The Conservative Party has chosen Corey Tochor as the nominee for the Saskatoon-University riding.

Members voted for their nominee for the riding at Prairieland Park on Saturday.

Brad Trost previously held the seat for the Conservatives. Brad Redekopp, a Warman businessman was alsoin the fight for the nomination.

With the loss, Trost will not be able to seek re-election as a Conservative in the next federal election.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/corey-tochor-wins-conservative-party-saskatoon-university-nomination-1.3837620
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Tochor elected as Conservative Party nominee for Saskatoon-University riding

Tochor is the former Saskatchewan Speaker of the House

By Cory Coleman, CBC News Posted: Mar 10, 2018 7:26 PM CT| Last Updated: Mar 10, 2018 9:02 PM CT

Sask. Party MLA Corey Tocher has beat out current Saskatoon-University MP Brad Trost for the federal Conservative Party nomination.

The Conservative Party of Canada has elected Corey Tochor as nominee for the contested Saskatoon-University riding.

Tochor, former Saskatchewan Speaker of the House and current MLA for Saskatoon-Eastview, was up against current MP Brad Trost and Saskatoon businessman Brad Redekkopp.

Nomination hard to predict

Daniel Beland, professor at the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, says it was a tough nomination to predict, especially between the two veteran politicians.

"Corey Tochor is a really well known in Saskatoon because of his credentials as a provincial MLA in Saskatoon-Eastview," said Beland.

At the same time, Beland says Trost is a controversial MP who has gained and lost support since he ran for leader of the Conservative Party of Canada in 2017.

"He's someone who is perceived on the right of the spectrum within the conservative party," said Beland.

"He's someone who is very vocal in terms of his opposition to abortion, and also his opposition to same sex marriage, so this has created some, I would say pushback from some conservatives who maybe are closer to the centre."

However, Beland says Trost still has a lot of supporters.

"Brad Trost, of course, has also a strong base and people really really like him and will certainly vote for him and have campaigned for him in the past," said Beland.

Trost will stay on as Saskatoon-University MP until the federal election in 2019, but Tochor will be the Conservative Party candidate for the riding when the election begins.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4571325
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of an early nomination from Winnipeg )

Current cop wins tory nomination for Saint Boniface-St. Vital

Winnipeg Sun
Winnipeg Sun

Published:
March 17, 2018

A 23-year member of the Winnipeg Police Service is gearing up for a career in politics.

Réjeanne Caron won the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination for the Saint Boniface-St. Vital riding on Thursday and will run for the seat in the 2019 federal election.

Liberal MP Dan Vandal won the seat in the 2015 election.

From 2008 to 2015, former Winnipeg police officer Shelly Glover held the seat in the riding.

“I’ve grown up here in Saint-Boniface-Saint-Vital, and have been involved in public service both in my professional and personal lives,” said Caron, who is Metis. “This opportunity is a privilege and an honour, and one I’m excited to embark on as another way to give back to my neighbours.”

Caron currently sits several boards, including the Winnipeg Safe City Steering Committee in support of the UN Safe Cities global initiative to reduce sexual violence against women and girls, the Winnipeg Fire and Paramedic Service and Winnipeg Police Service Joint Operations Committee, the Downtown Winnipeg Biz Downtown Safety Committee, Panhandling Committee, and recently was asked to sit on the Gender Based Homelessness Steering Committee to end homelessness for women.

“Our Conservative leader, Andrew Scheer, has a strong and positive vision for Canada, and I know it’s one we need here in Saint-Boniface-St. Vital,” Caron said in a release. “The fact is, the Liberal government in Ottawa has been failing Canadians, and their policies are hurting the very people they claim they’re helping. I look forward to hearing more on these and other concerns from the hard-working residents here, and being a voice for them to help put Canada back on track.”

http://winnipegsun.com/news/lo.....e-st-vital
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essa mayor wins Conservative nomination in Simcoe-Grey

CTV Barrie
Published Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:20AM EDT

Essa Township Mayor Terry Dowdall has won the Conservative nomination for Simcoe-Grey.

The nomination was announced Saturday after a full day of voting by party members at Stayner Collegiate.

Dowdell was chosen as the successor to current MP Kellie Leitch who announced earlier this year she is quitting politics to return to life as a doctor.

Dowdell will finish his term as mayor and run for the Tories in the 2019 federal election.

The other candidates were New Tecumseth councillor Marc Biss, obstetrician Dr. Gillian Yeates and Tim Blumer.

The riding association did not release the results of the vote, but said Dowdell won on the third ballot.

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/mobile/essa-mayor-wins-conservative-nomination-in-simcoe-grey-1.3857726
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 26th, 2018 by John Spitters

Durkin goes for Conservative nomination

Tim Durkin (Photo/submitted)

Local radio broadcaster Tim Durkin, 32, is seeking the Conservative Party of Canada nomination to represent the Bay of Quinte riding, in the next federal election.

The Loyalist College grad and his wife Jennifer are expecting their first child this summer.

“Moving into politics has been something Jennifer and I discussed years ago, when we first met.” Durkin stated. “One day we wanted to play a role in the kind of country we would leave to our kids. Canada faces a lot of challenges like free speech, major deficits, and major economic concerns that are making it harder for everyday Canadians.”

“I believe there is no substitute for hard work and the willingness to make the right choices on difficult issues.

Durkin is an on-air personality and journalist with Quinte Broadcasting (CJBQ, Rock 107, Mix 97, Quinte News), and Game Night Host for the Belleville Senators of the AHL.

http://www.quintenews.com/2018.....on/171916/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCaw seeks PC nomination for Bay of Quinte

By Tim Meeks, Trentonian

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:30:37 EDT PM

Intelligencer file photo Belleville city councillor Kelly McCaw has announced she will seek the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination for the Bay of Quinte riding in the 2019 federal election.

BELLEVILLE - Ballooning deficits and the globalist ideals of the federal Liberal government must be defeated, says Kelly McCaw.

The Belleville city councillor has tossed her hat in the ring to seek the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination for the Bay of Quinte riding in the 2019 federal election.

McCaw, a Belleville-born wife and mother of two, is a real estate agent with Royal LePage and also runs two pizza restaurants and a property management company with her husband. She joins local radio personality Tim Durkin in a bid to challenge Liberal MP Neil Ellis for the right to represent the Bay of Quinte in Ottawa.

The deadline for nominations is Thursday with a nomination meeting expected by the end of April.

“I think my experience around the council table shows I’m capable of doing the job,” McCaw said, who was elected to city council in 2014.

“There has just been too many missteps by the Liberal government,” said McCaw. “From the Summer Jobs Program to the ballooning budget, it’s time for a change. I also think that Conservative values and free speech are under attack and I’d like to take the fight to Ottawa and I think that would be a good thing.”

McCaw is in agreement with Durkin on the Summer Jobs Program. Both feel the Liberals’ new attestation for applications for the Summer Jobs Program, and the government’s assertion that groups applying for the program say their “core mandate” respects a variety of rights, including “the values underlying the Charter of Rights and Freedoms” and specifically mentions reproductive rights, is a freedom of speech issue.

Some of the rejected groups had been receiving summer jobs grants for well over a decade, and are now having to draw up contingency plans to fund their summer programming such as day camps. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said his government won’t fund groups focused on campaigning against abortion and LGBTQ rights, and the attestation was not meant to exclude faith-based groups who focus their activities elsewhere. The government issued a clarification on Jan. 23 that “core mandate” does not refer to values or beliefs, and provided a list of examples of what types of organizations are still eligible under the attestation.

“I think that policy is attacking freedom of speech and we can’t have that. There have also been a lot of other things that bother me. Justin Trudeau’s ‘peoplekind’ comment and other ideals don’t sit well with me. My mother is still my mother and if my father was still here he would still be my father. I don’t think we need to be genderless. That, in addition to the globalist ideals of the Trudeau Liberal government. A lot of things plague the Liberal government and you can’t negotiate it, you have to defeat it and I’d like to be a part of that.”

http://www.intelligencer.ca/20.....-of-quinte
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative nomination for federal Regina-Lewvan seat will be contested

Former Regina Pat and long-time Evraz employee Rod Williams will be seeking the nomination to become a federal MP.

D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post

More from D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post

Published on: April 4, 2018 | Last Updated: April 4, 2018 4:17 PM CST

Former Regina Pat and long-time Evraz employee Rod Williams will be seeking the nomination to become a federal MP.

Williams is challenging Saskatchewan Party MLA Warren Steinley for the Conservative Party of Canada nomination for the Regina-Lewvan seat, which is currently being held by the NDP’s Erin Weir.

A long-time Regina resident, Williams said he supports Conservative leader Andrew Scheer’s commitment to fiscal responsibility and opposition to a federal carbon tax.

“For Mr. Weir to support (the carbon tax), I don’t think he’s representing his constituents properly,” Williams said.

A nomination meeting is expected to take place later this month.

Williams has sought the nomination before. Ahead of the 2015 election, he lost his bid for the nomination to Trent Fraser.

In the 2015 federal election, the Regina-Lewvan seat was hotly contested. Fraser was granted a judicial recount of the election results after Weir was declared the winner by 143 votes.

The resulting recount confirmed Weir’s victory.

http://leaderpost.com/news/pol.....-contested
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jurgens announces run for federal Conservative Party nomination

By Charlene Tebbutt

April 5, 2018 - 5:00pm

Allan Jurgens is seeking the Conservative Party nomination in the northern riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River.

submitted photo/Allan Jurgens

Allan Jurgens has entered the race for the Conservative nomination in the northern riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River. Jurgens said Thursday that he has filed the paperwork and plans to run for the Conservative nomination in the riding, which encompasses more than 342,000 kilometres, and includes the communities of Meadow Lake, La Ronge and La Loche.

Jurgens said he has been talking to residents in the North who are disappointed with the current Liberal government, and are looking for a change in direction. He said residents are concerned their taxes are too high and money is not being spent wisely. He said the current government is not listening to western Canada.

“The carbon taxes, everybody’s against them. Nobody wants to see more taxation,” Jurgens told paNOW. “People can’t understand why they want to tax something to pay off out of control spending.”

He said he would like to help facilitate better communication and a better understanding between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. Jurgens said the riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River was viewed as separate entities in the past — North and South.

“There’s a lot of integration between the North and the South now. Southern people are going North for a variety of tourism and other purposes, and northern people coming down for everything from health care to just visiting family," he said.

Jurgens has worked in the forestry and natural resources sector for 25 years. He is currently working in Buffalo Narrows, facilitating the first year of the Integrated Resource Management diploma program through Gabriel Dumont Institute and Saskatchewan Polytechnic.

And he has worked on political campaings before – his wife Victoria is a past Sask Party MLA - and run for office before as well, most recently for a provincial Saskatchewan Party nomination in the constituency of Prince Albert Northcote.

No date has been for an official nomination meeting for Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River, but the riding’s Conservative Electoral District Association said they will secure a date in the coming weeks. So far, no other candidates have put their names forward for the riding’s Conservative nomination.

The riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River was a nail-biter in the last election in 2015 with Georgina Jollibois winning the seat for the NDP by just a few votes. A recount was ordered before Jollibois was declared the official winner. Before that, the riding was represented by Conservative MP Rob Clarke. He served two terms before the NDP took the seat in 2015.

The next federal election is set to take place on or before October 21, 2019

https://larongenow.com/article/512867/jurgens-announces-run-federal-conservative-party-nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neufeld re-seeking Conservative candidacy for 2019

Marshall Neufeld lost to the NDP’s Richard Cannings for South Okanagan—West Kootenay in 2015
Dustin Godfrey/
Apr. 6, 2018 8:35 a.m./
Local News/
News

The next federal election isn’t for another year-and-a-half, but the Conservative Party candidate from 2015 says he will be taking a stab at running again.

“If the Conservative Party membership chooses to endorse me, I would be happy to be the representative again, going into the next election,” Marshall Neufeld said.

Neufeld isn’t the only one weighing in on the issue. Three former leadership candidates have been challenged in their own riding, already. Brad Trost failed to win candidacy in his riding, while Kellie Leitch said she would not be running again. Deepak Obhrai’s riding has not yet held its Conservative candidacy race.

Marshall Neufeld took second place for the Conservatives in the 2015 election in the newly created South Okanagan-West Kootenay riding. NDP candidate Richard Cannings took the riding with 24,823 votes (37.3 per cent of the popular vote) a hair over half of the votes after losing in a previous provincial election.

Meanwhile, Neufeld left the October 2015 election with 29.8 per cent of the votes (19,871). The Liberal candidate, Connie Denesiuk, finished with 28.1 per cent (18,732) and the Green Party candidate, Samantha Troy, received 2,792 votes (4.2 per cent). Independent candidate Brian Grey received 376 votes (0.6 per cent).

But this time, Neufeld said he feels he can take the riding for the party, saying he would be seeking the candidacy for the party.

Related: Cannings ready to take another shot at election (2014)

“I don’t have anything against Dick (Cannings) personally, at all, however his voting record on issues that are important to Canadians and the track record of his party is not one that I choose to support,” he said.

He noted he has been involved in politics for a long time, largely as a volunteer, which he said could give him an upper edge. He added that he has a long background in business, working in real estate in Penticton for 10 years.

And that, he said, was his major issue: local business.

“There’s been an assault on small business that has been taking place over this last year. Particularly by the federal government, but both levels of government,” he said, referring to new small business taxes federally and the payroll tax for health care provincially.

Related: Cannings reflects on a productive year

The comments came following a Western News one-on-one interview with Conservative leader Andrew Scheer outside Bad Tattoo, where he had met with Osoyoos Indian Band Chief Clarence Louie.

“I’m heartened that he has such a strong desire to see this riding become Conservative again and that he wants to hear about our issues,” Neufeld said.

Scheer, himself, said he was confident Conservatives would be able to take the riding for its second election.

“I’ve heard a lot today of the disappointment that the NDP supported the Liberal attacks on small business. This whole area is full of entrepreneurs. Many, many people here have jobs thanks to local businesses,” Scheer said. “A lot of people told me that they voted NDP last time and watching them vote with the Liberals on this very important issue, they’re coming back to the Conservative Party.”

Related: Rookie MP reflects on his first year in office

Taking the riding may not be so easy, though. Prior to its forming, the area included the Okanagan—Coquihalla and British Columbia Southern Interior ridings, the former a more urban riding and the latter a rural riding.

And while the urban riding, which included Penticton, kept Conservative, Alliance and Reform members of Parliament for about two decades, the rural riding has a long history with the NDP.

No date has yet been set for the candidacy race in Penticton.

Find our one-on-one interview with Conservative leader Andrew Scheer on our website, www.pentictonwesternnews.com.

https://www.trailtimes.ca/news/neufeld-re-seeking-conservative-candidacy-for-2019/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Drayton Valley Mayor Glenn McLean seeking MP nomination

By Laine Mitchell (Twitter: @Laine_Mitchell)

April 10, 2018 - 10:52am

Former Drayton Valley Mayor Glenn McLean is taking another run at politics, announcing he is seeking the nomination to be the Conservative candidate for the Yellowhead riding in the next federal election.

Current MP for Yellowhead Jim Eglinski announced earlier this year that he is not seeking re-election, opening the doors up for a new tory candidate to fill his seat.

In a Facebook post, McLean expressed his thanks to those who have supported him in his decision to seek the nomination, saying " I'm very grateful to all those who have offered their support and positive feedback to me in recent weeks."

McLean also stated his disappointment with the current Liberal government failing to improve the electoral system as well as ensuring greater pipeline access for oil and gas.

He also took aim at current budget deficits as well as proposed tax increases on small businesses, saying that they "continue to punish the self-employed," adding, "These are not examples of effective, responsible government."

McLean brings with him over 25 years of practising law along with 10 years of municipal government experience including four as mayor of Drayton Valley.

Two other candidates are running to land on the ticket, those being Robert Duiker of Rocky Mountain House and Carolyne Mackellar of Edson.

The 43rd federal election is scheduled to take place on October 21, 2019.

http://rdnewsnow.com/article/5.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nelson announces run for Conservative Party nomination

By Charlene Tebbutt

April 16, 2018 - 5:00pm

Richard Andrew Nelson has announced he will run for the Conservative Party nomination in the northern riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River

Photo Submitted/Richard Nelson

A second candidate has put his name forward for the Conservative Party nomination in the federal riding of Desnethe-Missinippi-Churchill River.

Richard Andrew Nelson announced he will seek the nomination in the northern riding. Nelson, who runs an equipment storage business and pasture remediation service, became the second candidate to put his name forward for the nomination after Al Jurgens announced he would also seek the nomination earlier this month.

Nelson operates his business and runs a small farm, which includes a flock of chickens and a cherry orchard, from the Battlefords area, but said much of his work is done throughout the North. He and his family are also looking for land for a potential move to the area, he said. Nelson said he has been preparing for a potential run for office by studying political science, Canadian history and Aboriginal self-government at university, and by working on several campaigns for other candidates.

There are numerous business and economic opportunities in the north, Nelson said, but problems around transportation and shipping are hindering growth.

“Voters right now are very concerned about their families, and they’re very concerned about our economy and they don’t feel like the federal government is engaging with us in a meaningful way,” Nelson said. “We need to get to every corner of this riding and we need to hear people’s concerns in those areas.”

The continuing rail backlog and high transportation costs are also impacting producers’ bottom line, he said.

“Our ag producers here have to truck their grain further. A job-killing carbon tax is the last thing we need," Nelson added.

The next federal election is expected to take place on or before October 21, 2019.

https://panow.com/article/754127/nelson-announces-run-conservative-party-nomination

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: