Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take this to mean you have two candidates that you would put before Brown.

To me, that means you endorse the putsch. I am staggered. I guess I am the only one on here who thinks like I do ...

It still seems to me that something really wrong happens when a couple of women can be recruited to make anonymous unsupportable charges against someone, ruining their life or at least meaning to, with no consequences.

Not, apparently, to most Progressive Conservatives. They should know that by making this callow play work, they are doing all they can to make sure that this is repeated.

The journalism hasn't even tried to find the Liberal Party connections to all of this. Or the CTV connections. We don't have a clue about how this came to light other than the reporter solicited the statements as an assignment, and that they were friends. I guess there's nothing stinky about that!

I guess there really is no moral difference between the Progressive Conservatives and the Liberals after all.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I take this to mean you have two candidates that you would put before Brown.

To me, that means you endorse the putsch. I am staggered. I guess I am the only one on here who thinks like I do ...

It still seems to me that something really wrong happens when a couple of women can be recruited to make anonymous unsupportable charges against someone, ruining their life or at least meaning to, with no consequences.

Not, apparently, to most Progressive Conservatives. They should know that by making this callow play work, they are doing all they can to make sure that this is repeated.

The journalism hasn't even tried to find the Liberal Party connections to all of this. Or the CTV connections. We don't have a clue about how this came to light other than the reporter solicited the statements as an assignment, and that they were friends. I guess there's nothing stinky about that!

I guess there really is no moral difference between the Progressive Conservatives and the Liberals after all.

at this point it borders on conspiracy theories as to where the original accusations came from .

the reality the Ontario pc's are having a leadership race , there is 5 candidates . just cause someone doesn't support brown or is unwilling to choose him as a second choice , doesn't mean they don't support the party

Brown was never that conservative to begin with , his policy bordered on liberal lite if not liberal to begin with , he blocked real conservatives from even seeking nominations and instead gave them to his personal friends , his leadership of the party was not stunning and he had never managed to get know across the province until now after being in the news for weeks over sexual misconduct stories
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know how good the search committee is at detecting 'royal jelly' so I can understand why you'd like to get on with that.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC party in ‘crisis,’ says Caroline Mulroney

Leadership hopeful calls on Patrick Brown to ‘do the right thing’ and leave the race, calling the ongoing chaos ‘distractions’ that hurt the party.

PC leadership candidate Caroline Mulroney said controversies are jeopardizing the Ontario PC party's chances of winning the June election.

By Kristin RushowyQueen's Park Bureau
Rob FergusonQueen's Park Bureau
Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Fri., Feb. 23, 2018

The Ontario PC Party is in “crisis,” leadership candidate Caroline Mulroney warned Friday as she called on for Patrick Brown to do “the right thing” and leave the race amid new revelations his personal finances are being probed by the province’s integrity commissioner.

Brown, the discredited former leader of the party, who resigned hours after allegations of sexual misconduct against two young women surfaced, was turfed from the PC caucus but nonetheless given the go-ahead to seek his old job by the party last week.

But Mulroney, speaking to reporters at her campaign headquarters in midtown Toronto, said the controversies are jeopardizing the party’s chances of winning the June election.

“It needs to be said. Our party is in crisis, and this leadership is simply too important to Ontarians,” Mulroney said. “Our goal is to fire Kathleen Wynne and we’re losing sight of that … We need someone who will stand up for our values — with integrity.

“Over the last couple of weeks, we’ve seen allegations of misconduct, wrongdoing and fighting within our party. Any candidate for leader—and for premier—needs to provide Ontarians with a way forward.

“(Thursday) night, I learned Patrick Brown is under investigation by the integrity commissioner, proving once again that these distractions have no place in the leadership race. I hope that he does the right thing for the party and steps aside.”

She called on the three other leadership hopefuls — Christine Elliott, Doug Ford and Tania Granic Allen — to also urge Brown to stand down.

Integrity Commissioner J. David Wake is demanding answers after a Brown staffer told the Star he rented out his tony estate on Lake Simcoe using AirBnB.

Earlier this month, Wake wrote to Brown asking for details following the Star story that raised questions about how the MPP could afford the five-bedroom house.

“I note that an article in the Toronto Star on February 9, 2018, an employee in your constituency office is quoted saying that you receive rental income from your home,” Wake wrote Feb. 12. “The Act also requires that you disclose all sources of income to my office, and as such I ask that you provide me with confirmation of same.”

Wake’s letter, obtained by the Star, came about a week prior to Conservative MPP Randy Hillier filing a complaint, asking for an investigation into Brown’s alleged financial irregularities to determine if they violate the Members’ Integrity Act.

Brown, now an independent MPP, spoke briefly to the Star on Thursday, saying “everything is in compliance with the integrity commissioner.”

He did not answer questions about any potential income from his stake in a downtown Barrie restaurant, but later called the Hillier complaint “fabricated.”

Questions have also been raised about Brown’s travel, which he has said were paid for by the PC party, as well as who covered the costs of several overseas trips where he was accompanied by his girlfriend.

Mulroney said the constant chaos is harming the party’s chances on June 7.

“This election is just too important to jeopardize by playing politics,” she said. “… This certainly isn’t the time to be distracted by one person’s problems. This is the time to unite the party.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/02/23/pc-party-in-crisis-says-caroline-mulroney.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former MP says botched online voting system could spell disaster for Ontario PC leadership election

Some letters in secret codes mailed to party members for electronic voting appear to be numbers, breeding confusion, says Frank Klees, a former cabinet ministerJack Boland / Toronto Sun

Tom Blackwell
Tom Blackwell

February 24, 2018
12:18 AM EST

Filed under
News

As if the Ontario Conservatives needed another controversy, a former Tory cabinet minister says major glitches with the online voting system for the party’s leadership race could spell disaster, leaving thousands unable to cast a ballot.

Frank Klees, a longtime member of provincial parliament who is backing businessman Doug Ford for leader, said Friday that if the problems are not fixed by the time voting starts March 2, the entire party executive should resign.

Klees said told the National Post he was unable to register to vote online using the secret code sent to him in the mail, and then was told by a party employee that a printing anomaly meant Os appeared as zeroes, Zs as twos and Ls as ones.

He eventually managed to register, he said, by replacing a two and zero in his code with the appropriate letters — but is worried that elderly, new-Canadian and computer-illiterate members could be stymied.

“Whoever designed that system is going to exclude, I would venture to say, 75 per cent of the people who bought memberships,” the former transport minister said. “If they think they’ve had problems in the last four weeks, they’ve seen nothing yet.”

Klees sat in the legislature for 19 years and twice ran for the leadership himself. He chose not to seek re-election in 2014.

Frank Klees, who is a longtime member of provincial parliament, has backed Doug Ford in the upcoming elections. DARREN BROWN

He said he has heard from many other Progressive Conservatives who have encountered similar problems.

But Hartley Lefton, chair of the party’s leadership organizing committee, questioned whether there are any significant problems.

He said his team has generally been “very pleased” by the feedback they’ve received on the system, with members praising its smoothness, “especially for Day one of a new process.”

“We continue to work closely with riding presidents and local candidates to help them with issues that they identify in their ridings,” Lefton said.

Meanwhile, the ongoing issue of exactly how many people have joined the party got a bit muddier Friday. Tory officials delayed at the last minute an announcement on the number of memberships added from the time the leadership race began until the cut-off point a week ago.

“The data is still in the final stages,” a party source said. “We’re told there’s a bit more work to do.”

And another source suggested the PCs had passed up on an opportunity to determine what proportion of memberships gathered under former leader Patrick Brown might be bogus.

The potential of invalid memberships was raised by Vic Fedeli, the interim leader, when he took over last month, vowing to “root out the rot” allegedly left by Brown. He soon revealed the party had 127,000 paid-up members, not 200,000 as Brown had claimed. But it appears a promised audit to verify the 127,000 has never taken place.

Then, when the party arranged to mail out the secret PINs for use in the leadership election, it opted against having letters with invalid addresses returned to the Conservatives, said the source.
See AlsoAndrew Coyne: Divide and conquer? In Canadian politics, it seems maybe not
Rex Murphy: Brown runs to replace himself as PCs race to debase themselves

Had they asked for “return mail,” they could have gotten some idea of how many were “fake,” he said.

Everyone with a paid-up membership as of last Friday is supposed to be able to participate in the election, the first the party has held online.

Klees said he called the help-line after spending two hours trying to register Thursday without success, a worker telling him eventually about the cconfusion between letters and numbers.

“She said, ‘When they printed these letters and these codes, there was unfortunately no differentiation when the final printing came out between a zero and an O and a one and an L and a two and a Z.”

The simplest solution would be to set up a physical polling station in each riding, so people unable to register and vote online can do so in person, Klees said.

Voting is scheduled for March 2 to 8, the results to be announced March 10

http://nationalpost.com/news/f.....p-election
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there was a story in the news this weekend that claimed a white nationalist was endorsing the Tanya Granic Allen campaign , although it now appears to be a hoax , he's not a pc party member and not even sure he lives in Ontario )

Tanya Granic Allen‏
@TGranicAllen

When I heard that this KKK guy mentioned by @TorontoStar had some affiliation with the PC Party I was horrified. Good news - it's not true! KKK guy not a PC member. No place in our party for white supremacists.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PC leadership candidate distances campaign from online support from white nationalist

Tanya Granic Allen said she 'strongly condemns' self-avowed white nationalist Paul Fromm

CBC News Posted: Feb 25, 2018 1:23 PM ET| Last Updated: Feb 25, 2018 1:29 PM ET

Ontario PC Leadership candidate Tanya Granic Allen strongly disavowed any support from Paul Fromm in a series of tweets on Sunday.

Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Tanya Granic Allen on Sunday moved to distance her campaign from the apparent support of a man with noted ties to white nationalist movements.

The Toronto Star reported on the weekend that Paul Fromm, director of an organization called the Canadian Association for Free Expression and anti-immigration activist, tweeted, "Check out Tanya Granic Allen for PC Leader. I just joined." Fromm included a link to Granic Allen's campaign website, where voters can register their support for the candidate.

The Star article also reported that Granic Allen did not respond to requests for comment on Fromm's tweet.

On Sunday, however, Granic Allen — a staunch social conservative who has said she was inspired to run by controversial University of Toronto psychology professor Jordan Peterson — sent out a torrent of tweets disavowing Fromm and criticizing the Star for its report.

"Shame on [the Toronto Star] for giving a platform to this repugnant KKK guy, whose name I refuse to mention, and whom I strongly condemn," she wrote.

Fromm has been pictured at various events in the past with U.S. white supremacist leaders such as former Ku Klux Klan member David Duke.

"If any of this guy's KKK ilk tries to join the PC Party, their membership applications will surely be rejected. And rightly so!" Granic Allen continued.

She went on to say that Fromm is not a registered member of the Ontario PC party, adding, "No place in our party for white supremacists."

As Granic Allen was issuing her informal response, her PC leadership rival Caroline Mulroney sent a tweet of her own, saying she is "outraged to see white nationalist Paul Fromm involved in our leadership race.

My campaign will challenge his membership. There is room for many different viewpoints in our party, but not racist ones. I call on Tanya and all candidates to join me in denouncing his involvement," she said.

While the three other leadership candidates were active on their social media accounts Sunday, none opted to jump into the fray as of midday.

Granic Allen responded directly to Mulroney, tweeting that Mulroney "should not be giving a platform and attention to a KKK guy by mentioning his name which I refuse to do."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4551248
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Brown is apparently considering pulling out of the race , although this has not been confirmed )

Patrick Brown 'seriously considering' pulling out of Ontario PC leadership race: source

Local

by News Staff
Posted Feb 26, 2018 5:29 am EST
Last Updated Feb 26, 2018 at 6:28 am EST

Patrick Brown is reportedly having doubts about continuing his bid to retake the helm of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party.

A source close to Brown told CityNews the embattled former leader is seriously considering pulling out of leadership race after threats to his friends and girlfriend. The source also said Brown’s mother has been hospitalized due to stress.

Campaign spokesperson Alise Mills took to social media early Monday morning and confirmed that threats have been made to Brown’s family but that he “has not stepped down.”

Brown resigned as Ontario Tory leader in January, hours after a CTV report in which the two women made sexual misconduct allegations that date back to the politician’s time as a federal MP.

Several weeks later, he registered to run for leadership of Ontario PC party.

Brown’s name was added to the candidates list on the Elections Ontario website with 30 minutes to go before the deadline to register expired.

http://www.680news.com/2018/02.....ship-race/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( more rumours that Brown is leaving the race )

Steve Paikin‏Verified account @spaikin · 1h1 hour ago

I'm now hearing that despite the campaign's denial, @brownbarrie will announce later this morning that he will drop out of the @OntarioPCParty leadership race. The drama continues. #pcpoldr #onpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( brown may have been personally involved in the controversial Hamilton West nomination meeting and made sure his favorite candidate won )

Patrick Brown directed top Tories to ‘get me the result I want’ in nomination now being probed by police

Brown personally directed his top party officials to “get me the result I want” in Tory nomination now the subject of a police investigation into alleged fraud and forgery, the Star has learned.

“Let them all fight it out. And get me the result I want. But no disqualifications here. Kitchen is too hot,” Brown said in a May 2 email exchange that is now in the hands of Hamilton Police.

By Kristin RushowyQueen's Park Bureau
Robert Benzie Rob FergusonQueen’s Park Bureau

Mon., Feb. 26, 2018

Patrick Brown personally directed his top party officials to “get me the result I want” in a Tory nomination now the subject of a police investigation into alleged fraud and forgery, the Star has learned.

The former Progressive Conservative leader emailed specific instructions to Bob Stanley, then the party’s executive director, and Rick Dykstra, then PC president, five days before the nomination meeting in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas.

“Let them all fight it out. And get me the result I want. But no disqualifications here. Kitchen is too hot,” Brown said in a May 2 email exchange that is now in the hands of Hamilton Police.

“Got it,” replied Stanley two minutes later, in a message that was also sent to Dykstra and another unidentified senior Conservative.

Brown — who resigned as Tory leader on Jan. 25 after CTV News revealed two women accused him of sexual impropriety — is now running again to be PC chief, though he may be reconsidering that bid.

Stanley was removed from his post in a Jan. 28 purge by interim Tory leader Vic Fedeli.

Dykstra quit later that same day — two hours after Maclean’s magazine contacted him about sexual assault allegations.

But last May, they were three of the most powerful men in the PC party and appeared deeply concerned about the candidate election meeting in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas (HWAD).

“For HWAD. Please ensure everyone is approved as a candidate and let’s release (the) membership list,” Brown told Stanley and Dykstra.

“Vikram. Peller. I am not in favour of disqualifying either of them despite their warts,” he wrote, referring to candidates Vikram Singh, a Hamilton lawyer, and Jeff Peller, who is in the wine industry.

“I don’t want cultural communities or donors feeling they were unfairly treated. We will deal with it on nomination day. Ideally neither of them are successful but not through disqualification.”

Dykstra assured Brown they would get the job done.

“Thanks Patrick. Was going to call u on this. We are giving him a chance to defend himself at 630pm,” the president said, in a reference to either Singh or Peller.

“Both Vikram and Jeffs (sic) justifications are weak but nonetheless approve,” stressed Brown.

After Ben Levitt won the disputed May 7 nomination, Singh alleged there was “wrongful insertion of false ballots.” He and Peller launched separate civil lawsuits against the PC party.

Those suits were settled before going to trial with terms not released, but Hamilton Police are still pursuing a criminal probe into the Tory contest.

The email exchange obtained by the Star was part of two banker’s boxes of evidence handed over to police detectives by the Tories on Oct. 27.

Federal prosecutors have been assigned to the case.

Brown, Dykstra, and Stanley did not immediately return messages seeking comment from the Star on Monday.

Two weeks ago, Levitt urged the party to hold a new election to “clear the air” before the June 7 provincial vote.

He made his plea after the Tories overturned two other controversial nomination results in Scarborough Centre and Ottawa West-Nepean.

“While I am fully confident that my conduct and the conduct of my team was exemplary throughout the … nomination process last year, the media continues to report on lingering questions,” Levitt said earlier this month.

But the Tories have no plans to re-open the contest — especially when Hamilton Police are investigating.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/02/26/patrick-brown-directed-top-tories-to-get-me-the-result-i-want-in-nomination-now-being-probed-by-police.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Brown withdrawing from leadership race?

Antonella Artuso

More from Antonella Artuso

James Wallace

More from James Wallace

Published:
February 26, 2018

Updated:
February 26, 2018 10:19 AM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
News ›
Ontario ›

Ontario Conservative leadership candidate Patrick Brown addresses supporters and the media in Toronto on February 18, 2018. Chris Young / THE CANADIAN PRESS

Patrick Brown told his closest advisers on Sunday night that he was withdrawing from the Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership race, a source told the Toronto Sun.

“It certainly looks like he’s stepping down,” the source said Monday.

Brown indicated he planned to send out a public statement sometime Monday and to meet with his campaign team in Barrie in the evening to thank them for their support.

The source cited the unrelenting attention on sexual impropriety allegations for at least part of the decision.

“They don’t feel it was ever going to stop,” the source said.

While Brown still intends to run to retain his Barrie seat as MPP, he won’t be endorsing any of the candidates in the Conservative leadership race.

Brown entered the race at the last minute, after a week in which he fought back vigorously against claims by two unnamed young women in a CTV story who accused him of sexual misconduct.

Since then, he has been the subject of a complaint to the integrity commissioner by PC MPP Randy Hillier that questions how he was able to purchase an expensive waterfront home and who paid for his trips abroad.

Brown has said his personal banking information was obtained in violation of his privacy, and that his family helped him with the down payment and the PC Party paid for cultural missions to places like India.

Leadership contender Caroline Mulroney has repeatedly called for him to step aside, arguing the leadership race is not the right place to clear one’s name

http://torontosun.com/news/pro.....ship-race?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Patrick Brown pulls out;
I am not exactly sure what I am voting for?

None of the candidates seem to be committing to a platform;
I hear a lot of "Only I can unite the party" or "Only I can defeat the Liberals" and that is all fine and good, but at the end of the day you need to stand for something.

Who is for tax cuts?
Who will prioritize balancing the budget on the back of record government tax revenue? Has the ship sailed on reducing the PST portion of the HST given the government has increased revenue significantly on the back of adding PST to previously GST only taxable items?
Whats the long term plan that doesn't involve racking debt to reduce the cost of hydro?

Aside from the carbon tax, sex ed curriculum, and being pro high speed train what exactly am I suppose to be basing my vote on?
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( after a day filled with rumours , it does appear Brown is out )

Evan Solomon‏Verified account @EvanLSolomon · 46m46 minutes ago

Source in @brownbarrie camp tells me that Brown will quit the race later today, as in post 6pm. The question remains, what are the reasons? Apparently the statement is ready to go. So Brown is out. #ontpoli

John Ivison‏Verified account @IvisonJ · 1h1 hour ago

@brownbarrie volunteers told to stop working on the campaign: source.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Claiming he’s faced death threats, that his family members have been harassed and that his mother has been hospitalized because of stress, Patrick Brown intends to pull out of the Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership race, two senior members of his campaign team said Monday.

The Ontario Conservative’s political maneuvers in the last few weeks have been nothing if not unpredictable. Brown’s apparent decision caps a bizarre, roller-coaster few weeks for the party, beginning with his resignation as leader last month, then a dramatic decision to enter the contest to fill his old job.

A formal announcement was planned for later Monday, the source told the National Post, though earlier Monday a Brown spokeswoman had refuted rumours that he was dropping out.

The campaign’s internal polling, released to the Post, suggested that Brown was doing surprisingly well, showing him tied for the first-ballot lead with former legislative member Christine Elliott and apparently gaining strength.

http://nationalpost.com/news/c.....ource-says
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
If Patrick Brown pulls out;
I am not exactly sure what I am voting for?

None of the candidates seem to be committing to a platform;
I hear a lot of "Only I can unite the party" or "Only I can defeat the Liberals" and that is all fine and good, but at the end of the day you need to stand for something.

Who is for tax cuts?
Who will prioritize balancing the budget on the back of record government tax revenue? Has the ship sailed on reducing the PST portion of the HST given the government has increased revenue significantly on the back of adding PST to previously GST only taxable items?
Whats the long-term plan that doesn't involve racking debt to reduce the cost of hydro?

Aside from the carbon tax, sex ed curriculum, and being pro high speed train what exactly am I suppose to be basing my vote on?

All of which was predictable, was it not?

You and I are supposed to fall in line, and do what you are told by the faceless figure directing this kabuki theatre episode.

It's Caroline's best chance.

This is the way I cut and dry it. You either are willing to trust Patrick Brown or not. If you don't know by now, you're probably on the sideline. There will be no more evidence. Brown's side effectively refuted the original stories, and both women have fled rather than back up their allegations with their own identity and facts.

That's the nut. If you think the charges are bogus, you think some group has pulled a fast one, and just can't figure out who. In that case, just to keep control of the organization, you would support Brown. That's my group.

If you believe the women, you'll support Caroline, just because she's all organized and ready for when the opportunity arrives. At a minimum, you'll see the campaign being between Caroline Whoever and Christine Elliott ... who goofily never took her husband's name!

But most people don't believe Brown because, you know, it's kind of creepy that a single successful fit young guy with prospects has a young adult woman for a girlfriend.

Tell me, gentlemen, if you were 39, and had 20-something young women, some of them with something on the ball as well as a push-up bra, rubbing themselves on you ... well, put it this way: what is the argument for a 40 year old woman? Throw in her child from a previous marriage?

There is just no other way of putting it -- you guys are just so full-of-shit about this! Do you realize the first incident occurred when Brown was almost 30? Tell me, is this
reason to depose a leader? Is this worth te price -- a leadership campaign on the eve of an election? Because a 28-year-old Brown meets a young woman in a bar and takes her someplace ...

If this is a plot, it exploits the fact that Brown has the kind of girl-friend that makes him vulnerable to salacious charges. At least in the present hysterical media environment, it does.

I don't believe that it's important. I think these people in the middle know very well that the probability of the charges being true is negligible, but they think the damage has been done and continues to be done.

I submit the opposite: the damage is done when party members act "as if" the allegations were true, ie. have a leadership convention at all. The damage is being done now. It's counter-intuitive, I know, but I think that's how it works in the public mind.

But those same people realize there are some shenanigans going on. It's just that they don't know how to stand up for a man in a case like this. They know how to be chivalrous, but they have no cultural map for when women are players, and a blind spot to understanding that women are experts in deception and betrayal. That part of 'lives of women' is out of the picture. Men feel uncomfortable talking in this vein, that's how unrealistic they are.

I think Cosmo reflects this. Our culture has a horribly distorted picture of women. We think all of them share the essential character of Mother Teresa. They wail about being oppressed to get more, even though they are the most favoured gender of any in all of human history. In such a climate, it is hard to even imply that there is a dark side of feminity. But women know, believe me they know. They even feel justified.
Queenmandy should ask his wife about that! You, too. (You can ask her without it being insulting.)

The fundamental issue in this leadership question has to do with turning the party over to a bunch of political pirates. The challenge to statesmanship is to stand up for what is right -- with grace. Patrick is the only one who can do that, and he may fail.

But if it turns out that this causes an opposition party to crumble before the might of a decaying patronage machine, how many other women will be thinking to themselves -- if she can do that, what about the time the boss made a lewd joke about my cleavage?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: