Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tories overturn two controversial nominations, as they clean house in post-Patrick-Brown era

Officials with the Tories’ provincial nominations committee on Friday night moved to toss out the results of dubious candidate elections in Scarborough Centre and Ottawa West-Nepean.

Former PC president Ken Zeise, a co-chair of the committee, said the “unanimous decision” was to hold new nomination meetings in the two ridings.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief
Rob FergusonQueen's Park Bureau

Fri., Feb. 9, 2018

The Progressive Conservatives are overturning controversial candidate nomination elections in Scarborough and Ottawa, as the party scrambles to fix problems from the Patrick Brown era.

Officials with the Tories’ provincial nominations committee on Friday night moved to toss out the results of dubious candidate elections in Scarborough Centre and Ottawa West-Nepean.

Former PC president Ken Zeise, a co-chair of the committee, said the “unanimous decision” was to hold new nomination meetings in the two ridings.

New candidate nominations will be held in time for the June 7 election, said Zeise.

Prior to the decision, Scarborough Centre candidate Thenusha Parani and Ottawa West-Nepean candidate Karma Macgregor issued a joint statement condemning the actions.

“We have learned today that there are actions being taken against a number of candidates by certain individuals based on rumours and innuendos,” the rookie candidates said.

“What’s more, we have not been asked for or provided an opportunity to provide our perspective,” they said. “Yet, sadly, today, we find more women are being targeted unfairly.

“We call on the leadership candidates Caroline Mulroney, Christine Elliot and Doug Ford, and interim leader Vic Fedeli, to put an end to this, so we can move forward collectively and focus on defeating the . . . Liberals in June as a team.”

Both had been approved by Brown, who resigned Jan. 25 after allegations of sexual impropriety involving teenage girls when he was a Conservative MP. He has denied any wrongdoing.

As previously reported in the Star, about a dozen PC candidate nominations across Ontario have ended chaotically, including the one in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas, which is now the focus of a Hamilton Police investigation into allegations of criminal fraud and forgery.

Because of the police probe, the Tories decided not to overturn the nomination.

They also chose to leave in place the result in Newmarket-Aurora, where 14 Tory riding officials quit after voting problems there last April.

In Ottawa West-Nepean, Macgregor won by 15 votes over runner-up Jeremy Roberts last May, in an election where there were 28 more ballots in boxes than people who had registered to vote.

The local riding association executive resigned en masse after that fiasco as did a party vice-president.

In Scarborough Centre, there were so many irregularities at Parani’s June nomination that former Tory cabinet minister Marilyn Mushinski, the last Tory to represent the riding, went public to voice her outrage.

The PC changes come as part of a post-Brown purge.

His allies in the party, including former PC executive director Bob Stanley, a kingpin in the nomination process, have been removed by Fedeli from key jobs.

Former PC president Rick Dykstra was forced to resign two weeks ago after sexual assault allegations were leveled against him. Dykstra has maintained he did nothing wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Party overturns Ottawa West-Nepean PC nomination

Riding executives had resigned due to controversial nomination

CBC News Posted: Feb 09, 2018 9:59 PM ET| Last Updated: Feb 09, 2018 9:59 PM ET

Karma MacGregor and her supporters have been campaigning since she won a controversial nomination race in Ottawa-West Nepean in May 2017. The party ruled late Friday that her controversial nomination would be overturned.

The long-contested nomination for the Progressive Conservatives in Ottawa West-Nepean has been overturned.

The nomination contest in May 2017 elected Karma Macgregor to carry the party's banner in this year's election, but almost immediately party members said there were irregularities and demanded a new contest.

The riding association's entire executive resigned over the nomination after former PC leader Patrick Brown intervened in the appeal process and appointed Macgregor as the candidate.

Allan Cutler was among those who resigned from the local riding association executive. He said riding associations across the province were disenfranchised by nomination contests that had serious irregularities and the decision to hold a new vote is a good move.

"I think it is an excellent move when you look at what was going on around the province," he said.

The party also announced the nomination would be re-opened in Scarborough Centre, a Toronto riding.

Cutler said he had a lot of concerns about the way the nomination was run last year and he's thrilled the party is letting a new contest take place.

"Suffice it to say there were major irregularities and I think a fair and open nomination process is the greatest thing on Earth."

He also commended the party's interim leader Vic Fedeli for cleaning up the party and staying out of the leadership race.

Candidate undecided

Jeremy Roberts, who challenged Macgregor for the nomination last year, released a statement welcoming the news.

"Today, I feel more optimistic than ever that the future for our party and our province is bright. I look forward to doing my part in this important work," he said.

Roberts was not available for an interview and, in his statement, said he would be consulting with family and friends, but would make an announcement soon about his future plans.

Macgregor unavailable

Macgregor could not be reached for comment late Friday evening, but issued a statement earlier Friday with three other candidates when the nomination contests were being reviewed.

"Along with our fellow Ontario PC Candidates, we have worked hard since our nomination knocking on thousands of doors promoting the principles of the Ontario PC Party in our ridings. Our dedication to the Party stems from our belief in these very principles, as well as the importance of diversity and inclusivity. And yet sadly today, we find more women are being targeted unfairly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PC candidate asks party to review the nomination in his Hamilton riding

Ben Levitt says he wants to 'clear the air' around his win

By Samantha Craggs, CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 5:19 PM ET| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 5:19 PM ET

Ben Levitt is Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas's provincial PC candidate. On Tuesday, Levitt wrote the party president asking the party to hold the nomination again to "clear the air" around his win.

The winner of the Ontario PC nomination contest in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas (HWAD) has asked the party to hold the nomination vote again.

Ben Levitt, who won the contest at a May 2017 meeting in Ancaster, wrote the party's president Tuesday saying he wants the riding included with two others the party has agreed to do again.

"As a person of integrity, I applaud the efforts to do the right thing in view of questions raised about the conduct of party officials at those meetings," Levitt said in a statement.

"I would similarly like to clear the air in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas."

If accepted, HWAD would join Scarborough Centre and Ottawa West-Nepean in getting new nomination votes. The party's nomination committee decided late last week to hold new nominations in the other two ridings.

The decision came after the firing or resignation of several party brass, including former party president Rick Dykstra, former executive director Bob Stanley and former leader Patrick Brown.

Controversy has surrounded Levitt's win since last May. There's even a current police investigation around the actions of some party officials.

Two contenders, Vikram Singh and Jeff Peller, asked Brown to review Levitt's nomination after what they say was ballot box stuffing at one of the voting tables. Brown bypassed a review and certified Levitt's nomination, along with several others, in June.

Singh and Peller then asked courts for a judicial review, but both later dropped their cases.

Neither of the cases alleged wrongdoing on Levitt's part, but rather focused on Dykstra, Stanley and other party staffers.

Levitt, who works in MP David Sweet's office, said he's confident he and his team had "exemplary" conduct, and added that "the media continues to report on lingering questions."

He said in an interview that he doesn't want the nomination to be a distraction from "an extremely important election."

"It was never the original intention to do it twice," he said of the nomination meeting. "But it's the right thing to do, and I'm prepared to do it again."

Singh couldn't be reached for comment. But Peller said he's not sure if he'd run again. He's not even going to think about it until the provincial nomination committee makes a decision.

He is disappointed the initial nomination committee announcement didn't include HWAD. There's "unrest" in the party over only two ridings being included, he said.

Levitt's request, he said, seems to be "an honourable move."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a weird candidate to begin with , the Calgary dentist has withdrawn from the race in Cambridge )

Calgary dentist Tanya Khattra quits Cambridge PC nomination race

By Jackie Sharkey, CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 5:05 PM ET| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 5:48 PM ET

Tanya Khattra has withdrawn from the nomination race to be the Progressive Conservative candidate for Cambridge in the upcoming provincial election.

CBC news has learned Tanya Khattra, the Calgary dentist that had been seeking the Progressive Conservative nomination in Cambridge, has withdrawn from the race.

Khattra has come under fire since she announced she would be running for the nomination. Many in the riding say she has tenuous — if any — ties to the community.

"I've been excited about the prospect of representing the PCs in Cambridge, but I've decided not to seek the nomination there," wrote Khattra in an email to CBC Kitchener-Waterloo Tuesday afternoon.

Tanya Khattra campaign Facebook Cambridge
Last week, Calgary Dentist Tanya Khattra told CBC News that until she's nominated, 'I'm a private citizen and I'd prefer not to comment' on if she would continue to run for the PC nomination in Cambridge. On Tuesday she revealed she was withdrawing from the nomination race. (Facebook)

She said she remains "enthusiastically committed to the PC cause" and is looking at how to best serve the party going forward.

Will Elliott run in Cambridge?

In the meantime she said she has decided to "throw my full efforts for now behind Christine Elliott in her campaign for leadership of our party. I'm hopeful that she will decide to run in Cambridge herself!"

Speculation swirled on Tuesday around if Elliott would seek the nomination in Cambridge for the June provincial election.

Several Conservative party sources confirmed to CBC News that Elliott has been eyeing ridings where a candidate has not yet been nominated by her party.

Elliott will join members of the Ontario PC Caucus at a "momentum-building PC rally ahead of the 2018 election" at Maxwell's in Waterloo Tuesday night.

Nomination date TBD

The Cambridge riding has been the source of local controversy for months, ever since a local nomination meeting was cancelled in September by the Progressive Conservative executive.

At the time, party president Rick Dykstra chalked it up to a "misunderstanding."

Although there have been reports the local nomination meeting to choose a candidate would be held March 24, president of the Cambridge PC riding association Rob Leone told CBC News on Feb. 8 that "given the leadership election for the party, the Cambridge nomination date is yet to be determined."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Elliott might be considering Cambridge as a possible riding to run in although she doesn't have many ties to the city )

PC leadership hopeful Christine Elliott considers running in Cambridge: Sources

Elliott has support of local MPP, candidates

By Kate Bueckert, CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 11:55 AM ET| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 11:55 AM ET

Christine Elliott is considering becoming the Progressive Conservative candidate in Cambridge for the upcoming June election. Elliott is currently running to become leader of the PC party.

Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership hopeful Christine Elliott is considering becoming her party's candidate in Cambridge for the June provincial election.

Multiple party sources confirmed to CBC News that Elliott is looking at ridings where a candidate has not yet been nominated.

Ron Dancey is the vice president of the riding and said he has heard the rumours of Elliott considering Cambridge.

"I welcome all comers. Yes, Cambridge might be a good spot for her," he said in a phone interview, adding if she becomes the leader, "she'll probably go wherever she wants."

Elliott is expected to attend a party event in Waterloo Tuesday afternoon.

All three registered leadership candidates — Elliott, former Toronto councillor Doug Ford and lawyer Caroline Mulroney — have been invited to take part in the event. The PC caucus is in Waterloo region for meetings.

Cambridge PC nomination date 'to be determined'

Rob Leone, the former MPP for Cambridge and the current riding association's president, said he did not know whether Elliott was considering Cambridge.

"I know nothing about it. It's all speculation," he said in an email.

Last week, Leone said the riding is still deciding when to hold a nomination meeting.

"Given the leadership election for the party, the Cambridge nomination date is yet to be determined," he said.

Elliott has support from local candidates. Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris, along with Kitchener South-Hespeler candidate Amy Fee and Kitchener Centre candidate Mary Henein Thorn announced their support for Elliott last week and even launched a website dedicated to helping her get elected as the new leader.

The leadership race was called after former leader Patrick Brown stepped down after sexual misconduct allegations, which he has denied.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the son of former premier Mike Harris is seriously considering running in waterloo according to this report )

Mike Harris Jr., son of the former Premier mulling over the PC nomination in Waterloo

by Jeff Pickel
Posted Feb 16, 2018 7:58 am EST

The son of a former Ontario Premier says he is seriously considering putting his name forward as the PC candidate in the riding of Waterloo.

Mike Harris Jr. says he will likely decide next week if he will enter the race, “My team and I are looking in to what it takes to be the PC nomination in Waterloo, hopefully within the next week or week and a half we should have a good solid answer, but it’s something we are aggressively looking into. ” said Harris Jr.

Harris Jr. also points out that he is no parachute candidate and has strong ties to the city, “I moved down to Waterloo about 5 years ago with my family, we have five kids, my partner Kim, I moved here to peruse some entrepreneurial opportunities, we’ve really enjoyed living in the city, it’s a place that we don’t think we’d ever leave.” said Harris Jr.

If he decides to run this will be Harris Jr’s first time in politics, but he says growing up the son of a former Premier has him ready for what to expect, “It was tough growing up, it wasn’t easy, there were a lot of things said about my family and me personally over the years, but I think its part and parcel, it comes with the territory and you have to let it roll off your back, we are a strong family we know what to expect and everybody’s pretty excited.” Said Harris.

As for how to keep track of all the people named “Michael Harris” straight during the election Mike Harris Jr. says they have a plan, “The big thing is differentiating that we are going to make sure we have the Jr. attached, my dad has always gone by Mike, Kitchener-Conestoga MPP has always gone by Michael, and we are going to throw the Jr. in just so we can differentiate the three.” said Harris.

Right now the nominations for all three major parties remain vacant, the Liberals and NDP plan to announce their nominee’s in March.

The Waterloo seat is currently held by the NDP’s Catherine Fife

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local sweet corn farmer seeks Ontario PC nomination

Richard Simpson says he'll 'bring his salt-of-the-earth and business sense approach to Queen’s Park'
about 11 hours ago by: BarrieToday Staff

Richard Simpson crop
Richard Simpson. Photo supplied

INNISFIL - Richard Simpson is seeking the nomination for the Ontario PCs in the Barrie-Innisfil riding. Richard will bring his salt-of-the-earth and business sense approach to Queen’s Park and help change the direction this Province has been heading under the current government.

As a 52-year resident of Innisfil with deep roots in Barrie, which include past family businesses and many nights spent helping his father at Barrie Raceway taking care their Standardbred race horses, a local sweet corn farmer and certified plumber, Richard knows the local issues well and believes in taking action to address them. That’s why he has been actively involved in protecting our environment through roles with federal clean-up funds and most recently as vice-chair of the Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority.

Additionally, Richard has been honoured to represent Ward 2 residents for nearly eight years as an Innisfil Town Councillor. But after speaking with his family and community, Richard wants to do more.

“I hear from all over Barrie and Innisfil that the decisions being made to us by the Province are totally disconnected from our core values. It’s time to take back our Province’s future and I want to help do that.”

PC members will have the opportunity to vote for their preferred candidate at the upcoming nomination meeting, currently scheduled for March 1, 2018. The successful candidate will then face off against the other parties' candidates in the Provincial Election on June 7, 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher seeking PC nomination in Toronto-Danforth riding

'I think in this election we're going to see some amazing females come forward,' she says

By Ellen Samek on February 20th, 2018.

Despite the roller-coaster ride of turmoil facing the provincial Tories in recent days, Patricia Kalligosfyris couldn’t be prouder to be a part of the party.

The high school business teacher from York region is currently seeking the nomination as Progressive Conservative candidate for Toronto-Danforth, an area her Greek family first settled in when coming to Canada.

She is especially proud to be a young woman making strides in a party that hasn’t always been known for its female presence.

“I have always felt part of the team and to see more women as a part of the PC party and becoming candidates is amazing. I think the PC party stands for both males and females,” she said. “I think in this election we’re going to see some amazing females come forward and hopefully win and become MPPs.”

If selected by party members, she would represent the PC party in the next provincial election scheduled to take place in June 2018.

The Toronto-Danforth riding is currently represented by Peter Tabuns of the NDP.

Kalligosfyris held a meet-and-greet event Sunday at Sophie’s Sports Bar on Cosburn Avenue as a way of connecting with community members. She also delivered a brief speech.

“There are a lot of things within the Toronto-Danforth I want to focus on because this would be my riding,” she said in an interview. “They have issues with their downtown line; they want a relief line. It’s really busy during rush hour, so that’s something I want to really push for them.”

In addition to improving transit along line two, Kalligosfyris says she wants to focus on helping small businesses in the riding.

Stopping the construction of bike lanes along Danforth Avenue and slowing down the increase of the minimum wage are issues touched upon in her speech.

Her passion for supporting small businesses is important to Peter Viris, a finance professional who attended the meet-and-greet.

“I like the fact that she supports small businesses. Small businesses are key, especially now with Canada,” Viris said. “We’re having a challenge in manufacturing, we’re having a challenge with corporations leaving for one reason or another. Small business is our future.”

Kalligosfyris made a good impression on attendee David Lasker.

“She spoke briefly at an event on Monday and I liked what she was saying,” he said.

While the event focused on the issues important to Kalligofyris’ platform and her pride in representing a riding close to her heart, the scandal of Patrick Brown’s sexual misconduct allegations and entry into the leadership race hung in the air.

When asked about Brown running for the leadership again, Kalligofyris was honest about her reservations.

“There would have been many opportunities in the future for him to come forward, to be a leader. Maybe when these allegations fully get resolved and his name is fully cleared, then maybe he could run again,” she said.

Those who came out to the event also voiced their concerns about Brown entering the leadership race in an effort to regain his former position.

“Him coming back isn’t what’s best for the party because what it’s doing is creating a big distraction,” attendee Viris said.

Kalligofyris would not specify if she supported anyone in the current leadership race, but said this regarding a possible Brown victory.

“At the end of the day I’m running for Toronto-Danforth,” she said, “and if PC members in Ontario vote for Patrick Brown, I can’t say anything against that.”

The nomination vote will take place Feb. 28 at 7 p.m. at the East York Community Centre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC leadership hopeful wants Cambridge memberships tossed

Tanya Granic Allen plans to run in local riding

News 10:14 PM by Greg Mercer  Waterloo Region Record|

Tanya Granic Allen

Tanya Granic Allen - Justin Tang , The Canadian Press

CAMBRIDGE — Ontario PC leadership contender Tanya Granic Allen wants the party to throw out more than 2,000 memberships signed up in Cambridge by a controversial, out-of-province candidate.

Granic Allen, who plans to run as a candidate in Cambridge, made an urgent appeal to reject 2,078 memberships signed up by Calgary dentist Tanya Khattra.

Those memberships are among almost 12,000 unprocessed paper memberships spread over nine ridings that were "discovered" at PC party headquarters and submitted before the Feb. 16 deadline, according to an appeal letter from the Granic Allen campaign.

The letter argues those questionable memberships should all be deleted — and could now help sway the outcome of the party's leadership race.

Khattra is the so-called parachute candidate who is ineligible to seek public office in Ontario, but has refused to meet with a provincial nomination committee that would disqualify her.

Now the debate centres on hundreds of new memberships she signed up in her bid to win the local nomination. Granic Allen, who lives in Grey County, listed Cambridge as the riding she intends to run in, which would put her up against Sunny Attwal and Bert Laranjo. The riding's nomination meeting will be decided March 24.

Granic Allen argues that Khattra's memberships shouldn't count, because they were signed up in support of a candidate that didn't meet residency requirements laid out in Ontario's Election Act.

"The individuals identified on the membership applications, if legitimate, were seemingly deceived into joining the PCPO on a fraudulent basis," reads a letter sent by the Granic Allen campaign to the PC party's Chair, Rules and Appeals Board.

Her appeal was dismissed by the board on Thursday night. Granic Allen declined to comment on that decision, but her campaign's letter suggested the fight wasn't finished.

Granic Allen's isn't alone in her concern. Leadership rivals Caroline Mulroney and Doug Ford agreed those 12,000 memberships need to be scrutinized further.

"We believe the party should audit those members," said Melissa Lantsman, spokesperson for Mulroney.

The only leadership candidate who didn't support Granic Allen's call to reject those memberships was Christine Elliot — who is being endorsed by the Khattra campaign, which has pledged to bring their supporters with them.

"The Party has determined that these are legitimate memberships that were purchased prior to the membership cutoff, and therefore they should be eligible to vote," said Melanie Paradis, Elliott's spokesperson.

"Members should not be disenfranchised unless and until there are hard facts demonstrating ineligibility."

In her appeal letter, Granic Allen contends Khattra's memberships shouldn't be accepted because they were "submitted by a potential candidate for nomination who is currently a resident of the province of Alberta, and who is thus ineligible to seek election to the Ontario legislature."

Under provincial election law, anyone running for public office must have lived in Ontario for at least six months prior to voting day.

The appeal is part of her broader attack against what she sees as corruption in the party. Granic Allen believes those who were signed up to support Khattra should not be allowed to vote in the leadership contest.

"As the premise presented to these individuals in making their decision to join the PCPO was based on a deceptive basis, and as these individuals have shown no other intention to join the PCPO for any other reason, including for the purposes of voting in this leadership election, it would follow that these membership application should not be accepted," Granic Allen's letter reads.

In Wednesday's leadership debate, Granic Allen went on the offensive against irregularities in ridings around the province. She blamed ousted Tory leader Patrick Brown for allowing to alleged voter fraud to fester under his watch.

Granic Allen's concerns about the memberships signed up by the Khattra campaign is the latest in the drama around the Alberta dentist. Last month, someone from the Khattra campaign sent a revised membership list to PC headquarters after it was revealed hundreds of the names she had submitted were being scrutinized by the party.

Rob Leone, president of the Cambridge riding association, said the total number of PC memberships sold in Cambridge is just over 2,500 — and all of them are eligible to vote in the leadership contest.

"I cannot comment on the number of memberships each camp have sold, as I do not know that information, and I would consider any numbers being floated around as optimistic estimates," he said.

Voting by party members for a new leader began Friday and wraps up March 8, with a winner to be announced at a party convention in Markham on March 10.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of former Ontario premier Mike Harris will seek the nomination for the PC party in Waterloo riding

by Mark Douglas
Posted Mar 2, 2018 11:53 am EST

Ontario interim Conservative leader Vic Fedeli (left) with Mike Harris Jr. (middle) and former premier Mike Harris (right). Photo credit: Vic Fedeli.

It could be an intense race to be the MPP for Waterloo this June: Mike Harris Jr. wants to represent that riding.

He confirmed his plans to 570NEWS this morning to seek the nomination from the local Progressive Conservative Riding Association, but says it may be a couple weeks before they decide.

He says that’s understandable as voting in the party leadership race got underway today.

The riding of Waterloo is currently represented by N-D-P M-P-P, Catherine Fife.

Harris Jr. acknowledges there may be some confusion over his name regognition: his father is Mike Harris Sr., the former Ontario premier.

And the nearby riding of Kitchener-Conestoga is represented by fellow P-C member, Michael Harris.

Harris Jr. says he has lived in Waterloo for almost five years now, and as an MPP would focus on getting small- and medium-sized businesses back on track; bringing back manufacturing; and bringing relief to Waterloo families on their taxes and hydro bills.

He says he’ll be launching his social media campaign on Monday

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khanjin named Barrie-Innisfil PC candidate

News 11:57 AM Innisfil Journal|

Andrea Khanjin

Andrea Khanjin is representing the Ontario Progressive Conservative party in Barrie-Innisfil. - Andrea Khanjin/Facebook

Andrea Khanjin has been selected to represent the Ontario Progressive Conservative party for the Barrie-Innisfil riding.

The nomination was held March 1.

“I congratulate Andrea Khanjin on her nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Barrie-Innisfil,” interim Ontario PC leader Vic Fedeli stated in a press release. "Andrea brings more than a decade of experience as a trusted senior adviser to political parties, public figures, not-for-profits, and government.”

Khanjin was a senior adviser in the Stephen Harper government for 10 years and also served as a senior policy adviser to Patrick Brown when he was the leader of the Ontario party.

Also running in the riding are Bonnie North for the Green Party, Ann Hoggarth for the Liberals and Pekka Reinio for the NDP.

The Ontario general election is set for June 7, 2018.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the controversial scarborough centre nomination has been delayed )

A rerun of the overturned Progressive Conservative Scarborough Centre nomination was postponed after one candidate and some party members objected.

Thenusha Parani, a late-entry candidate supported by former PC leader Patrick Brown, was nominated in a controversial meeting last June. On Feb. 9, the party threw that result out.

Parani was scheduled to face the same two rivals, Antonio Villarin and Christina Mitas, on March 8 at the Markham Convention Centre, but on March 1, Basu Mukherjee, PC riding president, said the party delayed the vote until March 29.

This happened, he said, because one candidate and some members argued the nomination should wait until the party’s leadership race is over.

At first, Villarin and Mitas refused to run unless Parani was disqualified. Both changed their minds.

Earlier this week, Villarin said he looked forward to a March 8 contest, adding he considered Brown’s withdrawal from the PC leadership race a “ray of hope” for a more accountable party.

Last month, Marilyn Mushinski, the former PC MPP for Scarborough Centre, said she thought last year’s nomination process “was an affront to local democracy,” due to “highly questionable practices on behalf of one particular candidate.”

Mushinski applauded the party for having the courage to overturn the nomination, but argued Parani shouldn’t be allowed to run again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC candidate for Mushkegowuk-James Bay chosen

Friday, March 2, 2018 12:52:21 EST PM

TIMMINS - André Robichaud has been nominated as the Progressive Conservative candidate for Mushkegowuk-James Bay.

According to a release from Vic Fedeli, interim Ontario PC leader, Robichaud is Principal of Ontario North Consulting, "where he works with private, public and not-for-profit organizations to help them achieve their goals."

He's previously worked as economic development officer for the Town of Kapuskasing, "where he championed the creation of quality jobs and promoted economic growth in the community," said Fedeli. "André has a wealth of experience fighting and standing up for the North, and I know he would be a strong representative for Mushkegowuk-James Bay."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( after the first nomination was highly controversial , no one else ran for the second one and candidate though to have won first meeting is being acclaimed )

Jeremy Roberts to launch official PC MPP campaign in Ottawa West-Nepean

By Janice Dickson. Published on Mar 5, 2018 2:11pm

Almost one year after a highly controversial Ontario Progressive Conservative nomination contest in Ottawa West-Nepean that saw former leader Patrick Brown’s chief of staff’s mother chosen over Jeremy Roberts – Roberts will officially become the acclaimed candidate on Wednesday. “I am so excited to announce that I will be launching my Official Campaign to be your

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge P.C. riding nomination to be held March 24

Interested candidates have until Friday to apply

CBC News · Posted: Mar 06, 2018 11:28 AM ET | Last Updated: March 6

Interested candidates have until Friday to apply for a Cambdrige PC ridership nomination.

Progressive Conservatives in Cambridge, Ont., will finally be able to elect their candidate for this years provincial election.

The bid for the nomination and voting is set to take place on March 24, at St. Benedict High School starting at noon.

The riding has been a source of controversy since last September when the party's executive changed the original nomination meeting from a date in November to October.

That forced people interested in running to submit paperwork sooner than initially expected.

Since then there have been rumours of PC leadership hopeful Christine Elliot considering a run for the membership. A Calgary dentist also decided to run but has told CBC Kitchener-Waterloo she decided not to seek the nomination.

Anyone interested in running for the nomination or joining the party to vote has until Friday March 9, to complete the paperwork.

The nomination will be conducted using a preferential ballot.

The new Cambridge riding includes North Dumfries, the Preston & Galt sections of Cambridge, and a part of northern Brant County.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next  

Jump to: