Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Conservative leadership hopeful Kellie Leitch will not run in 2019

Kellie Leitch
Conservative MP Kellie Leitch at Rideau Hall in Ottawa, Monday, July 15, 2013. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:45AM EST

Former Conservative Party leadership candidate Kellie Leitch, who campaigned for a “values” test to screen new Canadians, will not seek re-election in 2019, CTV News has learned.

Leitch finished sixth in the Tory leadership race last year, running on a controversial platform that drew comparisons to U.S. President Donald Trump’s immigration. Leitch was among those celebrating Trump’s election victory in November of 2016, calling it an “exciting message that needs to be delivered to Canada as well.”

She’s also known for championing a proposed hotline for reporting so-called “barbaric cultural practices” as part of the Conservative platform in the 2015 election.

Leitch confirmed her departure from politics to CTV News on Wednesday. When asked if she wished she had done anything differently, she said: “No.”

Leitch, a pediatric orthopedic surgeon by trade, served under two different cabinet posts under former prime minister Stephen Harper.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Miller Is Federal PC Candidate In Bruce-Grey Owen Sound

By John ChippaJanuary 25, 2018 6:50am
The current MP for Bruce-Grey Owen Sound wants to stick around for another term.

The local Electoral District Association has announced that Larry Miller has been acclaimed as the Conservative Party of Canada’s candidate in the riding for the 2019 federal election.

Miller has served as the member of parliament for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound since his initial election in 2004.

Since that time, Miller has run successfully in elections in 2006, 2008, 2011, and 2015.

According to the Canada Elections Act the next general election is set for the third Monday in October of 2019.

“We are tremendously proud to have Larry Miller stand as our candidate in Bruce-GreyOwen Sound for a sixth consecutive election,” said Mary Dickson, president of the Conservative Party EDA for Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound. “As always there is great energy and enthusiasm for Larry’s candidacy, which is only sure to increase as we approach the 2019 election.”

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservatives lining up to run against Hehr in Calgary Centre

James Wood James Wood

Published on: January 31, 2018 | Last Updated: January 31, 2018 7:19 PM EST

The exterior of Liberal Member of Parliament Kent Hehr's constituency office is shown in downtown Calgary on Thursday, January 25, 2018. Jim Wells/Postmedia

With Liberal MP Kent Hehr embroiled in controversy, Calgary Conservatives are lining up for the chance to reclaim his Calgary Centre seat for the Tories.

Claudia Lemire, the president of the Conservatives’ electoral district association for Calgary Centre, said there was already strong interest in the party’s nomination before Hehr was accused last week of making sexually inappropriate comments to staff at the legislature when he was an Alberta MLA.

“Now, more names are coming forward,” she said in an interview.

“We are going to take the riding back.”

Lemire said at least 10 potential candidates have expressed interest, and she guesses about half will ultimately enter the contest, which will be held in the next few months.

Among those contemplating a run for the Tory nomination are former provincial United Conservative Party leadership candidate Doug Schweitzer, communications consultant Michael Solberg — the son of former MP Monte Solberg — French immersion educator Lesley Doell, and Tamara Loiselle, a consultant on environmental and Indigenous issues.

Dustin Franks, the top aide to city Coun. Sean Chu, is definitely planning to run, while Calgary lawyer Rick Billington is also almost certain to enter the race.

No date for the nomination has been set. The Conservative party opened up the process last week by allowing potential candidates to pick up nomination packages.

In 2015, Hehr and Darshan Kang, who won in Calgary Skyview, became the first Liberal MPs elected in the conservative stronghold of Calgary in four decades.

But since then, both men have faced accusations of sexual harassment, with Kang removing himself from the Liberal caucus last fall. Hehr resigned from the Liberal cabinet last Thursday but remains a member of the government caucus.

Even before the allegations against him arose last week, Hehr was shuffled last August from the Veterans Affairs ministry to the lower-profile portfolio of Sports and Persons with Disabilities.

He had also come under fire last fall over accusations he was rude in meetings with stakeholders and constituents.

Hehr only narrowly won Calgary Centre in 2015, edging out incumbent Conservative MP Joan Crockatt by 750 votes, but the inner-city riding is among the toughest terrain for the party in Tory-blue Alberta.

Franks, who served as an aide to former Calgary Centre MP Lee Richardson, said he’s running because he’s unhappy with the Trudeau government’s record on the economy and pipelines.

But as an openly gay man, he said he would also bring a different outlook to the Conservative party.

“People need to see that parties change, they’re organic,” said the 30-year-old Franks, who ran and lost for the provincial Progressive Conservative nomination in Calgary-Currie in 2015.

Billington said he had given some thought to the nomination but the recent controversy around Hehr led to an upsurge of interest in the potential race, “which tends to focus your attention a lot more sharply.”

He said the party has to be prepared not just for a general election in 2019 but a potential byelection that could come much sooner.

“We’re faced, quite frankly, with the prospect of what if Kent Hehr resigns? We just don’t know where that stands right now,” said Billington, who unsuccessfully sought the Calgary Centre nomination in 2012 and the Calgary Heritage nomination last year.

Hehr’s office declined to comment Wednesday.

Other potential Tory candidates are still weighing whether to get into the race.

Schweitzer, a Calgary lawyer who finished third in last year’s UCP leadership race won by Jason Kenney, declined an interview request this week.

But he said in an email that he has been encouraged to run for the Calgary Centre nomination and for a provincial seat.

“I am giving both opportunities serious consideration but haven’t made a decision,” he said.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP Mike Lake challenged for Edmonton-Wetaskiwin nomination

Sarah O. Swenson/Wetaskiwin Times

Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:41:43 MST PM

Current MP Mike Lake, seen here at Diamond Jubilee Park’s grand opening in Wetaskiwin last October, is being challenged for his nomination in Edmonton- Wetaskiwin. Lake will be campaigning for the next few months and has gathered the support of many long serving politicians in his constituency, including former Wetaskiwin Mayor Bill Elliot. (Sarah O. Swenson/Wetaskiwin Times)

Edmonton-Wetaskiwin MP Mike Lake is one of three Conservative Members of Parliament from Alberta being challenged for their constituency nomination ahead of the anticipated 2019 federal election.

Political newcomer Gordon Francis is challenging the four-term incumbent. Those whishing to challenge sitting MPs for their riding’s nomination were only required to get 50 signatures in support by the Dec. 15, 2017 deadline.

For Lake, the challenge for his job wasn’t really much of a surprise.

“This riding has 2,000 active (CPC) members, so 50 signatures is just 2.5 per cent and it’s not quite the same task it would be in other parts of the country so we thought there would be a shot for someone else to decide they want to be a Member of Parliament,” explained Lake.

“This is democracy at work. You work all year long as an MP so that when there’s an exercise in democracy, you can be successful.”

Historically, the riding has voted Conservative at the federal level and overwhelmingly voted Conservative in the last election, with Lake receiving 65 per cent of the votes.

That might make the seat look secure for anyone who might win the nomination, but Lake knows there is a lot more to it than that.

Elected first to Edmonton-Mill Woods in 2006, before the riding lines realigned and became Edmonton-Wetaskiwn in 2015, Lake said his drive to serve comes from a love of people and a team spirit.

Those two traits will serve Lake, or whoever wins the nomination, well as they will be representing the country’s largest constituency by population and one of its most diverse, covering large urban and rural areas, as well as areas heavily populated with immigrants and First Nations people.

Growing up in Devon, Lake was quite familiar with the surrounding smaller communities that were added to his constituency.

Wetaskiwin and Leduc had expressed concerns they might not see much of their new MP due to the size of the riding and the large and growing south side of Edmonton, but Lake has work hard to quell those worries.

“I took (those concerns) very seriously,” said Lake, adding that his staff made visiting rural areas a priority.

“We have incredible diversity here, with that urban-rural mix ... It’s a fun riding to represent and very dynamic.”

Feedback from constituents and party members has been overwhelmingly positive, said Lake, and representatives from several municipalities have publicly backed his bid to secure the nomination, including former Wetaskiwin mayor Bill Elliot.

“Mike has represented Wetaskiwin very well, listening to and sharing our concerns in Ottawa, making himself available to attend many local events, and hosting many roundtable discussions in Wetaskiwin and the constituency,” said Elliot in a statement.

“Mike is very accessible and he, and his capable office staff, are quick to respond to questions, concerns, and requests in a very personal and professional way. I am very supportive of Mike and I appreciate all that he has done to represent the City of Wetaskiwin in such a caring, positive, and supportive manner.”

For Lake, the biggest issue facing his riding is the economy.

“It’s not just of importance to the people in the riding, but our economy in this region is important to the country,” he said.

One of the biggest challenges, Lake has found, is getting the rest of the country to realize how important a cog this region is in the national economy. To that end, Lake has worked to build relationships with Eastern MPs and bring some of them to Alberta to see the economic engine at work.

That desire to build relationships and work in a team environment even crosses party lines. Through his work in raising awareness for autism, Lake has formed working relationships with other elected officials and staffers that will only benefit everyone.

“It’s easy to get so partisan in the world we live in, that it’s easy to just push every one away from the other side,” said Lake.

“But in the end, when you need to move something (through Parliament), if you don’t have allies across party lines, when you’re in opposition, that can be difficult ... but you can find a respectful balance, and a lot of people don’t seem to realize that.”

Looking ahead to 2019, if he’s successful in holding on to the riding’s nomination, Lake is hopeful Canada will see fit to elect a Conservative government.

“For me, as Member of Parliament, in 2019 I would want to be hosting more round tables to be as in tune as is possible with what my constituents want.

“I want to make sure all of my colleagues know the importance of what this region brings to the economy of the country.

“There’s not a Member of Parliament that works harder than I do. I love people and truly want to represent the people of my riding.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faced with nomination challenges, five-term Conservative MP Tilson ‘undecided’ if he will run in 2019

By Abbas Rana Feb. 5, 2018

If David Tilson decides not to run, he will be the third of seven Conservative MPs who were challenged for a nomination for the 2019 election cycle, and chose not to seek re-election.

Conservative MP David Tilson, left, may not run in 2019. Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant is facing off against veteran Conservative political operative Michael Coates. The nomination contest is scheduled for Feb.24-Feb. 25.

The Hill Times file photographs

Faced with two nomination challenges, Ontario Conservative MP David Tilson says he’s still undecided if he will seek re-election in 2019, but denies that the challenges are the reason why he may choose not to run next time.

“I haven’t made up my mind, I don’t know yet,” said Mr. Tilson (Dufferin-Caledon, Ont.) in an interview with The Hill Times. “If I run, there will be a nomination battle.”

The five-term MP, who was first elected in the 2004 federal election, and has been re-elected in every subsequent federal election since, is facing challenges from the Dufferin-Caledon Conservative Party riding association president Kevin Weatherbee, and Harzadan Khattra, chief executive officer of a local cab company in the riding. Mr. Weatherbee, who recently stepped down as the riding association president because of his candidacy, was not available for an interview, and Mr. Khattra declined an interview request.

Mr. Tilson, who will turn 77 in March, said he was not disappointed that his own riding association president challenged him for the nomination, adding, “Nothing is personal in politics.”

The riding of Dufferin-Caledon is a safe Conservative riding. In 2015, when the Conservatives were reduced from a strong majority government to the opposition status, Mr. Tilson still won the riding by a margin of about seven percentage points. In 2011, he won by 44.1 percentage points, and in 2008 by about 34 points.

Mr. Tilson said if he did decide to seek another term, he was “confident” he would win the nomination. Prior to the 2015 election, Mr. Tilson won a nomination fight by a margin of 11 votes. At the time, he faced off against Paul Hong, a lawyer and a former senior ministerial staffer in the Stephen Harper cabinet. Mr. Hong now is a member of the federal Dufferin-Caledon Conservative riding association board.

“If I’m going to run, I’m confident that I would win,” said Mr. Tilson. “I’m not over confident, but I’m confident. We’d have to work hard.”

Mr. Tilson said that in his conversations with Conservative Party officials, he was given the “impression” that if he chose to run again, he would be asked for input about the timing of the nomination contest. He declined to say when he would make a decision about running again, but Mr. Tilson pointed out that one key consideration in his decision would be if he had the energy to serve as an MP for another term.

“I was given the impression that if I decide that I’m going to run, that I will have a say as to when the date is going to be,” he said.

If Mr. Tilson decided not to seek re-election, he would be the third of seven Conservative MPs who have been challenged for a nomination and now have decided not to run. Conservative MPs Jim Eglinski (Yellowhead, Alta.) and Kellie Leitch (Simcoe-Grey, Ont.) have already announced that they won’t run in 2019, and therefore now won’t face nomination challenges. Ms. Leitch was challenged by a Collingwood, Ont. gynaecologist Gillian Yeates, and the mayor of the Township of Essa, Ont., Terry Dowdall.

Mr. Eglinski, a former RCMP officer who was first elected in a 2014 byelection, was challenged by three candidates, including Ryan Ouderkirk, parliamentary assistant to Conservative MP David Yurdiga (Fort McMurray-Cold Lake, Alta.); Robert Duiker, a school principal in the riding; and Carolyne Mackellar, who currently works as a waitress in a restaurant in the riding, and in the past worked for the Nova Scotia PC Party as a volunteer, and also as an emergency medical technician in Alberta.

The four other MPs facing nomination challenges include Brad Trost (Saskatoon-University, Sask.), Cheryl Gallant (Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, Ont.), Deepak Obhrai (Calgary Forest Lawn, Alta.), and Mike Lake (Edmonton-Wetaskwin, Alta.).

In November, the Conservative Party president sent out a letter to all party members announcing the opening of nominations in the 92 Conservative held ridings where a byelection has not been held since the 2015 general election. The deadline for challengers to file their application was Dec. 15, and the challengers were required to obtain 50 signatures from existing members of the electoral district association by that time. Before being officially approved as nomination candidates, those challengers are being interviewed by the local candidate nomination committees and either a representative of the executive party director or the executive director. The 85 other incumbent MPs who are not facing any challenges are being acclaimed, and are considered as declared candidates for the next election.

Some Conservatives told The Hill Times last month that there was ongoing speculation within the party that at least some of the challengers are running against incumbent MPs on the encouragement of the senior Conservatives, which the party strenuously denied. Mr. Tilson also denied he was being challenged on the encouragement of the party leadership, but he said he was not surprised about the perception that the party is trying to get rid of some incumbents, considering three of the seven MPs—Mr. Trost, Ms. Leitch and Mr. Obhrai—ran for leadership against party leader Andrew Scheer (Regina-Qu’Appelle, Sask.) in last year’s leadership election.

“I can see someone like you saying, ‘Isn’t that a coincidence?’ But I have no evidence of that,” said Mr. Tilson. He supported Conservative MP Michael Chong (Wellington-Halton Hills, Ont.) in the leadership race, and Mr. Eglinski first supported Mr. Scheer, but later switched his endorsement to Conservative MP Erin O’Toole (Durham, Ont.).

Should Mr. Tilson choose not to run, the nomination contest will become open. This means the nomination process will start again, and like in other unheld ridings, more candidates will be able to enter the race.

Meanwhile, Ms. Gallant, who was first elected in the 2000 election, will face off against former business executive Mike Coates in a nomination contest on Feb. 24-25. This is the first time the six-term MP is facing a nomination challenge. The deadline to sign up new memberships was Feb. 1.

Ms. Gallant did not respond to interview requests, but Mr. Coates, a former chairman and president of Hill+Knowlton who also chaired businessman Kevin O’Leary’s 2017 Conservative Party leadership campaign, told The Hill Times that he wanted to be the MP in that riding to create jobs, champion economic development, forestry, timber and agriculture sectors, by using his business contacts.

“I’m making this race about what I can bring to the riding,” said Mr. Coates.

“My background lends itself to do more here than in the city for example. It’s both the fact that I live here, but also this is where I can do the most good.”

Mr. Coates said that had spoken with Ms. Gallant since he challenged her, but declined to share any details of the conversation, except to say that she was “disappointed” about his challenge.

“I had a talk with her,” said Mr. Coates. “I would just say that she was disappointed.”

Mr. Coates denied in the interview that he ran for nomination on the encouragement of senior Conservatives. He said that the party was staying neutral and was not taking any sides in the nomination contest.

“No, the party has been very judiciously neutral in the race, and I believe they’re running a fair contest,” he said.

Mr. Coates, a former Hill staffer in the Brian Mulroney cabinet, has been an influential Conservative player since that time. Prior to the merger of the Progressive Conservative and Canadian Alliance parties, he served as the secretary and treasurer of the now-defunct Progressive Conservative Party. After the merger, Mr. Coates helped Mr. Harper prepare for the leaders’ debates in the federal election campaigns.

Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke is a safe Conservative riding. Ms. Gallant won by a margin of 13 percentage points in 2015, 34.7 points in 2011, and by 40 points in the 2008 election.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alliston councillor seeking Conservative party nomination for Simcoe-Grey

Marc Biss needs to obtain at least 25 signatures

News 10:30 AM by Brad Pritchard  Alliston Herald|

Marc Biss

New Tecumseth Coun. Marc Biss, - File photo

And then there were three.

New Tecumseth Coun. Marc Biss has entered the race to become the Conservative Party's candidate for Simcoe-Grey in the next federal election in 2019.

Biss, who has represented Ward 1 in Alliston since 2014, made the decision to put his name forward last week.

“All weekend I’ve been calling up people that I know closely, and I’ve got lots of great support,” he said.

Marc Biss - New Tecumseth Ward 1 candidate

The 49-year-old married father of two children, who has lived in Alliston for two decades, received his nomination forms last week and is now in the process of obtaining the minimum 25 signatures that are required from party members.

Current MP Kellie Leitch recently announced she is not seeking re-election.

Essa Mayor and Simcoe County Deputy Warden Terry Dowdall and Dr. Gillian Yeates, an OB-GYN from Collingwood, are also seeking the nomination.

The deadline for candidates to submit their paperwork is Feb. 15.

Biss has worked in the electronics and technology industry since retiring from the navy in 1995.

He currently works for NXP Semiconductors and specializes in design for vehicle safety in autonomous vehicles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative campaigns tight-lipped on membership sales as cutoff looms

The Saskatoon University nomination race is widely-regarded as a referendum on incumbent MP Brad Trost.

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published on: February 7, 2018 | Last Updated: February 7, 2018 7:00 PM CST

With the deadline to sign up supporters looming, none of the candidates in a hotly contested nomination race on Saskatoon’s east side are saying much about their chances when the votes are counted next month.

The Conservative Party of Canada race in the Saskatoon University riding is regarded as a referendum on incumbent Brad Trost, but neither he nor challengers Brad Redekopp and Corey Tochor agreed to reveal their membership sales figures.

All three candidates expressed confidence in their work on what turned out to be a short campaign. The race officially kicked off Jan. 18 and the deadline to sign up new members is 4 p.m. Thursday.

Conservative MP Brad Trost Greg Pender / Saskatoon StarPhoenix

“Campaigns are really reluctant to give away numbers for tactical reasons (but) we sold fairly well,” said Trost, who has held the seat since 2004, before speculating that the March 10 nomination meeting could attract 2,000 voters.

Tochor, who is the Saskatchewan Party MLA for Saskatoon Eastview and resigned as speaker of the legislature to enter the nomination race, said his membership sales have been “really encouraging” during the unexpectedly short race.

Sask. Party MLA Corey Tochor resigned as speaker of the legislature to seek the Conservative nomination in Saskatoon University. Michelle Berg / Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Redekopp, a business owner and political operative, said he expects the race — which will be decided using a preferential ballot — is unlikely to be decided in the first round of counting.

Under the party’s nomination rules, if no candidate receives half of the vote on the first ballot, the lowest-scoring candidate is dropped and their supporters’ second choices distributed to the remaining candidates until one accumulates the necessary 50 per cent.

Both Redekopp and Tochor are basing their campaigns, in part, on the assumption that Saskatoon University voters want a new MP after the 2019 general election. Tochor described Trost as a “polarizing” one-issue candidate.

Saskatoon businessman Brad Redekopp is one of three candidates seeking the Conservative nomination in Saskatoon University. Brad Redekopp / Saskatoon

Trost — who placed fourth in the Conservative leadership race last year and, according to Redekopp, “clearly” has a lot of support in the riding — has a different assessment of his outspoken views on social conservative issues, including abortion.

“I know I’m a controversial MP in Toronto and in Ontario, but in Saskatchewan people have got to remember I’m mainstream. I beat Jim Pankiw years ago, and so I was considered the moderate candidate … For a Saskatchewan Conservative, I’m right in the middle.”

Tochor said his campaigning led him to conclude people in the riding want a “fresh start” and are uneasy about their membership dollars funding an ongoing legal battle between Trost and the party over a leaked membership list.

Despite not having the same experience in politics as Trost and Tochor, Redekopp emphasized his credentials in business and charity work. He said electing someone without a political history could be good for the constituency.

Trost acknowledged he won’t get some of the “ideological” votes cast next month, but said people “are more likely to come out for something” — meaning the incumbent — “than against something

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friesen to seek Conservative nomination in Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge

Has support of former MP Kamp
Neil Corbett/
Feb. 12, 2018 6:00 a.m./

After having worked for Conservative MPs and on election campaigns, a Pitt Meadows man has announced he would like to run for the party.

Davis Friesen, 30, will seek the Conservative nomination for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge.

Friesen is the current constituency assistant to Chilliwack-Hope Member of Parliament Mark Strahl, and served as an assistant to Randy Kamp, the MP representing Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge (2004-2015) from 2012 until the 2015 federal election.

During the 2015 federal election, Friesen worked as the campaign manager for Conservative candidate Mike Murray. Following the 2015 election, Friesen completed a bachelor degree in political studies from Trinity Western University, while also working on the Pitt Meadows–Maple Ridge Conservative Association as vice-president and as president.

Friesen said he expects other strong candidates to put their names forward for the nomination, but he wanted to get an early start. The next election is not scheduled until October 2019.

“We need to do a lot of rebuilding in the area, and it’s never too early to start,” he said. “I want to connect with people, and build the brand.”

While issues change quickly in politics, he spoke to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s style in forcing his “values test,” which has Right to Life advocates critical of his Summer Jobs Program attestation.

He also sees the July 1 deadline for marijuana legalization as arbitrary, and says the government should wait until all the appropriate systems are in place.

Friesen is not sure those will still be hot issues in the next federal election campaign, but he said homelessness will be.

“That’s an area that I think there hasn’t been a lot of leadership shown federally,” he said.

Murray announced he will not run again, and endorsed Friesen.

“I know Davis Friesen will be a bright light as our Conservative candidate and next MP for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge,” said Murray. “For five years, I worked closely with him in MP Randy Kamp’s office and as my campaign manager in 2015. He truly possesses the passion and the intelligence for the job. We need a guy like Davis to lead the charge for us here in Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge.”

Kamp is also endorsing Friesen.

“I got to know and appreciate Davis Friesen when he served as an assistant of mine when I was the member of parliament for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission,” said Kamp. “As an intelligent, diligent, and congenial young man, he quickly became an indispensable part of my team. But what is most impressive about Davis, in my opinion, is his integrity, humility, and servant’s heart. Canada needs leaders like Davis in the Parliament of Canada, so I’m pleased to enthusiastically endorse him as the next Conservative candidate for Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge.”

Friesen and his wife Julia were both raised in Pitt Meadows, where they are also raising their young and growing family.

• Information about Davis Friesen’s nomination bid is available on his website at www.davisfriesen.com and his Facebook Page, facebook.com/daviswfriesen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( kicked out of the provincial caucus , Steven Fletcher is attempting a return federally )

Steven Fletcher

1 hr ·

I am seeking the nomination for the Conservative Party of Canada in the Federal riding of Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley.

After several years as President of the Electoral District Association, I will be taking a leave of absence until the nomination process is complete.

I look forward to continuing my role as MLA for Assiniboia in the upcoming legislative session, I have many events, activities and active legislative agenda to bring forward and complete. These include a dozen pieces of legislation, working with the community on parks and recreation space, community forms, barbecues, presentations to community groups, school visits, etc. Any questions, please contact me through Facebook or my office. I appreciate everyone’s support, I really do.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manitoba Independent MLA Steven Fletcher wants to be Conservative MP again

By Canadian Press. Published on Feb 19, 2018 9:12pm

WINNIPEG — A former federal Conservative MP who now sits as an Independent member of the Manitoba legislature says he’s making another run for federal politics.

Steven Fletcher announced Monday on Facebook that he will seek the Conservative nomination in the federal consistency of Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley.

Fletcher previously held the federal seat from 2004 until he was defeated in 2015, and served in the cabinet of former prime minister Stephen Harper.

He then won a provincial seat as a member of the Progressive Conservatives when the party won power in 2016.

But he was removed from caucus and was forced to sit as an Independent after he criticized the government over its decision to set up an entity separate from Manitoba Hydro to promote energy efficiency.

Fletcher says in his Facebook post that he will continue his role as an MLA for Assiniboia in the upcoming legislature session.

“I have many events, activities and active legislative agenda to bring forward and complete. These include a dozen pieces of legislation, working with the community on parks and recreation space, community forms, barbecues, presentations to community groups, school visits, etc.,” Fletcher wrote.

“I appreciate everyone’s support, I really do.”

Fletcher is a quadriplegic and became well-known during his time as a federal politician for his battle for the right to assisted suicide.

After he was ejected from Manitoba’s government caucus, Fletcher filed a lawsuit over a provincial law that forbids legislature members from crossing the floor and joining another caucus.

Under the law introduced by the former NDP government in 2006, Fletcher was required to sit as an Independent until the next election. That, or he could resign his seat and run in a byelection under another party banner.

Fletcher’s lawyer told court in December the restriction violates Fletcher’s freedom of expression and association under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Sheldon Lanchbery reserved his decision until March.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Shudra Announces Candidacy for Conservative Party of Canada Nomination
Carolyn Grant/
Feb. 19, 2018 12:32 p.m./
Local News/

It may be somewhat difficult to fathom but the federal election is looming next year, and riding associations are beginning to think about putting forward candidates.

In the Kootenay Columbia riding, those hoping to represent the Conservative party are beginning to hit the road to introduce themselves to voters.

The first hopeful through Kimberley this week was Dale Shudra, of Radium, who has announced his candidacy for the Conservative nomination in this riding.

Shudra has been on the road this week and last, visiting Revelstoke and Golden last Thursday, Cranbrook and Fernie last Friday and then Kimberley and Creston on Monday. Then it was over to Nelson.

At this stage in the process, he is mainly just introducing himself to potential voters, signing them up to the party if they are not members, and asking for their vote when the time comes.

Shudra hopes that will be later this spring.

“Our riding association wants to get the candidate quickly,” he said, but added that the ultimate decision of when the nominating vote will take place is up to party headquarters in Ottawa.

It involves a 45 day window, he says, with the first three weeks spent vetting candidates and then the last 21 days spent campaigning, and in a riding this size, a travelling ballot box.

There are others who have indicated interest, Shudra says.

“I’ve heard there are one or two in Nelson and one in Cranbrook,” he said. “My plan is to get my name known in the communities as much as I can.”

He expects the Party will announce the window opened sometime in the next couple of months and he plans to be ready.

Shudra has been politically active most of his life, saying he was inspired by seeing Robert Kennedy speak in Calgary in the 60s. He did enter the nominating contest in 2011 (when David Wilks won the nod) but had to withdraw because of a death in the family.

“I did not plan to run again but feel compelled and excited to enter the contest this time around,” he said. “These are difficult times and good, competent people need to step up and lead. While being an effective Member of Parliament has its challenges, it presents unique opportunities to significantly benefit our communities and country”.

Dale and his wife reside in Radium. His education includes graduating with law (LLB) and business (MBA) degrees. Dale has extensive business/entrepreneurial and legal experience in diverse areas including natural resources, real estate, finance and manufacturing. He believes that his background, knowledge, analytical skills and strong work ethic will translate into a much-needed political presence for Kootenay Columbia.

Shudra says and believes “that despite social issues getting most of the press, citizens want governments that are fiscally responsible while pursuing social agendas”. He fears where we are heading economically. “Missteps have led us down a troubling path and we need to regain our status as a preferred country to do business with and invest in. Some of the current governments are spending more effort apologizing for our resource industries rather than promoting and supporting their responsible development. We will continue to pay an economic price if this is not corrected.”

Shudra also has experience in provincial politics having been president of the BC Liberal riding association in Columbia River Revelstoke and working on Doug Clovechok’s successful campaign.

He believes the Conservatives can win back Kootenay Columbia, which has a long history of electing Conservative candidates.

“I plan to be that capable Conservative candidate,” he said, “who gets elected and makes a needed difference”.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant fends off nomination challenge

The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, February 25, 2018 6:18PM EST

OTTAWA -- Conservative MP Cheryl Gallant has survived a nomination challenge in her Ottawa-area riding.

Gallant was one of several incumbent Tories who are facing a fight for the right to carry the party's banner in the 2019 election.

Her challenger, Mike Coates, most recently ran celebrity businessman Kevin O'Leary's failed campaign for leadership of the party.

The party did not release the results of the vote.

Gallant is one of the longest serving Conservative MPs who was first elected in the Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke riding in 2000.

Other MPs facing nomination challenges include failed leadership candidates Brad Trost and Deepak Obhrai.

Another candidate, Kellie Leitch, was also being challenged, but then announced she would not run in the next election.

Elections for those nominations are expected in the coming weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood man to seek Simcoe-Grey Conservative nomination

News Feb 21, 2018 by John Edwards  Collingwood Connection|

Tim Bulmer

Tim Bulmer. - Tim Bulmer/Submitted

A Collingwood man is throwing his hat in the ring in an effort to be the Conservative nominee for Simcoe-Grey.

Tim Bulmer has filed his nomination papers to seek the post for the 2019 election. Current MP Kellie Leitch has announced she won’t be seeking re-election.

Bulmer, who currently works in the insurance industry, has been a member of the Conservative party since it was formed and served as secretary of the local riding association.

Bulmer has a political science background and said he knows what the riding wants and needs.

“People want small government and (an) environment that will allow small business to thrive,” he said.

Essa Mayor Terry Dowdall and Collingwood OB/GYN Dr. Gillian Yeates have been approved as candidates, while New Tecumseth Coun. Marc Biss has expressed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regina MLA to seek federal Conservative nomination

Regina Walsh Acres MLA Warren Steinley is seeking the nomination to run as a Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) candidate in the next federal election.

D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post
More from D.C. Fraser, Regina Leader-Post

Published on: March 1, 2018 | Last Updated: March 1, 2018 4:55 PM CST

Regina Walsh Acres MLA Warren Steinley is seeking the nomination to run as a Conservative Party of Canada (CPC) candidate in the next federal election.

The MLA, first elected to the Saskatchewan legislature in 2011, intends to run for the Regina-Lewvan riding currently held by the NDP’s Erin Weir.

He will remain as a Saskatchewan Party MLA while he seeks the nomination.

Although official nominations for the job are not yet open, Steinley confirmed Thursday to the Leader-Post his intentions to run — and that he has a team in place.

Wanting to defend Saskatchewan against a federally imposed carbon tax, as well as ensuring pipelines get built and the incumbent Weir doesn’t get re-elected were all reasons provided by Steinley as reasons why he wants to seek the nomination.

Steinley said Saskatchewan “needs a voice to represent (Regina-Lewvan constituents) in Ottawa” and that Weir has not been able to do that, in part because he campaigned for NDP members in B.C. who are anti-pipeline.

The Regina MLA pointed to his status as an incumbent elected official in the area as one reason why he is confident he would be successful over Weir in a federal campaign.

In the 2015 federal election, the Regina-Lewvan seat was hotly contested. The CPC candidate at the time, Trent Fraser, was granted a judicial recount of the election results after Weir was declared the winner by 143 votes.

The resulting recount confirmed Weir’s victory.

It is unclear if Fraser will be running against Steinley for the nomination, but the MLA said he would “welcome other candidates to come forward, I respect grassroots democracy.”

“I look forward to trying to earn that support from each and every member, and whoever they pick, we’ll all get behind,” he said.

Steinley is the second urban Sask. Party MLA in recent months to seek a job in Parliament. Former Speaker Corey Tochor resigned from that position to seek the CPC nomination in the Saskatoon-University constituency, although he too remains an MLA in the Saskatoon Eastview riding.

If Steinley is not successful in winning the nomination, he said he would look to remain a Sask. Party MLA in the next provincial election.

“I have all the confidence in Premier Moe and our Saskatchewan Party government. We’ve shown we’re going to stand hard against the carbon tax, we’re working hard to ensure pipelines are getting built,” he said

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates set for Conservative nomination forum, vote

Sarah O. Swenson/Wetaskiwin Times

Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:47:04 MST PM

After a long wait for the candidates and constituents, the Conservative Party of Canada has released the official nomination notice for the electoral district of Edmonton-Wetaskiwin.

Incumbent Edmonton-Wetaskiwin MP Mike Lake is one of three Conservative Members of Parliament from Alberta being challenged for their constituency nomination ahead of the anticipated 2019 federal election.

Long-time Beaumont resident Gordon Francis is challenging the four-term incumbent.

Those whishing to challenge sitting MPs for their riding’s nomination were only required to get 50 signatures in support by the Dec. 15, 2017 deadline.

Now, after a few months of campaigning, the candidates will have a chance to speak at a nomination forum, being held Thursday, March 8 at 7:30 p.m. at the Nisku Inn and Conference Centre (1101-4th Street) in Nisku.

For constituent members of the CPC, voting will take place Friday, March 16. Voters in and near Wetaskiwin can register and vote at the Wetaskiwin Senior’s Centre (5216-54 Street) between 6-9 p.m. Voting will also be open at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 263 (106-2 Ave.) in Winfield, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or the Nisku Recreation Centre (606-18 Ave.) in Nisku on Saturday, March 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

To vote, CPC members must provide either one original piece of identification issued by a Canadian federal, provincial, or territorial government agency containing the member’s name, photograph, and address or two original pieces of identification, which contain the member’s name, one of which contains the member’s name and one of which contains the member’s address.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: