Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Enviroment Canada praises Syria for joining paris accord Reply with quote

( I personally don't even believe the tweet was an accident , the liberals in Ottawa view climate change as such a serious issue that even a country like Syria signing the paris accord was viewed as good news , not that Syria is actually going to do anything about the environment , it has no money and was virtually ruined after years of civil war )

Tories want to know who was involved in Syria-praising tweet

Amanda Connolly

Thursday, November 9th, 2017

The Conservatives want to find out the titles of everyone involved in approving a tweet sent from the departmental account of the environment minister on Tuesday that praised Syria for joining the Paris climate accord.

While the Twitter account that sent the tweet is run by the department and not Environment Minister Catherine McKenna – who has a separate personal account – the minister condemned the tweet as “completely unacceptable” and said Wednesday it had been deleted.

But in an order paper question submitted Wednesday, Conservative deputy leader Lisa Raitt asked for more information about exactly who was behind sending it out.

“With regard to the tweet by the Minister of Environment and Climate Change on November 7, 2017, which stated that ‘Canada salutes Nicaragua and Syria for joining on to the Paris Agreement!’: what are the titles of all individuals who approved the tweet?” the question reads.

It is not clear exactly what Raitt and the Conservatives plan to do with the information if the government provides a response to the question, or whether the names of the individuals who hold the relevant titles could also be released.

The move by Nicaragua and Syria to sign on to the agreement makes the U.S. the only member of the United Nations that has not yet done so.

However, Syrian President Basher al-Assad has been widely condemned for the use of chemical weapons against opponents in that country’s ongoing civil war and the idea that an account affiliated with an official of the Government of Canada would praise the country for anything quickly sparked harsh criticism.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer said the move reflects poorly on Environment and Climate Change Canada.

“I can understand how that kind of thing can happen,” he said. “It’s unfortunate. I don’t think it reflects well on the department. Certainly not something I think Canadians want to see, government officials congratulating countries led by dictators.”

McKenna said she plans to meet with Syrian officials at the Bonn climate conference next week.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/11/09.....want-know/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKenna blames officials for 'Canada salutes Syria' tweet

Janice Dickson

Janice Dickson

Wednesday, November 8th, 2017

Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says her department erred in posting a tweet congratulating Syria for joining the Paris agreement Tuesday night.

“Canada salutes Nicaragua and Syria for joining on to the Paris Agreement! Global #ClimateAction. #COP23” reads the tweet from McKenna’s ministerial account, which included photos of the flags of Nicaragua and Syria. McKenna’s ministerial account @ec_minister says it’s run by Environment and Climate Change Canada, Parks Canada and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency.

The tweet was deleted shortly after it was met by criticism from the Twitter community. Responding from her personal Twitter account, McKenna called the original tweet a mistake.

Conservative deputy leader Lisa Raitt tweeted that McKenna’s praise was “misplaced.”

Notable reactions to the tweet also came from Jason Kenney, leader of the Alberta
United Conservative Party, and ex-diplomat Norman Spector.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/11/08.....ent-tweet/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine McKenna takes responsibility for tweet praising Syria

Tweet from Catherine McKenna's departmental account praised Syria for joining Paris climate accord

CBC News Posted: Nov 08, 2017 6:21 AM ET| Last Updated: Nov 08, 2017 1:43 PM ET

Environment and Climate Change Minister Catherine McKenna apologized for a tweet praising Syria, saying, 'Clearly a mistake was made.'

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna says a tweet from her official departmental account praising Syria for joining the Paris climate agreement was "completely unacceptable" and she takes responsibility.

"Canada Salutes Nicaragua and Syria for joining on to the Paris Agreement! Global #ClimateAction. #COP23," the tweet, since deleted, said.

Nicaragua and Syria were the final two countries to sign on to the climate accord, leaving the U.S. as the only United Nations-member state not supporting the agreement.

The tweet attracted dozens of complaints from Twitter users, many of them pointing to the widely suspected use of chemical weapons by the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
■Chemical weapons watchdog confirms sarin used in April attack on Syrian town

The celebratory Nicaragua and Syria tweet was sent from @ec_minister. Its description says it is run by Environment and Climate Change Canada, Parks Canada and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency.

McKenna has a separate personal account.

"The tweet was completely unacceptable. It was from my departmental Twitter account. We took action right away as soon as we saw it. Look, I'm a human rights lawyer I know more than anyone that the murderous Assad regime and the actions that they're committing, the atrocities against their own people, are completely unacceptable," she said.

"I'm the minister, I take responsibility.

"I can assure everyone I will not be meeting with Syria at the Bonn climate talks that I'm going to next week."

'Your public praise is misplaced'

McKenna's critics included Conservative deputy leader Lisa Raitt.

"Hey @ec_minister - this ... is actually what your gov't should be saying about Syria," a tweet from Raitt's account said, linking to a U.S. State Department tweet about chemical weapons use in Syria.

Jason Kenney, leader of Alberta's United Conservative Party, also weighed in, calling the 195-nation pact "empty virtue signalling."

On Wednesday, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer called the Syria tweet "unfortunate."

"I can understand how that kind of thing can happen. It's unfortunate. I don't think it reflects well on the department. Certainly not something I think Canadians want to see, government officials congratulating countries led by dictators."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....-1.4392374

Jump to: