Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( just saw this on twitter , first time I've seen any evidence of federal support , Edmonton cpc mp Kerry Diotte was in the Soo and says the cpc caucus is supportive of the Ontario pc candidate )

KerryDiotte‏Verified account @KerryDiotte · 22m22 minutes ago

With @OntarioPCParty @RossRomanoSSM at his #Soo HQ. Our fed #cpc caucus is rooting for your team #onpoli #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Debbie Amaroso was a single term Mayor;
She lost in 2006, won in 2010, then lost again in 2014.

Its still an impressive get for the OLP considering their current polling numbers, but with that said she was likely not on the top three list for potential candidates.

I really don't know a lot about the liberal candidate , there also hasn't been any public polling released as to the state of the race there .

the expectations for the liberals have been so low , everyone seemed to think they were heading for a loss there although they did very well between 2003 and 2014 so maybe those expectations are a bit off .

I personally think she is really just a one time candidate if she loses the by election , she'll go back into retirement as she didn't seem that interested in running , she'll only run in 2018 if she wins the by election
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a sure sign that the by election might actually be called soon , now that liberals have a candidate )

Amaroso prepares for Grit nomination

Monday, April 24, 2017 8:33:35 EDT PM

Mayor Debbie Amaroso meets with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Sault Ste. Marie MPP David Oraziettti in 2013. (Sault Star File Photo)

Debbie Amaroso will be formally nominated this weekend as the Liberal candidate for an upcoming provincial byelection in Sault Ste. Marie.

Liberal incumbent David Orazietti stepped down in December to spend more time with his family.

Amaroso, the Sault's first female mayor, will be formally nominated Saturday at 2 p.m. at The Water Tower Inn, a release says.

“I'm ready to go down to Toronto and fight for the Sault and for you – to create jobs, support our schools, college and university and ensure reliable public services like health care,” said Amaroso in a statement.

Her campaign will be “focused on my vision for our city.”

“I'll tell it straight and honestly,” said Amaroso. “I'll stay focused on sharing my vision for the Sault, as I always have.”

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne calls Amaroso “an experienced community builder and proven advocate.”

“She's the best prepared candidate to hit the ground running and make sure Sault Ste. Marie's voice in government makes a real difference in her hometown,” said Wynne.

Amaroso will vie for votes against two city councillors – Progressive Conservative Ross Romano and New Democrat Joe Krmpotich. The byelection date is still to be announced.

http://www.saultstar.com/2017/.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaroso gets Liberal nomination, says Sault needs to have a voice at the table

Sault's first female mayor said she will campaign on experience as elected leader, ability to work with all political stripes
27 shares
a day ago by: Darren Taylor

170429-AMAROSOANDSHEEHAN-DT

Terry Sheehan, Sault Ste. Marie MP, with Debbie Amaroso, after she was officially nominated to be the Liberal candidate for the yet-to-be-called provincial byelection for the Sault riding, Apr. 29, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Debbie Amaroso, former Sault Ste. Marie mayor and city councillor, formally accepted the Sault Ste. Marie Provincial Liberal Association’s nomination Saturday to run as the party’s candidate for the Sault riding in a yet-to-be-called byelection.

Amaroso will be running for an unpopular Liberal government helmed by Premier Kathleen Wynne, but emphasized she will be running to represent the Sault as an experienced political leader in what will still be a Liberal majority government for another year .

“Certainly, I think experience helps, absolutely, and we can’t deny the fact that I have worked hard for this community and have delivered successful results before and I’m certainly hoping to be able to have the opportunity to do that again,” Amaroso told reporters after the nomination meeting at the Water Tower Inn.

“I really sincerely believe that this is an opportunity for Sault Ste. Marie,” Amaroso said of her candidacy.

“We are a year away from an election, the Liberals maintain their majority government…and so I think we need to be at the table, we need to be able to capitalize on this next year, to bring back some opportunities,” Amaroso said.

“The Port of Algoma is something that’s critically important to move forward in this community and I want to be able to see if we can do more with that in the next year. I think that there has been some movement with OLG and I think there’s more that can be done in this next year.”

“Those are the things I worked on when I was mayor and I think that in this next year we have the opportunity to push forward (with those projects),” Amaroso said.

“I think it needs to be made clear that this byelection will not change the government of the day. It will continue to be a Liberal majority government and so we in Sault Ste. Marie need to be able to capitalize on that opportunity.”

“Do we want to be at the table, or do we not want to be at the table? I believe we have greater experience being at the table.”

Amaroso said she is pleased with the Liberal government’s budget, introduced in the Legislature Thursday, especially in regard to items concerning health care.

The government announced it would launch a pharmacare program for anyone under 25, regardless of income, and a three per cent funding increase for hospitals (an additional $7 billion in health care spending over the next three years).

The Progressive Conservatives and NDP have each emphasized hydro costs as a defining issue provincially and in the Sault riding.

Amaroso, however, indicated she does not want the byelection campaign to be hemmed in by one issue.

“I know hydro is a major, burning issue and I know that’s an issue that’s upset a lot of people, but I think the announcements that have come (from Premier Kathleen Wynne) with 25 per cent decreases coming up on the urban bills and up to 42 per cent on the rural bills will start remediating that type of disparity, it’s important that has happened, but that’s something the other parties are taking task with.”

“I’m focusing on Sault Ste. Marie (on a number of different issues), I think that’s where our focus needs to be for the next year.”

“We are just a little over a year away from a provincial election and we need to make the most of this upcoming year. We need to focus on key community issues and creating sustainable positive change here in Sault Ste. Marie,” Amaroso said in a speech to party members gathered at Saturday’s nomination meeting.

“That means we need an MPP down at Queen’s Park fighting for us, an MPP with the experience of fighting for our community,” Amaroso said, pointing to her good working relationships with city hall, federal MP Terry Sheehan (who formally nominated Amaroso at Saturday’s meeting) and the current cabinet.

“As your Mayor, I showed you how to get things done collaboratively…I did that by working together with my colleagues regardless of their political stripe. You saw me working with both our former Conservative MP and our former Liberal MPP. The results were securing OLG for our community and investments in the Port of Algoma, thus bringing the potential of real economic growth,” Amaroso said.

Speaking to reporters, Amaroso repeated she will be basing her campaign on her experience, as a former mayor and city councillor, to work with people from all ends of the political spectrum.

“I have always prided myself on really looking at results and not politics, I have prided myself on my ability to bring people together, no matter what their political stripe…that’s one of my strong points. It’s up to the community now to allow me to have that opportunity to fight for Sault Ste. Marie once again.”

She also spoke of her efforts, as mayor, to keep taxes low and deliver improvements to local roads, bridges and public transit.

The byelection for Sault Ste. Marie, which must be called by June 30, 2017, will elect a representative to succeed former Liberal MPP David Orazietti, whose time as Sault MPP expired Dec. 31, 2016 after he announced his intention to leave provincial politics.

Ross Romano will be running as the Sault’s Progressive Conservative party candidate, while Joe Krmpotich will be flying the NDP’s colours.

Amaroso’s campaign office will be opening at 109 Queen Street East (“within the next week or so,” she said).

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/amaroso-gets-liberal-nomination-says-sault-needs-to-have-a-voice-at-the-table-601726
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Statement from Ross Romano on the Nomination of Debbie Amaroso

By Media Release -
April 30, 2017

Ross Romano
I’d like to officially congratulate Debbie Amaroso on becoming the Ontario Liberal candidate in the upcoming Sault Ste Marie by-election. Debbie has long record of public service in the Sault and I welcome her to the race.

I hope that with the Liberal nomination finally behind us, that Kathleen Wynne will listen to the people of Sault Ste. Marie, who have been without a representative fighting on their behalf for over 119 days. The consequences of this neglect were very apparent in the budget that Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberals tabled earlier this week.

The people of Sault Ste Marie are very eager to have a representative to be their voice at Queen Park’s. It’s time for the Premier to call the by-election.

https://saultonline.com/2017/04/a-statement-from-ross-romano-on-the-nomination-of-debbie-amaroso/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( feels like we have been talking about this one for months , has actually been called for june 1 st )

Sault Ste. Marie byelection called for June 1

queen's park

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:42PM EDT

TORONTO -- A provincial byelection will be held in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., on June 1.

The seat was left empty when former Liberal cabinet minister David Orazietti stepped down Dec. 31.

The Ontario Liberals nominated their candidate, former Sault Ste. Marie mayor Debbie Amaroso, last week. The other major parties have had a lengthy head start on the campaign, with their candidates in place for months.

The Progressive Conservative candidate is city councillor Ross Romano.

Joe Krmpotich, who is also a city councillor, is running for the NDP.

The riding has voted Liberal provincially since 2003, but has voted in federal politicians of all stripes in recent years.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/saul.....-1.3396467
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown and Ross Romano on the Sault Ste. Marie by-election

Posted on May 03, 2017

“Today the writ was issued for the provincial by-election in Sault Ste. Marie after the Wynne Liberals left Sault Ste. Marie residents without representation at Queen’s Park for months.

“After 14 years in power, life is harder with the Liberals. Sault Ste. Marie families are working hard, paying more, and getting less.

“Our candidate Ross Romano is a lifelong resident of Sault Ste. Marie and has served his community for years as a City Councillor. I am confident Ross will ensure Sault Ste. Marie has a strong voice at Queen’s Park and deliver results.

“Only the Ontario PC Party represents change for the better. We want Sault Ste. Marie families to pay less and get ahead.”

The following is a statement from Ontario PC candidate Ross Romano on the Sault Ste. Marie by-election:

“I am proud to represent the Ontario PC Party in the upcoming Sault Ste. Marie by-election.

“After 14 years this Liberal government has only made life more unaffordable. Ontario is an uncompetitive place to do business, and families feel like they are falling behind. This government’s legacy is one of unaffordable hydro rates, fired nurses and slashed health care services, and billions of dollars wasted on Liberal scandals.

“For too long the Wynne Liberals have taken Sault Ste. Marie for granted. This is an opportunity for residents to send a message to the government that they deserve better.

“While we have already been hard at work knocking on doors, I look forward to continue fighting for the families and businesses of Sault Ste. Marie.”

Share this with your friends and family!

https://www.ontariopc.ca/statement_from_ontario_pc_leader_patrick_brown_on_the_sault_ste_marie_by_election
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provincial byelection date officially set (updated)

The byelection will fill a vacancy created by the departure of MPP David Orazietti
8 shares
about 3 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

NEWS RELEASES

PROVINCE OF ONTARIO

ELECTIONS ONTARIO

Provincial Byelection called in Sault Ste. Marie

A writ was issued today under Section 9.1 of the Election Act for a byelection in the electoral district of Sault Ste. Marie.

The byelection will fill a vacancy created in the provincial parliament.

Under the Election Act, elections must be called on a Wednesday and held the fifth Thursday after the date of the issue of the writ.

Voting day will be June 1, 2017.

Sault Ste. Marie Provincial byelection called for June 1, 2017

Advertisement

For accessibility assistance with this document please telephone Elections Ontario at 1-888-668-8683 or Fax at 1-866-714-2809. You can TTY at 1-888-292-2312 or via email at info@elections.on.ca.

TORONTO - Ontario’s Chief Electoral Officer Greg Essensa confirms that the Writ was issued to administer a provincial byelection in the electoral district of Sault Ste. Marie on June 1, 2017.

The returning office in Sault Ste. Marie will be open to the public as of May 4, 2017. The address and telephone number for the returning office is listed below:

Sault Ste. Marie:
601 Queen Street East Sault Ste. Marie, ON
P6A 2A6
Telephone: 1-866-291-7967

Canadian citizens who reside in the electoral district of Sault Ste. Marie, and are at least 18 years of age or older on election day, are eligible to vote. To be added to the Voters List, eligible voters must show one piece of identification that includes both their name and residential address. A detailed list of acceptable identification documents is available at elections.on.ca.

Fast facts

A blackout on political advertising begins May 3, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on May 9, 2017. A second blackout on political advertising begins at midnight on May 30, 2017 (Eastern Time) and ends at 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.

The candidate nomination period begins May 11, 2017 and ends at 2 p.m. (Eastern Time) on May 18, 2017.

Eligible voters can vote by special ballot in person at the Sault Ste. Marie returning office or by mail. Electors must apply for their special ballot voting kit no later than 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) on May 26, 2017. Applications are available at elections.on.ca and at the returning office.

Advance polls begin May 20, 2017 and are available through May 26, 2017. Advance polls will be open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Election day is June 1, 2017. Polls will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Eastern Time).

The publication of election surveys that have not previously been made public is prohibited between midnight (Eastern Time) on May 31, 2017 and 9 p.m. (Eastern Time) on June 1, 2017.

For more information, visit elections.on.ca or call 1-888-668-8683 (TTY: 1-888-292- 2312).

Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, byelections and referenda.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/provincial-byelection-date-officially-set-604990
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I personally think the candidacy of Debbie Amaroso is a " hail mary " pass by wynne and liberals desperate to not lose another riding . there hoping people overlook the unpopular things done by this government by running someone personally popular in the city although last time she was on a city wide ballot , she lost the election . so I'm not convinced its a sure thing )

'We are best served with an MPP who is part of the governing party,' says Amaroso

The Ontario Liberal candidate is 'ready to fight for Sault Ste. Marie to deliver positive change' in upcoming byelection
6 shares
about 3 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

Ontario Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso is pictured with Liberal MP Terry Sheehan in this file photo. Darren Taylor/SooToday

NEWS RELEASE

DEBBIE AMAROSO
ONTARIO LIBERAL CANDIDATE

Statement from Ontario Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso on the by-election call

Former mayor challenges rivals to focus on local issues in ten debates

Advertisement

SAULT STE. MARIE - Debbie Amaroso, the Ontario Liberal candidate, released the following statement today on the occasion of a by-election being called for June 1 in Sault Ste. Marie:

“I’m ready to fight for Sault Ste. Marie to deliver positive change. This by-election will not change the reality that we have a majority Liberal government for at least the next year, so I believe we are best served with an MPP who is part of the governing party.

“What this by-election does represent is an important opportunity to talk about an exciting vision for our city, to create jobs, protect our public services and improve our quality of life. We need an MPP down at Queen’s Park with a record of experience fighting for the Soo and a proven track record of delivering results. That is exactly what my record shows.

“I am challenging my two rivals to meet me for ten community debates where we can talk about the critical issues facing Sault Ste. Marie. Let’s go beyond talking points and actually share with the voters how we will make a real difference here in Sault Ste. Marie. I hope they will both agree to these ten debates – I believe we owe it to voters to share our ideas, defend our experience and be accessible to public scrutiny.

“Either way, I wish both Joe and Ross good luck and look forward to the campaign. I’m proud of my work on behalf of our City as mayor, as a councillor and as a volunteer. More importantly — I’m eager to continue my fight for the Soo and for you as our MPP, and I look forward to speaking with you throughout the next month as I work to earn your support.”

Debbie Amaroso was the first female mayor of Sault Ste. Marie. She is a former city councillor, and is a local small business owner, community volunteer, mother and grandma.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/we-are-best-served-with-an-mpp-who-is-part-of-the-governing-party-says-amaroso-604997
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( its bad when the Toronto star admits , the pc candidate is the front runner in a liberal held riding )

Sault Ste. Marie byelection set for June 1

Local councillor Ross Romano is the Progressive Conservative candidate and the apparent front-runner.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne called a byelection in Sault Ste. Marie to elect a successor to former minister David Orazietti.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Wed., May 3, 2017

Voters in Sault Ste. Marie are heading to the polls for a June 1 byelection.

Premier Kathleen Wynne called the contest Wednesday to elect a successor to former minister David Orazietti who resigned over Christmas.

While Orazietti — who did stints as minister of corrections, natural resources minister, and government and consumer services — had held the seat since 2003, the Liberals face a stiff challenge there.

Local councillor Ross Romano is the Progressive Conservative candidate and the apparent front-runner.

Tory Leader Patrick Brown has spent a lot of time in “the Soo” with hopes of winning away a northern seat from the Liberals.

But NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is also devoting resources to a riding where her party has traditionally done well.

The New Democrats are fielding local councillor Joe Krmpotich.

But the Liberals are not conceding the race despite recent public-opinion polls that show them trailing province-wide.

Former Sault mayor Debbie Amaroso is the Grit candidate.

Next month’s contest — which coincides with the day the Legislature rises for the summer — will be the first political test for Finance Minister Charles Sousa’s balanced budget.

Sousa’s spending plan unveiled last Thursday — the first without a deficit since 2008 — introduced free pharmacare for everyone under the age of 25 starting next January.

The Liberals hope that $465-million annual program is popular with young families.

Regardless of the outcome, the byelection will not radically alter the 107-member Legislature.

The majority Liberal government currently holds 57 seats, including that of Speaker Dave Levac, the Tories have 29, the New Democrats have 20, and there is one vacancy.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/03/sault-ste-marie-byelection-set-for-june-1.html
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was an short interview with all 3 candidates on ctv northern Ontario news at 6 , I don't normally watch it but checked in case it mentioned by election.

Ross Romano said his campaign has knocked on every door in the city and plans to again during by election

the ndp guy seemed prepared but didn't mention many specifics

the liberal came across as a loser , she made some odd statement that the by election isn't about provincial politics and tried to frame it as a local race , but then went on to say there is going to be a liberal government till 2018 anyways and we should have a voice at the table
I also noticed something odd about her campaign signs , smallest Ontario liberal logo I can recall seeing , her name is very big part of sign but liberal logo tiny and barely visible not like normal Ontario liberal signage , similar to types of signs used by federal liberal candidates in alberta by elections

it seems the race in the Soo is going to be much more competitive than years past , at this point I don't think its clear who is going to win there . all 3 campaigns appear serious and it could evolve into a 3 way race
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Liberals themselves frankly admitting to feeling doomed?

It seems so, as RCO notes. Local councillor Ross Romano is the Progressive Conservative candidate and the apparent front-runner. Perhaps it indicates something.

Why would the Toronto Star put that little factoid in the story headline? Why mention it at all? Begrudging as it is, it reflects an attitude of defeat. It would have been easy for them to stick to the facts, and put it on page 12.

Maybe they are realizing that the odds are against them in the next election. The MPs must have ways of reading the public mood back in their home ridings. They must be aware that their opponent is already organizing a campaign.

The Liberals have gone to ridiculous lengths to make the deficit a non-issue in the next election. Does any serious follower of Ontario's politics believe that whopper? While spending more, they also have expanded a drug benefit for what is probably the healthiest segment of the population, children under 25. And they have no plans to raise taxes in the next five years, or so they would have you believe.

I dunno, they just changed it so now we have to buy a license for bonfires, out here where the garbage trucks don't run ... $20 for a year's worth of bonfires, plus 13% for the sales taxes -- (How does being compelled to buy a license becomes a good or a service, upon which you should be taxed? Just asking.) It all comes to $22.60, and everybody makes out. Though there may be a carbon surtax on top of that, assessed on white cis-gendered males, perhaps? (After all, people like me used up more than their share going back to the days when half of the world was in loincloths.)

Who knows, anymore?

I think they are setting it up so whoever wins the election will inherit a real mess. They will have to raise taxes and cut benefits and freeze things, and control others. But what happens if the Liberals have to right their own scuttled ship? Wouldn't that be a laugh.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Are the Liberals themselves frankly admitting to feeling doomed?

It seems so, as RCO notes. Local councillor Ross Romano is the Progressive Conservative candidate and the apparent front-runner. Perhaps it indicates something.

Why would the Toronto Star put that little factoid in the story headline? Why mention it at all? Begrudging as it is, it reflects an attitude of defeat. It would have been easy for them to stick to the facts, and put it on page 12.

Maybe they are realizing that the odds are against them in the next election. The MPs must have ways of reading the public mood back in their home ridings. They must be aware that their opponent is already organizing a campaign.

The Liberals have gone to ridiculous lengths to make the deficit a non-issue in the next election. Does any serious follower of Ontario's politics believe that whopper? While spending more, they also have expanded a drug benefit for what is probably the healthiest segment of the population, children under 25. And they have no plans to raise taxes in the next five years, or so they would have you believe.

I dunno, they just changed it so now we have to buy a license for bonfires, out here where the garbage trucks don't run ... $20 for a year's worth of bonfires, plus 13% for the sales taxes -- (How does being compelled to buy a license becomes a good or a service, upon which you should be taxed? Just asking.) It all comes to $22.60, and everybody makes out. Though there may be a carbon surtax on top of that, assessed on white cis-gendered males, perhaps? (After all, people like me used up more than their share going back to the days when half of the world was in loincloths.)

Who knows, anymore?

I think they are setting it up so whoever wins the election will inherit a real mess. They will have to raise taxes and cut benefits and freeze things, and control others. But what happens if the Liberals have to right their own scuttled ship? Wouldn't that be a laugh.

the expectations have been set really low for the liberals in this riding , even though they got 58 % of the vote last time , ndp got 25 % and pc's 12 % in 2014 . if you were looking at the race thru the past results it would seem unlikely either opposition party could win here

but Orazeitti was the first liberal mpp for the area since the 1940's , looking thru its history the pc's elected 4 mpp's from 1950's-1980's , then the ndp elected 2 mpp's from late 80's until they lost in 2003. so it doesn't really appear to be a core liberal area , some speculated the past mpp was personally popular and opposition didn't really try hard to win the seat when he was mpp

I don't know if Romano is really the front runner or not , I've never actually been to the Soo . but it seems certain the pc % of the vote is going to improve greatly
RCO

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( 10 debates ? that is pure craziness , I've followed elections for years and never heard of a single riding ever having 10 debates , yet alone a short by election . I'd say 2 or 3 would be a sensible amount for a riding the size of sault ste marie )

Byelection kicks off with a ten-debate challenge

Amaroso invites rivals to 10 all-candidates debates, Krmpotich holds first press conference
1 shares
13 minutes ago by: Jeff Klassen

Random passerby Liz Heale stopped to shake the hand of NDP 2017 byelection candidate Joe Krmpotich at a press conference on the boardwalk on Thursday. Krmpotich's daughter and campaign-helper Jessica Krmpotich was at his side for the press conference, his first since the byelection date was called. Jeff Klassen/SooToday

On Day 2 of the Sault Ste. Marie provincial byelection campaign, Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso repeated her challenge to local party rivals to 10 all-candidates debates over the next 28 days.

NDP candidate Joe Krmpotich and Conservative candidate Ross Romano both said they’d answer any invitation to debate however there were questions about whether they could fit 10 debates in less than a month.

“We’re happy to attend as many debates as we can. Right now, I don’t know what the ten debates are. It seems high for a normal byelection campaign. I’ve seen three or four normally or in some rural ridings there might be five or six,” said Krmpotich’s campaign manager Joe Reilley.

Reilly said his team was aware of two debates in the works – one with the Chamber of Commerce and one with the Sault & Area Health Coalition – however neither has been confirmed with a firm date.

“It seems rather high, 10 in 28 days, but I’m happy to have as many debates as we can,” said Romano, who as of Thursday was unaware of any debates scheduled but said he might have missed an announcement since he was out all night putting up signs and all day knocking on doors.

Amaroso said 10 debates was not overkill.

“We only have a short amount of time to get the message out (and) it grants the opportunity of greater access for the community,” said Amaroso in a phone interview.

Amaroso said she feels, as the candidate of the current governing party, that she is better set to represent the Sault for at least as long as the Liberals are in power.

“It’s important that (my opponents) explain to the community that if they are not aligned with the government of the day, how are they going to better the situation for citizens of Sault Ste. Marie?” she said.

Also this morning, Krmpotich held his first press conference on the boardwalk near Station Mall.

When asked for three words to describe his campaign Krmpotich said ‘electricity, health, jobs’.

Krmpotich’s media conference largely focused on creating jobs with an emphasis on trying to bring ‘good sustainable’ ones for the Sault, and in particular, the city's youth.

Krmpotich also said he supports an NDP plan to cut hydro prices by 30 per cent, a plan that includes reversing the privatization of Hydro One.

When asked why Saultites should vote for a candidate outside the governing party, Krmpotich responded:

“Because a vote for me and a vote for NDP is a vote for working people, and that’s what we’re there to deliver.”

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/byelection-kicks-off-with-a-ten-debate-challenge-606206
RCO

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Debbie Amaroso has tried to explain why she is even running in the by election after saying she'd never run again in the Soo , personally I find her need for an explanation odd and claim she can get so many things done in what will be barely a year term . is really rather hard to believe and her reasoning for needing a government mpp for the remainder of the term is rather weak )

Why I'm doing what I'm doing. By Debbie Amaroso (6 photos)

When former mayor Debbie Amaroso was first asked to run for the provincial Liberals, her answer was: 'no.' But after further consideration, she responded: 'hell no!'
20 shares
about 10 hours ago by: David Helwig

Debbie Amaroso speaks to Liberal Party faithful at the May 6, 2017 opening of her provincial byelection campaign office. David Helwig/SooToday

Debbie Amaroso's provincial byelection campaign office is at 109 Queen Street East. David Helwig/SooToday

Debbie Amaroso is introduced by longtime Liberal organizer Richard Fiacconi at the May 6, 2017 opening of Amaroso's provincial byelection campaign office. David Helwig/SooToday

Liberal Party faithful listen to their candidate, former mayor Debbie Amaroso, speak at the May 6, 2017 opening of her provincial byelection campaign office. David Helwig/SooToday

Twenty-six days before the June 1 provincial byelection, Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso opened her campaign office Saturday at 109 Queen Street East, former home of Doug Sykes Insurance Inc.

Amaroso used the occasion to explain more fully to supporters why she's re-entering politics after she lost the mayoralty to Christian Provenzano in 2014 and promised that would "be the last you hear of me politically in this city."

The following is a SooToday transcript of the former mayor's explanation at Saturday's campaign office ribbon-cutting:

People have asked me two questions.

I'm going to answer these questions for you today.

Then you can take them forward and hopefully let people in the community that are in your circles know why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I got called while I was on vacation in Florida, by the Liberal Party.

It was actually Marianne Matichuk, former mayor of Sudbury, who called me and asked me to do this.

The very first word out of my mouth was: "no."

And then she asked me again and I went: "hell, no!"

And then I took a deep breath and I sat and thought about how many times I've made rash decisions in my life and have lived to regret them.

And how I really needed to take a step back and think about this.

So as I thought about it, these are the things that came to my mind.

On June 2, the day after the byelection, when we wake up, there will be a Liberal majority government.

This byelection does not change the landscape of the provincial government.

So where does that leave Sault Ste. Marie?

I'm in front of you and I'm in front of the community because I strongly believe that the only way this community has access to opportunity in the next year is if we have a seat at the table.

If we don't have a seat at the table, if there is another representative, they will be behind a closed door, knocking on it, not getting in, shaking their fist, whatever it is.

But there will not be access to opportunity in this city for the next year.

We have a guarantee here, for the next year.

After that, we don't know.

So I'm a bit of an opportunist and looked at that and I thought: "I'm willing to step out of retirement and be that face for the community so that we can be at the table.

We can push for what is needed in this community and we can go forward.

So that's really why I'm here.

We have one year where we have access to opportunity.

It is our only guarantee.

This byelection will not change who our provincial partners are.

So my question is, to everybody, do you want to be able to have someone positioned to have the ear of the government, or somebody who doesn't have the ear of the government?

This isn't about political stripes.

This isn't about anything else but Sault Ste. Marie.

I don't want to and I'm going to do everything I can not to get engaged in the provincial drama.

I'm not going to get caught up in what's happening in the gamesmanship that happens at that level.

My focus is solely here in Sault Ste. Marie and what can we do over the next year.

Local lawyer and Ward 6 councillor Ross Romano is representing the Ontario PC Party in the Sault byelection.

Romano's Ward 6 counterpart Joe Krmpotich is running for the New Democratic Party.

Kevin Clarke, a self-described former crack user and perennial candidate in federal, provincial and mayoral races in Toronto, is listed on the Elections Ontario website as running in the Sault byelection for The People's Political Party.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/why-im-doing-what-im-doing-by-debbie-amaroso-6-photos-607975

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: