Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see O'Leary pulling it off either, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes third or fourth by the end of it.

If the Mainstreet numbers are any indication of how the members will vote then his chances look bleak after the first round. He has just under 25% first ballot support but just as many say they won't support him. So he'd have to win over the remaining 50% in a big way.

I don't think this race is decided until the bottom seven drop off and at least two or three of the top seven. It'll probably take just two left before someone can reach 50%.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative rivals O'Toole, Leitch following divergent paths to leadership

Conservative race
Andrew Scheer is flanked by Erin O'Toole, left, and Kellie Leitch at the Conservative leadership candidates' bilingual debate in Moncton, N.B. on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. (Andrew Vaughan/The Canadian Press)

Stephanie Levitz, The Canadian Press
Published Monday, April 17, 2017 7:18AM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 17, 2017 9:06AM EDT

OTTAWA -- When Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai was speaking in Parliament last week, Kellie Leitch gave her seat to Conservative leadership rival Erin O'Toole's daughter Mollie so she could bear witness to history alongside her dad.

Leitch didn't mind -- she found a much better place to sit, right in front.

The two Conservative MPs may be seat mates in the back row of the House of Commons these days, but their campaigns to take over the permanent leadership of the party couldn't be much farther apart.

Leitch is on the populist path; the centrepiece of her campaign is a requirement that all newcomers be interviewed to verify their "Canadian" values. She rails against "out-of-touch elites," though some suggest the former cabinet minister and pediatric orthopedic surgeon is one herself.

"I talk about Canadian values, one of those values being hard work. I think when Canadians work hard they are extremely generous back," Leitch said recently during a roundtable interview with The Canadian Press.

"That's different than having an elitist attitude of thinking you know best and you can tell people what to do. That's not what I share."

Every day on the campaign trail, she said, she hears about the disconnect between working Canadians and their government. Closing that gap, she believes, requires getting government out of the way with "common sense" policies like spending caps and no carbon taxes.

To anyone who watched last year's U.S. election campaign, it might all sound a bit familiar.

Harping on elites, cracking down on immigration, promising to stand up for workers -- all were hallmarks of how U.S. President Donald Trump seized on the schism between the working class and Washington, riding that wave of alienation all the way to the White House.

O'Toole, meanwhile, isn't convinced that what happened in the U.S. is transferable to Canada, which is why he's on a different road.

"A lot of people in our race have been trying to say, 'How can we tap some of the potential that was disrupted in the U.S.,"' he said in a separate interview.

"I haven't tried to focus on any of that. I think the experience between Canada and the U.S. is very different -- we didn't have hundreds of thousands of people disaffected, because we had Stephen Harper."

If Letich frames her campaign as being about values, O'Toole's is based on ideas, including a lengthy policy platform that's intended to take Canada into the future.

He does see the potential for young Canadians to become disaffected, however, which is why his platform targets them with "Generation Kickstart," a program that would increase the basic personal tax exemption in their first three to five years out of school.

Winning over millennial voters is also a big part of front-runner Kevin O'Leary's campaign strategy, even though the celebrity investor has yet to deliver them much of a platform. O'Toole, meanwhile, finds himself polling firmly in the middle of the 14-candidate pack.

He chalks it up to O'Leary's celebrity status, something he expects will fade by the time ballots are being counted May 27.

"You can't build a strong future for millennials or young people just based on social media," O'Toole said. "If so, they'd be all secure with Mr. Trudeau, who is very good at social media."

O'Toole, a year younger than Trudeau, doesn't pooh-pooh social media's political power. He just thinks policy is more powerful. "I think Conservatives win when we have ideas that fit with what our grassroots want to do for the future of our country."

Leitch and O'Toole will spend the next six weeks trying to win over upwards of 100,000 party members. Neither expects to win on the first round of ranked-ballot voting, so they're also keen to be seen as the best choice for second or third as well.

O'Toole needs support from those backing other Ontario rivals, like Lisa Raitt or Chris Alexander, whose ridings are rich with members. Alexander and O'Toole are two of only a few people to whom former justice minister Peter MacKay has offered to lend his support.

Leitch, whose French is a work in progress, needs help from Quebec. There, those helping Quebec MP Steven Blaney could be wooed; the two share similar positions on immigration.

Leitch has faced criticisms from some fellow Conservatives, including former cabinet colleague Jason Kenney, who say the immigrant-screening idea never came up when they were in government, which suggests it's just an easy way to get votes.

"Others can speculate on who they think I am, but they are not close personal friends, and last I checked they are not me," Leitch said. "I am going to continue to talk about this because it is an important issue."

O'Toole, meanwhile, believes his ideas resonate because he's been talking about them a long time. His position on marijuana, for example, ran contrary to the official party line for years -- he supported decriminalization when the Conservative government had no intention of going in that direction.

The Liberal plan to legalize will be impossible to reverse, he suggested, so best to focus instead on public health issues and proper enforcement. Leitch, for her part, would reinstate the existing pot prohibition.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics.....-1.3371185
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Leitch is sticking with her main policy position but seems willing to scrap the idea of screening for visitors )

Kellie Leitch steps back from visitor screening pledge

Conservative Leadership Candidate Kellie Leitch says she intends face-to-face interviews with immigrants and refugees.

Laura Payton, Ottawa News Bureau Online Producer

@laura_payton
Published Saturday, April 15, 2017 7:43AM EDT

OTTAWA -- Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch may be stepping back from her promise to screen all visitors to Canada for Canadian values, though she's holding firm on immigrant and refugee interviews.

In an interview with Evan Solomon, host of CTV's Question Period, Leitch said she wants to "do the process properly."

"That means doing face-to-face interviews, based on the Senate standing committee report published in 2015, that recommends that we do face-to-face interviews," Leitch said.

Asked if that included visitors as well as immigrants and refugees, something she has said repeatedly, she suggested visitors would be excluded.

"We meet individual visitors, tourists, at the border already. And there are some we do more extensive background checks on," she said.

Anyone entering Canada at an official border crossing has to go through a border official. Those who cross illegally, if caught, are arrested and turned over to the Canada Border Services Agency for screening.

Leitch mentioned interviewing all visitors as recently as Wednesday, in a fundraising email sent following human rights activist Malala Yousafzai's visit to Canada. Leitch called Yousafzai "the embodiment of Canadian values."

"I am the only candidate who will ensure that every single person who seeks to come to Canada, as an immigrant, refugee, or visitor, receives a face-to-face interview with a trained immigration officer, and is screened to ensure they agree with our shared values," she wrote in the email.

As the leadership voting approaches, Leitch also told CTV's Question Period that she's avoided speaking negatively about the other candidates.

"When you're not doing well as another candidate, you attack people. I haven't been attacking my colleagues, I've been out talking about who we are as Canadians because I'm a proud Canadian," she said.

However, after it was noted that she has called her competitors "elites" and said they're out of touch, Leitch said she's acting no differently from the others.

"My colleagues are doing the same. When you're a front-runner that's what happens. But that's ok," she said.

In a fundraising email Thursday, Leitch took aim at two of her competitors over their stances on drugs.

"Of the three leading candidates in this race, I am the only one who is opposed to the legalization of marijuana," she wrote.

"Maxime Bernier is campaigning arm-in-arm with a convicted drug trafficker, Marc Emery. Kevin O'Leary supports giving drug addicts free heroin with taxpayer money."

Marijuana activist Marc Emery says he backs Bernier for the Conservative leadership due to Bernier's libertarian beliefs.

O'Leary has said he backs a prescription heroin program in Vancouver for addicts who haven't been able to get clean through methadone or abstinence, according to a report in the Georgia Straight, a local publication.

Leitch says the party's position on pot is clear.

"We would decriminalize it, but we don't want it legal," she said, criticizing the government for "basically saying it's ok for kids to do drugs."

"We would decriminalize, but we would make it illegal still."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics.....-1.3368269
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She noted recently that visitors are already screened at the border.

I imagine you'll see her start to moderate her positions now that the period of signing up members is over in an attempt to win more second and third votes.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin O'Leary ripped on Twitter for spending much of CPC campaign in U.S.

Janice Dickson

Tuesday, April 18th, 2017

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Lars Hagberg

Kevin O’Leary is spending the end of the Conservative leadership campaign in the same place he spent its beginning: the United States.

Rob Silver, longtime Liberal pundit and husband of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s chief of staff Katie Telford, pointed out on Twitter yesterday that O’Leary is back in the U.S.

“Kevin O’Leary’s in New York today because of course he is,” tweeted Silver on Monday.

According to analysis by CBC News, O’Leary spent about five or six days of his first week campaigning in the United States.

He’s on track to continue spending a lot of the campaign period...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/18.....gn-in-u-s/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is apparently pressure of Saxton to drop out of the race )

Saxton says rival candidates are urging him to drop out

Janice Dickson

Wednesday, April 19th, 2017

Conservative leadership candidate Andrew Saxton says he’s staying in the race until the end – and that rival candidates’ phone calls urging him to give up now have become “aggressive.”

“Other candidates are still trying to get me out of the race, but for very different reasons now,” Saxton’s campaign wrote in a release sent to reporters Wednesday afternoon.

“Surging support for Saxton has shifted the tone of his rival candidates’ phone calls from friendly to aggressive.”

Saxton, who has consistently polled at less than two per cent in the CPC race, wrote that the success of his grassroots...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/19.....-drop-out/
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CPC poll: O'Leary still leading, but Bernier not far behind

Kevin O’Leary continues to be Conservative party members’ first choice for leader, according to the latest iPolitics CPC Leadership Tracker powered by Mainstreet Research — which conducted its latest poll with an official membership list.

From April 11 to 13, Mainstreet reached 1,740 Conservative Party of Canada members and found — with a margin of error of +/- 2.35 per cent, 19 times out of 20 — that O’Leary was still the first choice of 23.16 per cent of Conservative members.

Maxime Bernier is close on O’Leary’s heels at 19 per cent, Andrew Scheer remains where he was last week, at 13 per cent, and Erin O’Toole is up slightly from last week at 10.46 per cent.

Previously, Mainstreet Research was polling individuals who donated to the Conservative Party of Canada. The polling firm has since acquired two copies of the party’s membership list.

That’s changed the makeup of Mainstreet’s data set, even if it hasn’t really changed the results. In previous surveys of donors, Mainstreet reached about 7 per cent of members under age 35 – the official list indicates that 15 per cent of CPC members are under 35 and there are more female members, said Maggi. The donor list was 65 per cent male and 35 per cent female; the membership list is 60 per cent male and 40 per cent female.

The numbers only shifted slightly and the results primarily showed better results for candidates Michael Chong and O’Toole, said Maggi.

While O’Leary continues to lead, Maggi said Bernier has more second and third choice support.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/20.....ar-behind/

Not sure how Mainstreet obtained copies of the party's membership lists. Interesting though that they note that Chong and O'Toole are now doing better because of it.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I can't see O'Leary pulling it off either, I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes third or fourth by the end of it.

From my perspective its a challenging situation;
Who do I want to lead the party less: Bernier or O'Leary?

I may park one or the other third on my ballot simply to make sure I don't get the least appealing option.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

I may park one or the other third on my ballot simply to make sure I don't get the least appealing option.

I prefer Bernier over O'Leary. He'll be one of top choices.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

I am leaning that way as well; by way of parking him third.

My consolation is that Bernier is one of the few leadership hopefuls that actually acknowledges the reality that beating the Liberals may be a more than one election process much as Harper did in 2004.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

I am leaning that way as well; by way of parking him third.

My consolation is that Bernier is one of the few leadership hopefuls that actually acknowledges the reality that beating the Liberals may be a more than one election process much as Harper did in 2004.

I never heard him mention that.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernier picks up support in Nova Scotia

Janice Dickson

Thursday, April 20th, 2017

Nova Scotia Tory senators are throwing their support behind Conservative leadership candidate Maxime Bernier.

Sen. Michael MacDonald and Sen. Kelvin Ogilvie announced their endorsement Thursday morning in a press release issued by Bernier’s campaign. Nova Scotia Sen. Stephen Greene endorsed Bernier last year.

MacDonald said in the release that Bernier “can and will win in Atlantic Canada.” MacDonald will serve as Atlantic campaign chairman for Bernier’s campaign.

Ogilvie wrote that Bernier’s ideas are resonating with Conservative party members and his “sound formula to win in 2019 will bring Conservatives back to government.”

According to Bernier’s campaign, he received 32 per cent of all...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/20.....va-scotia/
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

I think Trudeau can be beaten because he has done a pitiful job so far. Long ago I assessed him as all mouth and no content and he has shown that since becoming PM. The best is yet to come. The pot bill is a disaster just waiting to unfold. It will do nothing to reduce pot smoking among the young and neither will it reduce the illegal trade.
But we can't elect O'Leary, he's a clown but there are two or three who would be effective. My preference is Bernier
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmo, I don't think you see the up-side of Bernier. You seem to have a conspiratorial view of politics, that is, it''s not wise to tell the people the truth, it's preferable to manipulate them. Why? Because they are too stoopid to be able to reason things out?

It's certainly possible, and there are certainly instances of it, both good and bad. I thínk of Mulroney and his Meech Lake idea. That was a sad example. (Maybe it would have done the country and his party less damage if he'd lost the election.) But there is also the other example, of Hudak and his plans to cut back government, which mobilized the unions like nothing else could. Admittedly, he lost an election he should have won. (But in that case, had the party continued that focus, they might reap benefits in the upcoming election, and should. Instead, they seem to have dissociated themselves from that campaign, which in hindsight, was right.)

I say this because (so far as I can see) your whole case against Bernier boils down to the fact that he has out-of-the-box ideas, like ending supply management. Does anybody argue that there are no benefits to ending supply management ... er, cartelization of the dairy industry?

(And yet, that seems to have been put on the agenda as a 'grievance'against Canada -- but we carry on this debate as if Donald Trump never happened, don't we?)

My bigger point is that you don't see any up-side to a French Canadian leader who has such ideas, and possibly has the trust (in Quebec) that any Anglo Conservative would not.

We can't endlessly ignore every controversial social policy simply because a heavy crust of ideology has formed over it. Sometimes, at least, you have to get out front of those issues, and do some public education -- and that means understanding that the media will make mischief, that they aren't neutral.

Its turning out that the other choice might be a trade war with our biggest trading partner, Do we just ignore that possibility, like so many of the issues we ignore? Is Canada really ready to go into a trade war with our biggest trading partner? -- to whom we are entirely vulnerable -- in order to protect the cushy lives of a few thousand dairy farmers, who are disproportionately in Quebec?

It's the same with O''Leary -- sorry, Paisley -- but he is not simply a clown, as Donald Trump is not simply a clown. He takes it to the Liberals very effectively, and he is honest and direct about it. I don't say he's the man for this job, but to dismiss these people with a wave of the hand in favour of some pudgy unknown, however charming they are personally, is wrong.

We have to recognize that we are running against a very presentable PM, who we are not likely to beat when it comes to duplicity. Further, behind him is the guts of the old McGuinty machine, a group that has wrecked the province with their foolish 'green energy' plans, and knows how to mobilize the women's vote. We need to align ourselves with what is going on in the USA, and the rest of the world, and we need a leader who can take Trudeau to the mat.

This campaign is ignoring all of that, and it seems like a bunch of zombies, sleepwalking to the edge of a cliff.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conservative leadership candidate Andrew Scheer says universities should lose federal funding if they fail to protect freedom of speech on campus.

A “troubling trend” has surfaced where small groups on campus can shut down events, prevent guest speakers from giving lecture and ban activities or clubs they disagree with, Scheer said in an interview Wednesday. “Campuses are no longer the bastions of free speech that they once were.”

Recent examples include a pro-life group having its event cancelled at Wilfrid Laurier University; a student newspaper at McGill refusing to print pro-Israel articles; and protest surrounding University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson for his views on gender pronouns.

“There are a lot of people who come to campus who say things that are outrageous. And I vehemently disagree with them. That I find offensive. Professors or guest speakers who say terrible things about everything from Christianity to capitalism,” Scheer said.

http://news.nationalpost.com/n.....cheer-says

Last edited by cosmostein on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 43, 44, 45  Next  

Jump to: