Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( looks like Rona Ambrose is going to be in Markham, perhaps the conservatives are trying a bit harder in that riding than it looks )

GTA Tory‏ @GTATory · 37m37 minutes ago

Join #CPC Leader @RonaAmbrose in Markham today for a meet & greet w/ by-election candidate @gavanp - 6pm: https://www.facebook.com/events/1929187703982965/ … #cdnpoli
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markham is the logical target of the three ridings that were held by Liberals;
However they will be hard pressed to lose by less than double digits.

This is almost the "Patrick Brown Effect".

Leaders are seemingly no longer concerned with the optics of campaigning in ridings their party is unlikely to win.
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

Leaders are seemingly no longer concerned with the optics of campaigning in ridings their party is unlikely to win.

Even without winning the Tories will look good if they increase their vote share in Markham.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

Even without winning the Tories will look good if they increase their vote share in Markham.

It depends;
They lost in 2015 by 22%

If you lose by 15% its still a blow out.
LOL Maybe I am just not a silver lining guy.

Granted if you close it to say 9% for the sake of argument, that is positive-ish.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

It depends;
They lost in 2015 by 22%

If you lose by 15% its still a blow out.
LOL Maybe I am just not a silver lining guy.

Granted if you close it to say 9% for the sake of argument, that is positive-ish.

its hard for me to comment on the race there as I've seen no public polling on any of the 5 by elections and I've not personally been to the riding .

I wouldn't make too much out of Rona's visit , as she travels to a lot of ridings and is only an intern leader for the time being , so the results of the by elections aren't going to hold much impact on her future in politics

but considering the liberals have done well there in past elections and its been one of the weaker "905 " ridings for the conservatives , one would realistically expect it to stay liberal

although If they were able to increase the % of the vote that be positive , and they can't do any worse than 2nd as the ndp is so weak in York region ridings
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottawa—Vanier byelection candidates square off at public forum

April 3 is the day voters in Ottawa—Vanier will choose their new representative on Parliament Hill.

By Idil Mussa, CBC Posted: Mar 22, 2017 6:44 AM ET| Last Updated: Mar 22, 2017 6:44 AM ET

Four of the candidates running in the Ottawa—Vanier byelection April 3, clockwise from top left: Nira Dookeran for the Green Party, Mona Fortier for the Liberals, Adrian Papara for the Conservatives and Emilie Taman for the NDP.

Candidates in the race to represent Ottawa—Vanier at the federal level gathered at Rockcliffe Park Public School Tuesday night to present their platforms and take questions from the public.

The byelection — scheduled to take place April 3 — was called after longtime Liberal MP Mauril Bélanger died from Lou Gehrig's disease, or ALS, in August 2016.

About 300 people showed up to the Tuesday night meeting, listening as candidates answered a dozen questions on topics including immigration, pension security and electoral reform.

However, the first question of the night concerned the ongoing problems with the Phoenix pay system, an issue affecting many public servants in the capital's historically Francophone riding.

'We inherited this system'

Mona Fortier
If Mona Fortier wins, she'd be the first woman to represent the Liberal stronghold since the boundary was drawn in 1935. (Liberal Party of Ottawa)

"We inherited this system [from] the previous Conservative government and ... we see that it's not a question of flaws, it's really unacceptable that we're having major issues with the Phoenix system," said Liberal candidate Mona Fortier.

"We're really working hard to fix it."

Liberals have won every federal election in Ottawa—Vanier since the riding's creation in 1935, but if Fortier wins, history will be made as she'll be the first woman to represent the Liberal stronghold.

If she loses, history will still be made with the election of the riding's first non-Liberal candidate.

Affordable housing, electoral reform

NDP candidate Emilie Taman said she's hoping to crack the Liberal party's reign in the area.

"I don't believe that any dynasty is impenetrable," Taman said after the forum ended. "I get a real strong feeling from people that they're open to change. It's a byelection, it's a totally different dynamic."

Emilie Taman
Emilie Taman is a lawyer who ran for the NDP in the last federal election. (CBC)

One of the issues Taman said she would press the current Liberal government on is the lack of affordable housing, which she describes as a "crisis."

"There are 10,000 people on waiting lists in this city alone looking to be housed in a safe, secure environment that they can afford," she said.

Another issue brought up during the public forum is the topic of electoral reform.

"It's not everyone's number one issue but for those who care about it, there is a passion that is commendable," said Taman. "But I can tell you that, even people for whom electoral reform is not their biggest passion they see that disappointment. They see the cynicism behind the decision to abandon the promise. We don't consider it a dead issue and we're going to continue to push for electoral reform."

Beyond protecting the environment

Nira Dookeran
Nira Dookeran is a high school teacher and community activist who ran for the Green Party in the last federal election. (CBC)

Teacher and Green party candidate Nira Dookeran said she's committed to pushing for stronger protections for the environment, as well as pressing for action on other issues facing residents in her riding.

"Job security, income security, affordable housing and there's a lot of concern about senior's care. It's an aging population. Some well-off, some not so well-off," said Dookeran, who believes her experience of living in Ottawa—Vanier makes her well suited to represent the diverse community.

"I taught here at Rideau High School and other high schools. I raised my son here. I was a single mom here. I was a married person. A home owner. Then I was a divorced mom in subsidized housing. I've seen and lived the breadth of experience in this riding," she said.

A protest vote

Conservative candidate Adrian Papara, who has an MBA from the University of Ottawa, believes some people's desire for political change in the riding could be reflected in their vote.

"It's a way for people to protest," he said. "When I knocked on doors, people were telling me, 'It's been Liberal for so many years. We'd love to see a Conservative candidate in here.'

Adrian Papara
Adrian Papara has worked for two Conservative MPs on Parliament Hill and has been involved with the party's campaigns in Ottawa—Vanier in recent years. (CBC)

"A lot of people feel that, because this is a Liberal riding, the Liberals don't have to work as hard as the other candidates. And a lot of people say that their vote is just taken for granted."

Papara said he would like to see the community transformed by emerging businesses the way other areas of the city have been.

"I look at places like Kanata, who have a great private sector hub and we don't have that in Ottawa—Vanier.

"Kanata has incubators for small businesses. I think if we work with our university and have an incubator, or accelerator in Ottawa—Vanier, we could have our own little technology hub or innovation hub here in this area and attract people here."

Key dates

Via Elections Canada:​
■Advanced voting days are March 24-27.
■Voters can cast a ballot at the Elections Canada office (214 Montreal Rd., Suite 500) until March 28.
■The deadline to apply to vote by mail is also March 28.
■Voting day is April 3.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4034778
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Calgary by elections are heating up literally )

March 23, 2017 9:25 am Updated: March 23, 2017 10:10 am

2 byelection signs set on fire in Calgary-Midnapore riding

By Melissa Gilligan
Online Reporter Global News

A burned byelection sign in the area of Bow Bottom Trail and Canyon Meadows Drive S.E. on Thursday, March 23, 2017.

Calgary police are investigating after two byelection signs were set on fire in the riding of Calgary-Midnapore on Thursday.

Police said the first fire was found on Parkland Boulevard and Canyon Meadows Drive S.E. at around 5:20 a.m. About 20 minutes later, a second sign was found on fire on Bow Bottom Trail and Canyon Meadows Drive S.E.

Though badly burned, at least one of the two signs appeared to be red in colour.

Arson investigators are also looking into two dumpster fires along Bannister Road S.E. which were set on Thursday morning. Police said it’s not known if all four fires are connected.

Federal byelections will be held in the ridings of Calgary-Midnapore and Calgary-Heritage on April 3.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3329.....re-riding/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the last election 1000's of cpc signs all over Canada were vandalised and the police rarely investigated any of these cases and few people were ever charged , yet 2 liberals signs are burnt down and its a major story in Calgary , really ? )

Calgary police searching for suspect in byelection sign arson

Calgary Herald
More from Calgary Herald

Published on: March 23, 2017 | Last Updated: March 23, 2017 8:56 AM MDT

Calgary police are investigating after two byelection signs were destroyed by fire in the federal riding of Calgary-Midnapore early Thursday morning.

The first sign was set afire at Parkland Boulevard and Canyon Meadows Drive S.E. around 5:20 a.m.

“We’re not sure which political candidate or which riding,” said Det. Andy Nguyen.

Just 20 minutes later, a witness reported to police that they had seen a man setting fire to a sign near Canyon Meadows Drive and Bow Bottom Trail S.E.

The man, described as having a skinny build, was seen running into a nearby building.

“We contained the building and had (Canine Unit) out, but they were unsuccessful in locating a suspect,” Nguyen said.

An arson investigator is looking into the incidents.

The Calgary Midnapore seat was left vacant when former cabinet minister Jason Kenney stepped down to run for the provincial PC leadership.

Voters in the south Calgary riding will go to the polls April 3.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/.....sign-arson
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the by elections are quickly coming to a finish , with advance polls starting tomorrow and running until Monday , I personally suspect turnout will be somewhat low compared to the last election )

Advanced polls set to open for Calgary byelections

Local
News
Politics

by Crystal Laderas and Tom Ross
Posted Mar 22, 2017 12:59 pm MDT
Last Updated Mar 22, 2017 at 1:00 pm MDT

Calgary voters can cast their ballots in just a couple of days for two byelections in the city.

Advanced polls open Friday for Calgary-Heritage and Calgary-Midnapore constituents.

They’re part of five byelections happening across the country.

The advanced polls are open from noon until 8 p.m.

People can check the Elections Canada website to find the nearest polling station.

Advanced polls are open until Monday, March 27, and the byelection is April 3.

Calgary-Heritage was occupied by former Prime Minister Stephen Harper, while new leader of the Progressive Conservatives, Jason Kenney, vacated Midnapore to seek leadership of the provincial party.

http://www.660news.com/2017/03.....elections/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News Releases and Media Advisories

Advance voting in federal by-elections begins Friday

Gatineau, Wednesday, March 22, 2017

•Advance voting for the federal by-elections in Calgary Heritage (Alberta), Calgary Midnapore (Alberta), Markham–Thornhill (Ontario), Ottawa–Vanier (Ontario) and Saint-Laurent (Quebec) begins on Friday, March 24 and continues Saturday, March 25, Sunday, March 26 and Monday, March 27.

•Advance polls in these electoral districts are open from 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. (local time).

•Electors can find the address of their advance voting location on the back of their voter information card. They can also visit elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868.

•To vote, electors must show proof of identity and address. The list of accepted pieces of identification is online.

•The voter information card is not an authorized piece of ID, but we encourage electors to bring it with them for faster service at the polls.

Ready to vote

Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.

Information:
Elections Canada Media Relations
1-877-877-9515
or at elections.ca

http://www.elections.ca/conten.....amp;lang=e
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I can't seem to find an article about the visit but have seen a few article which seem to indicate trudeau campaigned in the Markham Thornhill by election yesterday , which is kind of surprising as its seen as a safe liberal seat and not really necessary for him to take time out of his busy schedule to campaign for the liberal candidate , this might also lead some to wonder if the race is closer than it appears ? I don't really know the answer as to why he felt it was necessary to campaign in the by election )

Justin Trudeau touts budget's ‘meaningful’ investments

Trudeau is highlighting his government’s investments in skills training, child care and affordable housing as he fends off criticism that the Liberals’ second budget was a tepid, hold-the-line plan.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mary Ng, centre, Liberal Candidate for the federal riding of Markham-Thornhill, pose for a selfie with a member of the crowd, during a visit to the Canadian Chinese Table Tennis Association in Markham, Ontario, on Thursday, March 23, 2017.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/03/23/justin-trudeau-touts-budgets-meaningful-investments.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudeau skips budget debate to campaign as opposition decries ‘arrogant’ rule changes

Daniel Leblanc

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Mar. 23, 2017 12:57PM EDT

One day after his second budget was tabled, Mr. Trudeau attended a photo opportunity and news conference in Toronto before going to the riding of Markham-Thornhill to campaign with Liberal candidate Mary Ng ahead of the April 3 by-election. One of the events attended by the Prime Minister was organized by the Canadian Chinese Table Tennis Association.

Conservative House Leader Candice Bergen said in an interview that the Prime Minister should have been in Ottawa, talking about his budget, instead of going to partisan events.

“He doesn’t seem to know where to draw the line,” she said. “It’s arrogance. The Prime Minister doesn’t want to answer questions in the House.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....e34396177/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it also appears Rona Ambrose and some other cpc mp's were in St Laurent to campaign for the by election )

Pierre Paul-Hus‏Verified account @PierrePaulHus · 3m3 minutes ago

En campagne avec Jimmy Yu candidat pour élection partielle dans St-Laurent.@RonaAmbrose @Alupa_Clarke @AliceWongCanada @KellieLeitch #polcan

Translated from French by Bing Wrong translation?

In the country with Jimmy Yu candidate for by-election in St Lawrence. @RonaAmbrose @Alupa_Clarke @AliceWongCanada @KellieLeitch #polcan
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Justin trudeau is spending the afternoon campaigning Ottawa Vanier which has to be the safest liberal riding just about anywhere , I actually think he likes campaigning in by elections so much , once these 5 are over he is going to force one of his mp's to quit so they have to hold another one )

Michael Broeders‏ @MichaelBroeders · 5m5 minutes ago

Someone special is at the office to support @MonaFortier! Welcome to #ottawavanier, @JustinTrudeau!

Braeden Caley‏ @braedencaley · 13m13 minutes ago

Early voting is open! @JustinTrudeau & @MonaFortier visiting local small businesses in #OttawaVanier. #LPC #TeamTrudeau
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some conservatives are also asking why trudeau now considers Ottawa vanier his riding ? from what we know he changed his voter registration during provincial by election and he now is eligible to vote there and not in Papineau anymore )

Sen. Denise Batters‏Verified account @denisebatters · 19h19 hours ago

.@davidakin Why does #Trudeau now consider Ottawa-Vanier his riding? PM Harper always cast his ballot in Calgary. #ForgotAboutPapineau?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: