Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Sun news applies to CRTC to be on basic cable Reply with quote

( sun news has just applied to be on basic cable , i get cogeco and we have sun news , it surprises me its still not available to so many cable subsribers in canada )

Sun News Network pushing to expand reach
Updated
8:25 am, January 22nd, 2013

Credits: MICHAEL PEAKE/Toronto Sun

QMI AGENCY

OTTAWA - Sun News Network has made what it calls a "do or die" application to the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) to be put on basic cable, just like its main competitors.

"We are asking for the same type of licence that CTV and CBC had for 13 and 21 years respectively for their news channels," said Kory Teneycke, vice-president of Sun News.

"We think this is a reasonable request and that it is in the interests of all Canadians."

Teneycke said Sun News is only available in four out of 10 households right now, with some cable companies not carrying the channel at all.

"This is not right," he said. "Especially when these same cable providers are offering American cable news channels as a part of their basic package."

Sun News produces 96 hours per week of pure Canadian content.

If the CRTC grants Sun News the "mandatory distribution" it seeks, it would mean a financial boon for the channel.

Sun News wants the CRTC to set the fee for its signal at 18 cents per English subscriber, considerably less than the 63 cents per subscriber cable companies shell out for the CBC News Network.

There are 15 channels, including Sun News, asking the CRTC for mandatory distribution, along with six others seeking to have that status renewed.

Commissioners have set Feb. 20 as the deadline for public submissions on the applications, with a public hearing scheduled for April 23 in Gatineau, Que.

Sun News is jointly owned by TVA Group Inc. and Sun Media Corp.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/s.....84251.html
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice;
However I don't see the CRTC doing so.
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Sun News Network, I liked the idea of it originally but can't even bare to watch it now. I just find it just comes off completely unprofessional. It's good to have a new network with a conservative view but not the way they do it. Making fun of Justin Trudeau and calling him names for instance, we wouldn't put up with CTV only referring to Harper by some stupid nickname would we? They need a rethink.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I hate Sun News Network, I liked the idea of it originally but can't even bare to watch it now. I just find it just comes off completely unprofessional. It's good to have a new network with a conservative view but not the way they do it. Making fun of Justin Trudeau and calling him names for instance, we wouldn't put up with CTV only referring to Harper by some stupid nickname would we? They need a rethink.

I like the concept,
I don't love the implementation.

What Sun News has been very effective at showing me is that CTV, CBC, and the Prints have been very selective in terms of what they define as reportable news.

Sun seems to take the blunt instrument approach as it pertains to certain stories, but it seems to force the others to actually cover them, and that I do appropriate.

Jump to: