Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpsdoodle

Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Duffy Too Bad...... HYPOCRITE!!! Reply with quote

Another example of what happens when one gets into politics these days......

So he is admitting that he was ripping off Canadian taxpayers and would still be doing so had he not been caught.

This is fraud. He should be charged.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2.....-expenses/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those sticky situations you often run into with appointing a Senator that may be from region XYZ who became successful or had a career in region ABC.

Duffy owns two homes;
One in Ottawa, and One in Cavendish.

You are as a Senator allowed to reclaim expenses for a secondary home as you need to work in one place, and represent your constituency in another (usually).

Duffy represents PEI in the Senate;

However we all know that the Cavendish home is his secondary home, the problem is to claim that you run into residency requirements which are the base qualifications to being a Senator.

Which is why the Ottawa home was used for the credit.

Technically speaking he is using a credit which he is entitled to using, however one which he should be using on his secondary home (Cavendish) not his primary home (Ottawa)

What I find so interesting is that this was never an issue in the past;

The Senate was always a reward for party patronage, a good number of Senators had careers in Ottawa yet were born abroad and got a Senate seat based on some swath of land they owned in that regions which was deemed their "Primary" residence, yet the one they had occupied in Ottawa for decades was their "secondary" residence.

Duffy is ultimately the example being set for decades of this sort of use of the housing credit in this manner.

I am not opposed to finally cracking down on this;
However, I would in this case expect all 105 Senators to live in region they represent as their primary homes much like MP's largely do.

If that happens is an entirely different story.
tpsdoodle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I see is we see no fault when our team got elected and they continue to do the same shit as the Liberals did. Gov't spending has increased, entitlements are flowing from the taps, ministers are stifled by Harper, yet we continue to manipulate, twist/spin the facts. It's a joke....... If they want real transparency, they should open the books of the House of Commons and the Senate for public scrutiny. After all, it;s our money they are wasting....

FYI.......

The top 10 spenders in the red chamber in 2012....

Gerry St. Germain, a Conservative who retired in November, was the top spender ($378,292), while Liberal Robert Peterson, who retired in October, landed in the fifth spot ($320,234). Sen. Pamela Wallin, whose travel expenses are being audited, ranked second-highest in overall spending ($369,593), while Sen. Mike Duffy, another senator whose expenses are being audited, was ninth ($298,310).
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet if all the Senators were audited there would be a lot more we haven't heard about.

What about other Senators behaving badly...

Raymond Lavigne was charged with Fraud.

Joyce Fairbairn's condition must have been known to other Senators but did any of her Liberal colleagues think they should let anyone know? She was a journalist btw.

Then there's Harb of course who was under RCMP investigation in 2011 for criminal breach of trust.
tpsdoodle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, both MP's and Senators of all stripes should be audited. They all live on the taxpayer's dime...
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpsdoodle wrote:
The problem I see is we see no fault when our team got elected and they continue to do the same shit as the Liberals did. Gov't spending has increased, entitlements are flowing from the taps, ministers are stifled by Harper, yet we continue to manipulate, twist/spin the facts. It's a joke....... If they want real transparency, they should open the books of the House of Commons and the Senate for public scrutiny. After all, it;s our money they are wasting....

FYI.......

The top 10 spenders in the red chamber in 2012....

Gerry St. Germain, a Conservative who retired in November, was the top spender ($378,292), while Liberal Robert Peterson, who retired in October, landed in the fifth spot ($320,234). Sen. Pamela Wallin, whose travel expenses are being audited, ranked second-highest in overall spending ($369,593), while Sen. Mike Duffy, another senator whose expenses are being audited, was ninth ($298,310).

Agreed;
There should be more scrutiny,

However I am not entirely solid on the concept of judging Senators by their expenses, Senators sit on committees and regardless of my personal thoughts on the matter have some degree on input on legislation.

I would be interested to see a breakdown of what the expenses were; Wallins for example is Chair of the Senate's National Security & Defence Committee, and serves on both the Veterans Affairs subcommittee and the Senate's Foreign Affairs & International Trade Committee.

She has the type of position that actually justifies travel;

Where Peterson for example was a member of Senate Committee for Energy, the Environment and Natural Resources, the Senate Committee for Aboriginal Peoples, the Senate Committee on National Defense and the Senate Committee on National Finance,

Positions are at least IMO a little more National then International, yet his spending exceeds that of Wallins who has a fairly more international portfolio.

I don't have an issue with Senate expenses assuming they are being used to fill their mandate as Senators, generally speaking the amount spent is moot its if the money was spent to fill their responsibilities or not that actually concerns me.

In Wallins case; IIRC its been pretty standard practice to have the members of the Senate's National Security & Defence Committee & Senate's Foreign Affairs & International Trade Committee toward the top of the list (assuming they are doing their jobs) and in Wallins case she is a Chair of one and a member of the other.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
I bet if all the Senators were audited there would be a lot more we haven't heard about.

What about other Senators behaving badly...

Raymond Lavigne was charged with Fraud.

Joyce Fairbairn's condition must have been known to other Senators but did any of her Liberal colleagues think they should let anyone know? She was a journalist btw.

Then there's Harb of course who was under RCMP investigation in 2011 for criminal breach of trust.

I have made no secret of the fact that I would rather the upper house simply be abolished, however as long as they do exist I don't have an issue with them spending money to do their jobs, as long as they are spending money to do those jobs which has not been the case in some of the above.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's 'normal' in the Senate?

The basic salary of a Senator is $132,300.

They get additional pay if they have an 'office;. For instance, the speaker gets an additional $55,200, as well as a car allowance, and a residence allowance, which come to another $4000 a month. ($4000 a month is more than the average salary in Canada.) For the speaker, it all adds up to $235,000 a year! Not counting any travel allowance!

The leader of the Government in the Senate gets over $230,000 ... and so it goes. The bonuses get smaller, but are still significant for the Opposition leader, and the party whips, depute leaders, and all of that. You earn an extra $11,100 for chairing a committee, and the vice chair gets $5,600.

There are 105 senators. PEI gets 4, one for every 35,000 people.

But they spend more ... Those 105 Senators are paid a total of $66.8 million, but they enjoy other benefits as well, thanks to the taxpayers generosity, up to another $40 million, give or take, a year. They don't have to submit to government medicine. They have a special medical and dental plan which costs about $44,000 a year, each! (How's that possible?) It all comes to about $1 million per senator per year.

The only thing a senator can be fired for is treason.

This is austerity in the Senate. The government has frozen their pay since 2009.

Jump to: