Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Professor bans citing Fox News as Source Reply with quote

Quote:
A syllabus for a political science course at West Liberty University instructs students that they must filter out two potential research sources, reports WTOV, a nearby NBC affiliate.

According to Fox News, ironically enough, the syllabus says (with grammatical errors preserved for posterity):

DO NOT use

1) The Onion — this is not news this is literally a parody

2) Fox News — The tagline “Fox News” makes me cringe. Please do not subject me to this biased news station. I would almost rather you print off an article from the Onion

http://news.yahoo.com/professo.....29523.html
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often comment to friends while in debates about the "enlightened" graduates of post secondary institutions that I was at my absolute dumbest intellectually the day I was handed my Masters degree.

After about a year of working in a reality that was nothing like day to day campus life I realized very quickly that a career professor was no more enlightened to the realities of the working world then a high school graduate on his first day at the job.

Spending days debating failed theory in a vacuum tends to make ones view of the way the vast majority of people live seem a million miles away and this professor seems to be proving that point in spades.

While I will fully admit to Fox News sensationalizing certain news events, I find that its no better or worse then what I would see flipping to MSNBC or even a growing amount of time on CNN,

Rather then news being read, you have nearly every news channel with an army of analysis' spinning the story with their opinions and agendas taking away from the actual facts that news should be providing.

None of it is really news; however I wouldn't consider it any less valid of a source then some political science processors essay on the benefits of Marxism, or a textbook comprised of the works of various career professors who have never been employed outside the realm of campus.

Making the professor "cringe" is now the criteria for what a valid academic sourcing material in a post secondary environment?

This simply goes to further my point that there are just too many spots for Arts majors taking degrees in hobbies out there and this is something that needs to be addressed on both side of the border.
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over Christmas, I went out for a few beers with an old buddy I played football with in high school. He has since become a professor at York, and his wife is also a professor at the same institution. (In fact, she was a grad student who worked 'under' him, so to speak.)

Anyway, many years have passed. She banned me from their house when her first child was born. No real reason, except I was deemed to be such a male chauvinist that my presence would pervert her children, I guess.

So, after all of these years, I was invited back to drain a bottle of Scotch, and I met the young man. He's now 25, and a student at UofT. I don't know that he's a left-winger, other than he thinks Barrack Obama is a reactionary in the hire of 'the corporate right wing'. Well ... I sort of think that it's the big banks, but ... yeah ...

He was with a girl-friend, and they both spoke in an accent that must be peculiar to the UofT campus. He's a student of political science and economics. For a moment, I thought it would be interesting to see if he recognized the parameters of our economic situation. I was surprised because he was right up with 'modern monetary theory', more of less the new form that Keynesian thought has taken.

He was blythely convinced that there were no real problems because the US Fed could print money into oblivion. I tried a couple of 'test questions' and was surprised because he had all the answers. He had an annoying habit of starting off his rejoinders with the phrase " ... you probably think ..." because, you see, I am a 'right-winger'. He clearly takes me for one of Hitler's henchmen. (I don't know how he knew. We never discussed gay rights ...) I kept calm.

It's truly a strange experience to be spoken down to by one of your oldest friend's kids.

This is a bright kid with all the advantages. But he is so ... no other word for it ... fucked up! He simply assumes he will always have his present life-style, or better. He expects to have a more 'balanced' life, and will make more enlightened choices between career and leisure.

He's living with his parents on Albany Ave, the same street Jane Jacobs lived on, in a family with a joint income of over $200,000 a year, where nobody in the family really has to work. OK, six hours a week, with three months off in the summer.

There has never been a point in his life when he has lived mainstream reality. I don't think he even knows anybody who has.

I just shake my head, and hope I am around to clink some ice cubes with him the Christmas after he's been gob-smacked by reality.
Thucydides

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they get out in the "real" world it will be like the Zombie Apocalypse for them. While literal flesh won't be eaten, they will quickly discover the true value of their education n the real world.

Already I bin any resume coming from York, and now it looks like my suspicions about UoT have been confirmed.

If I have any manual labour positions I might reconsider, but manual labour requires a willingness to work.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thucydides wrote:
When they get out in the "real" world it will be like the Zombie Apocalypse for them. While literal flesh won't be eaten, they will quickly discover the true value of their education n the real world.

You are entirely correct, these professors who have zero or little private sector experience or even non-academic experience in their field are doing no favors to the students they are teaching, as walking out those gates with paper in hand is the greatest single shock to the system most people will ever experience.

I think my biggest mistake when I graduated was looking at my education as a lifestyle philosophy rather than a tool, but in all fairness after more then half a decade on campus being indoctrinated with being a "better" person it was a hard thing to realize.

Jump to: