Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Justin Trudeau paid to speak when he was an mp Reply with quote

( what do you think about trudeau being paid to speak well he was an mp and in alot of cases missing important house votes ? does this hurt him or is he still the media's golden boy ? )

Trudeau got $15,000 to address federal employees

By Kristy Kirkup, Parliamentary Bureau

Trudeau missed House business while earning thousands on speakers circuit

OTTAWA – Liberal leadership hopeful Justin Trudeau took $15,000 in May 2010 from an Ontario school board to speak at a conference whose attendees were federal employees, QMI Agency has learned.

The 2010 event was one of 17 speeches the Liberal MP has given since his election in 2008 that have netted him $277,000.

Trudeau was hired by the Loyola School of Adult and Continuing Education in 2010 to give a keynote address at an annual conference for educational staff of the Correctional Services of Canada, a federal agency.

Loyola is part of the Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board based in Kingston, Ont.

Trudeau also received $10,000 from the Kincardine District School Board to speak in 2011 and $15,000 from the Waterloo Catholic District School Board in 2009.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....82991.html
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trudeau missed House business while earning thousands on speakers circuit
Updated
7:36 pm, February 15th, 2013

Federal Liberal Leadership front-runner Justin Trudeau responds to questions from reporters after speaking to students.

Credits: Clifford Skarstedt/Peterborough Examiner/QMI AGENCY

DAVID AKIN | PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU CHIEF

OTTAWA -- Justin Trudeau is one of just three MPs - all of them Liberals - to report extra income from speaking engagements in the last five years.

And, in Trudeau's case, it appears he missed debates, votes and possibly one of his party's caucus meetings so he could earn tens of thousands on the speaking circuit.

Trudeau, speaking to supporters in Bracebrige, Ont., Friday, declined to provide any more details about the issue.

But in documents he provided to the Ottawa Citizen, he said he had been paid $277,000 for 17 speaking engagements since becoming an MP in the 2008 general election.

A QMI agency examination of those engagements founds that nine events for which he earned $147,000 were held on days the House of Commons was sitting.

Hansard, the official record of House of Common proceedings shows no evidence Trudeau was in the House on the dates of those nine events.

On April 20, 2012, for example, Trudeau earned $20,000 for a speech he gave to Literacy for Life in Saskatoon. In the House of Commons, other MPs were debating and voting on a pension reform initiative.

On Jan. 31, 2009, MPs debated and voted on changes to employment insurance benefits. There is no record Trudeau voted on that initiative or participated in the day's proceedings. But he did give a speech that day to the Toronto-based group, The Learning Partnership, for which he was paid $10,000.

The other two Liberal MPs to earn speaking fees are Trudeau's Liberal leadership rival, Marc Garneau, and Toronto-area MP Kirsty Duncan.

All three followed House of Commons guidelines for this activity, reporting their income from speaking fees to the House of Commons ethics commissioner.

Nonetheless, two other Liberal leadership rivals, David Bertschi and George Takach, said they would not accept such fees should they become MPs. (Neither has ever been an MP).

Both Conservative and NDP MPs also said MPs should forgo speaking fees.

A Garneau campaign spokesperson said he earned $10,000 from one speech which he gave shortly after becoming MP.

Garneau was contracted to give that speech, the spokesperson said, before he became an MP.

Duncan was unable to provide details Friday about her speaking engagements as she was undergoing dental surgery.

Her speaker agency indicates at its website she charges between $10,000 and $20,000 per speech.

Duncan has declared income from speaking engagements to the ethics commissioner in each of 2009, 2010, and 2011.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/s.....50026.html
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a tough one, isn't it?

Frankly, optics aside, I really don't think that his absence in the House would be noticed, or that the quality of the debate would decline, either.

But why should a politician get paid $15,000 a pop to address subjects of the crown other than those they are sworn to represent?

What concerns me is that he is really fund-raising for the party. Where does the money actually end up? With the Liberal party, or in Trudeau's own leadership campaign fund, or to Trudeau personally?

We need to know who paid these fees, and if the audiences supported, through ticket sales, those prices. Or if political groups used public funds to pay him.

There's a lot of cutting and dicing to do here.
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take any opportunity to make money myself, but the fact that he missed votes in the House to basically work at another job is ridiculous.
Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but what difference would it have made? Parliamentary votes are pretty much pro-forma things when the sitting government has a majority.

The fact is that the job part of being a MP involves constituency work. A good staff can take care of the bulk of that. Otherwise, the job serves as a kind of marker showing the distribution of support through the land.

I am coming around to thinking that Harper may have come across his first worthy opponent since he's been PM. Trudeau fils handled himself well in the most recent leadership debate, with the other candidates ganging up on him (at least briefly). He displayed some passion and took on the issue head-on.

Quote:
Trudeau attacked on privileged background at Liberal debate

The Liberal leadership candidates took turns at perceived front runner Justin Trudeau during the third debate Saturday, with Martha Hall Findlay raising the issue of “class” and his privileged background.

During an exchange about the need to overhaul Canada’s tax system, former Liberal MP Hall Findlay told Trudeau that he doesn’t belong to the middle class and has openly admitted it. She made her comments first in French, then pushed them again in English remarks at the end of the debate.

After the audience jeered Hall Findlay, Trudeau responded, stating that as a Liberal he has always made service to his community his main priority.
Related Stories

“That is what my identity is all about,” he said before walking away from the podium and off the stage.

Trudeau, the eldest son of late Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, later returned to the podium, smiling, to close out the debate.

Hall Findlay told reporters afterward that her comments were not a personal attack on Trudeau.

“My issue was substance and experience,” she said. “I don’t think of Canada as a class society, I want us to talk about equality of opportunity.

"We want a leader in this party... who can sit at a table with (German Chancellor) Angela Merkel and have a really strong discussion about the Euro zone, or with (Russian President) Vladimir Putin and talk about how we deal with natural gas deposits under the Arctic," Hall Findlay said.

MP Marc Garneau also pressed Trudeau during the debate, held in Mississauga, Ont. Early on, Garneau questioned Trudeau’s credentials to lead the party and accused him of speaking in generalities.

Earlier in the week, Garneau accused Trudeau of offering only vague platitudes and urged him to set out a detailed platform.

"What is it in your resume that qualifies you to be the future prime minister of Canada?" he asked Trudeau.

Trudeau responded by speaking about his positions on trade and post-secondary education, which he posted to his website hours before the debate.

Trudeau accused Garneau of focusing too much on detailed policy announcements and not on connecting with voters. He stressed his ability to connect with people and said that's the key to leading the Liberals back to power.

"You can't lead from a podium and a press conference, you can't win over Canadians with a five-point plan," Trudeau said.

"You have to connect with them."

The third debate featured lively exchanges between the candidates on a range of issues including immigration, youth unemployment, infrastructure, trade and Canada’s tax system.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics.....z2LAAI7V5M

There may be more to the young Mr Trudeau than we think. Think about it -- if he can take 50 seats in Quebec, and add it to what the Liberals now hold, he can force a minority on the Conservatives. And he has the magnetism that could withstand the future attack ads that lie in his future path, if he's successful.

And my bet is that those 50 Quebec seats are very vulnerable to a reincarnation of the Trudeau mystique. He could become Canada's Louis Napoleon, looking for his own personal 18th of Brumaire.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still if there was a meeting in your office would your boss be pleased if you missed it to work another job, even if you weren't going to be that involved in the meeting?
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a closer parallel to contrast with yours.

My objection is that, applying your metaphor of the work meeting, Trudeau fils would be in the position of a simple employee, and the public would be the boss. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

But I have to ask -- in what sense do politicians seem like 'employees' of the public?

They generally have a cynical contempt for the People, and act as if they are our masters, and the People are a bunch of dummies that are easily and justifiably manipulated.

I look at political parties as more like a sales organization.

Following the parallel, Mr. Sinclair-Trudeau would be out making a sale while the rest of the staff was being cranked up at the regular Thursday morning meeting by the Sales Manager. Or waiting in the back of the sales room for a customer to come in.

I don't think this issue is going to offend the public. Canadians, in the main, are used to be treated like by-standers to their own politics and are more likely to pull their forelocks and shuffle their feet than get demanding.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I'd take any opportunity to make money myself, but the fact that he missed votes in the House to basically work at another job is ridiculous.

I think another example of the double standard that the LPC enjoys because lets be honest here, if a CPC MP was doing the same thing we have an RCMP investigation being demanded by the opposition.

I also find the response by some Liberals/former Liberals to be so "matter of fact" and condescending;

Quote:
Carolyn Parrish ‏@carolynhparrish

@AlbertaGrl With this majority Harper dictatorship, votes in the House are quite irrelevant. Work at committees only a little less so.

https://twitter.com/carolynhparrish/status/303165928433131520

Or

Warren Kinsella ‏@kinsellawarren

Quote:
Harper skips House biz for #CPC biz all the time. Taxpayer pays, including for millions in security detail. Hit back, #LPC.

https://twitter.com/kinsellawarren/status/302800077741760512

Granted I think that Parrish let emotion get the better of her as she was in a back and forth with what she has referred to as a "Tory" but overall the response of the two above comments makes me wonder if Liberals have learnt anything?

Implying that votes don't matter in a "Harper Dictatorship" therefore its acceptable to simply take off and enjoy another paying gig is a slap in the face to every riding that is represented by an opposition MP.

By definition, should MP's have not shown up to vote during the "Chrétien Dictatorship" to borrow Parrish's term for a majority?

Can you imagine if a sitting Opposition MP during the LPC majority took off from Commons votes to rack up some dough for speaking gigs and the party defense was it doesn't matter because the Liberals have a majority?

Granted Parrish was kicked out of the Liberal caucus so I am not entirely sure what her existing affiliation is, however based on the comments I can safely assume its not Conservative.

As for Kinsella;
I actually had to google exactly what JT's current role in the Common's is so that I could make my point;

Comparing the sitting Prime Minister of a majority government to the second opposition parties shadow minister for Sports, Post Secondary Education, Youth's security costs associated with travel is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmostein wrote:
Quote:
Comparing the sitting Prime Minister of a majority government to the second opposition parties shadow minister for Sports, Post Secondary Education, Youth's security costs associated with travel is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Exactly! You bring the right perspective to it.

The only real difficulty I have with this is wondering if it is hidden way to subsidize the Liberal Party. Presumably, all the money is accounted for, taxes paid, etc.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double dipping on company time is unethical at the least.

Meanwhile, the media witch hunt is on for Pamela Wallin and Duffy.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, chili ...

But they all do it, if they can. Broadbent did it, and Joe Clark was paid a bonus by the Progressive Conservatives to serve as their leader. Lots of others double-dip, too. It's just one of the benefits of being near the cookie jar when nobody's looking.

And the media are their henchmen. Conservatives are crazy if they think they can change that, at least in the short run. Look at how the media played Idle No More ... and even acted as if revealing the financial figures on Appiwapiskat was 'dirty pool'. Then, when people started to notice that Chief Spence hadn't lost any weight over her 44 day hunger strike, the media went 'tsk, tsk' ... as if it's bad taste to be that observant. She's a woman, after all, and public comment on a woman's weight violates a human right.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun News is having a field day with this.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:

What I find interesting is that its such a non-story elsewhere.

This isn't a small issue;
He was elected to do a job, and he missed worked so he could do another one while collecting paycheques from both.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

What I find interesting is that its such a non-story elsewhere.

This isn't a small issue;
He was elected to do a job, and he missed worked so he could do another one while collecting paycheques from both.

Well there's still no proof he did miss seeing they don't take attendance. Opening that door could open a can of worms though.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we need to define "proof".
My understanding is that he missed votes on days where he was speaking, and votes are matters of public record.

The argument could be made that he simply opted against voting but was in the building but that seems a little odd.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: