Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Ontario NDP leader Horwath open to coalition government Reply with quote

( for those who didn't think things could get any worse at queen's park think again they might just )

NDP leader Andrea Horwath open to coalition government

By Antonella Artuso,Queen's Park Bureau Chief

First posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:20 AM EST |

TORONTO - NDP leader Andrea Horwath is holding open the possibility of forming a coalition government with the new Ontario Liberal leader and premier.

"If I could work with (Finance Minister Dwight) Duncan and (Premier Dalton) McGuinty, I think I could pretty much work with anybody," Horwath said Tuesday. "I've proven that I can do this with the minority situation and that's how I intend on going forward.

"My preference is to sit down with whoever it is that's elected and get some things done for Ontarians. I'm not overly interested in the details of what that looks like."

Horwath said that unlike some Liberal candidates and PC leader Tim Hudak, she's not "chomping at the bit" for a quickie election after this month's leadership convention.

Kathleen Wynne told a leadership all-candidate's meeting on Jan. 9 that she's in no rush to take the province to the polls.

"The people of Ontario that I've been speaking to over the past weeks have no interest in an election," Wynne said. "I think that our first responsibility is to them - all of us. They expect us to work together and we've been hearing some great ideas that we can synthesize as we go on to govern in this minority government."

Horwath said Ontarians are unhappy with the Liberals but are weighing that against the significant cost of another election.

Ontario Liberals are in a minority position, and need opposition support to pass a budget in the spring.

The new Liberal leader and premier, to be chosen on the weekend of Jan. 25, would be forced into an election without Tory or NDP backing of a budget.

A coalition government would be a much more formal agreement between two parties - like the deal struck by the NDP and the Liberals in the late 1980s - to essentially govern together.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013.....government
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a perfect opportunity for the PC's.

The way that Parliament was prorogued infuriated most Ontario voters; painting Horwath as the opposition leader who is rewarding the Liberals for that tact is exactly what I want to see done.

We just had a government shutdown for months because the Premier decided even though he was a year into his mandate he didn't feel like doing the job anymore.

That's not an Ontario problem, that's a Liberal Problem.

We had to sit back and wait for them to get their own house in order while paying them the entire time.

Ontario has a right to chime in on what happened
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't seen alot of new polls out lately , one would have to wonder if the ndp's numbers are down and if they see little potential in a new election . i don't really see alot of easy ridings for them to pick up other than maybe northern ontario if some older liberals retire .

or the ndp has polling that indicates voters really don't want an election i really have no idea . i don't get the sense the average person is really that exicted about a provincial election even after the long progation of the legislature .
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
i haven't seen alot of new polls out lately , one would have to wonder if the ndp's numbers are down and if they see little potential in a new election . i don't really see alot of easy ridings for them to pick up other than maybe northern ontario if some older liberals retire .

or the ndp has polling that indicates voters really don't want an election i really have no idea . i don't get the sense the average person is really that exicted about a provincial election even after the long progation of the legislature .

The NDP only wins in the same manner that Bob Rae won in 1990.
As the lesser of three evils, Horwath's best opportunity is to argue that Hudak is a radical and the Liberals are corrupt and in the process walk up the middle of a bunch of ridings with 34% while PC and Libs secure 32's or something to that effect
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( interesting now there all trying to back away from there earlier interest in some sort of coalition , who knows what there really thinking . ndp changes there mind from one day to the next )

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath backs away from coalition with next Liberal premier

Published on Thursday January 17, 2013

Chris Young/THE CANADIAN PRESS file photo NDP Leader Andrea Horwath insists she’s not interested in “jockeying for a seat at the (Liberal government) table.”

Richard J. Brennan
Queen’s Park Bureau

9 Comments

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath has changed her tune on entering into a coalition government with a new Liberal premier.

Speaking to the Economic Club of Canada for the first time, Horwath reversed herself from earlier in the week when she did not rule out a formal agreement with the minority Liberal government to avert an election.

“I know there is a lot of talk lately about coalition governments. That’s not something that New Democrats are interested in. That’s not an option that I plan on pursuing,” she said Thursday.

Liberal leadership candidate Kathleen Wynne, who is one of the two front-runners along with former Liberal MPP Sandra Pupatello, also backed off her earlier position when she opened the door to a coalition with the New Democrats.

“I have not talked about a coalition,” MPP for Don Valley West said after a luncheon speech to the Toronto Board of Trade Wednesday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ca.....al-premier
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:

The NDP only wins in the same manner that Bob Rae won in 1990.
As the lesser of three evils, Horwath's best opportunity is to argue that Hudak is a radical and the Liberals are corrupt and in the process walk up the middle of a bunch of ridings with 34% while PC and Libs secure 32's or something to that effect

True, but this election is going to depend on the campaign, as the last one did. The new Liberal leader, whoever she is, is going to put such a 'different face' on the Liberal Party that they may escape the luggage of Dalton.

Where Dalton was mawkish and insipid, both of these women are elegant and intelligent. Where Dalton had a weasel-ish unction that detracted from his round-shouldered, damp-handed goofiness, both of these women have a sense of purpose and a clarity of mind that the public will find refreshing.

Hudak's got to start showing people that there is an alternative.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

True, but this election is going to depend on the campaign, as the last one did. The new Liberal leader, whoever she is, is going to put such a 'different face' on the Liberal Party that they may escape the luggage of Dalton.

Where Dalton was mawkish and insipid, both of these women are elegant and intelligent. Where Dalton had a weasel-ish unction that detracted from his round-shouldered, damp-handed goofiness, both of these women have a sense of purpose and a clarity of mind that the public will find refreshing.

Hudak's got to start showing people that there is an alternative.

For me to see Progressive Tory for example look at Hudak's latest offering and be even remotely impressed is a sign that the PC's may be getting it right.

Hudak has been on the road nearly every day discussing his "White Papers" on Ontario Prosperity and while some of it I don't agree with the majority is good sound policy from the Common Sense Revolution Days.

The Unions HATE Hudak, Hudak needs to embrace that.
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Ontario election campaigns take place in a fairyland atmosphere where, for example, the financial abuses and mismanagement of the McGuinty regime aren't to be discussed -- unless, that is, the conservative (small 'c') points the issue well before the election, and goes into the election with solutions.

Even now, it seems that all the parties are cooperating in allowing Dalton's proroguing Parliament to stifle them. For example, who knows the truth about Caledonia -- ie, that it never was a land dispute, or what provincial assets went from Provincial ownership to the Six Nations Confederacy? (After all, you need to betray the public somehow to get the booty to the natives, so they'll play ball.) Or that a Canadian court ruled that the events at the subdivision were a civil insurrection. (Covering that up forced the McGuinty gang to give the developer $30 million or so of taxpayer's money. But in Ontari-ari-ari-io, no responsible figure mentions it.)

More currently, the general public doesn't know -- because our lame media won't tell them -- that 650 wind turbines are being constructed in Essex and Chatham-Kent, and so far as I can tell, all the power is being sold at a loss to American power companies, and secondly, the wind-turbines themselves are owned by a company in Florida. How is it that nobody has their ass kicked for such stupidity? Or ever will?

Wouldn't you think that the media would want to find out about incompetence on that scale? Wouldn't you think a conservative political party would use some of its research funds and 'jam' to find out, and publicize the information, if the media so in bed with the powers that be?

Well, we likely won't have to worry about our 'Progressive' Conservatives doing anything that the Toronto Star would find to be judgmental. They're still embarrassed about Mike Harris.

As it is, once again, the Conservatives will go into a campaign treating their most powerful issues as if they are a 'third rail', and afraid to bring them up.

Jump to: