Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: 2013 Ontario Election Thread (Maybe?) Reply with quote

I received a call this weekend from Team Hudak asking me if I would vote PC and if I would be okay with a sign on my lawn,

As well as a few token questions about policy, what I was not asked for however was for money but rather support in terms of volunteering.

This leads me to believe there is some degree of confidence that the opposition will bring down the government at first opportunity.
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good.

Do you notice the changes since Dalton announced his was getting out of town as soon as he can? Even rank and file Liberals seem to think the place has to be fumigated.

Does the province face austerity, no matter who wins the election? I think so.

Can any party expect to win power by campaigning on that? It's not normal.

Can a party win on a core value of fiscal sanity in a three-way race? It can happen.
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if there will be an election , there is an article out today that andrea horwarth is open to a coalition with the new liberal leader to avoid an election . leads me to suspect the ont ndp aren't in a rush for an election .

i think only the ont pc's are nominating candidates at this point , they've nominated a fairly large % allready . there toughest challenge is going to be winning new ridings . in 2011 there was a number of easy pickup's , seats that really never should of been liberal to begin with came back . looking forward there isn't many easy pickups anywhere in the province and the GTA is still looking pretty tough and toronto itself doesn't seem like its going to go blue at this point .

but anyways i think the liberals will try and avoid having an election for as long is possible and if the ndp don't want one either we could be in for a long wait
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
i don't know if there will be an election , there is an article out today that andrea horwarth is open to a coalition with the new liberal leader to avoid an election . leads me to suspect the ont ndp aren't in a rush for an election .

i think only the ont pc's are nominating candidates at this point , they've nominated a fairly large % allready . there toughest challenge is going to be winning new ridings . in 2011 there was a number of easy pickup's , seats that really never should of been liberal to begin with came back . looking forward there isn't many easy pickups anywhere in the province and the GTA is still looking pretty tough and toronto itself doesn't seem like its going to go blue at this point .

but anyways i think the liberals will try and avoid having an election for as long is possible and if the ndp don't want one either we could be in for a long wait

Of Course;
Horwath is trying to position herself as being the "reasonable one".
Hudak should be willing to work with the new Premier as well under the condition they implement every aspect of his 2011 campaign :)

I am also not that convinced that a Liberal Party led by Sandra Pupatello and with Charles Sousa as Finance Minister has that much common ground with the NDP, however they may makes some small token concession to get the NDP (who doesnt have the money to campaign anyway) to back off till Fall,

However, the optics of how McGuinty left the office and the fact that there has been no sitting government for months being rewarded for that tact by the NDP plays into the hands of the PC's.

I am not too concerned about Hudak and new ridings;
He won a lot of the ridings that Harper first won in 2004 and 2006, he is appealing to the the rural and non-905 suburban/urban crowd.

Hudak running on the same sort of hard-line campaign Harris ran on in 1999 will result in 905 East and 905 West to take notice.
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hudak's policies have improved greatly since 2011. I'd love to see him get elected an for some of his policies to be implemented throughout the country.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Tim Hudak's policies have improved greatly since 2011. I'd love to see him get elected an for some of his policies to be implemented throughout the country.

I almost fell off my chair;

Which ones specifically?
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

Which ones specifically?

His tougher stances with unions, with regards to transparency and not forcing workers to pay dues. He has mentioned right-to-work. I like his policies on the LCBO. From what I read his healthcare platform is pretty good. He also sounds much more conservative.
RCO

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

Which ones specifically?

His tougher stances with unions, with regards to transparency and not forcing workers to pay dues. He has mentioned right-to-work. I like his policies on the LCBO. From what I read his healthcare platform is pretty good. He also sounds much more conservative.

there is some better policy but there is some confusing policy as well , such as trying to sell off the OLG or better known as ontario lottery corporation . i really never understood that one or reasons for selling off such a profitable asset . or exactly sure of what lottery systems are in place in other provinces . one might wonder if the pc's be better off if they just keep policy simple and not confusing . just focus on the economy and not worry about this other stuff that isn't important and used as smear attacks by the unions and liberals .
Bugs

votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The format of the leadership debates has been announced.

Quote:
Liberal debate will see 9 candidates on crowded stage
Leadership contenders show their debating chops for the 1st time Sunday

A total of nine candidates for the Liberal leadership will crowd the stage Sunday for a debate in Vancouver, the first in a series leading up to April 14 when the leader will be chosen.

Over the two-hour televised event, the combination of opening and closing statements as well as a series of 14 questions from moderator Randy Boissonault and the audience, means each contestant will get about 10 minutes total to actually speak.

Ian McKay, national director of the Liberal Party, began a media briefing Monday in Ottawa with the words, "Folks, we have a race," and said he was delighted with the number of candidates. But the nine-person roster means that candidates who have never run for political office of any kind, or who lost the last election they ran in, will have equal time with the perceived front-runner, Justin Trudeau.

"It's a challenge, but a great challenge", said McKay, adding that the event will be "tightly scripted." He said that the debate, to be held in a ballroom that holds 800 at Vancouver's Westin Bayshore Hotel, is already sold out. It will begin at 1p.m. PT.

The candidates' podium positions and speaking order have been chosen by lottery. Martha Hall Findlay will occupy the centre of the stage, with Trudeau on the far left, and Marc Garneau on the far right. George Takach, a little-known Toronto technology lawyer, has won first place in both the opening and closing statements. Marc Garneau will have the last word when candidates make their final closing statements.

The other candidates are David Bertschi, Martin Cauchon, Deborah Coyne, Karen McCrimmon and Joyce Murray.

The Vancouver debate questions will have several themes: foreign ownership, the environment, social housing, Pacific Rim trade, and electoral co-operation. The questions will be answered in mini-debates between teams of three candidates apiece.

There will be four more debates in Winnipeg, Toronto, Halifax and Montreal.

The Liberals are willing to let anyone willing to pay $10 vote for the leader of their choice ... and they can vote on the internet. Sort of like American Idol.
reidjr

Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
The format of the leadership debates has been announced.

Quote:
Liberal debate will see 9 candidates on crowded stage
Leadership contenders show their debating chops for the 1st time Sunday

A total of nine candidates for the Liberal leadership will crowd the stage Sunday for a debate in Vancouver, the first in a series leading up to April 14 when the leader will be chosen.

Over the two-hour televised event, the combination of opening and closing statements as well as a series of 14 questions from moderator Randy Boissonault and the audience, means each contestant will get about 10 minutes total to actually speak.

Ian McKay, national director of the Liberal Party, began a media briefing Monday in Ottawa with the words, "Folks, we have a race," and said he was delighted with the number of candidates. But the nine-person roster means that candidates who have never run for political office of any kind, or who lost the last election they ran in, will have equal time with the perceived front-runner, Justin Trudeau.

"It's a challenge, but a great challenge", said McKay, adding that the event will be "tightly scripted." He said that the debate, to be held in a ballroom that holds 800 at Vancouver's Westin Bayshore Hotel, is already sold out. It will begin at 1p.m. PT.

The candidates' podium positions and speaking order have been chosen by lottery. Martha Hall Findlay will occupy the centre of the stage, with Trudeau on the far left, and Marc Garneau on the far right. George Takach, a little-known Toronto technology lawyer, has won first place in both the opening and closing statements. Marc Garneau will have the last word when candidates make their final closing statements.

The other candidates are David Bertschi, Martin Cauchon, Deborah Coyne, Karen McCrimmon and Joyce Murray.

The Vancouver debate questions will have several themes: foreign ownership, the environment, social housing, Pacific Rim trade, and electoral co-operation. The questions will be answered in mini-debates between teams of three candidates apiece.

There will be four more debates in Winnipeg, Toronto, Halifax and Montreal.

The Liberals are willing to let anyone willing to pay $10 vote for the leader of their choice ... and they can vote on the internet. Sort of like American Idol.

I don't like the idea of charging $10 to vote if Harper did this you can bet there would be types of groups speaking out.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will pay 10 bucks to vote for Joe Volpe;

Also;
Free Toronto Stars started landing on my doorstep;

Election Season is a comin'

Jump to: